Built with organic cotton, natural latex, and pocketed coils, the Avocado Green mattress is an eco-friendly option for those who don’t want to sacrifice their green ambitions for sturdy support. But is the bed, you know… actually comfortable?
To find out, I put the Avocado Green mattress to the test, examining everything from its construction to how it feels, and how it sleeps to get to the bottom of the final question: Is the Avocado Green the right mattress for you?
Curious to know more? Then dive on into my full Avocado Green mattress review. Short on time? Check out my review summary.
I should note that the Green Mattress comes in both Standard and Pillowtop versions, which include an extra 2-inch layer of latex up top for added comfort. For this review I tested the Pillowtop version.
Save $100 with Code SLEEPFREE Avocado Mattress
Is the Avocado Green a Good Mattress for You?
Let’s kick things off with a brief overview of who this Avocado mattress might be best for. While I can’t make the decision for you, I can provide you with some recommendations.
Who I recommend the Avocado Green mattress for
- This bed is supremely bouncy, which tells me this could be a good pick for combination sleepers, particularly those who flip between back sleeping and side sleeping in the night.
- Heavier folks should definitely consider this mattress. The sturdy latex and coil structure offers ultra-support and durability, meaning the mattress shouldn’t wear out too quickly. Avocado mattresses are designed to support a lot of weight — up to 350 lb per person!
Who I don’t recommend the Avocado Green mattress for
- This mattress provides some great bounce, but it doesn’t absorb a ton of movement. That means this won’t be the best option for couples as you’re more likely to feel movements from your partner, or a pet jumping on the bed.
- I also do not recommend this bed for strict side sleepers who need deep body contouring and pressure relief. This mattress is too firm for those who sleep in the lateral position, and it does not allow much sinkage.
How Firm is the Avocado Green Mattress?
As with any feel factor, firmness is a subjective measure that can change a lot depending on one’s body size, shape, and weight. Therefore, it would be a bit misleading to only report my firmness thoughts here, as my body is bound to differ from yours. To mitigate this bias, I invited a few of my coworkers into the studio to test this bad boy out with me.
The score you see below is the average of all our personal firmness ratings!
Our team landed on an average rating of about 6.5 out of 10. I personally experienced this bed a bit softer than that, but some of my colleagues found it to feel a bit firmer. Considering the industry standard of 6.5 for medium firmness, it seems this bed straddles that line in a pretty compelling way.
I personally gave the bed a 6 as I found its cover and latex comfort layer helped to soften up the firmness of the pocketed coil system. For some of my coworkers, however, they were really only able to experience the coils as they quickly pressed through the gentle comfort layer.
Avocado Green Mattress Performance
While I could keep describing my experience on the Avocado in words, I’d much rather show you what I’m talking about than just keep telling you about it. So, to that end, I’m going to walk you through a couple specialized tests. I measured how the Avocado Green mattress performed in different sleeping positions, how it relieved pain and pressure, and how it might feel for couples sharing a bed.
Testing the Avocado Green Mattress in Different Sleeping Positions
Different sleeping positions and weights require different amounts of support. Generally, light sleepers don’t require as much support as heavy sleepers. Read on below to see how this firm mattress performs for sleepers of different weights.
Is the Avocado Green a Good Mattress for Light Sleepers (Under 130 lb)?
- Light Back Sleepers – This mattress falls at a medium-firm rating, right where back sleepers want their mattress to be. These sleepers get plenty of support from the durable latex and coils.
- Light Side Sleepers – Light sleepers tend to experience mattresses firmer than advertised. This mattress is too firm for these sleepers; they would benefit more from a softer mattress with more sinkage and body contouring.
- Light Stomach Sleepers – The Standard version of this mattress will provide the support at the hips that light stomach sleepers need to keep their spines neutrally aligned.
Is the Avocado Green a Good Mattress for Average Weight Sleepers (130 – 250 lb)?
- Average Weight Back Sleepers – I think average weight back sleepers will really enjoy this mattress. This bed allows these sleepers to lay on top of the bed rather than sink in it. This will keep their spines in alignment, which helps to reduce back pain.
- Average Weight Side Sleepers – In my opinion, the bed is just a touch too firm for most side sleepers. A firm model like this one can put pressure on your shoulders and hips, rather than relieving it. Even with the Pillowtop version, strict sleepers might want a softer mattress, or they could consider adding a soft mattress topper.
- Average Weight Stomach Sleepers – While the Pillowtop version is too plush and will have stomach sleepers’ hips sinking too far into the mattress, the Standard version offers just enough support.
Is the Avocado Green a Good Mattress for Heavy Sleepers (over 250 lb)?
- Heavy Back Sleepers – This mattress is a great option for sleepers who have a heavier body weight (250 lb +). The latex and coil design offers great support for heavier folks. These sleepers can rest assured that this mattress was built with their weight in mind.
- Heavy Side Sleepers – The Standard version of this mattress is quite firm, which will allow heavy side sleepers to avoid the sinkage they may experience with the Pillowtop version. However, strict side sleepers might find this mattress a touch too firm for their needs — it really depends on your individual firmness preference.
- Heavy Stomach Sleepers – Heavy stomach sleepers should do quite well on the Standard version of this bed, as the pocketed coils provide enough support for sleepers up to 350 lb.
Avocado Green Pain Relief Performance
When I think about pressure relief, I’m mostly concerned with how well (or poorly) the mattress in question is able to alleviate tension at sensitive spots like the shoulders, hips, and back.
To figure all that out, I like to use a handy dandy pressure map. I roll this baby out, hop aboard, and let the gadget do the rest! As I move around, the device tracks how my body’s interacting with the bed in real time, and creates a colored “map” to demonstrate the pressure it experiences. Areas of low pressure are demarcated from blue to green, and areas of high pressure range from yellow to red.
Back Pain – Stretching out on my back, I felt some nice pressure relief as the top layer of latex foam filled in the space at my lumbar region. Additionally, I found it incredibly easy to move around and change positions, which could be great for those restless sleepers in the bunch. I think the zoned support system of this mattress makes it a great choice for those suffering from lower back pain or sciatica. See my other picks for the best mattresses for back pain.
Shoulder Pain – Though I felt some initial comfort on my shoulder when laying on my side, the longer I stayed in this position, the more pressure I experienced. That’s not too surprising, as strict side sleepers tend to exert a lot of force on their shoulders. However, back, stomach, and combination sleepers with shoulder pain should be just fine!
Hip Pain – Turning onto my stomach, I felt okay, but not great. I thought the pocketed coils would do more to lift my hips in line with my shoulders, but I was kind of disappointed to find that they instead sank out of alignment. This lack of support for stomach sleepers may actually inflict more pressure rather than relieving it. Stomach sleepers with hip pain should steer towards the Standard version rather than the Pillowtop version, as it will provide a firmer touch. However, I think this mattress works nicely for back sleepers with hip pain, who should feel nicely supported on this mattress. Side sleepers with hip pain should avoid this mattress altogether and go for a much softer option.
Avocado Green Performance for Couples
When sharing the bed with a partner, you’ll want to keep a few more things in mind while shopping for a new mattress. Features you’ll want to consider include motion transfer, performance during sex, cooling, and edge support.
For my next test, I’m going to examine the Avocado’s motion transfer, or the amount of movement detectable from one side of the bed to the other. An important section for all sleepers, but especially so for those who sleep with a partner.
To illustrate this motion transfer, I dropped a 10 lb steel ball from heights of 4 inches, 8 inches and 12 inches and measured the disturbance it caused: the bigger the lines, the bigger the disturbance.
These are incredibly high motion transfer results, so you’re likely to feel your bed mate’s every toss and turn. This isn’t too surprising considering how bouncy this bed is, but could be something for you to consider if you have a particularly restless partner.
Although high motion transfer is not the most desirable trait for sleeping, it is actually beneficial for sex. A good mattress for sex is both bouncy and responsive, which is exactly how the Avocado Green is!
The Avocado Green’s organic wool cover, in combination with its naturally cooling latex comfort layer, make this mattress sleep really cool. I think this bed is a great choice for hot sleepers.
Thanks to its supportive layer of pocketed coils, the Avocado Green has excellent edge support! This means that you can stretch out from side to side, and corner to corner, on this mattress while still feeling the same support you do in the middle. This not only makes the bed feel that much bigger, but also makes the bed last longer without sagging.
What is the Avocado Green Mattress Made Of?
The Avocado Green Mattress features a straightforward, two-layer design of latex and pocketed coils. While there’s not a lot to the bed’s 11 inch profile, the simplicity is meant to create a structure that’s bouncy, taut, and ultra-supportive.
Need more deets? I gotchu! Let’s take a look at this bed, layer by layer.
Cover – Crafted with organic cotton and hand-tufted with Global Organic Textile Standard (GOTS) wool from their co-owned wool collective, this cover is soft, breathable, and designed to wick moisture away from the body.
Pillow Top Layer – What I’m calling the pillow top layer is made up of GOLS organic certified latex. This material has some fantastic bounce to it, so it works to keep the sleeper positioned more on top of the structure than in it. Buoyancy aside, latex is also known for its cooling properties, which will help to regulate temperatures throughout the night.
Support Layer – The bulk of the mattress is a tall pocketed coil system. The individually wrapped coils here double down on the bounce of the mattress, bringing a pleasant lift to the structure. Though pocketed coil systems are nothing new, what’s unique about Avocado’s is that it’s broken down into “five strategic zones,” which, according to the brand, help to support the shoulders, hips, and lower back in different ways.
Avocado Green Mattress Unboxing and Off-Gassing
Like all bed-in-a-box mattresses, the Avocado will have a decompressing period after it is unboxed. I recommend waiting 24-48 hours to give the bed time to fully decompress. However, the natural and organic materials in the Avocado mattresses do not off-gas, so there will be little to no smell!
Still trying to decide whether or not to purchase the Avocado Green latex hybrid mattress? Here are a few final thoughts to help you make your decision.
My favorite things about the Avocado Green mattress
First and foremost, I love that the materials here are all-natural and eco-friendly. This could be a real win for all you green sleepers out there! With only a single layer of latex standing between you and the thick section of pocketed coils, you’re likely to experience this bed as quite bouncy and firm. This makes the mattress good for back/stomach combination sleepers who will appreciate the excellent mobility. This level of mobility is also great for sex! And finally, this is a really durable bed, so should last you for a good long while. It is so durable that it can support weights of up to 700 lb total- making this a great mattress choice for heavier folks.
My Avocado Green mattress complaints
The Avocado Green scored high marks on my motion transfer test, which tells me you’re likely to feel your partner’s every toss and turn. This may lead to some long nights if you have a restless partner. I would recommend adding an extra layer of plush with a topper to minimize some of your partner’s movement. Additionally, there’s no body contouring here, so if you need deep sinkage and pressure relief, you may want to snag a softer mattress.
How Much Does the Avocado Green Mattress Cost?
Take a look at the chart below to compare sizes and prices of the Avocado Green, and remember to check out our Avocado Mattress Discount to learn how to save on your purchase.
Prices listed will be before discount or offer on each size.
|Twin||38" x 75" x 11"||59 lbs||$959|
|Twin XL||38" x 80" x 11"||63 lbs||$999|
|Full||54" x 75" x 11"||82 lbs||$1,199|
|Queen||60" x 80" x 11"||97 lbs||$1,399|
|King||76" x 80" x 11"||123 lbs||$1,699|
|California King||72" x 84" x 11"||122 lbs||$1,699|
Avocado Green Policies and FAQs
Are Avocado mattresses made in the USA?
Yes! The mattresses are handmade in California with non-toxic and organic materials.
Does the Avocado mattress need a box spring?
While a box spring can technically work with the Avocado mattress, it works best with firmer, non-yielding surfaces such as platform beds, mattress foundations or bed slats.
Can you flip an Avocado mattress?
The Avocado mattress does not need to be flipped. This is because the support layer is at the bottom, so flipping the bed would compromise the comfort of the bed. The manufacturer does recommend you rotate the mattress once per month, for the first six months, then once every three months.
Does the Avocado offer a sleep trial?
Yes! Avocado offers one of the best sleep trials on the market- a full year!
Does Avocado offer a mattress warranty?
The Avocado Green is backed by a 25 year warranty!
Avocado Green vs
Now that we’ve got the Avocado pretty much well and sorted, let’s take a second to compare it to some of its biggest competition: the Saatva and Zenhaven mattresses.
Avocado Green vs Saatva
- The Saatva is built with a classic innerspring feel, so is quite a bit firmer than the Avocado.
- Its coil-on-coil construction is also supremely supportive and works to promote a healthy spinal alignment no matter the position.
- All of this makes it a great mattress for back sleepers in search of firm support and mobility.
- Check out my full Saatva mattress review and see why it landed on my guide to the Best Mattresses for Back Pain.
Avocado Green vs Zenhaven
- The Zenhaven is an all-latex mattress made by Saatva (not a bed-in-a-box).
- It’s also flippable, with two different firmnesses folks can switch between by simply turning over the bed.
- Since it’s built entirely of all-natural latex, the bed is both super bouncy and super cooling, which could be a nice combo for anyone who overheats.
- Read my full Zenhaven mattress review.
Avocado Green vs
Besides the Green, the Avocado mattress company sells a variety of different mattress models. To give you some more insight, I wanted to include some info on how the Avocado Green compares to two other popular Avocado beds: the Avocado Latex and Avocado Vegan.
Avocado Green vs Avocado Latex
- Like the Avocado Green, the Avocado Latex is all-natural and eco-friendly, but the Latex model is 100% biodegradable, giving it an extra push to sleepers concerned about sustainability.
- Both mattresses by Avocado are durable and bouncy.
- The Avocado Latex is an all-foam latex mattress opposed to the latex hybrid build of the Avocado Green.
- Check out my full Avocado Latex review to learn more.
Avocado Green vs Avocado Vegan
- While the Green is 100% an organic certified hybrid mattress, the Vegan is PETA approved, and is a no wool hybrid mattress.
- Both models offer pocketed coils that have five distinct ergonomic support zones.
- The Avocado Vegan offers the same chemical-free fire protection as the Green, but without wool and instead has 100% natural graphite in the organic latex.
Take a look at our mattress performance rating for the Avocado Green below.
Avocado Green Mattress
- Edge Support