If you’re an eco-minded shopper looking for a high-quality mattress, you’re going to want to take a look at the WinkBeds EcoCloud. Built with natural Talalay latex and recycled steel coils, this bed is good for your back and the environment.
Wondering if you’ll experience cloud-like comfort on this mattress? In this review, I’m going to tell you everything there is to know about the WinkBeds EcoCloud, including the mattress’s feel, construction, price, and policies. I’ll also share how this mattress works for specific sleep needs, which should help you decide if the EcoCloud is the right fit for you.
Continue reading for my full WinkBeds EcoCloud mattress review! Short on time? Skip on over to my review summary.
The WinkBeds EcoCloud mattress uses a combination of latex foams and pocketed coils for a bouncy mattress made with natural materials. Just enter your email to save
Is the WinkBeds EcoCloud a Good Mattress for You?
The best mattress isn’t one size fits all. To find the right mattress for you, you’ll want to look at a bed that caters to your specific sleep needs, including your preferred sleeping position, firmness preference, whether or not you sleep hot, and more. Below, I’ll list who I think the EcoCloud is best for, and which groups I think might want to opt for a different mattress.
Who I recommend the WinkBeds EcoCloud mattress for
- Anyone looking for a bed made from eco-friendly natural materials will be happy with the EcoCloud. I think it’s one of the most sustainable mattresses on the market.
- I’d readily recommend the EcoCloud to combination sleepers, who should find its medium-firm feel comfortable in a range of positions. It’s also quite bouncy, so combo sleepers will be able to switch positions with ease.
- The EcoCloud has zoned support, which is especially helpful for those who suffer from back pain, because it promotes a neutral spinal alignment.
- I think the EcoCloud is a good mattress for anyone who sleeps hot. Its organic cotton cover is nice and breathable, its latex layer is naturally cooling, and its coil layer promotes airflow through the mattress.
Who I don’t recommend WinkBeds EcoCloud mattress for
- I don’t think the EcoCloud is firm enough for strict stomach sleepers. These sleepers need a firmer mattress that will help keep their hips in line with their shoulders.
- The EcoCloud has fairly high motion transfer, which means you might be able to feel a partner or pet moving around on the bed. If you’re easily woken up by movement, I’d recommend checking out one of our best mattresses for couples.
- Sleepers looking for deep sinkage and contouring probably won’t like the EcoCloud. I’d recommend these sleepers opt for a memory foam mattress instead.
- Shoppers on a budget might find the EcoCloud too expensive. If that’s you, I’d recommend taking a look at our best mattress under $1,000 list.
How Firm is the WinkBeds EcoCloud Mattress?
Now that you know some of the basics about the EcoCloud, I want to give you a more detailed picture of this bed. When discussing a mattress, I like to start with firmness. A mattress’s firmness can tell you a lot about how the bed will feel to you. However, I’d like to note that firmness can be quite subjective — to help mitigate that and give you a more objective idea of this bed, I asked a range of folks in the office to test this bed so that we could give it an average firmness rating.
After spending some time lying on the EcoCloud, my colleagues and I decided to give it a 6.5 out of 10 firmness rating. Since the industry standard for medium firmness is 6.5, this bed is a true medium-firm mattress.
This medium-firm feel means that the EcoCloud should be comfortable in a range of sleeping positions. This is why I particularly like this bed for combination sleepers, since they’ll find side sleeping, back sleeping, and stomach sleeping comfortable for shorter periods of time.
WinkBeds EcoCloud Mattress Performance
To help give you a more objective view of the EcoCloud, I tested it for factors like pressure relief, motion transfer, and edge support. These tests are formulated to help show how the mattress performs when it’s slept on and how long it will last. Before I share those results, I’ll detail how this bed works for sleepers of differing weights.
Testing the WinkBeds EcoCloud Mattress in Different Sleeping Positions
Depending on how much you weigh, you’ll need a certain level of support. A mattress is also going to feel differently in different sleeping positions. Take a look at some of my recommendations below.
Is the EcoCloud a Good Mattress for Light Sleepers (Under 130 lb)?
- Light Back Sleepers – The EcoCloud has zoned support, which means that it’s a bit firmer at the hips, and softer at the shoulders and feet. This helps keep the spine in a straight alignment, which is very important for preventing back pain. Zoned support is particularly helpful for back sleepers and side sleepers, since they’ll want added pressure relief at the shoulders.
- Light Side Sleepers – Strict side sleepers might want something just a bit softer so their hips and shoulders can sink in further.
- Light Stomach Sleepers – Strict stomach sleepers will want to opt for something firmer that will keep their hips from sinking too far into the mattress, which will throw their spines out of alignment.
Is the WinkBeds EcoCloud a Good Mattress for Average Weight Sleepers (130 – 250 lb)?
- Average Weight Back Sleepers – The EcoCloud is a great mattress for back sleepers. it has zoned support, which is meant to help promote a neutral spinal alignment, especially when back sleeping.
- Average Weight Side Sleepers – I’d say this bed is a touch too firm for most side sleepers, although those looking for added support could do well on this bed.
- Average Weight Stomach Sleepers – Stomach sleepers need a firmer bed that will help keep their hips in line with their shoulders.
Is the WinkBeds EcoCloud a Good Mattress for Heavy Sleepers (over 250 lb)?
- Heavy Back Sleepers – I think the EcoCloud is a fine mattress for heavy people. WinkBeds mattresses have much more support than your average bed, which makes them a nice pick for heavy people.
- Heavy Side Sleepers – Heavy side sleepers should be happy on this bed. They’ll sink into the mattress a bit more than light or average weight sleepers, so it’ll feel a bit softer to them.
- Heavy Stomach Sleepers – These sleepers should opt for a bed that’s a bit firmer to keep them adequately supported. However, if you carry the majority of your weight at your stomach, this bed could offer a nice degree of pressure relief.
WinkBeds EcoCloud Mattress Pain Relief Performance
If you suffer from pain, it’s important to see how well a mattress alleviates tension at sensitive pressure points at the hips, shoulders, and lower back. On a mattress with good pressure relief, you should find your weight evenly distributed, which helps prevent soreness from developing.
To test the EcoCloud’s pressure relieving abilities, I used a pressure map. This map goes between me and the mattress when I test it, and it develops a computer-generated image of where by body was exerting high pressure and low pressure. The map turns blue to green for areas of low pressure and yellow to red for areas of high pressure.
Back Pain – As you’ll see in the image above, the map is mostly blue at my back. This is likely due to the EcoCloud’s zoned support system, which is designed to evenly distribute your weight. I’d definitely recommend this bed for back sleepers.
Shoulder Pain – I’d say the EcoCloud is a fine mattress for shoulder pain if you sleep on your back or stomach. I’d steer side sleepers with shoulder pain to something a bit softer.
Hip Pain – Again, this mattress is fine for hip pain sufferers who sleep on their back or stomach, but side sleepers with hip pain need something softer because they’ll be putting a lot of pressure on that joint.
WinkBeds EcoCloud Mattress Performance for Couples
If you sleep with a partner, you’ll want to make sure your mattress has a few additional features. You’ll want it to absorb movement well, be responsive enough for sex, have cooling capabilities, and strong edge support. Take a look at how the EcoCloud measures up in these categories below.
Motion transfer is a measure of how much movement travels from one side of the bed to the other. On a mattress with low motion transfer, you shouldn’t be disturbed by another person or a pet tossing and turning on their side of the bed.
To demonstrate the EcoCloud’s motion transfer, I dropped a 10 lb. steel ball from three heights that are meant to mimic different movements you’re likely to experience in bed. I then measured the disturbance on the opposite side of the bed using a seismometer.
The EcoCloud had fairly high motion transfer. However, this doesn’t come as much of a surprise since it’s made with innerspring coils and bouncy latex. Often, you will have to sacrifice motion isolation for bounce and responsiveness. If you sleep alone, this isn’t a problem, but if you share your bed with a partner or pet, it’s something you’ll want to consider.
I think the EcoCloud is a great mattress for sex. It has a bouncy and responsive feel that should make moving around easy.
The EcoCloud sleeps nice and cool. It has a breathable cover, and its comfort layer is made from latex, which is naturally cooling.
Edge support refers to how well a mattress holds up on the sides as compared to the center. On a mattress with good edge support, you can lie all the way on the edges without feeling like you’re going to roll off the side of the bed. Good edge support also prevents sagging, which adds to a mattress’s durability.
I found the EcoCloud to have great edge support! This is great news for couples and larger sleepers, since they’ll want to take advantage of their mattress’s full surface area. The EcoCloud is actually built with specialized edge support coils, and it’s good to know they really work.
What is the WinkBeds EcoCloud Mattress Made Of?
The EcoCloud is a hybrid mattress made from a combination of coils and natural latex foam that creates a buoyant, “on top” of the bed feel. Its materials are natural, organic, and sustainable, so you can rest easy knowing your bed isn’t harming the environment. Let’s take a more detailed look at each layer.
Cover – The mattress cover is made from organic cotton and sustainable New Zealand wool. It has a soft feel and is nice and breathable.
Comfort Layer – Next up is a 4-inch layer of Talalay latex. This natural material is bouncy and responsive, but still provides some nice pressure relief.
Support Layer – The bottom layer of this WinkBeds mattress is made from individually wrapped, recycled steel coils. These coils have zoned support, which means they are firmer at the hips, and softer at the shoulders and feet. This helps promote a neutral spinal alignment, which helps prevent back pain.
Edge Support Layer – Lastly, the EcoCloud is made with specialized edge support coils, which help prevent the mattress from sagging when you’re lying on the edge.
WinkBeds EcoCloud Mattress Unboxing and Off-Gassing
The EcoCloud is a bed-in-a-box mattress, which means it ships compressed in a box. This mattress is heavy, so I’d recommend unboxing with your partner or a friend. Beware that mattresses tend to expand quickly once you unwrap them. This mattress has little to no off-gassing period, so you can use it right after unboxing.
Before we finish up this review, I’d like to recap what we’ve learned about the EcoCloud. Though I can’t tell you if you should buy this mattress, I hope these final thoughts will help you decide.
My favorite things about the WinkBeds EcoCloud mattress
First and foremost, I love how environmentally friendly this mattress is. Its natural latex, organic cotton and wool, and recycled steel coils make it one of the most sustainable mattresses I’ve tested. I also think that this is a fantastic mattress for combination sleepers, who should feel mobile through its bounciness and appreciate how comfortable it feels in a range of positions. Finally, the EcoCloud’s zoned support makes this mattress great for anyone who suffers from back pain, as it promotes an ideal straight spinal alignment.
My WinkBeds EcoCloud mattress complaints
The EcoCloud does have fairly high motion transfer, and this is something for couples to look out for, since it means they may feel their partner tossing and turning or getting up in the middle of the night. Also, WinkBed suggests that you rotate the EcoCloud 180 degrees every two weeks for the first three months, and then once every three weeks thereafter, which some purchasers found to be tedious.
How Much Does the WinkBeds EcoCloud Cost?
Before purchasing a new mattress, you’ll want to take a look at the price. Our pricing chart for the EcoCloud is below, and be sure to visit our WinkBeds coupon page for the best deal.
Price listed will be before discount or offer for each size.
|Twin||38” x 75” x 13”||78 lbs||$1,299|
|Twin XL||38” x 80” x 13”||81 lbs||$1,399|
|Full||54” x 75” x 13”||100 lbs||$1,499|
|Queen||60” x 80” x 13"||117 lbs||$1,799|
|King||76” x 80” x 13”||135 lbs||$2,199|
|California King||72” x 84” x 13”||125 lbs||$2,199|
WinkBeds EcoCloud Mattress Policies and FAQs
How does the EcoCloud ship?
The EcoCloud is a bed-in-a-box mattress, which means it will come compressed in a box to your door. It ships for free.
Does the EcoCloud have a trial period?
Yes, the EcoCloud comes with a 120-night sleep trial.
Does the EcoCloud have a mattress warranty?
Yes, WinkBeds offers a lifetime warranty on all their mattresses, which shows you they really stand behind their products.
Is the EcoCloud mattress made in the USA?
Yes, all WinkBeds mattresses are made to order in their factory in Watertown, Wisconsin.
Do I need a box spring for the EcoCloud?
No, but WinkBeds does strongly recommend that you pair your mattress with their platform foundation. However, the EcoCloud can also be used on a slatted bed frame or platform bed.
Do I need to wait to sleep on the EcoCloud after I open it?
Nope, the EcoCloud doesn’t have an off-gassing period and WinkBeds says you can sleep on it right away.
WinkBeds EcoCloud Mattress Vs
Lastly, I’d like to compare the EcoCloud to some of its competitors from other popular online mattress brands.
WinkBeds EcoCloud vs Avocado Green
- Like the EcoCloud, the Avocado Green is an eco-friendly mattress made with organic and natural materials.
- The Avocado also has a latex comfort layer and has about the same firmness level as the EcoCloud.
- The Avocado Green is a bit more affordable than the EcoCloud.
- Learn more in my full Avocado Green mattress review.
WinkBeds EcoCloud vs Saatva
- While the EcoCloud is a hybrid mattress, the Saatva is an innerspring mattress with a more traditional feel.
- The Saatva comes in three firmness options while the EcoCloud comes in just one.
- Unlike the EcoCloud, the Saatva is not a bed-in-a-box mattress. It ships uncompressed, but Saatva does offer free white glove delivery, which means they will place it in your room of choice.
- Learn more in my full Saatva mattress review.
Other Models from WinkBeds
I’d be remiss if I didn’t mention how the EcoCloud compares to WinkBeds’ other mattresses!
WinkBeds EcoCloud vs WinkBed
- The EcoCloud is specifically designed with eco-friendly materials, while the original WinkBed is not.
- The EcoCloud is a latex hybrid mattress, while the WinkBed is a more traditional hybrid mattress, made with a combination of foam and a coil system.
- The EcoCloud sleeps a bit cooler than the original WinkBed. Its top layer of latex foam is naturally more breathable than the WinkBed’s foam comfort layer.
- Check out my WinkBed mattress review for more information.
WinkBeds EcoCloud vs WinkBeds GravityLux
- The GravityLux is an all-foam bed made with a combination of memory foam and high-density foams.
- The GravityLux comes in three firmness levels, and offers a bit more contouring thanks to its foam layers.
- The GravityLux is a bit less expensive than the EcoCloud, though neither are budget mattresses.
- Take a look at my GravityLux mattress review for more information.
Take a look at my star ratings below that show how the EcoCloud performed in our most important categories.
- Edge Support