Bath bombs are a fun way to spruce up a bath while mixing in soothing ingredients at the same time. Bath bombs can have instantaneous and long-lasting effects on a bath. From the initial fizz to the wafts of aroma that spread through the bathroom, a bath bomb provides stimulus for almost all of the senses.
Whether for a gift or for some personal self-care, bath bombs can be a great addition to a bath time routine. That being said, not all bath bombs are alike. To help sort out the differences, we’ve analyzed some of the more popular offerings. Here is what we found out:
LifeAround2Angels Bath Bombs Gift Set
- Flower petals. While each of the bath bombs included in this set releases a fragrance and color, some even have flower petals inside. This is great as a romantic gift.
- Coconut oil. This product contains coconut oil, which is commonly used in topical skin products. Coconut oil is comprised of fatty acids and other vitamins that are used as moisturizing agents.
- Nice packaging. This product arrives with each bath bomb in a nest of paper meant to look like hay. Each is individually wrapped with relevant information, making it easy to identify when deciding which bomb to use.
- Not the biggest bath bombs. Some may wish that these bath bombs were larger, as they have larger competitors that may last longer.
- Clean-up. Though you or the recipients of this gift may enjoy the glitter and flower petals, the clean-up can sometimes be time-consuming.
These bath bombs from LifeAround2Angels has twelve unique scents that are unleashed when dropping the bath bomb in water. Also released in some of the bath bombs are glitter, flower petals, and natural oils.
INTEYE Handmade Bubble Bath Bomb Gift Set
- 4 sixpacks. This product comes with four boxes of six bath bombs. This is great for those hoping to hand out as gifts.
- Float. This line of bath bombs does a good job of floating in the bathtub. This makes for a more enjoyable and interactive experience.
- Shea butter. The Inteye bath bombs include shea butter as a key ingredient. Shea butter is commonly used as a topical ingredient due to its fatty acid and vitamin content.
- Lacking variety. These bath bombs only come in 6 different varieties. Some may enjoy exploring more aromas and colors.
- Colors not overwhelming. Though some will be pleased that the color isn’t too intense, but others may be disappointed that the bath bombs don’t change the color of the water too drastically.
The INTEYE Bath Bomb Gift Set has four sets of six different bombs that are easy to distribute as individual gifts. These bath bombs, made with shea butter and cocoa butter, float better than many competitors.
Anjou Bath Bombs Gift Set
- 20 pack. This Anjou set of bath bombs has 20 different varieties of color featuring 10 different fragrances and multiple essential oils. This is one of the larger sets available.
- Different sizes. A nice thing about this set is that the bath bombs come in different sizes. This makes it easier to choose the desired level of foam and fizzing.
- Price. With each bath bomb coming in at less than a dollar each, this is one of the more affordable sets available on the market. Great for those shopping on a budget.
- Lightly scented. These have a lighter scent than some other brands. Those hoping for the longest lasting aroma will have to look elsewhere. These are just average.
- Different sizes. Though some may be glad there are varying sizes per kit, some may be disappointed in the lack of consistency.
The Anjou Bath Bombs Gift Set contains 20 bath bombs with varying colors and fragrances. Each bomb is made with essential oils and has one of the more affordable prices per unit.
Best for Children
Sky Organics Kids Bath Bombs Gift Set with Surprise Toys
- Kid scents. This product is geared for kids in a number of ways. The scents included are grape soda, gummy bears, cotton candy, galaxy, and bubble gum.
- Natural ingredients. This line of bath bombs is made out of only natural ingredients, namely epsom salts and essential oils. The manufacturer promises a stain-free experience.
- Toys. These bath bombs have toys inside of them, making this a great gift for children. Those familiar with a cartoon where trainers capture monsters with a ball will be in for a surprise.
- Weak fizz. Some may find that the fizz effect lasts for a shorter time period and less intensely than other offerings.
- Strong scents. Perhaps because this is designed for kids, the manufacturer has made the scents fairly strong. This may be overpowering for some people.
This set from Sky Organics contains extra-large bath bombs that are specifically designed to be fun for kids. They feature strong, kid-centric scents and secret toys that emerge after the bombs fizz apart.
DIY Gift Kits Bath Bomb Making Kit
- Fun activity. This set allows you to make their own bath bombs. This is a fun activity for individuals or for a family.
- Pre-measured. A great aspect of this set is that it is rather turnkey; the ingredients are pre-measured so the fun can begin right out of the box.
- Additional molds. This product comes with cupcake-shaped molds with every kit, but you can also purchase additional molds for added variety. Great for those who want to keep on making bath bombs after the initial purchase.
- Takes a while to dry. Those hoping for bath bombs right away will have to be patient; these take a day or more to dry.
- Cost. This set will cost about double the price of a pre-made set of bath bombs. A clever person might figure out how to replicate the ingredients on their own.
This product from DIY Gift Kits has all the essential ingredients and tools needed for you to make their own bath bombs. This is great as a gift for all ages.
How We Picked
Bath bombs are a hygienic tool that can be enjoyed by people of all ages. They offer a great form of entertainment in the bathtub while enjoying different aromas. While many bath bombs may share similarities, we’ve identified a few key categories that stand out as being most important when differentiating between them:
Bath bombs have a few traits that most of them share. One is the “fizz” effect that typically happens when a bath bomb is dropped into water. This causes foaming at the point of entry.
Some products have longer-lasting fizzing effects, while others have more intense bursts of fizzing that don’t last as long. This effect goes well with bubble baths but can blend in if the bubbles are being created by running water at the same time.
Most bath bombs are identified by their scent, not their color or even the active ingredients. The fragrance of a bath bomb is often times the reason for purchase, as certain people may like a fragrance to be present while they are bathing. Not all bath bombs treat their aromas the same, however.
Some brands go heavy on the scent while others keep their scents at a lower profile. A pungent bath bomb may be overpowering to some people, as they may be more interested in the essential oils or color. Certain bath bombs have scents targeted to a certain audience, such as with kid aromas.
Even though packaging won’t actually affect the performance of the product, it can make a big difference in how a product is perceived. Bath bombs are often given as gifts, so the presentation means a lot. Manufacturers are aware of this; some even create their product lines with the understanding they will eventually be given as gifts.
Bath bombs can come in packages comprised of smaller box sets, which may be an ideal size as a gift. Those hoping to give individual bath bombs away as presents can find manufacturers that diligently package each bath bomb with care. The larger bath bombs may make a more appropriate present.
Not sure which bath bomb is right for you? Take a look at the following tips for some inspiration:
- Is this for you or is it a gift?
- If this is a present for someone else, it may be wise to find out the type of fragrance that person prefers. If the person already likes baths, you may be hitting a home run.
- If this is a purchase for yourself, it may be wise to opt for the biggest bang for the buck and eschew the products with nice packaging but small bath bombs.
- Are you looking for a natural product?
- Some manufacturers aim to create organic, vegan, or all-natural bath bombs.
- It is important to really pay attention to the ingredients; sometimes a bath bomb has natural ingredients but will be used along with synthetics.