In the market for a new mattress, but can’t decide between spring or foam? Ever heard of hyper-elastic polymer? This is the newest innovative material on the market brought to you by the brand new Purple mattress!
Will this new mattress make a name for itself in the mattress industry? Keep reading below to find out!
Short on time? No problem. Click here to jump on down to the review summary.
The Purple mattress sits at 9.5″ thick and is built from 3 layers of foam & polymer.
- Top layer (cooling & comfort) – 2″ of a hyper-elastic polymer. This layer is designed to provide an extremely cool sleeping experience as well as relieve pressure points your body tries to create. The hyper-elastic polymer is built using Purple “smart grid” design, which helps to improve the cooling and comfort of the top layer.
- Middle layer (transitional support) – 3.5″ of polyurethane foam. The middle layer works with the top layer to create transitional support and deep compression support (especially important for heavier sleepers).
- Bottom layer (foundation) – 4″ of polyurethane foam. This layer is designed to act as the foundation for the mattress.
The cover of the Purple mattress is made up of a blend of viscose (27%), polyester (69%), and polyester-lycra (4%). The combination of these materials makes for a highly breathable cover. In addition to the breathability, the cover is both stretchy and soft. After tugging on the cover from several different angles, it was able to snap right back into its original shape without any issue. Purple’s cover is a great fit for the hyper-elastic polymer smart grid top layer. The two work well together to avoid any heat build up.
Aesthetically speaking, the cover has a modern look about it. Although it is the classic all white color scheme, the diamond pattern on top provides a much more sleek appeal than no design at all. In addition, Purple has their logo embossed on the sides of the mattress to help enhance design. Personally, I enjoy the look of the Purple. Although it is nothing extraordinary, they did a great job of taking an all white design and making it look quite sharp.
Firmness, Feel, & Support
Purple has a unique feel. On a firmness scale of 1-10 ,where 10 is the most firm, I would say the Purple mattress falls somewhere between 6-6.5. This mattress is designed to fit the needs of most sleepers.
The Purple mattress is one of the most interesting mattresses I have tested to date. The combination of materials provide a feel that I have not experienced anywhere else. Purple’s hyper-elastic polymer has latex-like qualities, but seems to do everything a little better. The support from this mattress is great. While lying down on the mattress, I did not feel any significant pressure point. The top layer does an excellent job of dissipating pressure between your body and the mattress. As a stomach sleeper, I felt as if my spine was well supported throughout my sleep tests. My wife is a back and side sleeper and felt similarly.
Although this mattress does a great job of supporting the body, it does so in a different way for every sleeper. If you’re a lighter sleeper(<130 pounds) you will feel more like you are floating on top of the mattress with very little body contouring. Medium weight sleepers (130-150 pounds) will sink a little deeper into the polymer and have a slight level of hug. If you’re heavier than 150 pounds, you will notice a more pronounced level of sinkage and contour from the mattress. Sleepers in the 150-195 pound range should expect to see body hug in the 2-3″ range (depending on size, body type, and body part). As you get above 200 pounds sleepers will begin to more prominently engage the transitional support layer, helping to create more support and hold a balanced level of sinkage and hug in the 2.5-3.5″ range.
Please bear in mind, these sinkage measurements are estimates based on the sinkage depths I experienced at 140 pounds.
What really gives Purple its special feel is the way the material responds and supports your weight. Larger and more weighty areas of your body will naturally sink farther into the mattress and be supported by the Purple polymer material and transitional support layer. In this way, your critical pressure points are more likely to find the pressure relief they need to feel rested and recovered by the morning.
Personally, I thoroughly enjoyed the feel of this mattress. The hyper-elastic polymer has such a unique feel compared to anything else I have tested thus far. The ability of the mattress to displace your weight and maintain stable support and comfort is impressive. The contour of this mattress is similar to latex, rounded. There is no direct forming of the materials around your body, which helps avoid that “stuck” feeling. As you switch positions on the Purple, the top layer responds instantaneously, even quicker than latex.
Now, on to most notable feature about the Purple mattress, cooling. The air pockets created from the webbed polymer smart grid help to keep the sleeping surface extremely cool. Only adding to the mix is the thin cover. Between the heavy airflow through the webbed air pockets and thin cover, this mattress is easily one of the coolest I have slept on to date. The light powder coating (pictured below) on the Purple polymer is a non-toxic proprietary plastic powder material. It helps to minimize some of the noise that the polymer would otherwise create.
Finally, let’s talk about bounce. The polymer material has a level of bounce comparable to latex, yet the mattress still shows very little signs of motion transfer. This feature is beneficial for amorous activity in the bedroom as well as not bothering your partner during sleep. Motion energy is only felt through immediate grid areas adjacent to where you are moving. This helps keep motion isolated to the sleepers who are actually doing the moving.
All mattress reviews found on Sleepopolis are put through a short series of sinkage tests. These tests are designed to provide a better understanding of how the mattress will react in certain situations where pressure is applied.
- Lying on back – As I lay normally on the mattress with my weight evenly spread out, I saw 2″ of sinkage.
- Lying on side – While lying on my side, I saw 2.5″ of sinkage.
- Sitting on the edge (conservative) – In a normal sitting position with my butt slightly off the immediate edge of the mattress, I saw 3″ of sinkage.
- Sitting on the edge (aggressive) – While sitting directly on the edge of the mattress, I saw 4″ of sinkage.
- Standing in the middle – As I placed all of my weight at one point on the mattress, I saw 5-5.25″ of sinkage.
Just a reminder that sinkage will vary based upon weight. As a reference point, I weigh 140 pounds. If you’re 150-199 pounds you can expect to add another 0.25-0.50″ to each of these measurements. Now, if you’re 200 pounds or more, there is a good chance you will see closer to 0.5-1″ of extra hug.
1/26/17 Update – Purple’s shipping is currently delayed 2-3 weeks.
- Shipping – Free, compressed in a box
- Warranty – 10 years
- Trial Period – 100 nights
- Made in the USA
- Weight – Queen size mattress weighs 110 pounds
I would recommend the Purple mattress to sleepers who:
- Want a medium firm feel – The Purple mattress comes in at a 6-6.5 out of 10 on the firmness scale. The firmness will vary depending on body type / size. The heavier you are, the more you will sink into the hyper-elastic polymer for a even more pressure relieving feel.
- Want an extremely cool mattress – Purple’s polymer web design creates air pockets that keep the sleeping surface extremely cool. In addition, the cover of the mattress is thin, allowing the mattress to breathe much easier.
- Want a rounded contour – Unlike traditional foam mattresses, Purple displaces your body weight providing more of a rounded contour. The contour is similar to latex, but the bounce and responsiveness is even quicker than latex.
- Want great bounce & great sex – The Purple’s polymer material provides a high level of bounce. The web design of the top layer does a great job of bouncing back to its original shape after sudden amounts of pressure are applied. The instant response, excellent bounce, balanced sinkage, and better than average edge support make the Purple an excellent mattress for sex.
- Want minimal motion transfer – Although there is a large amount of bounce associated with this mattress, there is virtually no motion transfer. The polymer material and design grid keep motion energy isolated to its originating source and does not extend across the mattress.
Looking for a little more on the Purple mattress? Visit onPurple.com.