Today I’ll be diving into the original WinkBeds mattress, a hybrid model that combines a plush pillow top with ultra-supportive coils for a super cozy sleeping experience. The WinkBed has become a well-known luxury mattress, so I was excited to check it out.
This bad boy measures a mighty 14 inches from base to cover and contains a gel-infused cooling layer amidst its many coils — but can it offer just the right amount of comfort and support for you? Join me as I put it to the test to find out!
Note: The WinkBed is offered in a Softer, Luxury Firm, and Firmer model. I tested the Luxury Firm WinkBed.
Short on time? Click here to skip to my review summary.
Is the WinkBed a Good Mattress for You?
WinkBeds aims to create high-quality mattresses using eco-friendly, American-sourced materials. For more on the brand’s history, take a peek at our interview with WinkBeds founder Dan Adler.
The Luxury Firm WinkBed has a medium support level that is great for a wide range of sleepers, but is this bed-in-a-box right for you? Take a look below to see who I’d recommend it to.
Who I recommend the WinkBed mattress for
- Combination sleepers rejoice! This bouncy bed should allow you to switch sleeping positions with ease, but it still offers some cushion at your pressure points.
- If you like the feel of a traditional innerspring mattress, the WinkBed could work for you. It’s actually one of the best mattresses for seniors because it has a traditional, supportive feel. I’d also recommend it to folks who suffer from back pain.
- If you tend to overheat at night, this bed’s cooling capabilities are sure to help you beat the heat on even the warmest nights.
Who I don’t recommend the WinkBed mattress for
- Strict side sleepers who need a super-plush feel might find the Luxury Firm WinkBed too firm. I’d recommend they consider the Softer firmness option or take a look at some of our best mattresses for side sleepers.
- The WinkBed’s sturdy support structure and coil layers mean this bed doesn’t provide as much contouring or sinkage as a memory foam mattress. Anyone looking for a slow-moving feel might want to check out our best memory foam mattresses.
- Budget shoppers might want to opt for a cheaper mattress. However, the WinkBed is often on sale and its durable construction makes it one of the best mattresses for the money on the online mattress market.
What Does the WinkBed Mattress Feel Like?
Since the way a mattress feels will vary depending on your body weight and preferred sleeping position, I had some friends help me rate the WinkBed’s firmness. We each took a turn lying on the mattress and gave it a personal rating, and I averaged our ratings on the graph below.
We gave this bed a 7 out of 10 on the mattress firmness scale. The industry standard for medium-firmness is a 6.5 out of 10, so this mattress is just a touch firmer than medium-firm. When I lay down on this bed I felt some initial sinkage and pressure relief from its quilted Tencel mattress cover. This cover also did a great job filling in my lumbar region, something back sleepers should like.
After sinking through the cover I felt firm, bouncy support from its pocketed coil support system. I definitely felt more “on top of” than “in” this mattress, something combination sleepers should appreciate. If you’re looking for a responsive bed that offers firm support, the WinkBed is a great option for you.
WinkBeds Mattress Performance
We’re all different sleepers with different ideas of what makes a bed truly great, so I always run a few tests on the mattresses I try out to give you an objective view of what it would be like to sleep on them. Below, you’ll find information on how the WinkBed performs for several different sleeper types.
Testing the WinkBeds Mattress in Different Sleeping Positions
As I mentioned earlier, how a mattress feels to you depends on your body type. Below, I’ve broken down how the WinkBed might perform for a few different sleeper types.
Is the WinkBed a Good Mattress for Light Sleepers (Under 130 lb)?
- Light Back Sleepers – If you’re a lightweight back sleeper who likes to feel “on top of” your mattress, you’ll like the WinkBed, which will feel firm and supportive in this position.
- Light Side Sleepers – Lightweight side sleepers could also like this bed. I’m on the lighter side and I felt that the WinkBed’s euro-pillow top offered enough pressure relief to keep me comfortable on my side.
- Light Stomach Sleepers – These sleepers will do well on the WinkBed, which is supportive enough to keep their hips lifted up in line with their shoulders.
Is the WinkBed a Good Mattress for Average Weight Sleepers (130 – 250 lb)?
- Average Weight Back Sleepers – The WinkBed is a great fit for these sleepers. It should offer plenty of support, and make them feel lifted up and out of bed.
- Average Weight Side Sleepers – These sleepers will likely find this bed a bit too firm, so I’d recommend they opt for the Softer WinkBed model.
- Average Weight Stomach Sleepers – This bed could work well for stomach sleepers. If you’re a stomach sleeper looking for an extra firm mattress you might want to opt for the Firm model of this bed, but this model should keep your hips aligned with your shoulders.
Is the WinkBed a Good Mattress for Heavy Sleepers (over 250 lb)?
- Heavy Back Sleepers – The WinkBed is a great choice for heavy back sleepers. It offers firm support that should keep these sleepers supported throughout the night. In fact, it’s made our best mattresses that won’t sag list.
- Heavy Side Sleepers – These sleepers might find this bed just a little too firm to get the pressure relief they need. I have not personally tested the Softer model of the WinkBed, so I can’t say whether or not it will be supportive enough for heavier folks, but it might be worth a try. WinkBeds does offer a sleep trial, so it could be worth checking this mattress out.
- Heavy Stomach Sleepers – If you’re a heavy stomach sleeper I’d opt for the firm model of the WinkBed to ensure you get enough support, or check out the WinkBed Plus mattress, which was designed specifically for heavy folks.
WinkBeds Mattress Pain Relief Performance
Pressure relief is a measure of how a bed will feel against various pressure points on your body while you sleep, and it’s a great way to measure how well a mattress will relieve pain. To measure the WinkBed’s pressure relief, I placed a pressure map on top of the mattress and tested out a few different sleeping positions. The map recorded the pressure points the mattress created. You’ll see low pressure areas recorded in blue to green and high pressure areas recorded in yellow to red.
Back Pain — Stretching out on my back, I felt the top layer was soft but very supportive. I found it easy to move around and switch positions. My weight was evenly distributed, and as you can see from the graph, I experienced almost totally even pressure distribution in this position. This is a great sign that the WinkBed could help back and stomach sleepers with back pain find relief!
Shoulder Pain — Though the map above is all blue around my shoulders, I felt a little pressure in this area when I was on my side. I’d recommend folks with shoulder pain opt for the Softer model of the WinkBed.
Hip Pain — The green spots on the map above tell me the Luxury Firm WinkBed is not a great fit for sleepers with hip pain. I’d recommend these sleepers also opt for the Softer model of this bed.
WinkBeds Mattress Performance for Couples
Couples need a mattress that features low motion transfer, enough responsiveness for sex, cooling properties, and strong edge support. Read on below to learn more about those terms and see how the WinkBed performs in those areas.
If you’ve ever shared a bed with a partner or a pooch, you know how important motion transfer can be in a mattress. Motion transfer is the amount of movement that travels through the mattress when it’s touched or disturbed.
To illustrate motion transfer, I dropped a 10 lbs steel ball from heights of 4 inches, 8 inches and 12 inches and measured the disturbance it caused: the bigger the lines on the graph, the bigger the disturbance.
I was pleasantly surprised by the WinkBed’s motion transfer results. Based on its bouncy feel and innerspring construction, I didn’t expect it to feature any motion isolation at all. But, as you can see above, the WinkBed did a great job isolating smaller disturbances. That means you’re unlikely to feel disturbed by a partner tossing and turning at night on the WinkBed. However, you may feel larger movements like a partner getting in and out of bed.
The best mattress for sex is bouncy and responsive, which makes it easy to move around and change positions. The WinkBed fits this bill and is great for sex. It’s hard to find a responsive mattress that also features low motion transfer, so the WinkBed is a great find for couples.
Couples overheat more quickly than solo sleepers, so it’s important for them to have a cooling bed. The WinkBed sleeps nice and cool thanks to its tall pocketed coil layer, so couples and hot sleepers should both appreciate this mattress.
Edge support is a measure of whether or not you can lie all the way on the side of your mattress and still feel supported. This is a great feature for couples who like to spread out or heavier people who want to avoid premature sagging.
I was impressed by the edge support on this bed! The WinkBed’s edges are reinforced, so I felt super stable on the sides of this bed. This mattress’s great edge support, motion transfer test results, responsiveness, and cooling features make me think it’s one of the best mattresses for couples out there.
What is the WinkBed Mattress Made Of?
This 13.5-inch mattress is durable and cooling. It’s also made with CertiPUR-US® Certified foams, which means it’s free of harmful chemicals and heavy metals. Take a look below to see a layer-by-layer breakdown of this mattress!
Cover — The WinkBed uses a Tencel cover. Tencel is an all-natural, eco-friendly material made from eucalyptus wood cellulose. This material is known for being cooling and breathable, which is great news for hot sleepers. This cover is also quilted with WinkBeds’ Hypersoft foam for initial pressure relief.
Euro-Pillow Top — Next up is a pillow top comfort layer that’s infused with gel SupportCell foam. This gel foam layer provides some nice pressure relief to sleepers, and the gel infusion promotes airflow throughout the bed. This foam is made with shock-absorbing air capsules that help reduce motion transfer, which is a great perk for couples.
Support Layer — Last up is a pocketed coil support layer. These coils feature multiple support zones designed to offer the best possible back support. This layer consistently wins the WinkBed a spot in our best mattress for back pain roundup.
WinkBed Mattress Unboxing and Off-Gassing
The WinkBed is a bed-in-a-box, so it will need a few hours for off-gassing and decompression after you open it. Any off-gassing smell should dissipate within about 24 hours, and is nothing to be concerned about. Keep in mind that you might want to have a friend help you unbox this bed, as it can be pretty heavy.
That brings me to the end of my WinkBed breakdown! Below, I’ll compare this mattress to a few other mattresses brands and a few other WinkBeds models. But before that, I want to leave you with a few final thoughts about the original WinkBeds mattress.
My favorite things about the WinkBeds mattress
One of my favorite things about the WinkBed is its durability. This is a high-quality mattress that should really stand the test of time. This is great news for any sleeper, but especially nice for heavy people and couples.
I also really like the bouncy support this mattress offers. It should be a hit with combination sleepers who need some mobility to change positions at night. Anyone who likes a more traditional innerspring feel should find a lot to love in the WinkBed.
My WinkBeds mattress complaints
My biggest complaint about this mattress is that it doesn’t isolate motion as well as an all-foam bed might. That’s par for the course with a hybrid mattress like this, but if you are an easily disturbed sleeper you may want to check out one of our best memory foam mattresses instead.
I’ll also note that a few customers have mentioned a strong off-gassing smell when they unbox their WinkBed. In my opinion, the WinkBed doesn’t smell any more strongly than the typical new bed-in-a-box mattress. I’d recommend leaving your new mattress in a well-ventilated room for 24-48 hours before sleeping on it if you’re especially concerned about odor.
How Much Does the WinkBed Cost?
Wondering if the WinkBed will fit your budget? Check out this handy-dandy size and pricing chart, which lists the dimensions and price point of each WinkBed. This table reflects standard pricing, but you can use our WinkBed mattress coupon to save on your purchase.
|Twin||39” x 75” x 13.5"||$1,049|
|Twin XL||39” x 80” x 13.5"||$1,149|
|Full||54” x 75” x 13.5"||$1,299|
|Queen||60” x 80” x 13.5"||$1,599|
|King||76” x 80” x 13.5"||$1,799|
|California King||72” x 84” x 13.5"||$1,849|
WinkBeds Mattress Policies and FAQs
Does the WinkBed come with a sleep trial period?
Yes, WinkBeds offers a 120-night trial with this mattress.
How does the WinkBed ship?
The WinkBed will ship for free and arrive compressed in a box. You should allow a few hours for off-gassing and decompression after you unbox your new mattress.
Does the WinkBed come with a mattress warranty?
Yes, all WinkBeds mattresses are covered by a lifetime warranty. If you’re replacing your old WinkBed for a reason not covered under the warranty, WinkBeds will give you 50% off a new WinkBed of the same size.
Where are WinkBeds mattresses made?
WinkBeds are manufactured in the USA. WinkBeds has a factory in Watertown, Wisconsin.
Does the WinkBed need a box spring?
No, you don’t need a box spring with this bed, any hard flat surface will work to support it. You can also use a slatted bed frame or adjustable base. Any frame you use does need to include a rigid center support.
Can I test out a WinkBed in person?
Yes, WinkBeds has opened seven mattress showrooms throughout the USA. Cities like New York, Miami, and Austin all have showrooms. You can find more locations on the WinkBeds website.
WinkBed Mattress Vs
Since every mattress is unique, comparing mattresses from different brands can sometimes feel like comparing apples to oranges. But the WinkBeds mattress has a couple of noteworthy competitors who offer similar models, so I thought we’d take a look at those competitors and see how the WinkBed differs. Knowing what does (or doesn’t) set the WinkBeds brand apart can help you as you navigate the mattress-buying process.
The WinkBed’s closest competitors include Saatva and DreamCloud, two brands offering luxurious hybrid mattresses at similar prices.
WinkBed vs Saatva
- Like the WinkBed, the Saatva Classic is a hybrid mattress that’s offered in three different firmness levels.
- The Saatva offers firm, bouncy support. I’d say its Luxury Firm model feels a bit firmer than the WinkBed’s does.
- Environmentally conscious shoppers should note that the Saatva is even more eco-friendly than the WinkBed thanks to its recycled steel coils.
- Learn more in the full Saatva mattress review!
WinkBed vs DreamCloud
- The DreamCloud is a bed-in-a-box hybrid that features memory foam layers for a more pressure-relieving feel.
- The DreamCloud also sleeps cool, so hot sleepers could like this bed as well.
- Heavier sleepers might want to stick to the WinkBed, which is a little more durable than the DreamCloud.
- Check out the full DreamCloud mattress review for a deeper dive.
Other Models from WinkBeds
WinkBeds does offer a few other mattress models. Learn more about them below.
WinkBed vs GravityLux
- The GravityLux is WinkBeds’ memory foam mattress option.
- The GravityLux is offered in three different firmness options, so most different sleepers should be able to find a feel that works for them.
- Side sleepers could appreciate this bed’s body-contouring foams.
- Find out more in the full WinkBeds GravityLux mattress review.
WinkBed vs EcoCloud
- The EcoCloud is a latex hybrid mattress with a bouncy feel.
- Eco-friendly shoppers should appreciate that this mattress is made of all-natural and organic materials.
- This bed’s bouncy feel is great for combination sleepers.
- Learn more in the full WinkBeds EcoCloud mattress review.
WinkBed vs WinkBed Plus
- The WinkBed Plus was designed specifically for heavy people.
- This bed feels very similar to the original WinkBed, but offers much firmer support.
- If you’re a heavy person or heavy couple looking for extra durability, the WinkBed Plus could be the way to go.
- Find out more in the WinkBed Plus Mattress review.
Still not positive the WinkBed is for you? Take a look at how we rated it below for even more info on how it compares to other mattresses.
- Edge Support
WinkBeds combines a classic innerspring construction with a European-style pillow top. This makes for a very pressure relieving construction that still has the support of pocketed coil springs. WinkBeds also features an additional layer of edge support to help maximize usable space on the bed. This mattress has a medium feel that combines elements of pressure relief and noticeable support.