If you’ve been flip flopping about which new mattress to buy, you might want to consider the flippable latex mattress from all-natural favorite Zenhaven. This bed features a convenient adjustable firmness level, lush latex layers, and eco-friendly materials that are as easy on the spine as they are on the environment.
But is the Zenhaven truly the haven it claims to be? I won’t know how comfortable this mattress really is until I put it to the test to figure out how it feels, how it sleeps, and whether or not it could be the mattress of your dreams!
Continue reading below for my Zenhaven mattress review. Don’t have time to read it all? Click here to skip to my review summary.
The Zenhaven is a great all-natural latex option, but will it work for you? While I can’t decide for you, I can provide you with a quick summary to save you some time. Take a look at some of my recommendations below to get an idea if the Zenhaven is the right new mattress for you.
Who I recommend the Zenhaven mattress for
- First off, I’d recommend the Zenhaven for combination sleepers, who should appreciate the bouncy feel of this latex mattress.
- I think the Zenhaven could also be a great choice for hot sleepers since latex sleeps cool.
- The Zenhaven is made of high-quality organic materials like Talalay latex, something eco-friendly shippers should like. This bed is also hypoallergenic, another nice perk.
- Lastly, the Zenhaven is flippable, with a luxury plush and a gentle firm side, so most sleepers should find a side of the Zenhaven that feels comfortable to them.
Who I don’t recommend the Zenhaven mattress for
- Couples might not like the Zenhaven. It’s quite bouncy, so you may feel disturbed by a restless partner on this bed.
- If you’re looking for deep sinkage and pressure-relief, the Zenhaven won’t work for you. You should check out some of our best memory foam mattresses instead.
How Firm is the Zenhaven Mattress?
Since folks of different weights and sizes are going to feel firmness differently, I decided to enlist three other testers to help me scope out the Zenhaven’s firmness. To do this, we each took turns lying on the bed and gave it a personal rating. All of our personal ratings were then compiled on the firmness scale below.
The Zenhaven is a flippable mattress and each side of the mattress offers a different firmness option. Both comfort levels are represented on the scale below.
We had a wide range of responses to this bed, but ultimately landed on an average firmness rating of 6 out of 10 for the Luxury Plush side and 7.5 out of 10 for the gentle firm side. When compared to the industry standard of 6.5 out of 10 for medium firmness, it seems this bed is just a bit softer than medium firm when adjusted to its softest configuration, and roughly a full point above medium when set up in the firmest configuration.
Zenhaven Mattress Performance
While firmness is one of the most important things to consider when searching for a new mattress, there is more to look for to find a good fit. To give you a more objective look at how this mattress feels, I ran it through some tests to measure how it performed in different sleeping positions, how it relieved pain, and how it might feel for couples.
Testing the Zenhaven Mattress in Different Sleeping Positions
Different sleeping positions and weights require different amounts of support. Generally, light sleepers don’t require as much support as heavy sleepers. Read on below to see how this mattress performs for sleepers of different weights.
Is the Zenhaven a Good Mattress for Light Sleepers (Under 130 lb)?
- Light Back Sleepers – Light back sleepers might like the Gentle Firm side of the mattress, as it has strong support while still incorporating a gentle feel.
- Light Side Sleepers – I really like the Luxury Plush side of the mattress for light side sleepers, who should feel the mattress contouring to their body, relieving any slight aches and pains.
- Light Stomach Sleepers – The Luxury Plush side of the mattress is not going to be firm enough for light stomach sleepers, but the firmer side will offer the stronger support at the hips that stomach sleepers need to prevent a bend in the spine.
Is the Zenhaven a Good Mattress for Average Weight Sleepers (130 – 250 lb)?
- Average Weight Back Sleepers – These sleepers will do best on the Gentle Firm side, which will offer them some immediate pressure relief at the lower back and some nice support.
- Average Weight Side Sleepers – I really like the Luxury Plush side of the mattress for average weight side sleepers, who will experience some nice pressure relief sinkage.
- Average Weight Stomach Sleepers – The Gentle Firm might be the perfect fit for average weight stomach sleepers as it will keep them on top of the mattress and provide much needed support at the hips to keep their spines in alignment.
Is the Zenhaven a Good Mattress for Heavy Sleepers (over 250 lb)?
- Heavy Back Sleepers – I’d say this mattress works for heavy sleepers between 250 and 300 lb. Latex is a very durable and supportive material, so these sleepers shouldn’t feel eaten up by this bed. However, if you’re above 300 lb, I’d recommend checking out the Saatva HD, which is specifically designed for heavy people, or one of our best mattresses for heavy people.
- Heavy Side Sleepers – See above.
- Heavy Stomach Sleepers – See above.
Zenhaven Pain Relief Performance
Next, I’ll run through an important test: how the Zenhaven relieves pressure and therefore pain, as pain can develop when too much pressure forms at certain pressure points. In this test I will assess the bed’s capability to alleviate tension at common pain areas — the hips, shoulders, and back.
To help you visualize where these tension spots might crop up, I placed a pressure map on top of the mattress and stretched out. As I move around, my body presses into the map, which records my force and translates it into a graphic. You can see the results on the image below where pressure is represented from blue and green (low pressure) to yellow and red (high pressure).
Back Pain — Lying on my back produced similar sensations with both firmness levels, and I honestly didn’t feel too much of a difference between the Luxury Plush and Gentle Firm configurations. I could feel myself sinking just slightly through the quilted cover into the top layer, where the latex naturally contoured to the curve of my lower back and provided some immediate pressure relief.
Shoulder Pain — Lying on the Luxury Plush side, I got some satisfying pressure relief at the shoulders and hips, typical problem areas for side sleepers. The softer side of this flippable mattress will provide the right amount of sinkage to offer a night full of relief.
Hip Pain —Side and back sleepers with hip pain should be happy on the Luxury Plush side, which will cradle those sensitive areas. However, on my stomach on the Luxury Plush side, I began to feel a bit of discomfort as my hips sank out of line with my shoulders. Luckily, this mattress is flippable and the Gentle Firm side of the mattress offers the pressure relief needed for hip pain when stomach sleeping.
Zenhaven Performance for Couples
When sharing the bed with a partner, you’ll want to keep a few more things in mind while shopping for a new mattress. Features you’ll want to consider include motion transfer, performance during sex, cooling, and edge support.
If you’re looking to share your bed with a partner, you’ll want to pay special attention to its motion transfer, or the amount of disturbance that travels across the mattress from one side to the other. If you’re a light sleeper and find yourself waking easily when your partner gets up in the middle of the night, motion transfer is a critical feature to explore.
To illustrate this motion transfer, I dropped a 10 lb steel ball from heights of 4 inches, 8 inches and 12 inches and measured the disturbance it caused: the bigger the lines, the bigger the disturbance.
FYI: Each drop is meant to symbolize a different movement you’re likely to experience in bed, from tossing and turning (4 inches) to getting out of bed (8 inches) all the way to full on jumping (12 inches).
The Zenhaven displays extremely high motion transfer with both configurations, which tells me you’re likely to feel even small movements pretty easily with this mattress. Though the bounce from latex is great for keeping the sleeper positioned on top of the bed, it does unfortunately contribute to a lot of disturbance across the structure. Those of you who share a bed or wake easily might want to look for a bed with better motion isolation. Often mattresses made with memory or poly foam comfort layers will isolate motion a bit better.
The natural latex build offers bounce and responsiveness, which makes the Zenhaven a desirable mattress for sex. This bounce will prevent a feeling of being “stuck” in the mattress and will actually facilitate movements rather than absorbing them.
Being a latex bed, the Zenhaven is naturally cooling. Couples should appreciate this as two tend to overheat more quickly than one. The combination of the natural Talalay latex, breathable organic cotton cover, and New Zealand wool allow this mattress to regulate body temperature and prevent overheating throughout the night.
This mattress does not have great edge support, which may be a problem for couples as it makes the bed feel smaller and crowded. The sides of the bed hold their shape decently, but the high bounce capabilities may push sleepers towards the edge of the bed creating a feeling of “rolling off” the bed. All in all, the Zenhaven’s edge support is not the worst I have experienced, but definitely not the best.
What is the Zenhaven Mattress Made Of?
The Zenhaven is a natural latex mattress made of 100% organic materials. As we learned above, this flippable mattress offers two different firmness levels, so it can cater to many different sleeping positions. To get a better idea, let’s look at all the layers of the Zenhaven with the Luxury Plush side up.
Cover — The cover is woven with organic cotton and quilted with 100% organic New Zealand wool, giving this mattress a soft and breathable feel right off the bat. This combo of natural cotton and wool make for extra cushioning and coziness.
Luxury Plush Comfort Layer — The top layer of the bed consists of soft, antimicrobial Talalay latex. Talalay latex has a reputation for being smooth and luxurious to the touch (while dunlop latex is known for being dense and firm). All latex is super durable, so this bed won’t sag as quickly as some other foam options.
Core —Two thick layers of (you guessed it) natural Talalay latex are compressed together to form the bed’s dense support layer. The use of latex foam in this foundation layer gives the bed plenty of bounce and encourages airflow throughout the structure.
Gentle Firm Comfort Layer — This layer is made with firmer, more supportive latex, which will help stomach sleepers achieve a neutral spinal alignment. Like the other layers in this latex bed, it promotes breathability throughout the mattress.The materials used in the layers of the Zenhaven mattress
Final Thoughts about the Zenhaven Mattress
Now that we’ve explored all the nitty gritty details of the Zenhaven mattress, let’s wrap up with a few of my favorite things and complaints about this bed.
My favorite things about the Zenhaven mattress
I really appreciate the Zenhaven’s durability. The all-natural latex in this bed shouldn’t sag quickly, so the Zenhaven should last you a long time. Another great perk of this latex bed is that it’s naturally cooling, which hot sleepers should appreciate.
I also really like that the Zenhaven is a flippable mattress. The firmer side is great for stomach and back sleepers, while the softer side is great for side sleepers. Because it can cater to so many different sleepers, I think the Zenhaven is one of the best mattresses on the market for eco-friendly shoppers looking for an organic be made of natural materials.
My Zenhaven mattress complaints
On the other hand, the latex in this bed means it has a high degree of motion transfer. So couples and restless sleepers might feel overly-disturbed at night on this bed. One of our best mattresses for couples could be a better fit for these folks.
I also want to note that while I personally appreciate the bounciness of latex, the lack of sinkage on this bed could be a drawback for memory-foam lovers looking for a lot of body-contouring and hug.
How Much Does the Zenhaven Cost?
Price is a determining factor in any new mattress purchase. Latex mattresses do tend to be on the pricier side, which is true of the Zenhaven as well. But, the bed uses high-quality materials that should last a long time. Take a look at the chart below to compare sizes and pricing, and remember to check out our Saatva coupon codes to get a good deal.
Prices listed will be before discount or offer on each size.
|Twin||38" x 75" x 10"||$1,399|
|Twin XL||38" x 80" x 10"||$1,599|
|Full||54" x 75" x 10"||$1,999|
|Queen||60" x 80" x 10"||$2,399|
|King||76" x 80" x 10"||$2,999|
|California King||72" x 84" x 10"||$2,999|
|Split King||38" x 80" x 10" (2)||$3,198|
Zenhaven Mattress Policies and FAQs
Does the Zenhaven mattress come with a sleep trial?
The Zenhaven mattress, as well as all Saatva mattresses, comes with a 180-night trial period.
Does the Zenhaven come with a mattress warranty?
Yes, Saatva offers a 20-year warranty with the Zenhaven.
How does the Zenhaven mattress ship?
The Zenhaven is not a bed-in-a-box mattress, so it won’t arrive compressed. Saatva offers free white glove delivery service with this bed, which means a delivery person will set it up in the room of your choice while you sit back and relax.
Is the Zenhaven mattress organic?
Yes! The Zenhaven is handcrafted with 100% natural latex, non toxic materials to give you a better night sleep while being healthier for the environment. Even the cover is made of organic cotton!
Is the Zenhaven made in the USA?
Yes! Every Saatva mattress is made and handcrafted in the United States.
Zenhaven Mattress vs
It’s always a good idea to compare a mattress to options from other mattress companies to see how it stacks up. Below, I’ll compare the Zenhaven to the Avocado Green mattress, another latex mattress from a popular organic mattress brand, and Purple.
Zenhaven Mattress vs Avocado Green Mattress
- Like the Zenhaven, the Avocado is an all-natural latex mattress.
- The Avocado is a little cheaper than the Zenhaven.
- The Avocado offers bouncy support that’s great for back and side combination sleepers.
- Learn more about this bed in the full Avocado mattress review.
Zenhaven Mattress vs Purple
- Similar to the Zenhaven, the Purple has a lot of bounce and buoyancy.
- The Purple absorbs motion better than the Zenhaven mattress.
- The Purple is a bed-in-a-box mattress, whereas the Zenhaven does not ship compressed.
- For more information on the Purple mattress check out my full Purple mattress review.
Other Models from Saatva
Saatva also offers several other models. Take a look below to learn more about a few of their other popular mattress options.
Zenhaven Mattress vs Saatva Classic Mattress
- The Saatva classic is a bouncy innerspring mattress that comes in three different firmness levels.
- The Saatva has a traditional feel that could be nice for seniors.
- The Saatva has great edge support, which is a nice perk for couples and heavier people.
- Check out the full Saatva mattress review to learn more.
Zenhaven Mattress vs Loom & Leaf Mattress
- The Loom & Leaf is a memory foam mattress that offers lots of pressure-relieving sinkage.
- The Loom & Leaf is a great option for side sleepers who like a body-contouring feel.
- The Zenhaven sleeps cooler than the Loom & Leaf, so hot sleepers might want to opt for that mattress.
- Get all the details at my full Loom & Leaf mattress review.
Zenhaven Mattress vs Saatva Solaire Mattress
- The Saatva Solaire is an adjustable air chamber bed, which means you can choose fifty firmness settings to find what’s comfortable for you.
- Couples with different sleep preferences might appreciate that the Soliare includes two separate air chambers in sizes queen and up, so each partner can choose a different firmness level.
- For more info, head to the full Saatva Solaire mattress review.
Take a look at our mattress performance rating for the Zenhaven below.
- Edge Support