Regardless of a bedroom’s shape, decorations, paint color, or furnishings, nothing fills a space quite like a candle. Not only is the light from the flame add a comforting and subtle glow to a room, but the scent can mask other smells and provide a whiff of a familiar or simply pleasant scent. These make the perfect gifts for a wide range of relations.
Candles come in many shapes, sizes, and scents. While the appearance and description of the scent can say a lot about a candle, there often is more than meets the eye. To help make a shopper’s decision-making a bit easier, we’ve sifted through some of the leading brands to give a list of our favorites:
Lulu Candles Luxury Scented Soy Jar Candles
- Top sellers. Those perusing the offerings from Lulu Candles may find that the 3-part top seller set offers three appealing options: “Pineapple Evergreen,” “Tobacco, Spice, and Vanilla,” and “Jasmine Oud and Sandalwood.”
- Soy wax. This candle is made out of soy wax, which is a natural and biodegradable material. Some consider this to be more eco-friendly than other waxes.
- Style. A great dynamic of this brand of candle is the savvy design work on the label and with its overall presentation. This is a candle that can complement any number of aesthetics that may be expressed in a bedroom.
- Subtle scent. These candles have nice scents but they are by no means the most overpowering. Those looking for a stronger scent may need to find another option.
- Wick goes out. You may need to get used to lighting this particular candle; the wick sometimes goes out during use.
This line from Lulu Candles features soy wax in a handsomely designed jar, available in individual units or as a set. Fragrances to be enjoyed include “Blueberry Cobbler” and “Sugared Pecan.”
Chesapeake Bay Candle Mind & Body Candles
- Frosted jar. The jars of these candles not only look elegant with their frosted surface, but the light emitted through the jar creates a nice ambiance.
- Notes. This company does a great job of describing the layers of aromas you can attempt to decipher. Each note (top, middle, and base) is described in visceral terms, such as “clean musk, rosewood, green foliage, sandalwood, anise,” for example.
- Diffuser. You can not only choose between several shapes and sizes of candle, but can also purchase a diffuser crafted with many of the same fragrances. This is great for those who don’t want to leave a candle burning at night while they sleep.
- Don’t always burn evenly. These candles don’t always burn evenly down the jar. Burning unevenly may result in less potential wax being able to be burned.
- Coffee table burn time. Some of the candles offered by this company have a rather short burn time. The coffee table candle only promises up to 24 hours of burn time.
The Chesapeake Bay Candle Mind & Body collection has poetically named candles that not only contains one of many fragrances, but each candle features an essential oil and several layers of aromatic notes for you to experience. The packaging and diversity of size are pluses.
Our Own Candle Company 4 Pack Mini Mason Jar Candles
- 41 different sets. This line of candles is available in a whopping 41 different varieties. Some packs have one scent while others are variety packs of four.
- Classic look. These candles are fashioned in a mason jar, giving them a very traditional appearance. This is great for classically decorated rooms.
- Affordable. A great thing about these candles is simply the price. You can get a four-pack for a price that some individual candles will exceed.
- Small size. These candles are only about 3.5 ounces each and won’t last as long as other larger options.
- Handle can break off. Though they are a cute flourish, the handles on the mason jars are rather thin and can break off easily by falling off a bedside table or through shipping.
This line of candles from Our Own Candle Company features four packs of cute mini mason jar candles. There are over 40 different scents and variety packs to choose from.
Best Gift for Women
Yinuo Candle Scented Candle Gift Sets for Women
- Design. These candles are beautifully designed with artistic patterns and shapes. These will add color and flair to any room.
- Packaging. People receiving these candles as a gift will instantly see a blast of color in a cute package. These are great as gifts due to the packaging and style of the candles.
- 3 sets. There are three different gift sets with four different candles each. Each set has its own color scheme and aesthetic.
- Short burn time. These candles only promise up to 20-25 hours of burn time, one of the shorter durations one will find.
- Cheesy ribbon. While the packaging overall is surprisingly chic, the ribbon included says “gift” over and over again. This could have been done without.
These gift sets from Yinuo features elaborate designs with colorful and unique art on each candle. The packaging is so nice it may not even need wrapping paper.
Homesick Scented Candles
- 60+ hour burn time. While some candle companies boast a burn time maxing out around 20 or 30 hours, these candles can last up to 80 hours. This is one of the longer durations available.
- Simple theme. These candles sport a wonderful theme; each one represents one of the states in the United States. The silhouette of each state adorns every label.
- Scents inspired by states. Each candle is based on fragrances that are associated or native to each state. The Arkansas candle, for example, evokes the aromas of the Ozarks with magnolia flowers, cream, vanilla, and maple.
- Price. These candles are not the most affordable on offer. Expect to pay double the price of some comparably-sized candles.
- Glass turns black. Perhaps due to the shape of the candle, the glass around the wax can start to turn black at a certain point. The candle may have to be turned to avoid it being an eyesore.
This series of candles from Homesick features a candle for every US state. The packaging and design are nice, and each candle attempts at a sentimental and olfactory nod to the state it is representing.
How We Picked
Candles make the perfect gift for oneself or a loved one, work associate, or friend. These small home accoutrements have an outsized effect on the mood of a bedroom, or any room, through the lighting, design, and the scent of the candle. They can make bedrooms seem cozier yet more vibrant. Though most candles are inoffensive, it doesn’t mean that some don’t stand out over others. Here is what we weighed most heavily when evaluating some of the top brands:
The range of candle styles is very diverse; there most likely is a candle for every aesthetic. From traditional decors to more modern looks, candles can compliment all sorts of rooms. With pops of color or subdued but elegant simplicity, there are a lot of affordable options for a curious shopper to browse through.
The casing of a candle, whether glass or metal, can be an area where a manufacturer makes a style statement. Frosted glass can have a nice effect not only on the look but the glow of a candle. Metal casing can be decorated with lots of colors and imagery to add pop to a room.
A candle’s worth might be totally dependent on the eye of the beholder. There are candles that cost a few dollars while there are some that cost ten times their more affordable brethren. While size is usually a factor, it is not a rule that expensive candles are inherently bigger.
Candles with stronger scents can be more expensive, but so can cheaper candles that have an unfortunately overwhelming scent. The shape of a candle can determine its price, as can its ingredients. Often gift and variety sets are the best way to get a good bargain on candles.
Candles may look nice and smell nice, but some of that value is burned away if the candle itself doesn’t last long. Candles will advertise different ranges of burn time. These can be as little as 20-25 or as high as 80 hours.
This is an important determinant for those who hope to use the candle for long periods of time. Some people like the look of a candle, but may only rely on the lit candle’s scent when guests are present or for a few minutes before or after sleep. The burn time may not be as important for some, so they may be able to look at more affordable options.
Not sure which candle is right for you? Here are some guidelines that may help:
- Are you a candle person?
- Some people like candles so much they might consider themselves connoisseurs, while others may like them but don’t have such selective tastes.
- For those without much experience buying candles, it is advised to find a familiar scent that matches the mood one wants for a space.
- What is your aesthetic?
- Candles come in a wide range of styles and can be quite a representative personal effect.
- When buying a candle, try to find a product that you feel represents you and the vibe you are trying to furnish in a particular space. Same goes for gifts, it is wise to try to match the aesthetic of the person being gifted.