The Beautyrest Black is a member of Beautyrest’s premium mattress line. Beautyrest is the flagship brand of Serta Simmons. The industry titan introduced the Beautyrest Black line of mattresses in 2006 and has been growing ever since.
Because the Beautyrest Black is marketed as a luxury mattress, I was curious to see if it lived up to the hype. I threw every test in the book at it so I could give you a comprehensive review, and I’m excited to share what I’ve learned! I analyzed this bed’s construction and overall feel; below, I’ll also compare it to some of its biggest competition on the market. That way, you’ll know with absolute certainty whether or not it’s the bed for you. From firmness level to motion control, breathability to bounce, here’s all you need to know about the Simmons Beautyrest Black mattress.
Short on time? Skip down to my review summary if you just want the nuts and bolts.
Is the Simmons Beautyrest Black a Good Mattress for You?
Let’s hit the ground running with some of the basics about the Beautyrest Black to help you decide if it’s a good mattress for you. Depending on your body weight, height, and preferred sleeping position, the Beautyrest Black may or may not work for you. While I can’t make that decision for you, take a look at some of my recommendations below to help you get there on your own.
Who I recommend the Simmons Beautyrest Black for
- Couples take note of the Simmons Beautyrest Black. The edge support, responsiveness, and motion isolation results (we’ll talk more about these later) are all great on this mattress!
- This mattress is very supportive, making it a good fit for back and stomach sleepers, who need plenty of lift to keep their spine in proper alignment.
- Hot sleepers can rest assured they will sleep cool on the Beautyrest Black.
Who I don’t recommend the Simmons Beautyrest Black for
- Budget shoppers may want to keep looking. This is a luxury mattress with a matching luxury price tag that may not align with the level of affordability budget shoppers are aiming for.
- Those looking for a hugging sensation are not going to get that with this firm mattress. If this is you, don’t give up on the Beautyrest Black just yet — for a little extra dough you can add a Cooling + Comfort Upgrade pillowtop layer.
- Side sleepers looking for deep, plush pressure relief might want to look into a softer touch, or upgrade to the Cooling + Comfort mattress.
How Firm is the Simmons Beautyrest Black Mattress?
First, a reminder: Firmness is subjective. Your body size, shape, weight, and personal preferences will affect how firm a given mattress feels to you — and the same is true for me! So remember that when it comes to these assessments, your mileage may vary.
Personally, I rated the mattress at a 8 out of 10 on the firmness scale. The industry standard for medium-firmness is 6.5 out of 10, so this tells me the mattress is pretty firm. Take into consideration that since feel and firmness are subjective, some of my colleagues found the mattress to be closer to a 7.5 out of 10.
The contents of the mattress help explain why it falls on the firmer side. It only has a few very thin layers of soft foam on top of the firmer transitional foam layer and the supportive pocketed coils. While you’ll get a bit of pressure relief from the softer layers, you’ll mostly feel the firmness of the support layers.
Simmons Beautyrest Black Mattress Performance
Firmness is one of the most important characteristics to consider when searching for a new mattress, but there are definitely more things to look at. To really determine whether a bed is a good match for you, it’s also important to consider how it performed in different sleeping positions, how it relieved pain and pressure, and how it might feel for couples sharing the bed. So let’s do just that!
Testing the Beautyrest Black Mattress in Different Sleeping Positions
Different sleeping positions and weights require different amounts of support. Generally, light sleepers don’t require the same amount of support as heavy sleepers. Read on below to see how the Simmons Beautyrest Black mattress performs for sleepers of different weights.
Is the Beautyrest Black a Good Mattress for Light Sleepers (Under 130 lb)?
- Light Back Sleepers – I think this bed would be a good, sturdy option for these folks. Light back sleepers tend to feel mattresses a bit firmer than advertised, so these sleepers should experience loads of support with an adequate amount of comfort from the top soft foam layers. However, some of these sleepers might prefer a softer touch.
- Light Side Sleepers – Lightweight side sleepers should look for a bed landing closer to the middle of the mattress firmness scale. These side sleepers are going to remain very lifted on top of the mattress without any sinkage for pressure relief.
- Light Stomach Sleepers – Lightweight stomach sleepers may feel as though it is a bit more firm than they would normally aim for, but the sturdy build could be very beneficial for these sleepers. These folks can rest assured their spine will be in healthy alignment with the Beautyrest Black.
Is the Beautyrest Black a Good Mattress for Average Weight Sleepers (130 – 250 lb)?
- Average Weight Back Sleepers – I think average weight back sleepers could benefit greatly from this mattress. The foam layers on top of the supportive coils will provide these sleepers with a great blend of support and comfort.
- Average Weight Side Sleepers – Average weight side sleepers should steer towards a softer mattress. Although there are a few top layers of foam, they are thinner than these sleepers need for optimal comfort and pressure relief.
- Average Weight Stomach Sleepers – Average weight stomach sleepers should feel their hips lifted and their weight evenly distributed across this mattress — making it a great option for them. Stomach sleepers should definitely keep their eyes on the Beautyrest Black!
Is the Beautyrest Black a Good Mattress for Heavy Sleepers (over 250 lb)?
- Heavy Back Sleepers – Heavy back sleepers should find ample support with the Beautyrest Black mattress. The bed will overall feel a bit more medium-firm to these folks and will allow for a combination of a healthy (in terms of posture) night’s rest and a comfortable one.
- Heavy Side Sleepers – Opposed to what is true for lighter side sleepers, the Beautyrest Black is a good option for heavy side sleepers. These folks will really be able to sink into the polyfoam and memory foam, while being supported by the layers below, getting the relief they are looking for.
- Heavy Stomach Sleepers – Heavy stomach sleepers should use their personal opinion when it comes to this mattress. Based on it’s build, it should be a good option for these folks, however since I don’t fall into this category, I can’t tell you if you will sink too far past the foam and into the support core below. I say to take advantage of the sleep trial period offered here to see if this mattress could be the one for you!
Simmons Beautyrest Black Pain Relief Performance
No, we’re not talking about chilling on the couch after a pressure-packed day (though who doesn’t love that?). In this case, pain/pressure relief refers to a bed’s ability to alleviate tension at sensitive areas such as the hips, lower back, and shoulders. It tells you whether a mattress will ease pressure on relevant parts of your body so you can sleep comfortably in your position of choice.
To test the pressure relief on the Beautyrest Black, I enlisted the help of my trusty pressure map. Putting the pressure map on top of the mattress and laying on top let me see where pressure was relieved and where it wasn’t. For reference, blue and green indicate areas of low pressure, while yellow and red indicate areas of high pressure.
Back Pain – When I’m on my back, I feel like my weight is evenly distributed, and I’m not experiencing any pressure points. The foam in the cover lets me sink in just a touch for some nice pressure relief at the lumbar region. At the same time, my hips don’t sink in too far — so my spine stays aligned and I feel “on top” of the bed (instead of “in” it). Because of all of this, I would highly recommend any sleeper with back pain consider the Beautyrest Black mattress.
Shoulder Pain – It’s easy to transition from my back to my side thanks to the bounciness of this mattress and the fact that I’m not sinking into it — two factors that mean I don’t feel stuck at all. When I land on my side, I’m feeling a bit jammed up at the shoulder and some pressure at my hips. I think this bed might be too firm for a lot of strict side sleepers. That said, the pressure map isn’t showing as much pressure as I expected. Side sleepers who like a firm mattress or combo sleepers who only spend part of the night on their side might do okay. I would say that this is not the ideal mattress for side sleepers with shoulder pain, but back sleepers with shoulder pain should experience plenty of relief.
Hip Pain – Laying on my stomach, my hips felt well supported, and I didn’t feel like they were bowing into the structure of the mattress. I like this mattress as an option for strict stomach sleepers, especially those struggling with pain around their hips. This mattress is also great for back sleepers with hip pain. On the other hand, I would steer side sleepers with hip pain to a more cushioning mattress that will allow for sinkage for relief.
Beautyrest Black Performance for Couples
When sharing the bed with a partner, you’ll want to keep a few more things in mind while shopping for a new mattress. Features you’ll want to consider include motion transfer, performance during sex, cooling, and edge support.
Like pain relief, motion transfer is another factor that will play a big role in determining whether a mattress suits your sleep needs. That’s especially true if you sleep with a partner, pet, or child, because motion transfer is all about whether you’ll feel a sleeping partner’s movements if they shift around during the night.
To test out motion transfer on the Beautyrest Black, I dropped a 10 lb steel ball from 4 inches, 8 inches, and 12 inches. These heights mimic different movements, from tossing and turning, to getting out of bed, or jumping on top of it. Then I measured the disturbance caused by each of these drops: the bigger the lines, the bigger the disturbance!
Because this mattress uses coils and is firm and bouncy, I had pretty low expectations when it comes to motion transfer. So I was surprised and impressed with the results of my bounce test! The mattress actually does a decent job of isolating motion, so it could be a viable option for couples.
Generally, a mattress with good motion isolation is going to have poor responsiveness, but that is not the case with the Beautyrest Black! Couples are in luck — this is a great mattress for sex. The bounce provided by the support core allows for ease of movement and changing of positions.
This luxury mattress has yet another great quality — it is pretty cooling. Thanks for the brand’s BlackICE 4.0 technology, the mattress is designed to offer luxurious sleep while keeping your body temperature at a comfortable level. If you are really concerned about overheating, there is a Cooling Upgrade that adds an additional layer of RightTemp Memory Foam that is heat wicking and 20% cooler than the original mattress. Overall, I would recommend this mattress to anyone looking for a sweat free night’s rest.
As if great motion transfer, sex, and cooling results weren’t enough, the mattres also has ample edge support. Wrapped around the pocketed coils, you’ll find a thick, high-density poly foam edge support layer — known as BeautyEdge. This section helps support the mattress at the edges so you can sleep all the way to the side of the bed. This is a plus for couples who want to utilize the full surface of their mattress.
What is the Beautyrest Black Made Of?
The standard version of the Beautyrest Black is 13” tall and features multiple thin, foam comfort layers over supportive pocketed coils. While the foam offers some pressure relief, this mattress is pretty firm. The bed has an optional comfort upgrade for folks who want a plusher feel, but we’re just focusing on the standard version here.
Let’s take a closer look at this mattress’s innards!
Cover – The cover is made from a blend of polyester and rayon, which creates a feel that’s cool to the touch and fairly breathable. It’s quilted with two layers of soft poly foam that let you sink into the mattress just a little bit.
Comfort Layer – Underneath the cover you’ll find a 0.5 inch layer of gel memory foam. True to memory foam form, this layer has a fairly slow response to pressure and offers some pressure relief. However, because it’s pretty thin, it doesn’t take away from the mattress’s firm feel. You won’t sink in much at all, which is good news for back and stomach sleepers.
Transition Layer – Beneath the comfort layer is a 1.5 inch layer of transitional poly foam. It’s a bit firmer than the memory foam above it, which adds some bounce to the mattress and helps ease you from the pressure-relieving comfort layer into the support layer of pocketed coils. It also helps prevent you from feeling stuck in the mattress.
Support Layer – The pocketed coils in this layer create a bouncy, supportive feel like you’d find in a traditional innerspring mattress. Along with the transitional poly foam above, the coils make it easy to move around on the mattress. The coils are individually wrapped, which means they do a better job of isolating motion transfer than coils that can’t move independently. This is good news for couples.
Edge Support – Wrapped around the pocketed coils, you’ll find a thick, high-density poly foam edge support layer. This section helps support the mattress at the edges so you can sleep all the way to the side of the bed — again, this is a plus for couples who want to utilize the full surface of their mattress.
The time has come to answer the million-dollar (or, er, the approximately 2,000-dollar) question! Is the Beautyrest Black the right mattress for you? While I can’t make that decision for you, I can leave you with a final summary of my favorite things, as well as complaints, for this mattress!
My favorite things about the Simmons Beautyrest Black mattress
This should be a nice fit for most back or stomach sleepers. The mattress’s firm support does a great job of preventing the hips from sinking too far into the mattress, which helps keep the spine aligned when you’re on your back or stomach. This might also be a great choice for people who prefer to sleep cool. The airflow through the coils, combined with the breathable cover, does a good job of dissipating heat and preventing the dreaded heat trap. Finally, this is also a good option for people who like an innerspring feel. The mattress is firm and supportive with a lot of bounce thanks in large part to its pocketed coils.
My Simmons Beautyrest Black mattress complaints
Most side sleepers will probably find that the standard version of the Beautyrest Black is too firm to stay comfortable in this position all night long. The firmness and lack of deep comfort layers means side sleepers are likely to feel jammed up at the shoulder. If you have your heart set on this mattress but you’re a side sleeper, you might want to consider the comfort upgrade. If you’re a lover of memory foam and the sinkage and body contouring it provides, you won’t find that on this mattress. You feel more on top of the bed (as opposed to “in” it), and it doesn’t offer a ton of pressure relief.
How Much Does the Beautyrest Black Cost?
The Beautyrest Black mattress is a luxury mattress that comes with a matching price tag. Check out the full pricing of the Beautyrest Black below, and don’t forget to click on one of the coupons in this article to see the latest deals.
Prices listed below will be before discount or offer for each size.
|Twin XL||38" x 80" x 12.5"||114 lbs||$2,049|
|Full||54" x 75" x 12.5"||140 lbs||$2,329|
|Queen||60" x 80" x 12.5"||165 lbs||$2,499|
|King||76" x 80" x 12.5"||209 lbs||$2,999|
|California King||72" x 84" x 12.5"||209 lbs||$2,999|
Simmons Beautyrest Black Mattress Policies and FAQs
Does the Simmons Beautyrest Black mattress come with a sleep trial?
The Simmons Beautyrest Black mattress comes with a 100-night in home sleep trial.
Does the Beautyrest Black come with a mattress warranty?
Beautyrest stands by their mattresses with a 10-year limited warranty.
How is the Beautyrest Black shipped?
The Simmons Beautyrest Black comes with White Glove Delivery, meaning your new mattress will be set up on a delivery day that works with your schedule. Free shipping is also offered to all states except Alaska and Hawaii.
Beautyrest Black Mattress Vs
If you’re shopping for a bed online, you’ve likely noticed that there are several different brands and models from which to choose. To help you narrow your focus a little bit, I thought I’d compare Beautyrest Balck to two of its biggest competitors: Saatva and Casper Hybrid.
Beautyrest Black vs Saatva
- The Saatva Classic is a luxury innerspring mattress, actually our Editor’s Pick for best innerspring mattress!
- The build of both mattresses are pretty similar — foam on top and supportive coils on the bottom. However, the Saatva falls at a 7 out of 10 on the firmness scale, making it just a tad bit softer.
- Saatva offers their mattress in three different firmness levels: plush soft, luxury firm, and firm.
- Saatva offers zoned support, potentially making it a better option for pain and pressure relief.
- The Classic Saatva is also much cheaper than Beautyrest Black.
- To learn more, check out my full Saatva mattress review.
Beautyrest Black vs Casper Hybrid
- The Casper Hybrid is one of the best value innerspring mattresses on the market as we speak.
- The Casper Hybrid falls right in line with the industry standard medium-firmness rating.
- Couples should take into consideration the lack of motion isolation with the Casper Hybrid — you’re likely to feel movement from one side to the other.
- Curious to learn more? Head over to my Casper Hybrid mattress review.
Other Mattresses from Beautyrest
Curious to see what else Beautyrest has to offer? The brand offers luxurious sleep options, no matter which bed you choose. Below I’ll compare the Beautyrest Black to the Beautyrest Harmony Lux and the Beautyrest Hybrid.
Beautyrest Black vs Beautyrest Harmony Lux
- The Harmony Lux offers plush, medium, and extra firm support options, as well as a pillow top bed. All of these options are softer than the Black mattress.
- Because it is softer, the Harmony Lux is targeted more for side sleepers needing pressure relief than back and stomach sleepers needing support.
- The Harmony Lux is a more affordable option than the luxury Black.
- Head over to my full Beautyrest Harmony Lux Mattress Review to learn more.
Beautyrest Black vs Beautyrest Hybrid
- The Hybrid model is softer than the Black bed, falling at a 6.5 out of 10 on the mattress firmness scale.
- Strict stomach sleepers need to stick with the Beautyrest Black as the Hybrid model will allow their hips to sink in too far.
- Prices are very similar for the two mattresses.
- Check out my full Beautyrest Hybrid Mattress Review if you want more information.
Our Review Process
Our Sleepopolis reviewers personally test each mattress. We start by unboxing the mattress to figure out how difficult (or easy) it is to get the mattress from the box to the bed. Then, we spend time laying on the bed in different positions, taking time to assess it on our backs, stomachs, and sides. Next, we perform our Sleepopolis tests, using specialized tools to measure qualities like motion transfer, bounce, and pressure relief. Our last step is to open up the mattress and take a look at each layer. These steps allow us to give our final verdict on the mattress. Jump back to our mattress picks.
Take a look at how the Beautyrest Black performed on my star rating chart below!
Simmons Beautyrest Black
- Edge Support