It’s new school vs. old tradition. In this mattress comparison we’ll be looking at Saatva vs. Simmons Beautyrest Black. Both mattresses are thick luxury coil-on-coil builds, both use high-end foam / springs / other materials, and both offer an amazing night sleep. But only one can be win this mattress battle.
Continue reading below for our full Saatva vs. Simmons Beautyrest Black mattress review or skip to the review summary for the quick version if you’re in a rush.
Saatva Mattress Review
The Saatva mattress is a 14.5″ coil-on-coil innerspring mattress (also available in 11.5″ thickness). The dual spring layers combine for a coil count of 1,300 and help to improve support, comfort, and long-term durability. However, the Saatva is much more than just springs.
- Top layer (comfort) – pillow top cover – constructed from an organic cotton, the cover of the Saatva is both soft and breathable. Additionally, a euro-style pillow top adds a nice degree of softness and comfort to the cover.
- Second layer (lumbar support) – memory foam – below the cover is a layer of memory foam. Although this is a thin layer, it is designed to act as additional lumbar support for the sleeper.
- Third layer (comfort + support) – foam encased contour coils – this layer provides the comfort and feel of the mattress. It’s built from 884 individually wrapped coils. The coils are wrapped in foam to minimize motion transfer, improve body contouring, and give the mattress it’s feel.
- Foundation layer (support) – high-profile hour glass coils – this layer acts as the foundation of the mattress. It’s built from traditional hourglass shaped steel coils. There are 416 total coils in the Queen size at a total thickness of 7 inches.
- Edge layers (support) – support foam – this layer rides along the edges and wraps the comfort layer. It helps to improve the edge support and increase durability.
The cover is constructed from 100% organic cotton. It has a great softness and breathability. Aesthetically, the cover has an interesting style that combines elements of traditional design with a more modern look.
Looks aside, what really makes the cover impressive is the euro-style pillow topper. Euro-style pillow toppers have a feel similar to traditional pillow tops, but aesthetically look much sharper. Euro-style pillow toppers are built into the mattress cover, as opposed to sewn on top of the mattress. The euro-style pillow top includes a 1.25″ layer of super soft foam + 1 ounce Darcon and 3/4″ of Fiber. All of these materials sit on top of thin layer of memory foam, which helps to provide great lumbar support.
Additionally, Saatva decided to change up their cover from the original version, creating a much tighter level of stitching around the midsection of the mattress. This tighter stitching and more compact level of quilt allows for greater support around the lower back / torso area. The head and legs are able to sink normally while the middle of the body sinks less, receiving more support where you need it.
Firmness, Feel, & Support
Saatva is available in 3 different firmness levels:
- Soft – Saatva Plush Soft sits at a 3 out of 10 on the firmness scale
- Medium – Saatva Luxury Firm sits at a 6 out of 10 on the firmness scale
- Firm – Saatva Firm sits at an 8 out of 10 on the firmness scale
The feel of the Saatva will vary based on the firmness level you select. For this review, I sleep tested the Saatva luxury firm. Overall, I really like the feel. This is the first euro-style pillow topper I’ve slept on, and I really loved it. This came as a bit of a surprise to me, as I have previously slept on traditional pillow toppers and found them to be uncomfortable. The euro-style is a nice balance. There is a moderate amount of sinkage, around 1-1.5 inches in a normal lying position. Additionally, the combination of euro-style pillow topper + foam encased coils results in great body contouring.
The most notable and my personal favorite attribute of the Saatva was simply the bounce. I sleep test mostly foam mattresses on Sleepopolis, which don’t always have great bounce. There’s just something about the traditional innerspring mattress that is hard to compete in terms of bounce. Without getting overly explicit, I will say that sex was extremely enjoyable on the Saatva due to the increased bounce.
MATTRESS GUIDE: Best mattress for sex?
In terms of support I found the Saatva to be good in just about any position. I tried it on my stomach, back, and side, all positions offered consistent support.
Saatva does a robust job in terms of incorporating organic and other healthy materials at all levels of their mattress. Below is a quick list of the organic and green materials you’ll find in the Saatva.
- 100% organic cotton cover
- Plant based natural thistle as a fire retardant (as opposed to a chemical based fire retardant)
- All foams are certified CertiPUR-US (IE no heavy metals, no ozone depleters, no formaldehyde, low VOCs, etc.)
- Coils are built from tempered recycled steel and oven baked for reduced environmental impact
Saatva offers two thickness levels, 11.5″ and 14.5″. Despite the height differences, both the 11.5″ and 14.5″ feel the same. The height difference just provides a varied aesthetic and can be easier to get in and out of depending on your preferences. You can get the 11.5″ or 14.5″ in any firmness level for the same price. Only the mattress size varies the price.
- Shipping – 5-18 days, $99, comes via white glove delivery service (they will setup in your house)
- Warranty – 15 years
- Trial Period – 120 days
- Refunds – 100% money back guarantee if you don’t like the mattress
- Customer Service – all service and warranty issues handled by Saatva directly (they build, sell, deliver, and manage customer relationships)
Simmons Beautyrest Black Mattress Review
There are several Simmons Beautyrest Black mattress models. For this comparison review I selected the Black Elizabeth 15.5″ Luxury Firm mattress model. It compares fairly closely to the construction specs of the Saatva.
The Simmons Beautyrest Black is a 15.5″ luxury hybrid mattress. It’s built from multiple layers of foam and coils.
- Comfort layer (multiple foams & springs) – The comfort layer of the Simmons Beautyrest Black is one of the most complex layerings I’ve seen. There are 4 different layers to the comfort zone; 2.5″ memory foam (1″ AirCool memory foam, 1″ Micro Diamond infused AirCool memory foam, 0.5″ dynamic response memory foam), and 1.5″ comfort contour coils (individually wrapped). Each of these layers work together to create the contour, pressure relief, and comfort for the sleeper.
- Foundation layer – The support and foundational layer of the mattress is a layer of individually wrapped coils (also known as Simmons Beautyrests’ Verifoam advanced pocketed coil system). This layer also includes a 0.5″ layer of foam that helps to adsorb and reduce motion transfer. There are 850 individual coils in the Queen size. These high-profile coils also act as the deep compression support for heavier sleepers.
The cover fabric is constructed from a soft modal yarn fabric. Modal textiles are a type of rayon, which are crafted from cellulose fibers. These are generally plant-based fibers. You’ll find modal yarns used in numerous household items (towels, bathrobes, sheets, etc.). In addition, this cover contains Tencel. Tencel is known for its ability to breathe well and help maintain a cooler sleeping surface.
While the cover does not have a full pillow topper, it does have several layers that give it similar properties and feel that you’ll find in the Saatva. The cover is quilted with 0.75″ of gel foam and 1″ of soft comfort foam. These layers add great feel and softness to the cover.
Aesthetically speaking, the cover of the Beautyrest Black is quite nice. With more of a traditional look, the Elisabeth uses a white piece of fabric on top, in addition to small black diamonds that fill the angled lines crossing the mattress cover. Three grey stripes wrap around the mattress, rounding out the grey side panels as a whole. While this cover does offer more of a classic style, Beautyrest did a fine job of
Firmness, Feel, & Support
The Simmons Beautyrest Black is offered in a number of different firmness levels, ranging from 3-9 out of 10 on the firmness scale, where 10 is the most firm. For the purpose of this review, the Simmons Beautyrest Black Elisabeth mattress comes in at a 6 out of 10 on the firmness scale.
This luxury hybrid mattresses is built from a fairly impressive list of foams and innerspring layers. The coil-on-coil construction helps to increase longevity, support, and comfort. Additionally, there is a combined 4.75″ of foam (gel foam, comfort foam, and memory foam). That’s ALOT of foam, in addition to the two layers of individually wrapped springs. This combination gives the Simmons Beautyrest Black mattress an extremely nice feel.
The layering of foam and springs offers a moderate amount of sinkage, impressive support, good body contouring, and great feel.
Bounce is another area where I wold expect to see this mattress excel. With over 1800 coils, the Beautyrest Black has the ability to respond to pressure quite well, creating a higher level of bounce, similar to that of the Saatva. That said, this mattress does contain more foam on top, which could absorb a lot of the response and reduce bounce overall. Yet, this could be a plus in terms of motion transfer. With the foam layers resting on top of the coils, energy is transferred into the foams before the coils, reducing the level of movement transferred across this mattress as a whole. Now, this mattress still contains a high coils count, so keep in mind that motion will still make its way through the mattress. The foam layers will do a nice job of controlling this motion to a certain degree, but the natural response of the coils is going to create bounce, which will lead to motion being felt across the mattress.
Cooling on the Beautryrest Black will also be similar to the Saatva. The coil construction allows for better airflow in and out of the mattress. This improved level of airflow helps avoid major heat build up or hot spots.
- Shipping – 14-21 days, free, comes via white glove delivery service (they will setup in your house)
- Warranty – 10 years
- Trial Period – 100 days
- Refunds – will allow you to exchange the mattress for a processing fee of $99. No refunds, except in cases of warranty issue.
- Custom Service – depending on the issue it will be handled by either US-mattress.com (or other retailer you purchase from) or Simmons Beautyrest
Above details are based on US-Mattress.com. Other retailer details may vary.
|Saatva||Simmons Beautyrest Black|
|Layers||7" hourglass steel coils, 4" contour comfort coils, 5/8" soft foam layer, 3/8" visco lumbar pad||Support coil system (thickness not provided), 0.5" support foam, 1.5" contour coils, 2.5" memory foam (varying types)|
|Coil Count (Queen)||1,300||1850|
|Height||11.5 or 14.5"||15.5"|
|Cover||Organic cotton cover, natural thistle flame retardant, euro-style pillow topper||Soft modal yarn cover, black / grey fabric along edge|
|Firmness||Soft, medium, and firm||Medium|
|Support||Very good||Very good|
|Price - Queen||$999||$3,014|
|Price - King||$1,299||$3,779|
|Warranty||15 years||10 years|
|Trial Period||75 days||100 days|
|Shipping||$99, 5-18 days, white glove delivery||Free, 7-21 days, white glove delivery|
|Refunds & Returns||Yes||Warranty related returns only. May exchange for $99.|
Should you buy the Saatva or Simmons Beautyrest Black Mattress?
So the big question, which mattress should you buy? The Saatva or the Simmons Beautyrest Black mattress. Both of these mattresses have many great quality, features, and a great design. That said, I am selecting Saatva as the winner of this mattress comparison.
Why is Saatva the better choice?
- Construction – very similar in terms of construction to the Simmons Beautyrest Black. Saatva has elected to use a thick coil-on-coil system as opposed to the SBR Black’s foam / coil hybrid. However, the build quality and feel is still highly comparable.
- Euro-style pillow top – you really won’t find many euro-style pillow toppers at this price. It adds a great feel and softness to the mattress without detracting from the aesthetic.
- Green / Healthy materials – I really love that Saatva makes a strong effort to incorporate green and other healthy materials. Ex. 100% organic cotton cover, natural thistle flame retardant, recycled tempered steel used for the coils, and all foams are certified with CertiPUR-US.
- Trial Period – Saatva’s trial period is quite simple. You have 120 days to try the mattress. If you don’t like it you can get 100% of your money refunded. This is significantly better than the trial period offered by Mattress Firm (and most brick-and-mortar retailers).
- Price – last, but certainly not least, price. $999 vs. $3,014 (Queen size). It’s not even a contest. By removing mattress sales men, fancy show rooms, and other middle men Saatva has created a compelling price point that’s virtually impossible to beat.
If you’re on the fence between Saatva and Simmons Beautyrest Black I would recommend giving the Saatva a try first. Bottom line, the trial period is significantly better. If you decide you don’t like the Saatva their return and refund policy is incredible. There’s virtually zero risk and it will give you the opportunity to save yourself $2,000-$3,000 vs. the Simmons Beautyrest Black.
The Simmons Beautyrest Black definitely has a different feel given that it has quite a bit more memory foam. If you don’t like the feel of the Saatva you may find you enjoy the deeper sinkage and memory foam feel that SMR Black offers.
Visit US-Mattress.com for more information on the Simmons Beautyrest Black mattress.