Mattress toppers are usually associated with making a mattress softer, as they often provide a plush layer on top of an otherwise uncomfortable mattress. However, mattress toppers can also provide a firm feel. To help you find the best firm mattress topper for you, we’ve rounded up a few options that will work for all different types of sleepers.
Best Firm Mattress Toppers 2023
- Best Overall – Puffy Deluxe Mattress Topper
- Best Cooling – Saatva Natural Latex Mattress Topper
- Best Foam – Nolah Mattress Topper
- Best Latex – Brooklyn Bedding Talalay Latex Mattress Topper
- Best Gel Memory Foam – ViscoSoft Select High Density Mattress Topper
- Best Extra-Firm – PlushBeds Natural Latex Mattress Topper
Best Overall – Puffy Deluxe Mattress Topper
Puffy Deluxe Mattress Topper
The Puffy mattress topper is a great solution for those looking to firm up a soft mattress, or soften a firm mattress! It has an anti-slip grip to keep it from falling off your bed.
5.00 / 5Read Full Review
The Puffy Deluxe is made with a 2-inch block of memory foam and a polyester-bamboo blend cover. The topper comes in two firmness options: Soft or Firm. Naturally, we’d recommend the Firm version to those seeking a firm mattress topper. This topper won our top spot because it has a washable cover with a skirt, uses bamboo for a cooling effect, and comes with generous policies like a lifetime warranty and 101-night sleep trial.
What Customers Say
Customers note in reviews how supportive, thick, and dense the foam in this topper feels.
Pros of the Puffy Deluxe Mattress Topper
- This topper works well for back sleepers, as it provides some pressure relief without enveloping the sleeper.
- The cover has a skirt to securely attach the topper to your mattress, so you don’t need to worry about it shifting around.
- People with allergies will likely appreciate this topper’s use of hypoallergenic materials, as well as having a removable, machine washable cover.
Cons of the Puffy Deluxe Mattress Topper
- At only two inches thick, the Puffy Deluxe may not be thick enough for heavy sleepers, who weigh 250 pounds or more. These folks might sink right through and “bottom out” on the topper.
- While the bamboo fibers in the cover provide some cooling, memory foam traps a lot of heat, so hot sleepers may prefer a topper that does not use memory foam.
Best Cooling – Saatva Natural Latex Mattress Topper
Saatva Natural Latex Mattress Topper
The Saatva Natural Latex mattress topper is made with a 1.5-inch layer of latex foam, an organic cotton cover, and elastic straps. It offers a buoyant feel and some light contouring.Read Full Review
When it comes to cooling, you can’t do much better than latex and cotton — and that’s exactly the combo the Saatva Natural Latex mattress topper provides. Latex maintains a much cooler temperature than memory foam and cotton allows for easy air circulation, so hot air won’t be trapped. With a 1.5-inch section of latex foam, the Saatva Natural Latex mattress topper also offers a firm feel, without too much room to sink in — just right for firming up a too-soft mattress.
What Customers Say
Multiple customers note in reviews how this topper maintains a cool temperature. Reviewers also appreciate how the topper adds some cushioning without being too soft.
Pros of the Saatva Natural Latex Mattress Topper
- The Saatva Natural Latex mattress topper has anchor bands in all four corners to secure it to your mattress.
- This topper can work well for back, stomach, and back/stomach combination sleepers.
- This topper uses natural materials, like cotton and latex (which is derived from rubber trees), which may be a pro for shoppers who like natural materials.
Cons of the Saatva Natural Latex Mattress Topper
- The cover is not removable, so it can’t be washed separately from the latex. The topper is spot-clean only.
- This topper is on the pricier side — although latex toppers are generally more expensive than memory foam.
Best Foam – Nolah Mattress Topper
Nolah Mattress Topper
The Nolah Mattress Topper is a high-quality product boasting a CertiPUR-US certification. Nolah's signature foam is described as more durable, plush, and cooling than other foams on the market.
4.90 / 5Read Full Review
The Nolah mattress topper is made from the brand’s signature AirFoam and comes in two firmness levels: Luxury Firm and Plush. We tested the Luxury Firm model and found it offered pleasant contouring and a classic memory foam feel, but keeps the sleeper elevated on the surface more than other foam toppers. The Nolah mattress topper should work really well for back sleepers, as it has a nice balance of pressure relief and support.
What Customers Say
Customers say the Nolah mattress topper has worked well for pain relief at night, as well as maintaining a cool temperature.
Pros of the Nolah Mattress Topper
- The Nolah mattress topper has elastic bands in all four corners to secure it to the surface of your mattress.
- The topper also has an organic cotton-blend cover that can be removed and washed separately.
- Nolah promotes their AirFoam as cooler than other foams, and we agree — while not cool to the touch, it didn’t seem to trap as much heat as some other foams.
Cons of the Nolah Mattress Topper
- While this topper has a slightly firmer feel, it is likely not firm enough for most stomach sleepers. We think they’ll find their hips sinking too deeply into the material.
- At close to $400 for a queen size, the Nolah mattress topper is fairly expensive for a foam topper.
Best Latex – Brooklyn Bedding Talalay Latex Mattress Topper
Brooklyn Bedding Talalay Latex Topper
Brooklyn Bedding's Talalay Latex mattress topper is a natural, cooling mattress topper. Talalay Latex, which is the interior material in this topper, is an OEKO-TEX certified material, meaning that it is free of harmful chemicals, and it's naturally bouncy, durable, and cooling.
4.50 / 5Read Full Review
The Brooklyn Bedding Talalay Latex mattress topper is made with a 3-inch block of Talalay latex foam with perforations for airflow. As far as covers, you can choose between an organic cotton cover or a luxury cooling cover. Additionally, the topper comes in three firmness options: Soft, Medium, and Firm. We tested the Medium version and felt it had a buoyant and uplifting feel, but still offered some plushness, so the Firm version should work especially well for those seeking a firmer feel.
What Customers Say
Reviewers note how cool this topper sleeps, thanks to the latex, as well as how it offers a mix of support and comfort.
Pros of the Brooklyn Bedding Talalay Latex Mattress Topper
- Combo sleepers should appreciate how easy it is to move around on this bouncy latex topper.
- Hot sleepers should sleep comfortably on the naturally cool latex (with additional airflow from the perforations). Plus, for even more cooling, you can upgrade to the luxury cooling cover.
- Whichever cover you choose, it can easily be removed to clean in the washing machine.
Cons of the Brooklyn Bedding Talalay Latex Mattress Topper
- This topper does not have straps or a skirt, so it may shift around on the surface of your bed.
- Budget shoppers may find this topper a bit on the pricey side.
Want to learn more? Read our full Brooklyn Bedding Talalay Latex mattress topper review or get our best deal here.
Best Gel Memory Foam – ViscoSoft Select High Density Mattress Topper
ViscoSoft Select High Density Mattress Topper
The ViscoSoft Select High Density mattress topper features high-density gel-infused foam with perforations for airflow, as well as a bamboo rayon cover and adjustable no-slip straps.
4.50 / 5Read Full Review
Gel memory foam is a popular material to get the contouring effects of memory foam, but counteract some of the material’s heat-trapping nature. Gel can draw heat away from the body, which promotes a cooler, or at least more temperature-neutral, feel. The ViscoSoft Select High Density mattress topper is made with a 3-inch block of high-density gel memory foam, as well as a bamboo rayon cover. The dense foam gives the foam a slightly firmer feel, while still providing cushioning and body contouring.
What Customers Say
Customers say this topper feels very high quality, is easy to clean, and works well for relieving pain at night.
Pros of the ViscoSoft Select High Density Mattress Topper
- Back and side sleepers should feel comfortable on this topper, as it provides pleasant pressure relief and contouring, but also lots of support.
- The ViscoSoft Select High Density mattress topper has straps, which keep the topper nicely in place on your mattress.
- This topper maintains a cooler temperature, thanks to the gel memory foam and bamboo cover.
Cons of the ViscoSoft Select High Density Mattress Topper
- This topper isn’t firm enough for most stomach sleepers, who will likely find their hips sinking into the material, which can cause lower back pain.
- The ViscoSoft Select High Density also may not be firm enough for those seeking an ultra-firm feel, as it does allow for some contouring. It has a more medium-firm than true firm feel.
Read our full ViscoSoft Select High Density mattress topper review to learn more. Or you can click here to get our best deal on it.
Best Extra-Firm – PlushBeds Natural Latex Mattress Topper
PlushBeds Natural Latex Mattress Topper
This mattress topper is made with 100 percent natural latex that's OEKO-TEX certified for safety standards. It's available in two thicknesses — two or three inches — and in five different firmnesses, including extra-firm. You can also add a GOTS-certified organic cotton cover for an additional $99.
4.90 / 5
The PlushBeds Natural Latex mattress topper is made with Global Organic Latex Standard (GOLS) certified latex and is available in two thicknesses (2-inch and 3-inch), as well as five different firmnesses (soft, medium-soft, medium, medium-firm, and extra-firm). We chose it as our best extra-firm topper because it is a rare find for a topper to be billed as extra-firm, since most are used to make beds softer. PlushBeds says this extra-firm topper should work well for folks who weigh 250 pounds or more, or people who enjoy very firm sleep surfaces.
Pros of the PlushBeds Natural Latex Mattress Topper
- Made with naturally-cool latex with perforations, the PlushBeds Natural Latex mattress topper should sleep quite cool.
- You have the option of adding an organic cotton cover for an additional $93.
- Having two thickness options allows you to choose how much latex you want to add to your bed.
Cons of the PlushBeds Natural Latex Mattress Topper
- Even with the cover, the topper does not have straps to secure it to your mattress.
- As a latex topper, the PlushBeds Natural Latex mattress topper is also on the more expensive side, so it may not work for budget shoppers.
Click here to get our best deal on the PlushBeds Natural Latex mattress topper.
Methodology: How We Chose the Best Firm Mattress Toppers
Choosing the right mattress topper with the purpose of adding firmness is always a bit tricky, because what’s firm to one person may be completely soft for someone else. With that in mind, there were a few specifics our team of Certified Sleep Science Coaches looked at when assembling our list.
Certain topper materials tended to hold firmness better than others. We found that the variance in firmness of memory foam was ideal more often than not, because it added the proper amount of resistance without sacrificing comfort.
Mattress toppers are usually bought in lieu of purchasing an entirely new mattress, and as a result, they can be low-cost and made of artificial or synthetic materials. These materials tend to breathe poorly, so it was important to us to factor in how cool the topper kept through the night.
Convenience and Accessories
A firm mattress topper can be a great investment on its own, but including a quality cover that can be easily attached to a mattress is a great bonus. It also helps if the cover can be removed and washed.
Firm Mattress Topper Tips
Here are a few additional things to consider before making your purchase!
You really want to factor in the thickness of the mattress topper when determining what’s right for your needs. If you’re looking to cover an extremely soft mattress in order to firm it up, look at thicker toppers (four or more inches). If you only need a small change in firmness, you may be able to get away with a thinner topper (two or three inches).
This ties in with the thickness of a mattress topper. For side sleepers who need additional pressure relief on the hips and shoulders, we recommend selecting a thicker topper for deeper contouring. Stomach sleepers, however, require more support, and they’re better off purchasing a thinner topper. Back sleepers are often somewhere in between based on their personal preferences.
Odds are, if you’re opting for a mattress topper, you’re avoiding buying a new mattress. That shouldn’t mean that you select something cheap and disposable. Investing in a high-quality mattress topper can pay off dividends in the long run.
Who Should Buy a Mattress Topper
Those Who Want to Change the Feel of Their Mattress
If you like your mattress for the most part but feel minor adjustments in firmness could make all the difference in the world, then we definitely suggest purchasing a topper. A mattress that’s too soft, too firm, and even too lumpy can be adjusted with the right topper.
Those Who Want to Extend the Lifespan of Their Mattress
A topper can help avoid premature wear and tear of a mattress. Depending on the product, spills, excess moisture, and dirt particles can be trapped by the topper itself and not the actual mattress. In this sense, we consider toppers to be a great investment. Mattresses can be expensive, and the more you can protect the condition of the one you own, the better.
Those Who Sleep Hot
There are many cooling mattress toppers on the market. Some of them have naturally cooling materials, and others boast the newest cooling technology. Either way, hot sleepers should consider a topper if they’re looking to lower their body heat or wick away some extra moisture at night.
Related: Best Cooling Mattress Topper
Those Who Want to Save Money
Mattresses can be extremely expensive and toppers are a fantastic way to adjust firmness without breaking the bank.
Related: Best Cheap Mattress Topper
Who Shouldn’t Buy a Mattress Topper
Those Who Already Sleep on a Worn-Out Mattress
A mattress topper can’t save a mattress that’s already experiencing problems. Adding a topper won’t fix sagging in the middle of the mattress, nor will it fix your spinal alignment. If a mattress is too old, we recommend purchasing new one.
Related: Best Mattresses of 2023
Is there a mattress topper to make my mattress firmer?
Yes, there are mattress toppers that can make your bed firmer. We recommend looking for latex or high-density memory foam mattress toppers.
Is a firm mattress topper good for back pain?
Yes, they can be. Some people find back pain relief from sleeping on a firmer surface, as it might help maintain a neutral spine or provide support.
What can I add to my mattress to make it firm?
A latex or high-density foam mattress topper should work well to make your bed feel a bit firmer.
How much should you spend on a mattress topper?
Prices for mattress toppers can vary a lot based on materials. You can easily spend anything between $50 and $500 for a queen size topper. Latex toppers will generally be among the most expensive — we’d recommend expecting to pay at least $300 to $400 for a queen size latex mattress topper.
Our Review Process
Here at Sleepopolis, our team of Certified Sleep Science Coaches personally tests and reviews mattress toppers, taking time to assess them on our backs, stomachs, and sides. By seeing how the topper performs in each position, we’re able to give our final verdict for a variety of sleepers.