Meet the Bear mattress! Bear is the newest online mattress to join the game and they are quickly turning a few heads. The Bear mattress is aimed at sleepers with active lifestyles who simply need a mattress to perform at the highest level.
Can the Bear’s 3 layer design, advanced cover, and graphite-gel infused memory foam meet those performance expectations? Sleepopolis put them to the test in this week’s mattress review!
Just want the short version? Click here to jump to the review summary.
The Bear mattress is a 10″ all foam mattress built from 3 different layers. The Bear is designed for sleepers who lead an active lifestyle and others who require truly restorative rest at night.
- Top layer (cooling + comfort) – the top layer is 1″ of graphite gel infused memory foam. The graphite gel infusion creates cooling on the sleeping surface that is 7 times cooler vs. traditional memory foam. This layer provides great comfort, cooling, and much of the feel for the mattress.
- Middle layer (responsive support) – this is a 2.5″ layer of highly responsive memory foam. This layer provides adaptive support that responds with the sleeper’s movements. Traditional memory foam has a slower response time and it can take time for it to change with your movements. Bear’s responsive memory foam rapidly adjusts support, provides great bounce, and acts as a transitional layer with the base foam.
- Bottom layer (foundational) – this is a 6.5″ high density support layer that acts as the foundational base for the mattress, providing mattress shape and deep compression support.
The cover of the Bear mattress is a blend of polyester and Celliant. Polyester provides a durable and soft surface, while the Celliant is infinitely more special. Celliant is a special thermoreactive mineral thread that converts body heat into infrared light. This has several important benefits.
- It directly decreases the temperature of the sleeping surface
- It converts your body heat into infrared light, which has been shown in a number of research studies to have a positive effect on sleep. Infrared light increases oxygenation of blood in the body, resulting in better internal temperature regulation, reduced muscle pain, and improved cellular regeneration.
No other special material has impressed me quite as much as Celliant has. Over the last year I’ve done in-home sleep tests on 25 different mattresses, 4 of which utilized Celliant covers. Celliant without question makes a noticeable difference in the sleeping surface temperature.
Aesthetically, the Bear mattress cover has a standard two-tone design. The white fabric on top has a nice softness to it. It’s quite thin, which helps to improve cooling on the mattress and also allows sleepers more direct contact with the foams (improving body contouring).
Firmness, Comfort, & Support
The Bear mattress is designed as a universal comfort feel. It strikes a medium balance at a 6 out of 10 on the firmness scale, where 10 is the most firm.
If I could sum up the Bear mattress in 3 words it would be: cooling, responsiveness, and bounce. The combination of soft cooling memory foam and rapid response memory foam create a delightful level of adaptive support. Unlike traditional memory foam that can take several moments or even seconds to respond to your movements, the Bear mattress adjusts instantaneously. There is never any “stuck” or enveloped feeling during the night.
The Bear has an above average level of bounce compared to most other foam mattresses. It’s not at the same level as innerspring mattress, but it’s significantly better than other memory foams. The bounce is really an extension of the improved responsiveness and helps to ensure the mattress is continually adapting its support. Additionally, the bounce has a positive impact on the Bear’s performance for amorous activity (yes, sexy times..). One of most frustrating features of many memory foams is that they can take much of the enjoyment out of sex, as they absorb such a high degree of energy it can really work against couples. The Bear’s level of bounce still allows for quality bedroom exercise without being so extreme that it becomes annoying as you sleep.
The Bear mattress does a great job of handling heat retention and keeping the sleeping surface cool. The combination of balanced sinkage, graphite gel infused foam, and Celliant work together to great effect. At no time in my sleep test of the Bear mattress did I ever feel it become warm. The sleeping surface remained cool no matter how long I stayed in any particular position.
Every mattress reviewed by Sleepopolis goes through a series of sinkage tests. These tests are designed to help give you an idea of how the mattress performs under various conditions and how the mattress sinkage and hug translates into feel.
- Standard lying position – in a normal lying position on my back, with weight evenly distributed across the mattress, I saw 1-1.5″ of sinkage and hug.
- Sitting position (conservative) – in a normal sitting position, where my feet are on the floor, but I am sitting a bit further back on the mattress itself, I saw 2-2.5″ of sinkage.
- Sitting position (aggressive) – in a more aggressive sitting position, where my feet are on the floor, but I am sitting directly on the edge of the mattress creating maximum pressure, I saw 3-3.5″ of sinkage.
- Standing position – in a standing position, where I am standing directly in the center of the mattress with all of my weight focused on a single point, I saw 4.5″ of sinkage.
The sinkage and edge support for the Bear mattress was about average for a foam mattress. While the edges are not overly impressive for sitting, they hold up fine for sleeping positions. When I slept near the edge of the mattress it did not collapse and I did not feel as if I were going to be ejected from the mattress.
As a reference point I am 6’1″ and 140 pounds.
If you decide to give the Bear mattress a try make sure to grab the Sleepopolis promo code. You can save an extra $50 off the Bear mattress with code “SLEEPOPOLIS50“. Just follow this link and enter the code on the final check out page.
- Shipping – free shipping, comes compressed in a box
- Warranty – 10 years
- Trial Period – 100 nights
- Discounts – $50 off with code SLEEPOPOLI50
- Made in the USA
All things considered, I really like the Bear mattress. From the first lie on the mattress I could tell it just had the certain “it factor”. The 3.5″ comfort layer is a bit thicker than most 10″ mattresses, which has a noted impact on the support and comfort. The foam layer design combined with the Celliant infused cover is a strong one-two punch that delivers a balanced, comfortable, and cool mattress.
I would recommend the Bear mattress to sleepers who:
- Want a medium firm feel – the Bear is a 6 out of 10 on the firmness scale. It strikes a medium firmness and should be suitable for the needs of most sleepers (provided you don’t need something super hard or super soft).
- Want a moderate level of sinkage – in most sleeping positions the Bear has 1-1.5″ of sinkage. If you are a larger sleeper or sleep on your side, that sinkage will be a little more pronounced.
- Want a highly responsive foam mattress – the Bear’s memory foam rapidly changes and responds to sleeper movements. It is much more like a latex foam with respect to responsiveness.
- Want great bounce – The Bear has just enough bounce to make it comfortable to change positions, get out of bed, respond to your movements, and improve amorous activities, but not so much that it transfers an excessive amount of motion.
- Want a cool sleeping experience – the combination of foam layers and Celliant infused cover works exceptionally well together. The Bear mattress creates a noticeably cooler sleeping surface and does a great job of dispersing heat even after hours of remaining in the same sleeping position.
For more information on the Bear visit BearMattress.com. If you decide to give the Bear a try grab the Sleepopolis promo code. You can use code “SLEEPOPOLIS50” to save $50 instantly.