While high-quality specialty rugs may offer more value over time, not everyone is looking for an investment piece that’s hand-tufted or made from expensive materials. For people with children or pets, it may be preferable to buy a rug you’re not afraid of ruining. Or, for lifestyles that include frequent moves, something less permanent may be ideal.
Throw rugs are great solution. They add a decorative touch to bedrooms, living rooms, and even smaller dining areas. In addition to their ornamental appeal, they also help to retain heat, especially on hardwood floors during the colder months. The right rug can create an inviting environment for casual floor lounging or children at play. With the variety of throw rugs on the market, we surveyed a range of options to identify a list of recommendations.
nuLOOM Moroccan Blythe Area Rug
- Despite its light color, many report that it’s easy to maintain because of the material. It also comes in other modern shades with contemporary patterns.
- The rug resists snagging and works well in high-traffic areas.
- The moderately thick pile gives a bit of a cushiony feel, so it’s great for lounging and kids playing. For even more coziness, add a standard rug pad underneath.
- A nice choice for those who are looking for an affordable alternative to an expensive hand-loomed rug, without sacrificing a classy home look.
- Like most rugs made of synthetic materials, some report a slight smell that’s easy enough to air out with open windows for a couple hours.
This neutral-colored rug works well in the bedroom, living room, or dining area. It’s made of 100% polypropylene, a synthetic material that can withstand high-heat cleaning and resists stains better than natural materials like wool.
Unique Loom Solo Solid Shag Collection
- The shag makes this product a popular choice for a rug that’s comfy even without a rug pad underneath.
- This rug does not shed and withstands regular vacuuming—just be sure to follow the manufacturer’s instructions not to use the roller brush setting.
- The bright colors make this a fun choice for kids’ rooms, dorm rooms, or for matching a particular decorative scheme. Neutral tones are great for common areas of the house.
- The higher pile and shaggy texture means it’s not ideal in areas that expect a lot of foot traffic, or for homes with cats that like to scratch.
- Note that even the light-colored rugs use dark backing so when the shag is moved around the dark backing may be visible.
With a 1”-thick pile, this shag rug gives a lush texture for bare feet. The solid color (there are many to choose from) provides a complementary background for a room’s fixtures, while the shag gives it an interesting quality as a subtle accent piece.
ACTCUT Super Soft Indoor Modern Shag
- This rug features soft, fluffy material with a layer of underside padding, though it’s best suited for use on top of carpet or with a rug pad underneath.
- Can be machine-washed, but should be air-dried.
- Good for those whose main concern is price. The low cost also makes it ideal for buying multiples for different areas around the house.
- It’s lightweight and thin, so it doesn’t have the durability for high-traffic areas.
- Some note that the soft material can be slippery, particularly with socks.
This rug offers decent quality at an affordable price. It comes in a range of colors and provides a soft and inviting area for laying on the floor—a low-cost option great for children’s rooms, nurseries, and dorm rooms.
Best Faux-Fur Throw Rug
DII Contemporary Reversible Indoor Area Rag Rug
- People love this throw rug for its plush design. It comes in rectangle, round, and sheepskin shape. There are several colors available, including pastels and subdued hues.
- It’s versatile. The delicate texture makes it a lovely bedside rug. It works great on top of carpet or layered with other rugs. It also makes a nice statement draped on a loveseat or reading chair.
- For the stylish home, this product adds an elegant touch to modern decor.
- It’s not as easy to clean as other rugs we have reviewed, but since it’s meant for lighter use this shouldn’t pose too much of an issue.
- Like most faux-sheepskin rugs, there is some shedding.
This reversible faux-fur rug is extremely soft to the touch and adds a stylish flair. It’s easily moved around, and works equally well thrown over the back of a sofa, draped on a chair, or used on the floor.
Best Unique Design
DII Contemporary Reversible Indoor Area Rag Rug
- Each product is handmade and unique. The shabby-chic design is attractive and useful for masking stains in between washes.
- Machine washable for easy cleaning.
- It’s durable and reversible, making it convenient for areas that get a lot of wear and tear.
- Because of the specific construction of each product, exact sizes and colors will vary.
- It’s advisable to take extra precautions to protect against color bleeding, such as washing separately and using a rug pad.
Made from recycled fabrics, each rug is sturdy and features a one-of-a-kind design. Buyers may choose from combinations of like-colored textiles for a striped or gradient look, or multi-colored options which often make use of vibrant and contrasting tones.
How We Picked
When searching for the best throw rugs, we wanted to share products that are compatible with a casual lifestyle that may include children, pets, and guests in the home. The highlighted products are all relatively affordable and represent an assortment of aesthetic tastes. For the sake of comparison, our reviews use a medium-large size—around 4’ by 6’—as a jump-off point, but all products are available in different sizes, colors, and in some cases, shapes.
We weren’t looking for investment rugs—that is, the highest quality natural materials or ornate design and construction. The throw rugs we focused on offer decent value for the price point.
Since natural materials bump up the price quite a bit, the throw rugs we chose are primarily made of synthetic fibers. One advantage of synthetic materials is that it’s better equipped to withstand the high heat of steam cleaning, unlike wool or silk.
The design of a rug has a big impact on the atmosphere of a room. Whether it’s a subtle tone to complement existing interior design features or a bold statement piece, choosing the right rug for the space means browsing the wide array of products. This list introduces several different looks.
Unlike the costly and time-consuming cleaning methods necessary for specialty rugs, the throw rugs on this list were chosen for ease of cleaning. We note which ones can be vacuumed and/or machine washed. It’s important to note the recommended vacuum setting and wash cycles. Apart from that, spot treatments and hand-washing are generally safe.
To help identify the best throw rug for your situation, here are a few important things to consider.
- Where will the rug be used?
For high-traffic areas of the home, like hallways or an active living room, pick a rug that’s able to stand up to daily wear-and-tear. For an area like a guest room, something more basic will do. Thinner rugs are fine for use on carpeted floors or layered with larger rugs, while thicker rugs are good for smooth floors. To help rugs stay in place, consider rug pads and grip tape (and their added costs).
- What features work well with your lifestyle?
For households at higher risk for spills and accidents, consider choosing a more forgiving color or pattern to hide stains between cleaning. For rugs that serve as entry points or walkways, low-pile or rag rugs are a good bet; if a rug is intended for sitting or play, medium to high pile is a comfortable option.
- What kind of atmosphere do you want to create in the room?
A throw rug has the potential to enhance the overall feel of a room. Pay attention to particular furnishings and existing design elements. Are they classic or contemporary? Pattern-heavy or plain? Natural or vibrant hues? It can be helpful to think in terms of how you want to use contrast and/or uniformity.
Throw rugs are a fun and convenient way to spruce up the home by adding a bit of extra comfort and personality. We put together this list as a tool to help people find the product with the right design, quality, and price tag for their lifestyle.