Latex foam isn’t as well-known as memory foam, but is a great alternative for those who want something a little different than memory foam. Latex is known for a bouncy, responsive, and cooling feel. It can be soft or firm, but usually doesn’t offer as much sinkage as memory foam does. Plus, many consider it a more eco-friendly option than memory foam. That’s why we’ve rounded up this list of the best latex mattress toppers!
We also have some shopping tips for you in our buying guide towards the bottom of this page, but for now let’s jump into these top latex mattress topper picks.
Best Latex Mattress Toppers 2023
- Saatva Natural Latex Mattress Topper – Best Overall
- Avocado Organic Latex Mattress Topper – Best for Back Sleepers
- Brooklyn Bedding Talalay Latex Mattress Topper – Best for Side Sleepers
- PlushBeds Natural Latex Topper – Best Customizable
- Birch Plush Organic Mattress Topper – Best for Stomach Sleepers
- Latex for Less Mattress Topper – Best Budget
Saatva Natural Latex Mattress Topper – Best Overall
Saatva Natural Latex Mattress Topper
The Saatva Natural Latex mattress topper is made with a 1.5-inch layer of latex foam, an organic cotton cover, and elastic straps. It offers a buoyant feel and some light contouring.Read Full Review
Saatva has a reputation for high-quality products and this topper is no exception. Made with a 1.5-inch layer of latex foam and an organic cotton cover, this is a great product for shoppers who want natural, high-end materials. This topper offers a buoyant, responsive feel that allows for some contouring, but has a much quicker response to pressure than memory foam.
What Customers Say
Customers who purchased the Saatva Natural Latex topper note in reviews how it works well for making a too-soft mattress feel a bit firmer. They also tend to note how excellent Saatva’s customer service is.
Pros of the Saatva Natural Latex Mattress Topper
- Hot sleepers should be comfortable on this topper, as latex is a naturally cool material and the organic cotton is breathable.
- The Saatva Natural Latex topper has elastic straps in all four corners, which secure it to the top of your mattress. This is a definite bonus for folks who toss and turn.
- This topper’s thin layer of foam and slightly firm feel make it a good choice for back, stomach, and back/stomach combination sleepers.
Cons of the Saatva Natural Latex Mattress Topper
- Side sleepers won’t find much pressure relief on this topper, since it is fairly thin and doesn’t offer deep contouring.
- The cover on this topper can’t be removed to be washed, so it is spot-clean only.
- Like many latex toppers, the Saatva Natural Latex mattress topper is on the pricier side. It may not be a great budget option.
Avocado Organic Latex Mattress Topper – Best for Back Sleepers
The Avocado Organic Latex mattress topper is made with a 100 percent organic cotton cover, a layer of organic wool, and a layer of organic latex rubber foam. Avocado is a brand that’s all about natural and organic products, so this topper boasts certifications like Global Organic Textile Standard certification, Global Organic Latex Standard certification, GREENGUARD Gold certification, and MADE SAFE certification. All that being said, this topper also comes in two firmness options — plush or firm — both of which can work great for back sleepers, depending on their feel preference.
What Customers Say
Several customer reviews note how the Avocado Organic Latex mattress topper relieved back pain for them. Many also comment on how the topper offers some pressure relief, but keeps you feeling “on top” of the bed.
Pros of the Avocado Organic Latex Mattress Topper
- Hot sleepers should love how the latex foam keeps this topper cool, while the wool and organic cotton are nice and breathable.
- Shoppers who want the choice of a plush or firm feel should appreciate having the ability to choose the firmness they want with the Avocado Organic Latex topper.
- Avocado also offers a 365-night sleep trial with this topper, so you have plenty of time to decide if it is right for you.
Cons of the Avocado Organic Latex Mattress Topper
- Budget shoppers may want to consider another option, as the Avocado Organic Latex mattress topper is among the more expensive toppers on this list.
- While this topper has a cover, it can’t be removed to wash. The topper is spot-clean only.
- Side sleepers may find even the plush version of this topper doesn’t offer enough pressure relief.
Brooklyn Bedding Talalay Latex Mattress Topper – Best for Side Sleepers
Brooklyn Bedding Talalay Latex Topper
Brooklyn Bedding's Talalay Latex mattress topper is a natural, cooling mattress topper. Talalay Latex, which is the interior material in this topper, is an OEKO-TEX certified material, meaning that it is free of harmful chemicals, and it's naturally bouncy, durable, and cooling.
4.50 / 5Read Full Review
The Brooklyn Bedding Talalay Latex mattress topper is made with a 3-inch Talalay latex fill, but comes with two different cover options: either organic cotton or a luxury cooling cover. It also comes in three different firmness levels: soft, medium, and firm. We tested the medium version and our tester felt it offered excellent cushioning for side sleeping. And since there are multiple firmness options, side sleepers looking for an even softer feel can opt for the soft version of the topper.
What Customers Say
Customers note in their reviews how the Brooklyn Bedding Talalay Latex topper allows for some cushioning and pressure relief, but still feels supportive.
Pros of the Brooklyn Bedding Talalay Latex Mattress Topper
- This topper is easy to move around on, so it could work well for combination sleepers.
- Hot sleepers have two great options to choose from for covers: either breathable organic cotton or a luxury cooling cover. And either way, the latex fill will work to keep you cool, too.
- The cover is zippered, so it can be removed and machine washed. This is a great benefit for keeping the topper clean.
Cons of the Brooklyn Bedding Talalay Latex Mattress Topper
- This topper doesn’t have any straps or other way of attaching t
- o the mattress, so it may shift around at night.
- Budget shoppers will likely find this topper a bit too expensive for their taste.
- Stomach sleepers may not do the best on this topper. The medium version we tested was too soft and would allow their hips to sink into the material. The firm version may work better, but since this topper is three inches thick, it still offers a lot of room to sink in.
Want to learn more? Read our full Brooklyn Bedding Talalay Latex mattress topper review or click here to get the best deal.
PlushBeds Natural Latex Topper – Best Customizable
PlushBeds Natural Latex Mattress Topper
This mattress topper is made with 100 percent natural latex that's OEKO-TEX certified for safety standards. It's available in two thicknesses — two or three inches — and in five different firmnesses, including extra-firm. You can also add a GOTS-certified organic cotton cover for an additional $99.
4.90 / 5
The PlushBeds Natural Latex topper is made with Global Organic Latex Standard certified latex — it’s also OEKO-TEX Standard 100 and GREENGUARD Gold certified. What makes this topper unique though is how much you can customize it. You have the option to choose between a 2-inch or 3-inch topper, between five different firmness levels (soft, medium-soft, medium, medium-firm, and firm), and you can choose to add an organic cotton cover.
What Customers Say
Many customers note how this topper helped to relieve back pain or joint pain. Customers also have lots of great things to say about PlushBeds’ customer service in their reviews.
Pros of the PlushBeds Natural Latex Topper
- With five different firmness options, the PlushBeds Natural Latex topper should work well for a variety of sleeping positions.
- As we’ve mentioned already, latex is a fantastic material for hot sleepers because it maintains a naturally cool temperature. But PlushBeds has taken it a step further, with aeration holes in the latex of this topper, which should promote air circulation.
- PlushBeds manufactures their toppers in the United States, a pro for folks who like to shop American-made products.
Cons of the PlushBeds Natural Latex Topper
- The PlushBeds is not a great budget option, particularly if you opt to add the organic cotton cover, which adds about $100 to the total.
- PlushBeds does not allow returns on this topper, so once you buy it, you won’t be able to return it if you don’t like it.
- The cover does not include straps or any other way to attach the topper securely to the mattress.
Click here to get our best deal on the PlushBeds Natural Latex topper.
Birch Plush Organic Mattress Topper – Best for Stomach Sleepers
The Birch Plush Organic mattress topper is made with an organic cotton cover, a layer of organic wool, and a layer of perforated Talalay latex foam. This topper is fairly thin and offers a firmer feel, making it a great option for stomach sleepers. Stomach sleepers need a firmer sleep surface to keep their hips from sinking into the mattress, which can cause lower back pain. This slightly firm topper should provide a comfortable feel while keeping stomach sleepers in a neutral position.
What Customers Say
Customer reviews note how the Birch Plush Organic topper provides a “plush” feel without being too soft — they also say it provides balanced support.
Pros of the Birch Plush Organic Mattress Topper
- The “on top of the bed” feel and firmer support should also work well for many back sleepers.
- Like the other toppers on this list, hot sleepers should be happy with how the latex foam maintains a cool temperature, while the wool and cotton are breathable.
- The Birch Plush Organic mattress topper has a high-quality feel and has several certifications to back up the materials, including Global Organic Textile Standard certification and GREENGUARD Gold certification.
Cons of the Birch Plush Organic Mattress Topper
- Side sleepers may not find this topper to be pressure-relieving enough to fix a too-firm mattress.
- Like many other latex toppers, the Birch Plush Organic mattress topper is fairly spendy, so it isn’t the best budget option.
- The cover on this topper isn’t removable, so it can only be spot-cleaned.
Latex for Less Mattress Topper – Best Budget
As you’ve likely ascertained by reading this far, most latex mattress toppers are pretty spendy. But as the name implies, the Latex for Less mattress topper is a little more affordable. This topper is made with 100 percent Dunlop latex foam and has the option to add an organic cotton cover. You can choose between a 2-inch or 3-inch topper, as well as either a medium-firm, medium, or soft firmness level.
What Customers Say
Customers say this topper stays in place and has improved the comfort of their bed. Some noted the sizing was off for their mattress, but said it was still a great deal for the price.
Pros of the Latex for Less Mattress Topper
- The Latex for Less topper offers a bouncy feel that conforms to your body without losing shape.
- With two thickness options, you can choose how much room you want to sink into the material.
- Side sleepers should find this thick topper quite comfortable and pressure-relieving.
Cons of the Latex for Less Mattress Topper
- Our tester found this topper had a rubbery odor when it first arrived. While it dissipated, this might be a con for some shoppers.
- The cover isn’t included with this topper, so you’ll have to pay a little extra if you want one.
- Stomach sleepers may find this topper a bit too soft and plush.
What is a Latex Mattress Topper?
A latex mattress topper is a piece of latex foam that can be added on top of an existing mattress to improve support or alter the firmness. They are made from natural or synthetic latex using one of two processes: the Talalay method or the Dunlop method. Both of these processes involve pouring liquid latex (either natural or synthetic) into a mold to create the final foam. In the Dunlop process, the mold is completely filled with the latex mixture, however in the Talalay process the mold is only partially filled and air is extracted.
The result is a softer, bouncier latex foam coming from the Talalay process and a firmer, often more durable, foam coming from the Dunlop process. Most toppers are Talalay latex, as it’s better suited to a variety of firmness levels and has a more consistent feel.
Benefits of a Latex Mattress Topper
A good latex mattress topper has many benefits to different types of sleepers and it’s a great way to enhance an existing “ho-hum” mattress. Most commonly, latex mattress toppers are added to provide additional support, adjust firmness, or enhance cooling and prevent excessive heat retention. For heavy sleepers who find themselves sinking too deep into their current mattress, a firm latex topper can also help. Latex has a natural support and bounciness to it that is unique to this kind of material.
Latex mattress toppers are available in a wide range of firmness degrees, but each has a very different feel. A soft latex topper provides comfort and pressure relief. This can be a great addition for side sleepers or sleepers looking to add softness to a new mattress that is too firm.
A firm latex mattress topper provides additional support and may be a good fit for back or stomach sleepers. Firm latex toppers can also be used as a foundation layer in situations where you’d like to use multiple styles of foams on top of your existing mattress.
Thickness of latex mattress toppers can vary, typically ranging from one to four inches. The thinner the foam the less drastic change the topper will have on your mattress. For those who are happy with their current mattress and just looking for a slight modification, a 1-inch topper may be enough. To target nagging back pain or other night aches, two to three inches should do the trick. For a full mattress overhaul, you’ll want to look for a topper that’s three to four inches thick. While the addition of a latex mattress topper doesn’t equate replacing a mattress, it is a great way to lengthen the lifespan of an existing mattress.
In general, latex mattresses and mattress toppers have one of the longest lifespans of any material on the market. While this also means that a latex mattress topper will be more costly than any other type — you are paying for an investment.
One great way to extend the lifespan of a latex mattress topper even longer is by occasionally flipping and rotating the topper to make sure it’s wearing evenly. Keep in mind that not all of the toppers on the market can flip, due to the nature of their design. If you’re noticing discoloration, flaking or tearing on your topper, it is likely time to replace.
How We Picked Our Best Latex Mattress Toppers
We used several criteria to vet the contenders for this roundup. Here’s an overview of the factors that we took into consideration.
A quality latex mattress topper can range in price from around $150 to over $400. That’s a big range! We included options from all across that spectrum so you can find something that aligns with your budget.
Some people want a latex topper to add softness and pressure relief to their mattress, while others are looking for extra support. We included toppers ranging from soft to firm so you can tailor your choice to your sleep needs.
Whenever possible, we prioritized options that adhere to safety and/or environmental standards in their manufacturing processes. Most of the choices on this list feature natural materials and/or materials that have been certified by different health and/or environmental standards, such as OEKO-TEX Standard 100, Global Organic Textile Standards, and Global Organic Latex Standards.
Of course, all of these toppers share latex in common. But the materials used can still vary widely. For instance, some use Talalay latex, some use Dunlop latex, and so on. Additionally, some of the options on this list come with covers, which range in materials.
The materials used in a topper can affect its feel, temperature regulation, and so on. We included different options so you can choose what suits you best.
Natural vs. Synthetic Latex
Another way you can lengthen the lifespan of a latex mattress topper is by choosing one that uses 100 percent natural latex versus a synthetic. Natural latex is more durable than synthetic latex, is environmentally friendly, antimicrobial, and hypoallergenic. This is not to say that synthetic latex mattress toppers are bad, but don’t be fooled by an imposter natural latex. Be wary of phrases like “made with 100 percent natural latex,” “contains natural latex,” or “natural origin latex.”
While these sound good on paper, they are sneaky ways of saying that the mattress topper is actually a blend of natural and synthetic latex. A 100 percent natural latex mattress topper will almost always be more expensive than a synthetic or blended latex mattress topper. The natural latex will generally last longer than the synthetic latex though and won’t have the off-gassing odors that can sometimes be associated with synthetic latex.
Need another reason to shop natural? Natural latex is resistant to mold and mildew.
That said, synthetic latex mattress toppers do have a place. For one, they are generally more affordable than natural latex. For short-term situations, or if you simply don’t care as much about the natural benefits, a synthetic latex topper can still provide a nice level of added comfort and pressure relief.
The right latex mattress topper can dramatically improve your sleep by tailoring the feel of your mattress to your sleep style and preferences. That means it’s worth taking the time to do your research before committing to a new topper. By considering your needs, budget, and preferred materials, you’ll be well on your way to finding the topper of your dreams.
Are latex mattress toppers worth it?
They definitely can be. Latex toppers have many benefits, such as a more bouncy and responsive feel, more support, and maintaining a naturally cool temperature. Latex toppers can be a particularly good option for people who are interested in sleeping on latex but not ready to commit to a latex mattress.
How do I choose a latex topper firmness?
It’s best to choose the firmness of your latex topper by your sleeping position, as well as what you are trying to achieve. Generally, a softer feel is better for side sleepers to get pressure relief and a firmer feel is better for stomach sleepers to maintain spinal alignment. Back sleepers can do well on almost any firmness, depending on if they are seeking more pressure relief or more support. In general, soft toppers are better for relieving pressure and firmer toppers are better for adding some support.
Is a latex mattress topper good for side sleepers?
A latex topper can be good for side sleepers. If you sleep on your side, look for a latex topper with a softer feel and several inches of latex that you can sink into for some pressure relief.
Is latex better than a memory foam topper?
It really depends on your preferences. Latex offers a similar, but unique feel to memory foam. It is more bouncy and buoyant than memory foam, but doesn’t always offer as much pressure relief. It is also more durable and considered more eco-friendly.
Senior Staff Writer
Amelia is a Senior Staff Writer for Sleepopolis. She primarily covers bedding and sleep accessory products in reviews, how-to guides, and more. You can also find her over on the Sleepopolis YouTube channel. Amelia is a graduate of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, with double majors in media and journalism and in dramatic art. Outside of work, Amelia can usually be found on a hike, traveling to a new city, or at her local thrift store.