Brooklyn Bedding is one of the most established mattress manufacturing companies in the US. Brooklyn Bedding started as a single retail store, selling mostly close out mattresses. They have grown sizably since those beginnings, most notably through their BME “Best Mattress Ever” mattress model.
Their new mattress is the culmination of 20 years of expertise in the mattress industry and is being pitched as the “#BestMattressEver“. Can it really live up to those expectations? Sleepopolis decided to find out! Continue below for our full review of the Brooklyn Bedding mattress or click here to jump to the review summary.
By far the most unique and intriguing part of the Brooklyn Bedding mattress simply comes down to construction. Brooklyn Bedding is one of a small number of online mattress companies that actually owns and operates their own factory (most other online mattress companies contract with manufacturers). I had to a chance to tour their factory in person at their HQ in Phoenix, Arizona and was blown away by the sheer scale. It’s a massive 145,000 square foot operation that can crank out upwards to 1,600 mattress a day.
Owning their own factory gives Brooklyn Bedding extraordinary control over their materials, cost, and assembly specifications. It also allows them to further eliminate middle men, resulting in a truly impressive cost savings for the consumer. If you were to buy a comparable mattress in a traditional mattress retail store you can be sure you’d be paying considerably more.
The Brooklyn Bedding mattress is a 10″ mattress constructed from 3 layers of foam. It’s designed to provide a balance of comfort and support through an advanced responsive poly foam, TitanFlex. TitanFlex foam delivers a latex-like feel, allowing Brooklyn Bedding to create great response, bounce, and cooling.
- Top layer (comfort) – this is a 2″ layer of TitanFlex foam. TitanFlex foam (a type of responsive poly foam) offers great comfort, bounce, and cooling. This layer has a density of 4.0 PCF (pounds per cubic foot).
- Middle layer (comfort + support) – this is a 2″ TitanFlex foam. Just like with the layer above, this layer has great comfort, bounce, and cooling. However, this layer is a bit firmer, providing higher levels of support and deep compression support. This layer has a density of 4.0 PCF.
- Bottom layer (support) – this is a 6″ layer of high density support foam. It acts as a support and foundational foam for the mattress, while remaining breathable and giving the mattress shape. This layer has a density of 1.8 PCF.
The cover is a quilted cotton polyester blended fabric. The cover is extremely soft and just has a great feel to it. It has been quilted with a thin layer of poly foam (3/4″ thick), which gives it an almost mini-pillow top like feel. The cotton construction ensures it has great breathability and allows air to flow both in and out of the cover.
Aesthetically, the cover of the Brooklyn Bedding mattress is quite nice. They use an all white top layer with blue side panels and the Brooklyn Bedding logo embossed at the foot of the mattress. Quilted top layer, blue side panels, and sturdy handles round out for a very nice cover overall.
Firmness, Comfort, & Support
The Brooklyn Bedding mattress comes in 3 different firmness levels. For this review I slept on their medium firmness, which sits at about a 6 out of 10 on the firmness scale (where 10 is the most firm). You can also order the Brooklyn Bedding mattress in soft or firm levels. Their soft mattress is a 4 out of 10 and their firm mattress is an 8 out of 10.
What mattress firmness do I need?
This is a question I receive fairly often and here is my best recommendation. If you aren’t really sure what to order I almost always recommend ordering the medium firmness (for any mattress, not just Brooklyn Bedding). The vast majority of sleepers, about 80% in fact, prefer a medium feel. So unless you know for sure you like very soft or very firm, chances are you probably will be most happy with the medium firmness level.
For more information and help selecting the right firmness, check out my mattress firmness guide.
The most unique design element of the Brooklyn Bedding is the TitanFlex foam. To my knowledge, TitanFlex foam is proprietary to Brooklyn Bedding. The feel of TitanFlex is very similar to latex. It has the same strong resiliency and bounce you would expect from latex.
For amorous activities the TitanFlex gives the Brooklyn Bedding a great and enjoyable feel. Additionally, the added bounce helps prevent that “stuck” or “quick sand” type feeling that you may get with other foam mattresses.
The TitanFlex foam also does a great job of helping to keep the mattress cool. Many foam mattresses get a bad rap for heat retention issues. During my sleep tests I didn’t feel hot in the slightest (and I live in Phoenix, Arizona).
The Brooklyn Bedding provides good body contour and hug for sleepers also. In a typical lying position there I saw 2.25″ of sinkage. This provides appropriate body contour and support, without sinking too deeply and the mattress enveloping you. In general support was good for the mattress overall. During my sleep tests I slept on my back, side, and stomach, all positions were adequately supported.
Finally, looking at motion transfer. Very little. The responsive poly foam does a great job of minimizing any movements and motion during the night. To help measure motion transfer and bounce I utilize an accelerometer to chart how the mattress handles motion, energy, and bounce. To create the visualization below I use a stationary accelerometer on one side of the bed and drop a 12 pound medicine ball on the other side of the mattress.
I drop the medicine ball from three separate heights, 6″, 18″ and 24″, which are charted below.
May 2017 Design Updates – in early May, 2017, Brooklyn Bedding made major design changes to their BME “Best Mattress Ever”. Most notably, they replaced their all latex comfort layer with a layers of a new advanced poly foam, TitanFlex.
TitanFlex is a responsive poly foam designed to mimic the feel of latex. I can confirm, the foam does feel very similar to latex. It has a strong resiliency, nearly instant response, sleeps cool, and provides great bounce. Comparative testing showed that TitanFlex foam offers better cooling and better durability than latex.
Lastly, Brooklyn Bedding made aesthetic changes to their cover, moving to a solid blue colored side panel. Additionally, they also added carrying handles to the sides of the mattress, a small, but much appreciated extra.
Sinkage, edge support, and hug are extremely important factors when deciding if a mattress will have the feel that’s best suited for your body. All mattress reviews on Sleepopolis go through a few sinkage tests. I created these tests to help you understand how mattresses perform under various conditions and pressures.
- Back Lying Position – in a normal lying position on my back where my weight was evenly distributed across the mattress I saw 2.25″ of sinkage.
- Side Lying Position – while lying on my side I experienced 3″ of sinkage.
- Sitting Position (conservative) – in a conservative sitting position where I was sitting on the mattress, but further back away from the absolute edge, I saw 3.5″ of sinkage.
- Sitting Position (aggressive) – in a more aggressive siting position where I was sitting with all of my weight directly on the absolute edge of the mattress I saw 4.5″ of sinkage.
- Standing Position – standing directly in the center of the mattress with all of my weight focused on a single space (my feet directly next to each other) I saw 5″ of sinkage.
All things considered, these sinkage results are fairly typical of any foam mattress, but especially for this firmness level. I wasn’t blown away by amazing edge support, but if you were to buy this mattress you should do so knowing that the edge support is going to be about average.
If you decide to give Brooklyn Bedding a try make sure to use the exclusive Sleepopolis promo code. You can save 5% off any Brooklyn Bedding order with this link.
|Split California King||$1,050|
- Shipping – free shipping anywhere within the continental US, comes compressed in a box in 3-4 days
- Trial Period – 120 trial period (one of the longest I have seen)
- Refunds – 100% money back guarantee within the 120 day trial period
- Warranty – 10 years
- Made in the USA
- Discounts – save 5% off with code “SLEEPOPOLIS5“
Brooklyn Bedding’s mattress checks most of my boxes. It’s a quality product designed, built, and sold by the same company. It has a very competitive price point compared to all online mattresses and quite simply crushes most retail stores prices. All of these factors result in a balance feel, good cooling, great bounce, and an exceptional value.
I would recommend the Brooklyn Bedding mattress to anyone who falls into the following categories:
- You want a mattress with great bounce – if you want a foam mattress with great bounce, there really isn’t much of a better choice than Brooklyn Bedding (unless you want to go with a coil mattress). It doesn’t have quite the same level as innerspring bounce, but it’s much better than almost every memory foam. Among the best bounce of all of the foam mattresses I’ve reviewed.
- You want a balanced hug & body contour – the Brooklyn Bedding has good body contouring and a balanced hug feel. You’ll sink 2-3″ into the mattress, just enough to provide a nice comfortable hug.
- You want a mattress with rapid response – if you need a mattress that responds quickly to changes to your movements during the night the Brooklyn Bedding mattress is a good choice. Brooklyn Bedding’s TitanFlex foam responds nearly instantaneously, so you never will worry about being stuck within the foams.
- You want the best price – a really impressive price point for the quality and materials in this mattress. $750 for a Queen is a great price, even for online only mattresses.
- You want to buy from a company that has been around a long time – Brooklyn Bedding has been in business since 1995, started manufacturing their own mattress in 2001, and launched online in 2010. They have been around a long time building and selling great mattresses at fair prices.
For more information on Brooklyn Bedding visit BrooklynBedding.com. If you decide to give Brooklyn Bedding a try don’t forget to grab our promo code. Use “SLEEPOPOLIS5” to save 5% off your entire order.