Do you sleep hot at night? Then you may want to consider buying a gel mattress topper. Typically made of gel-infused memory foam, these products work to dissipate body heat, neutralize temperatures, and bring a little extra contouring comfort to your sleeping environment. And since they’re usually less expensive than the mattresses they top, they allow you to modify the feel of your bed without having to totally break the bank. But what’s the best gel mattress topper on the market? Well, I’m so glad you asked!
In this guide, I’m going to introduce you to some of my favorite gel mattress toppers! Though they differ in terms of style, design, and price, they’re all built to keep temperatures low so you can snooze comfortably all night long. I’ll also share the methodology I used to make my selections, which highlights all the most important factors to consider when buying a topper of your own. And at the very end, I’ll round things out with a few expert tips you can use to improve your search!
Best Gel Mattress Toppers
- Editor’s Pick – Linenspa
- Most Luxurious – Sleep Innovations
- Best Memory Foam – Lucid
- Most Affordable – Milemont
If you’re looking to seriously alter the feel of your existing mattress, take a look at this gel mattress topper from Linenspa. Built with three inches of gel memory foam, this model’s seriously plush, allowing the sleeper to sink in deeply for pressure relief at the shoulders and hips. And as far as cooling is concerned, this topper keeps it chill thanks to a series of gel beads incorporated throughout the foam.
- Side sleepers could find a lot to love in this topper as it provides plenty of cushioning for the shoulders and hips.
- I also like that this is a solid piece of gel memory foam as opposed to a gel-infused one. This means the cooling is going to be even more effective.
- The price is also right on this model, marking it as a solid option for budget shoppers or new homeowners.
- This topper isn’t very bouncy at all, so may not work fo
The Linenspa Mattress Topper is sleeps cool and comes in at an affordable price!
On the prowl for an ultra-luxurious gel mattress topper? Then feast your eyes on this model from Sleep Innovations! Stretching four inches tall, this topper combines soft quilted fiber fill with gel memory foam for a one-two punch of comfort and cooling. It’s a nice, balanced design that could do a lot to alter the feel of a bed that’s not giving you exactly what you want.
- If you want to sink deeply into your topper, this one from Sleep Innovations could definitely be the one for you!
- Folks who struggle with aches and pains in the night may appreciate the two-layer design, which works to alleviate tension at the shoulders and hips.
- In general, this is a super cozy topper that could work for a wide range of sleep styles and preferences.
- Unfortunately, the luxury feel does come with a luxury price tag, so this may not be the best option for folks on a tight budget.
The Sleep Innovations Gel Topper allows you to sink deep into bed to avoid aches and pains in the morning!
Best Memory Foam Topper
Memory foam fans will certainly want to check out this gel mattress topper from Lucid. Made entirely of gel memory foam, this 4” topper is thick and irresistibly plush, providing sleepers with all the body-contouring they could ever want. Plus, the material is ventilated, which helps to both curb the overheating of the dense memory foam and encourage extra breathability throughout the structure.
- This topper embodies all the great attributes of memory foam, namely its body-contouring, sinkage, and pressure relief.
- Side sleepers will be particularly well-suited to this topper as it should cushion the shoulders and hips as they press into the bed.
- All in all, this is a solid luxury buy that could do wonders for folks after a gentle, cozy sink.
- Stomach and back sleepers may find this mattress topper a little too soft for their liking. In general, these folks need firm support at the hips to achieve a neutral spine alignment.
The Lucid Gel Memory Foam Topper provides the classic body-contouring, pressure relieving comfort of memory foam that side sleepers will love!
If you’re shopping on a tight budget, I’d recommend taking a look at this gel mattress topper from Milemont. It’s built two inches of gel-infused memory foam, so while it’s not as thick as some of the other options you’ll see on the market, it still provides plenty of body-contouring and pressure relief. And the gel swirl is quite effective at dissipating body heat and lowering temps in the night.
- This is definitely one of the more affordable gel mattress toppers on the market, so could work well for those on a budget.
- I also like this topper because it’ll modify the feel of your mattress without overwhelming it, which could be great for those who want a slight comfort boost.
- And in terms of cooling, this topper is quite effective, so could work well for hot sleepers.
- This is a relatively thin topper, so may not be the best option for folks really looking to overhaul the feel of their current mattress.
The Milemont Gel Memory Foam Topper sleeps cool and comes in at a great price
How We Picked
Now that we’ve gone over my picks, let’s dig into the methodology I used to choose them. In this section, I’m going to go over the most important factors to consider when buying a gel mattress topper of your own.
Gel-infused v. Gel foam
There’s an important distinction to be made between gel-infused memory foam and gel memory foam. The former usually incorporates a gel “swirl” into the foam, which, though cooling, doesn’t necessarily have a uniform effect throughout the layer. The latter sees gel incorporated throughout the entire piece of foam, resulting in a much cooler sleeping experience.
Neither one is inherently better than the other, but if you sleep very, very hot, you may want to stay on the lookout for gel memory foam over foam that’s simply been infused with gel.
Other Cooling Properties
Though gel is an effective and popular cooling agent, you may run across other infusions in your search for a mattress topper. Some others include graphite and copper, both of which work to absorb and dissipate body heat evenly throughout a structure. Copper infusions are especially interesting as there’s some research to suggest that they’re antimicrobial, which makes for an overall healthier sleeping experience.
The thickness of your mattress topper can make a big difference in how it feels. If you want a lot of deep sinkage, body-contouring, and pressure relief, I’d recommend going with a topper that’s at least 2-3” thick. If you only want a little cushioning, you can reduce this down to one inch.
If you’re concerned about figuring out just how tall a mattress topper is, simply navigate to the “details” or “construction specs” section of the product description. Oftentimes, the brand will even incorporate the dimensions into the name of the topper.
Density is another important factor to consider when buying a gel mattress topper. Highly dense materials tend to absorb and trap body heat more than less dense ones, so you’ll want to pay attention to the density of the foams being used in order to avoid ones that might overheat.
Speaking specifically about memory foam (which, again, is the primary culprit of overheating), you’ll want to stay within a range of about 3.0-5.0 PCF (or, pounds per cubic foot). This density will provide plenty of contouring and sinkage, but won’t be so dense as to counteract the cooling properties of your topper.
While a mattress topper might seem like a straightforward product, the design can actually have a huge impact on how it feels. Though most cooling gel toppers utilize memory foam, it’s not always the only material at play, so it’s important to note what else is going on. If the memory foam is paired with ventilated foam, for example, it might be slightly more breathable. If it’s teamed up with a quilted fill layer, it might be slightly more cooling. It’s all about the details, so pay attention to them wisely!
Still not sure how to secure a fantastic gel mattress topper? No worries! I’m going to wrap up this guide with a few expert tips you can use to improve your search.
- Before you even begin to search for a mattress topper, think about the bed you have. What do you like about it? What do you hate about it? What parts of its feel would you like to change? Once you’ve answered those questions, you’ll be better prepared to find a topper to satisfy those needs.
- Don’t forget trial periods! A topper can really change the vibe of a mattress, so you may want to try a few before you commit to one. In order to do this, you’ll want to find a topper backed by either a lengthy trial period or a solid warranty.
- Since mattress toppers are usually made of a single layer of foam, it’s important to pay attention to how this foam is designed. Is it ventilated for breathability? Is it zoned for support? Hone in on these details to get a better sense of the topper’s overall feel.
What is the best gel mattress topper?
The best gel mattress topper is one that balances comfort with cooling by infusing a thick layer of pressure-relieving foam with a ton of gel. This topper will also likely be ventilated for extra breathability.
Are gel memory foam mattress toppers good?
Gel memory foam mattress toppers can be great! Not only do they feature plenty of body-contouring, pressure relief, and sinkage, but they’re also effective at dissipating body heat for a cool night’s sleep.
What is a gel foam mattress topper?
A gel foam mattress topper goes on top of an existing mattress to bring a little extra cooling and comfort to a structure. It’s typically made of gel-infused foam, so it is soft and breathable.
Well folks, that about does it for this guide to the best gel mattress toppers on the market! When looking for one of your own, it’s important to consider the cooling infusions at play, the thickness of the foam layers, and the overall design of the product. By doing this, you’ll be well-prepared to land on a topper that’s 100% right for you and your slumber needs.
Latest posts by Logan Block (see all)
- 25 Days of Giving 2020 – Dreamfoam Mattress Giveaway! - December 25, 2020
- 25 Days of Giving 2020 – Saatva Mattress Giveaway! - December 24, 2020