Hopefully you brought your mattress protector because another mattress battle is about to begin! In this weeks battle, we have the veteran, Leesa in one corner. In the other corner, the well known GhostBed is eagerly awaiting it’s chance to take on the Leesa. While both of these mattresses have quickly made a fan base, only one will be crowned the King, but who will it be, Ghostbed or Leesa?
Continue reading below to discover who will take home the crown.
Wishing you could read the full comparison, but don’t have the time? Click here and we’ll take you on down to the review summary for the quick version.
Leesa Mattress Review
Leesa is a 10″ mattress consisting of 3 separate layers of foam. The Leesa uses a top layer of Avena foam. Avena foam is a similar to latex, but with better longevity.
- Top layer (cooling & comfort) – 2″ layer of Avena foam. Avena is a foam and acts extremely similar to latex, providing much of the bounce, comfort, and response for the mattress. The Avena foam top layer and core memory foam work together to create an adaptive feel that’s appropriate for most sleepers.
- Middle layer (support & pressure relief) – 2″ layer of memory foam. This layer works to provide the support and pressure relief for the mattress.
- Bottom layer (foundation) – 6″ layer of support foam. The bottom layer simply acts as a foundation for the mattress. Additionally, it works to provide deep compression support for heavier sleepers.
Lease’s cover is made from a combination of Polyester and Lycra. The blending of these two materials makes for a breathable cover with above average elasticity. Additionally, the cover is cut from a single piece of fabric, providing a tight fit all the way around the mattress. Adding to the mix is their unique design. An all grey color scheme with 4 white bars at the foot of the mattress makes for one of the most interesting covers I have seen to date.
Firmness, Feel, & Support
With a medium feel, the Leesa comes in at a 6 out of 10 on the firmness scale, where 10 is the most firm. Leesa created this “universal comfort” mattress with hopes of meeting the needs of a wider variety of sleepers.
As you first lie down on the Leesa mattress, the most notable attributes are the softness, comfort, and cooling that the top layer of Avena foam provides. As mentioned before, Avena foam is similar to latex in many ways, yet the lifespan and durability of Avena are slightly better. Leesa provides a balanced level of hug and sinkage without that stuck or overly enveloped feel.
Once again, that top layer of Avena foam is able to quickly respond to pressure, helping to avoid any sort of trapped feeling on the mattress. Additionally, this allows you to move around easily during the night and makes for more enjoyable amorous activities.
The support on the Leesa was overall very good. During my sleep test, I was able to sleep on my sides, back, and stomach without any issues. Each position felt as if it was as equally supported as the next.
From the added durability, very good cooling, pressure relief, and solid support, the Leesa is a well rounded mattress. Sold at such a low price, it’s hard to beat the Leesa in terms of sheer value and performance per dollar.
Have you already made up your mind on the Leesa? Be sure to snag our Leesa coupon for $75 off.
- Warranty – 10 years
- Shipping – comes compressed in a box, free shipping anywhere within the US (including Hawaii & Alaska) & Canada, ships in 1-5 days (also available in the UK via Leesa.co.uk)
- Trial Period – 100 nights
- Giving Back – Leesa’s 1-10 program donates 1 mattress for every 10 they sell to those in need.
- Discounts – $75 off instantly
Read the full Leesa mattress review here.
GhostBed Mattress Review
The GhostBed mattress is an 11″ mattress built from layers of latex and memory foam. With a slightly thicker profile the GhostBed is a total of 11″ thick.
- Top layer (cooling & comfort) – 1.5″ of latex foam. Latex foam has great bounce, response, cooling, and overall comfort. It works with the memory foam to create a balanced feel.
- Middle layer (support) – 2″ of gel memory foam. Memory foam provides great pressure relief, support, and body contouring. Placing it below the layer of latex helps to further prevent heat retention issues in the mattress.
- Bottom layer (foundation) – 7.5″ of support foam. This layer acts as the foundational base for the mattress, supporting the top layers and also providing deep compression support.
The GhostBed cover uses a few different materials. The top white piece of fabric is made from 100% polyester, while the grey side panels contain a blend of polyester (51%) and polypropylene (49%).
On top, the white fabric is stretchy, smooth, and soft. Moving down the cover, the grey side panels work to protect the mattress with a more resilient material feel.
Aesthetically, the GhostBed did adopt what has become somewhat of the standard cover design for online mattresses; grey side panels and a white top piece. That said, GhostBed did not skimp out on the quality of this cover. Yes, it may be simple, but the cover seems to be well put together.
Firmness, Feel, & Support
As a medium to medium firm mattress, the GhostBed lands at a 6.5 out of 10 on the firmness scale (10 being the most firm). Similar to Leesa, GhostBed intended to create a mattress that meets the needs of a vast majority of sleepers.
The GhostBed has a slightly different initial feel than most mattresses I’ve tested. When you first lie down, the mattress will actually feel closer to a 7 out of 10 on the firmness scale. Yet, after just about 30 seconds of lying on it, the GhostBed will actually soften up about half of a point. After doing so, the firmness level remains the same from there on out.
The combination of materials used in the Ghostbed create a balance level of response, bounce, and overall comfort. Although the GhostBed is an all foam mattress, the top layer of latex does a great job providing sleepers with good cooling and bounce, while the memory foam is able to create great support and pressure relief. The mix of latex + memory foam is a well established design concept and one of the most popular choices for many online mattresses.
With memory foam placed below the top layer of latex, this mattress still has the ability to sharply contour to the curves of your body. After adjusting to your weight, the GhostBed will adapt to your body, and offer sleepers that memory foam contour, with a more even response time on top.
With regards to support, the Ghostbed does a good job. With its 11″ profile, the GhostBed has the ability to support individual sleepers up to 400 pounds. Even as a lighter sleeper (140 pounds) the mattress was able to fully relieve me of my pressure points and still maintain consistent spinal alignment in each sleeping position.
Overall, this mattress is another low cost mattress with many positive features. The cooling, support, bounce, and comfort bring this mattress full circle as another one of the better valued mattresses sold today.
Done reading and ready to buy? Don’t forget to use the Sleepopolis Ghostbed coupon to save $50.
- Warranty – 20 years
- Shipping – free within US (will go to AK or HI, but costs $600 for freight), ships within 24 hours, compressed in a box, also available in the UK via Amazon.co.uk.
- Trial Period – 101 nights
- Discounts – $50 coupon
Read the full GhostBed mattress review here
|Foam Layers||1.5" latex foam, 2" gel memory foam, 7.5" support foam||2" Avena foam, 2" memory foam, 6" support foam|
|Cover||Soft, thin, good stretch, good cooling||Soft, moderately thin, great cooling, great stretch|
|Firmness||6.5 out of 10||6 out of 10|
|Support||Very Good, supports up to 400 pounds per side||Very Good, supports up to 300 pounds per side|
|Price - Queen||$700||$815|
|Price - King||$825||$915|
|Warranty||20 years||10 years|
|Trial Period||101 nights||100 nights|
|Shipping||Free, compressed in a box||Free, compressed in a box|
|Refunds & Returns||Yes||Yes|
|Discounts||$50 Off||$75 Off|
Should I buy the Leesa or GhostBed?
Now the moment we’ve all been waiting for…which mattress will take home the crown, Leesa or GhostBed? Although this was an extremely close contest, I have to give the slight edge to the Leesa. After several months spent on each mattress, the Leesa was able to take the lead in a few areas and edge out the GhostBed.
That said, both of these mattresses are top tier and counted among the Sleepopolis best mattresses for 2016.
I would recommend the Leesa mattress to sleepers who:
- Want a medium feel – the Leesa comes in at a 6 out of 10 on the firmness scale, where 10 is the most firm. The combination of Avena foam and memory foam help round out the balanced feel with great bounce, response, and pressure relief.
- Want added bounce – the Avena foam gives the Leesa a nice level of bounce, without being too crazy, creating a nice feel for both sleeping and good push back for amorous activities.
- Want a cooler mattress – once again, the Avena foam + thin cover makes for a highly breathable mattress. Additionally, there is not a trapped or stuck feeling, therefore the sleeper does not have to worry about heat build up around their body.
- Want to buy from a company with a big heart – Leesa’s 1:10 program donates one mattress for every ten they sell to homeless shelters and others in need. This program has already donated over 5,000 mattresses in Leesa’s first 18 months of operation.
I would recommend the Ghostbed mattress to sleepers who:
- Want a medium firm feel – when you first lie down on the mattress, the GhostBed will feel closer to a 7 out of 10 on the firmness scale (10 being the most firm). After lying on it for a few seconds, the mattress will soften up and land closer to a 6.5 out of 10 on the firmness scale.
- Want a more memory foam contoured feel – despite the fact that GhostBed uses a layer of latex on top, the feel still leans more towards a classic memory foam contour. The GhostBed has a notable level of contoured hug around your body.
- Want a matching foundation – if having a matching foundation is important you can also order the matching box spring / foundation. It’s extremely well made, all wood design.