What happens when a mattress is just too firm? What if your once comfortable mattress is now in need of an upgrade?
Before you run out to buy a new mattress, you might want to consider how a mattress topper could solve your problems. A soft mattress topper can change the firmness of your mattress and also reinvigorate it with a new, comfortable feel.
There are so many soft mattress toppers out there it might be hard to find the right one for you. To help you narrow down your search, Sleepopolis has compiled a list of our favorite soft mattress toppers.
DreamFoam Bedding 2
- The DreamFoam will help add some contouring for back sleepers. They should feel the topper take the shape of their body and fill in the lumbar area.
- Side sleepers should also feel more pressure relief with the DreamFoam. They will feel a lessening of pressure on their shoulders and hips.
- The DreamFoam contains a gel infusion to assist with temperature regulation. Memory foam is known to trap heat, but this should combat the issue.
- At $69, the DreamFoam is the most affordable option on this list. It is a very good deal for such a comfortable topper.
- While it is sold for a relatively low price, the DreamFoam might not be the longest-lasting topper. It does not contain high-density memory foam so it might only last for a few years.
- The topper is slow-moving so it might make it more difficult to move around.
The DreamFoam is a softer memory foam mattress topper. It is designed to soften up a firmer mattress while helping to relieve pressure on key areas. The DreamFoam is also infused with a gel swirl, which is meant to keep the topper from trapping too much heat. The DreamFoam topper is also a great value option.
Best For Hot Sleepers
ViscoSoft 3” Memory Foam Mattress Topper
- The ViscoSoft contains thick, high-density memory foam. This will keep heavier sleepers from dropping through the topper and hitting the mattress below.
- The topper will provide extra contouring for back sleepers. At the same time, the ViscoSoft will support the lumbar area.
- Side sleepers should feel excellent pressure relief on the ViscoSoft. When you are lying on your side, the ViscoSoft will relieve almost all pressure on your shoulders and hips.
- The ViscoSoft’s high-density memory foam is a very durable material. This means the topper should be a good long-term investment.
- The ViscoSoft is a quality, durable mattress topper, but it might be outside of some people’s budgets. It is currently $149 for a Queen-size.
- Those with mobility issues might have trouble moving around on the ViscoSoft. It is not very responsive.
A major drawback of memory foam is that it can trap heat. Normally with a thicker memory foam mattress topper, you would have to worry about sleeping hot. The Viscosoft takes steps to make sure this does not happen. The soft memory foam is ventilated and infused with a cooling gel. The cover is knitted with bamboo and rayon and makes the topper cool to the touch.
Best Pressure Relief
Tempur-Pedic TEMPUR-Topper Supreme 3-Inch Queen Mattress Topper
- The TEMPUR-Topper is going to provide excellent pressure relief for side sleepers. They should sink in and feel little to no pressure on their shoulders and hips.
- This topper also offers a combination of support and comfort that back sleepers should be looking for. The TEMPUR-Topper will contour while also offering overall support.
- Larger sleepers should not have issues with bottoming out on this topper. The memory foam is thick and high-density so it will keep heavier weights aloft while still staying soft.
- The cover is removable so it can be easily washed at home.
- The TEMPUR-Toppers high-density memory foam is very durable. This should be a longer-lasting topper.
- It should be a good option for couples who want to avoid motion transfer. The topper should isolate motion on each side of the mattress so sleeping partners do not disturb one another.
- The TEMPUR-Topper, like many memory foam toppers, could make you sleep hotter at night. While some memory toppers contain gel or other cooling materials, the TEMPUR-Topper does not.
- As with the other toppers above, you could have issues moving around on this topper. It is slow-moving which might make it difficult to change positions at night.
- At full price, a Queen-size TEMPUR-Topper is $400. This is the most pricey topper on this list.
If you are looking at a memory foam topper, you have probably heard of TEMPUR-Pedic. They were at the forefront of the memory foam revolution and are still one of the most popular memory foam mattress brands out there. The TEMPUR-Topper has that classic Tempur-Pedic feel that allows you to slowly sink in. It is a great way to get the Tempur-Pedic experience without having to buy a new mattress.
Tuft & Needle Topper
- The Tuft & Needle is more responsive than most memory foam toppers. It bounces back into place quickly so you should never feel stuck in the topper.
- The Responsive Foam is open-celled. This plus the breathable cover should ensure that air flows through the topper, keeping it cool at night.
- The Tuft & Needle should soften your mattress enough to make sure you get the needed pressure relief when side sleeping. Back sleepers should also feel some added contouring.
- The Tuft & Needle might not provide as much pressure relief as a thicker memory foam mattress topper.
- AT $150, it is not pricey but also not as affordable as some other memory foam options.
Memory foam can make it more difficult to move around. The Tuft & Needle is a topper with a responsive alternative to memory foam. It is 2” thick and contains 2” of hypoallergenic Responsive Foam. The Tuft & Needle also features a soft, breathable cover with silicone beads to keep the topper from shifting around on the mattress.
Who Should Get A Soft Mattress Topper?
So, how do you know if a soft mattress topper is right for you? Read below and see if any of these criteria match your situation.
- You are a side sleeper. If your mattress is too firm and you sleep on your side, buying a soft mattress topper would be a wise decision. Sleeping on a firm mattress, you could feel some serious pressure on your shoulders and hips. A soft mattress topper could help relieve this pressure, allowing you to sleep more comfortably.
- You are a back sleeper. Back sleepers require a mattress with a balance of comfort and support. If your mattress is too firm, your hips won’t be able to sink in, and this could cause lower-back strain. A soft mattress topper should let your hips sink in and could even provide proper lumbar support.
- You want to sink further into your mattress. Sleeping on top of a mattress is not for everyone. Some people prefer to sleep deeper in their mattress. A soft mattress topper will allow you to sink further into the mattress and feel more enveloped.
Who Should Not Get a Soft Mattress Topper?
- You are a stomach sleeper. It is a rare instance when a stomach sleeper should buy a soft mattress topper. Stomach sleepers need more support than those who sleep on their back or side. When you sleep on your stomach, you want to make sure you are getting even support across your entire body. Also, you don’t want your hips to sink in, causing pain in your lumbar area.
- You prefer to feel like you’re sleeping “on top” of your mattress topper. If you pick up a soft mattress topper, it is likely that you will sink into your mattress. This feeling is not for everyone. For those who prefer to sleep on top of the mattress topper, a firmer option might be in order.
Sleepopolis Buying Tips
So, you’ve decided that a soft mattress topper is right for you. What do you do now? If you want to look past the list provided above, here are some things to consider:
- Your sleeping position. As stated above, soft mattress toppers are a great choice for back and side sleepers. However, if you are a back sleeper, you might not want a topper that as extremely soft. If you are a side sleeper, you want a topper on the softer end of the spectrum.
- Your weight. Your weight can affect your experience with a soft mattress topper. If you are on the larger side, a thinner low-density memory foam topper might let you drop right through. Larger people will want to find a thicker topper with high-density memory foam. On the other hand, lighter people could be fine on a thinner, low-density memory foam topper.
- Feel preference. While a good majority of soft mattress toppers have a memory foam feel, this is not always the case. Some feature memory foam alternatives that are more responsive. There are even some soft mattress toppers that contain wool and have a pillow top feel.
- Durability and price. As with any mattress or bedding purchase, think about whether or not it is a sound investment. You could save money on a lower-density foam mattress topper, but it might not last too long. You could also spend some more money upfront and get a mattress topper to last you for many years to come.
Whatever your reason for purchasing a soft mattress topper, one of these should be a great choice. However, there are still many other great soft mattress toppers out there. Keep all these criteria in mind, and you should be able to find the right one for you!