Brooklyn Bedding is one of the most established mattress manufacturing companies in the US. Brooklyn Bedding started as a single retail store, selling mostly close out mattresses. They have grown sizably since those beginnings, most notably through their recent completely re-designed mattress.
Their new mattress is the culmination of 20 years of expertise in the mattress industry and is being pitched as the “#BestMattressEver“. Can it really live up to those expectations? Sleepopolis decided to find it! Continue below for our full review of the Brooklyn Bedding mattress or click here to jump to the review summary.
By far the most unique and intriguing part of the Brooklyn Bedding mattress simply comes down to construction. Brooklyn Bedding is one of a very small number of online mattress companies that actually owns and operates their own factory (most other online mattress companies contract with manufacturers). I had to a chance to tour their factory in person at their HQ in Phoenix, Arizona and was blown away by the sheer scale. It’s a massive 145,000 square foot operation that can crank out upwards to 1,600 mattress a day.
Owning their own factory gives Brooklyn Bedding extraordinary control over their materials, cost, and assembly specifications. It also allows them to further eliminate middle men, resulting in a truly impressive cost savings for the consumer. If you were to buy this mattress in a retail store you can be sure you’d be looking well over $2,000+.
The Brooklyn Bedding mattress is 10″ mattress constructed from 3 layers of foam.
- Top layer (comfort) – this is a 2″ layer of Talalay latex. All latex foams offer great comfort, bounce, and cooling. Talalay latex is a bit more consistent than Dunlap during manufacturing, as a result it was selected for the top layer to provide the same feel across the entirety of the mattress for every mattress they create.
- Middle layer (comfort) – this is a 2″ layer of Dunlap latex. Just like with Talalay, Dunlap latex has great comfort, bounce, and cooling. However, Dunlap is extremely durable stuff. Placing it in the middle of the mattress helps provide many of the same great benefits of Talalay, but with the added feature of extra durability and longevity. This layer is a good bit firmer than the top layer, which makes it better for deep compression supportive feel.
- Bottom layer (support) – this is a 6″ layer of high density polyfoam. It acts as a support and foundational foam for the mattress, while remaining breathable and giving the mattress shape.
The cover is a quilted cotton polyester blended fabric. The cover is extremely soft and just has a great feel to it. It’s been quilted with a thin layer of polyfoam (3/4″ thick), which gives it an almost mini-pillow top like feel. The cotton construction ensures it has great breathability and allows air to flow both in and out of the cover.
Aesthetically the cover has a look similar to many of the newer online mattress companies. It has a nice contrasting look with the grey side panels and the all white cover. Personally, I really like the style. Even with the logo running all along the perimeter it just has a cool modern look to it.
Firmness, Comfort, & Support
The Brooklyn Bedding mattress comes in 3 different firmness levels. For this review I slept on their medium firmness, which sits at about a 6 out of 10 on the firmness scale (where 10 is the most firm). You can also order the Brooklyn Bedding mattress in soft or firm levels. Their soft mattress is rated at a 4 out of 10 and their firm mattress is rated at an 8 out of 10.
This is a question I receive fairly often and here is my best recommendation. If you aren’t really sure what to order I almost always recommend ordering the medium firmness (for any mattress, not just Brooklyn Bedding). The vast majority of sleepers, about 80% in fact, prefer a medium firmness level. So unless you know for sure you like very soft or very firm, chances are you probably will be most happy with the medium firmness level.
The most defining characteristic of the Brooklyn Bedding mattress comes in the form of its construction. There are very few online mattress companies that use 100% latex for the comfort layer, even fewer that use a full 4″ of latex. This design attribute gives it the best bounce I have experienced in any foam mattress I have tested. The only mattresses with more bounce would have to be of spring / coil construction.
For sex and other amorous activities this gives the Brooklyn Bedding a great and enjoyable feel. Additionally, the added bounce helps prevent that “stuck” or “quick sand” type feeling that you may get with other foam mattresses.
The latex foam also does a great job of helping to keep the mattress cool. Many foam mattresses get a bad rap for heat retention issues. During my sleep tests I didn’t feel hot in the slightest (and I live in Phoenix, Arizona).
The Brooklyn Bedding provides good body contour and hug for sleepers also. In a typical lying position there is about 1-2″ of sinkage. This provides appropriate body contour and support, without sinking too deeply and the mattress enveloping you. In general support was good for the mattress overall. During my sleep tests I slept my my back, side, and stomach, all positions were adequately supported.
Sinkage Tests & Motion Transfer
Sinkage, edge support, and hug are extremely important factors when deciding if a mattress will have the feel that’s best suited for your body. All mattress reviews on Sleepopolis go through 3 sinkage tests. I created these tests to help you understand how mattresses perform under various conditions and pressures.
- Back Lying Position – in a normal lying position on my back where my weight was evenly distributed across the mattress I saw 1-2″ of sinkage.
- Side Lying Position – while lying on my side I experienced 1.5-2.0″ of sinkage.
- Sitting Position (conservative) – in a conservative sitting position where I was sitting on the mattress, but further back away from the absolute edge, I saw 3″ of sinkage.
- Sitting Position (aggressive) – in a more aggressive siting position where I was sitting with all of my weight directly on the absolute edge of the mattress I saw 4″ of sinkage.
- Standing Position – standing directly in the center of the mattress with all of my weight focused on a single space (my feet directly next to each other) I saw 5″ of sinkage.
All things considered, these sinkage results are fairly typical of any foam mattress, but especially for this firmness level. I wasn’t blown away by amazing edge support, but if you were to buy this mattress you should do so knowing that the edge support is going to be about average.
Finally, looking at motion transfer. Very little. The latex foam does a great job of minimizing any movements and motion during the night.
If you decide to give Brooklyn Bedding a try make sure to use the exclusive Sleepopolis promo code. You can save 5% off any Brooklyn Bedding order with this link.
|Split California King||$1,050|
- Shipping – free shipping anywhere within the continental US, comes compressed in a box in 3-4 days
- Trial Period – 120 trial period (one of the longest I have seen)
- Refunds – 100% money back guarantee within the 120 day trial period
- Warranty – 10 years
- Made in the USA
- Discounts – save 5% off with code “SLEEPOPOLIS5“
Brooklyn Bedding’s new mattress checks most of my boxes. It’s a quality product designed, built, and sold by the same company. It has a very competitive price point compared to all online mattresses and quite simply crushes any retail stores prices. And it’s got a fairly unique construction utilizing 4″ of latex. All of these factors result in a balance feel, good cooling, great bounce, and a mattress that’s definitely worth considering.
I would recommend the Brooklyn Bedding mattress to anyone who falls into the following categories:
- You want a mattress with great bounce – if you want a foam mattress with great bounce, there really isn’t much of a better choice than Brooklyn Bedding. It doesn’t have quite the same level as innerspring bounce, but it’s much better than almost every memory foam. Among the best bounce of all of the foam mattresses I’ve reviewed.
- You want a balanced hug & body contour – the Brooklyn Bedding has good body contouring and a balanced hug feel. You’ll sink 1-3″ into the mattress, just enough to provide a nice comfortable hug.
- You want a mattress with all latex comfort layers – while Brooklyn Bedding isn’t constructed from 100% latex (their base layer is poly foam), it’s a great in-between option that offers all latex foam for the comfort layers. The top 4″ are latex foam.
- You want the best price – a really impressive price point for the quality and materials in this mattress. $750 for a Queen is a great price, even for online only mattresses.
- You want to buy from a company that’s been around a long time – Brooklyn Bedding has been in business since 1995, started manufacturing their own mattress in 2001, and launched online in 2010. They have been around a long time building and selling great mattresses at fair prices.
For more information on Brooklyn Bedding visit BrooklynBedding.com. If you decide to give Brooklyn Bedding a try don’t forget to grab our exclusive promo code. Use “SLEEPOPOLIS5” to save 5% off your entire order.