The Eve mattress is one of the first online mattress companies from the United Kingdom to make its way to the states. It brings with it well established materials and design, in addition to a different bright cover and a bold look. But does the Eve mattress have what it takes to woo Americans over?
Continue reading below to find out! Don’t have much time? Click here to skip to the review summary.
The Eve mattress is a 10″ mattress deigned from 3 separate layers of foam.
- Top layer (comfort) – A 2.0″ memory foam layer. Memory foam is designed to provide great pressure relief and support.
- Middle layer (support) – A 1.5″ layer of polyurethane foam. This layer has a lower density and is able to breathe better, increasing air flow and helping to prevent heat retention issues.
- Bottom layer (foundational) – A 6.5″ support foam base layer. This foam layer simply acts as a foundational base for the mattress, providing good shape and a strong base.
The Eve’s cover is constructed from polyester giving it a soft, stretchy, and breathable finish. The side panels help provide the mattress with extra protection, as they are made from a sturdier fabric. This is an added benefit when moving the mattress.
Aesthetically, the cover is different. Eve uses an all white top layer and yellow side panels. This cover is most certainly one of the most colorful I have seen to date. That said, the yellow can be quite overwhelming if you’re looking for a more subtle cover. Personally, I am not the biggest fan of Eve’s color. I like that they steered away from the all to well known white and grey color scheme, but I would have preferred something a bit more toned down so as not to show through lighter / thinner sheets.
Additionally, this cover is fully removable and washer / dryer friendly.
Firmness, Feel, & Support
The Eve mattress is claimed by its manufacturers as being the world’s most comfortable mattress. After nearly a week sleeping on it, I’ve found it to be pretty good. On the firmness scale it’s about an 7 out of 10 (where 10 is the most firm and 1 is the most soft).
The Eve has a balanced medium feel to it. In a normal lying position I experienced moderate sinkage of about 1-1.5″ of hug. The top layer of memory foam hugs the sleeper, but does so without creating a dramatic stuck feeling. Older and more traditional memory foams have a tendency to create a slower response and more of a stuck feeling. The Eve’s design with memory foam on top of polyurethane foam creates a good balance, where you get the benefit of adequate support and pressure relief from memory foam, with added support from the polyurethane foam below. Most sleepers will tend to float on top of this mattress.
During my sleep test of the Eve mattress I was able to sleep on my stomach, back, and side. Personally, I found the Eve to be most supportive while lying on my back and side. In addition to the pressure relief I received, there was a good level of push back and overall support in both of these positions. My spine felt properly aligned throughout my entire sleep test. On the other hand, sleeping on my stomach was a little more uncomfortable. My upper body was not experiencing the same level of sinkage as my hips and midsection, which created a lot of pressure on my lower back. A heavier stomach sleeper may very well find this mattress to be more comfortable, but for stomach sleepers much under 150 pounds it’s not ideal.
My least favorite attribute about the Eve was its lack of bounce. The construction of this mattress takes away much of the bounce, which could be an issue for those couples engaging in amorous activities. With that said, the motion transfer is almost nonexistent. This mattress does a solid job of dissipating motion across the mattress. Therefore, you don’t need to worry about being woken up by a restless partner, or vice versa.
Cooling was not an issue on the Eve. The mattress was able to breathe well and during my sleep test was not uncomfortable. Due to the balanced type of hug, sleepers will avoid being enveloped by the foams, which can often cause hot spots or a warmer sleeping surface in general.
All mattress reviews on Sleepopolis go through a short series of shrinkage test . These tests are designed to give you an idea of the hug, support, and rigidity you can expect in various positions and locations.
- Lying on back – while lying normally on my back with all of my weight spread evenly across the mattress, I saw 1-1.5″ of sinkage.
- Lying on side – as I rolled over to my side, I saw 1-1.5″ of sinkage.
- Sitting on edge (conservative) – while sitting towards the edge of the mattress with my butt slightly further back, I saw 3-3.5″ of sinkage.
- Sitting on edge (aggressive) – in a more aggressive sitting position, where all of my weight was directly on the edge, I saw 4-4.5″ of sinkage.
- Standing in the middle – as I stood in the middle of the mattress with all of my weight at one point, I saw 4.5-5″ of sinkage.
Keep in mind, sinkage results may vary based on body weight and body type. As a reference point, I weigh 140 pounds.
- Shipping – free anywhere in the US, processing / shipping time takes about 5 days, compressed in a box
- Trial Period – 100 nights
- Refunds – 100% money back guarantee
- Warranty – 10 years
- Discounts – $75 off with code SLEEPOPOLIS75
- Made in the UK
I would recommend the Eve mattress to anyone who falls into the following categories:
- You want a medium firm / slightly firm feel – if you need a medium firmness feel the Eve can be a good option. It strikes a medium balance at a 7 out of 10 on the firmness scale.
- You want a smooth / flat mattress cover – the Eve’s cotton / polyester covering is not in any way fluffy. It’s flat, smooth, and fairly thin (to improve cooling). It doesn’t have the traditional padded / quilted soft top.
- You’re okay with less than amazing edge support – The Eve edge support isn’t terrible, but it doesn’t have the same type of very sturdy edge support that you’d find in a coil mattress.
- You want a UK made mattress – the Eve is designed and built in the UK. If you like the idea of a mattress made in the UK the Eve is one of the few options available easily available in the US.
For more information on the Eve mattress visit EveMattress.com.