Have the feeling you’ll never find a 100% latex mattress that impresses you? Think again. It’s time to welcome in the new PlushBeds Botanical Bliss mattress! PlushBeds is a company aiming to create a high end latex mattress with top notch comfort, support, cooling, and bounce.
Will the PlushBeds Botanical Bliss set the standard for latex mattresses in the online industry? Keep reading below to find out!
Don’t have a lot of time on your hands? Click here to slide on down to the review summary.
The PlushBeds mattress is a little different than most latex mattresses in the industry today. Most of them have one, maybe two layers of latex foam. Some have foams that are not latex, but possess latex like qualities. The PlushBeds mattress is a 100% latex mattress from top to bottom offered in heights ranging from 9″- 13″. For this review, I tested the 10″ Botanical Bliss PlushBed.
- Top layer (temperture regulation) – the first inch of material used in this mattress is a mix of their organic cotton cover and 100% Joma wool. The organic cotton cover is designed to provide maximum pressure relief, while the Joma wool keeps you cool and helps to regulate temperature. The wool also serves as the fire barrier layer.
- Middle layer (cooling & comfort) – 3″ of 100% Talalay latex. This layer works to relieve pressure points and provide support. Talalay latex offers great comfort, bounce, and cooling. PlushBeds wanted to make it the top layer of foam beneath the cover and wool to ensure there were equal amounts of support and comfort across the mattress.
- Bottom layer (support / foundation) – 6″ layer of ARPICO organic latex. ARPICO organic latex is a 100% natural product made from the sap of rubber trees. This layer is designed to provide the backup support for the Talalay layer above it. Additionally, for heavier sleepers the 6″ layer of latex provides deep compression support.
The cover of the PlushBeds mattress is made up of 100% organic cotton with a wool layer beneath it. The cover is both soft and plush, in addition to being highly breathable.
Probably the most unique feature about the PlushBeds Botanical Bliss cover is the fact that it’s knitted, not woven. Why is that beneficial you may ask? Well for starters, the circular knit allows for a wrinkle free cover. Although this seems minor, the aesthetics behind a wrinkle free cover are quite pleasing. Additionally, the cover is able to stretch without permanent distortion. Lastly, knitted covers have been known to be a little softer than some woven covers.
Next up, the wool. PlushBeds used a 100% Joma wool underneath their cover to assist with temperature regulation and breathability. This specific wool is able to absorb up to 30% of its weight in water and still not feel wet. In other words, when humidity levels rise and/or you sweat during the night, the wool fibers absorb and store the moisture, keeping the moisture level at your skin surface extremely low. Lastly, the wool is hypoallergenic, antimicrobial, and dust mite resistant. This layer of wool also serves as the fire retardant.
Aesthetically, the look of this mattress is pretty basic. It has a modern look consisting of an off white color scheme with “organic cotton” stitched to the top. The wave-stitch on the side panels and top of the cover add a little more variety to the cover’s style, but overall it’s quite aesthetically subdued.
Firmness, Feel, & Support
While the PlushBeds Botanical Bliss mattress is available in 4 different firmness levels, I tested the medium level which falls at a 5 out of 10 on the firmness scale, with 10 being the most firm. PlushBeds also offers a soft, 3.5 out of 10, medium firm, 6.5 out of 10, and hard firmness, 8.5 out of 10.
The feel of this mattress is quite impressive. At first, I was a bit skeptical of the idea of a 100% latex mattress. Could 100% latex really be that big of a difference vs. other latex hybrid mattresses?
PlushBeds did a great job with this one. Upon initially lying on the mattress, you feel a welcoming sense of comfort, pressure relief, and bouncy response. There is a decent amount of hug and contour with this mattress. With that said, the contour is different than that of a memory foam mattress. While memory foam typically has a sharper contour around your body, latex tends to have a more rounded mold around your body. Additionally, the latex does an excellent job of eliminating any pressure points your body will try to create. While sleeping on my side, back, and stomach, I really felt as if the mattress supported me equally in all positions. The Botanical Bliss does a very good job of pushing back against your body providing a high level of support while not taking away from the soft, comfortable feel.
Cooling was another impressive attribute of the PlushBed. Latex is known for its impressive cooling capabilities and this mattress has no shortage in that field. Throughout my sleep tests the PlushBeds Botanical Bliss mattress remained cool and pulled heat away from my body. With a wool layer on top of the latex layers, the mattress is able to absorb moisture and help maintain a comfortable sleeping surface temperature.
Probably the most enjoyable feature is the bounce. Once again, latex is known for high levels of bounce. For those sleepers looking to spice things up in the bedroom, the PlushBeds mattress is one I do not believe will disappoint. This mattress is among the top tier, with regards to bounce, for mattresses that I have personally tested. I would say it is as close as you can get to an innerspring mattress, but still enjoy the benefits of an all foam mattress.
All mattress reviews you find on Sleepopolis go through a short series of sinkage tests. These tests were created to help clarify how the mattress acts in various locations, positions, and pressures.
- Lying on back – with my weight spread evenly across the mattress in a normal lying position I saw 1.5″ of sinkage.
- Lying on side – while lying on my side, I saw 2″ of sinkage.
- Sitting on edge (conservative) – in a normal sitting position with my butt slightly away from the direct edge, I saw 2.5″ of sinkage.
- Sitting on edge (aggressive) – while sitting on the immediate edge of the mattress I saw 3-3.5″ of sinkage.
- Standing in the middle – while applying all of my weight to one point on the mattress, I saw 4.5-5″ of sinkage.
As a reminder, sinkage will vary based upon body weight. For your reference, I weigh 140 pounds. Heavier sleepers will tend to see a little more sinkage than what I experienced.
If you’re thinking about purchasing the PlushBeds mattress you can use promo code “SLEEPOP5” to save $50 on any PlushBed.
- Shipping – free, ships within 7-14 days, compressed in a box
- Warranty – 25 years: 10 years full replacement, 15 years prorated, only covers indentations of 1.5″ of greater
- Trial Period – 100 nights
- Discounts – $50 of any PlushBed with code “SLEEPOP5“
- Difficult to move – this mattress is quite floppy, making it very difficult to setup and move
Now the big question..who should buy the PlushBeds Botanical Bliss mattress?
I would recommend the PlushBeds mattress to sleepers who:
- Want a true medium feel (or other firmness levels) – the PlushBeds Botanical Bliss mattress falls at a 5 out of 10 on the firmness scale, with 10 being the most firm. This is important, because most online mattresses are either a 6 out of 10, or significantly firmer or softer than a balanced medium. The PlushBed actually nails the perfect medium feel. Additionally, PlushBeds also offers a soft, medium firm, and hard firmness level, creating lots of options no matter what your feel preference.
- Want great cooling – made from 2 layers of 100% latex, an organic cotton cover, and a thin layer of 100% Joma wool, this mattress sleeps very cool. Latex is known for its exceptional cooling capabilities and the PlushBeds mattress has no shortage of those features.
- Prefer a little more bounce than memory foam – once again, the latex is known for its bounce. This mattress has a good level of bounce that most memory foam mattresses do not. The level of bounce from the Botanical Bliss is as close as you’ll get to an innerspring mattress without purchasing an innerspring.
- Want full body support – with a rounded contour and strong push back, this mattress does a great job supporting your body. There is not a sharp contour or hug, but there is no lack in support either. While sleep testing the mattress I slept on my side, stomach, and back. All sleeping positions were adequately supported.
- Want a 100% latex mattress – if you’re certain you want a 100% all latex mattress it’s hard to go wrong with the PlushBed. 100% latex isn’t cheap, but PlushBeds has done their best to make the price point more reasonable than many other competing options available both on and offline.
For more information on the PlushBeds Botanical Bliss mattress visit PlushBeds.com. If you are ready to pull the trigger on the PlushBed, don’t forget to grab our promo code. Using code “SLEEPOP5” will save you $50 off of any PlushBed.