The WinkBed Plus is designed with the heavier sleeper in mind. The mattress is outfitted with a hybrid design meant to maximize pressure relief and body support without sacrificing comfort.
To see if the WinkBed Plus lives up to its aim, I, along with a heavier sleeper, put it to the test to see how comfortable and supportive it is.
Continue reading below for my WinkBed Plus mattress review. Don’t have time to read it all? Skip to the bottom and check out my review summary.
Is the WinkBed Plus a Good Mattress for You?
If you’re here, you’re likely a heavier sleeper looking for a mattress that’s going to suit your needs. Depending on factors like your preferred sleeping position, whether or not you sleep hot, and your firmness preference, the Plus may or may not work for you. Take a look at some of my recommendations below.
Who I recommend the WinkBed Plus mattress for
- The WinkBed Plus is specifically designed for sleepers over 300 lbs. It uses durable foam and highly supportive pocketed coils. It’d make a great bed for heavier folks disappointed with other options on the market.
- I’d also recommend this mattress for anyone in need of serious bounce. The latex foam and coil system work together to bring some buoyancy to the bed, allowing sleepers to shift positions easily in the night.
- There are a lot of components in this mattress that work to create a cool sleeping experience, namely the latex and individually wrapped coils. These materials encourage airflow throughout the bed and prevent the sleeper from overheating.
- I think back sleepers would be happy on the WinkBed Plus, since it has the firm support they need to promote a neutral spinal alignment.
Who I don’t recommend the WinkBed Plus mattress for
- I don’t think this mattress is soft enough for side sleepers. These sleepers need a mattress that will allow their hips and shoulders to sink into it. I’d steer them to one of our best mattresses for side sleepers instead.
- The Plus feels much firmer to light sleepers. Since it was specifically designed to support higher weights, those who are light won’t experience any sinkage. I’d recommend that lighter sleepers opt for one of the WinkBed’s other firmness options.
How Firm is the WinkBed Plus Mattress?
Now that we know a bit about the WinkBed, let’s get into the nitty gritty and discuss how it feels. When I talk about feel I like to start with firmness because it gives you the best idea of how you’ll experience the mattress. For this particular mattress, I gave it a firmness rating, and Paulie, a heavier sleeper who also tested the mattress, gave it his own firmness rating.
Personally, I experienced this mattress to be very firm, and I gave it an 8 out of 10 on the firmness scale. Paulie also experienced the Plus to be firm, but since he’s heavier he did sink into it more. He gave it a 7.5 out of 10 firmness rating. Compared to the industry standard of 6.5 for medium firmness, this mattress is on the firmer side for heavier and lighter sleepers alike.
I think this firmness level is particularly good for back sleepers who suffer from back pain, since they need ample support to keep their spines straight. Combination sleepers could also like this bed, because you should feel much more “on top of” than “stuck-in” this mattress.
WinkBed Plus Mattress Performance
To give you a more objective view of the WinkBed Plus, I put it through tests to see how it performs for different types of sleepers. Read on below to learn more!
Testing the WinkBed Mattress in Different Sleeping Positions
A mattress will feel a bit different to you depending on your preferred sleeping position and body weight. Take a look below to learn more about the WinkBed Plus.
Is the WinkBed Plus a Good Mattress for Light Sleepers (Under 130 lb)?
- Light Back Sleepers – The Plus will feel extremely firm to these sleepers. If you enjoy a firm feel, you’ll like this bed, but I’d recommend checking out a softer WinkBed model instead.
- Light Side Sleepers – This bed is much too firm for these sleepers, who need more pressure relief at the shoulders and hips. They might like the soft model of the original WinkBed.
- Light Stomach Sleepers – These sleepers could like the WinkBed Plus. It will help them keep their hips lifted up in line with their shoulders, which is helpful for avoiding back pain.
Is the WinkBed Plus a Good Mattress for Average Weight Sleepers (130 – 250 lb)?
- Average Weight Back Sleepers – These sleepers might like the WinkBed Plus if they like a firm feel. It will help promote a healthy sleep posture for these folks.
- Average Weight Side Sleepers – The WinkBed Plus is also too firm for these sleepers. They should check out a softer model of this bed to get more pressure relief around sensitive joints.
- Average Weight Stomach Sleepers – These sleepers should like this bed. It will prevent any bowing at their lower backs, which is important for avoiding pain over time.
Is the WinkBed Plus a Good Mattress for Heavy Sleepers (over 250 lb)?
- Heavy Back Sleepers – These sleepers should really like this bed. It will help them keep their spines in a nice neutral alignment and should make them feel supported throughout the night.
- Heavy Side Sleepers – These sleepers will want a softer mattress. Side sleepers need a mattress that will allow their hips and shoulders to sink in a bit, which promotes a neutral spinal alignment. Check out our best mattress for heavy people roundup to find a better fit.
- Heavy Stomach Sleepers – Though I typically recommend firm mattresses to stomach sleepers, Paulie carries his weight around his stomach, and felt a lot of uncomfortable pressure there due to the firmness of the bed. If you’re a sleeper with a larger midsection, I’d opt for a mattress with a bit more sinkage.
WinkBed Plus Mattress Pain Relief Performance
A good way to measure a mattress’s ability to relieve pain is with a pressure relief test. Pressure relief refers to how well a mattress alleviates tension at sensitive pressure points at the hips, shoulders, and lower back. It can be especially important for those who suffer from hip pain or shoulder pain, as they’ll want a bed that will cradle sensitive areas.
To measure pressure relief, I had Paulie use a pressure map, which went between him and the mattress when he lay on it. The map measures how much pressure is exerted and turns blue to green for low pressure and yellow to red for high pressure.
Back Pain – Though there is a bit of green and yellow at the hip region, the map is mostly blue, which tells me that sleepers with back pain could really like this bed, especially if they sleep on their backs. If you’re a heavier stomach sleeper who carries their weight in the stomach area, this bed might not be a great fit for you. As you can see, when Paulie was on his stomach a lot of pressure built up in that area.
Shoulder Pain – There is quite a bit of green in the shoulder area when Paulie was on his side, which tells me sleepers with shoulder pain will need a softer mattress.
Hip Pain – Similarly, the green and yellow in the hip area tells me sleepers with hip pain will need a more cushioning bed.
WinkBed Plus Mattress Performance for Couples
Couples tend to do best on a mattress that features low motion transfer, enough responsiveness for sex, good edge support, and cooling properties. Read on below to learn more about those terms and to see how the WinkBed Plus performs in those areas.
The amount of movement that travels from one side of the bed to the other is referenced by the term motion transfer. On a mattress with high motion transfer, you’ll feel a partner or pet’s movements on your side of the bed.
To measure motion transfer, I dropped a 10 lb steel ball from three different heights that are meant to mimic movements you’d experience in bed, like tossing and turning. I then measured the movement on the other side of the bed using a seismometer.
The WinkBed Plus has pretty low motion transfer! This is great news for couples or anyone who sleeps with a pet, because it means they’ll be less likely to feel movements from the other side of the mattress.
The best mattress for sex is normally responsive and bouncy, which makes it easy to move around and change positions. The WinkBed Plus’s firm feel makes it super easy to move around on this bed, which tells me it’s a good option for sex.
Couples overheat more quickly than solo sleepers, so normally prefer cooling beds. The WinkBed Plus’s hybrid construction ensures that it sleeps cool, so couples and hot sleepers could both like this bed.
Edge support is how well a mattress holds up on the sides as compared to the center. A mattress with good edge support will allow you to sleep all the way on the side of the bed without feeling like it’s collapsing beneath you. Good edge support can also add to a bed’s durability, as it helps prevent sagging.
The WinkBed Plus has great edge support. I felt quite supported on the edges of the mattress. This is great news for couples or larger sleepers who will want to take advantage of their mattress’s full surface area.
What is the WinkBed Plus Mattress Made Of?
The WinkBed Plus is a hybrid mattress with a pillow top. It’s made with a combination of pocketed coils and latex foam. It has a supportive and bouncy feel.
Cover – The Plus has a Tencel cover. Tencel is a natural, eco-friendly fiber made from eucalyptus. It has a soft feel and is really breathable, which helps prevent overheating.
Pillow Top Layer – The WinkBed Plus’s Euro pillow top is quilted with high-density “anti-sag” foam. This layer provides a bit of extra cushioning.
Comfort Layer – Next up is a 2.5-inch layer of latex foam that is zoned to be denser in areas you need added support, like the hips, and softer at the shoulders and feet. Latex has a bouncy yet pressure-relieving feel and is naturally breathable.
Support Layer – Lastly is a layer of individually wrapped coils that are specifically designed to support heavier body weights. This layer gives the mattress its firm, bouncy feel.
WinkBed Plus Unboxing and Off-Gassing
The WinkBed Plus is a bed-in-a-box mattress, so it will need 24-48 hours to off-gas and decompress after you open it. The WinkBed is a fairly heavy bed, so I’d recommend having a friend handy to help you open get it on your bed frame. Like any new bed-in-a-box, the WinkBed will release a slight odor during off-gassing, but any smell should dissipate within a few hours.
Before I wrap up this review, I’d like to recap some of my thoughts on the WinkBed Plus mattress.
My favorite things about the WinkBed Plus mattress
This mattress was designed for heavier people and it really is a fantastic bed for these individuals. Heavy people fed up with unsupportive mattresses will find a lot to love about this luxury mattress. I’m a fan of the Plus’s bouncy and supportive feel, which is especially good for combination sleepers and back sleepers. I’d also recommend the Plus to couples, since it has some nice motion isolation. It actually made our best mattress for couples roundup!
My WinkBed Plus mattress complaints
I think this bed is likely going to be too firm for lighter sleepers. I’d recommend these sleepers check out the original WinkBed in the Luxury Firm or Softer firmness option. I think side sleepers will find this mattress doesn’t have enough sinkage for their needs. Also, heavy stomach sleepers who carry most of their weight in their midsection will want to opt for a mattress with more sinkage.
How Much Does the WinkBed Plus Cost?
Before you go ahead and throw out your old mattress, you’ll want to take a look at how much a new one costs. Take a look at the pricing chart below, and be sure to visit our WinkBeds mattress coupon page for a discount.
Price listed will be before discount or offer for each size.
|Twin||38" x 75" x 14.5"||58 lbs||$1,249|
|Twin XL||38" x 80" x 14.5"||60 lbs||$1,349|
|Full||54" x 75" x 14.5"||70 lbs||$1,499|
|Queen||60" x 80" x 14.5"||79 lbs||$1,799|
|King||76" x 80" x 14.5"||93 lbs||$1,999|
|California King||72" x 84" x 14.5"||93 lbs||$1,999|
WinkBeds Mattress Policies and FAQs
Does the WinkBed Plus have a trial period?
WinkBeds offers a 120 night sleep trial. It also has an “Any Reason” 50% off lifetime guarantee available. This allows customers to exchange their mattress to a different firmness level after the trial has ended for a 50% discount at any point during their ownership.
Does WinkBeds offer a mattress warranty?
Yes, all WinkBeds mattresses come with a lifetime warranty.
How does the WinkBed Plus ship?
The WinkBed Plus is a bed-in-a-box mattress, which means it will ship compressed in a box. WinkBeds offers free shipping.
Where is the WinkBed Plus made?
All WinkBeds mattresses are made in the USA in the WinkBeds factory in Watertown, Wisconsin.
Do I need a box spring with the WinkBed Plus?
No, the WinkBed Plus is designed to work with most bed frames and foundations. However, they do recommend that you use a platform foundation to maximize your bed’s lifespan.
Does the WinkBed Plus have an off-gassing period?
No, the WinkBed plus doesn’t need time to let out trapped gasses. WinkBeds says you can use your mattress immediately after unboxing.
WinkBed Plus Mattress Vs
Before purchasing a new mattress, you might want to take a look at how it stacks up to some of its competitors from other popular online mattress companies.
WinkBed Plus vs Saatva HD
- Like the Plus, the Saatva HD is designed for heavier sleepers and has more support than their other models.
- Unlike the Plus, The Saatva HD is an innerspring mattress. However, both mattresses have latex comfort layers, though the Saatva HD also has a memory foam comfort layer.
- The Saatva HD is a bit more expensive than the WinkBed Plus.
- Learn more in my full Saatva HD mattress review.
WinkBed Plus vs Big Fig
- Like the Plus, the Big Fig is specifically made for heavier people.
- The Big Fig has about the same firmness level as the Plus and is definitely a firm mattress.
- The Big Fig is a bit less expensive than the Plus.
- Learn more in my full Big Fig mattress review.
Other Models from WinkBeds
Now that you know almost everything about the WinkBed Plus, have a look at what else WinkBeds has to offer.
WinkBed Plus vs Original WinkBed
- Unlike the Plus, the Original WinkBed was not designed specifically for heavy people.
- The WinkBed’s materials differ from the Plus. The WinkBed has SupportCell foam in its comfort layer, which offers a bit more sinkage than the WinkBed’s latex foam comfort layer.
- The WinkBed feels softer than the Plus.
- Learn more in my full WinkBed mattress review.
WinkBed Plus vs WinkBeds EcoCloud
- The WinkBeds EcoCloud is the brand’s eco-friendly mattress that’s made with sustainable, high-quality materials.
- The EcoCloud is a bit softer than the Plus and has a more medium-firm feel.
- The EcoCloud is more expensive than the Plus.
- Learn more in my full WinkBeds EcoCloud mattress review.
WinkBed Plus vs WinkBeds GravityLux
- Unlike the Plus, the GravityLux is a memory foam mattress that offers more sinkage and contouring.
- The GravityLux is an all-foam mattress that has three foam layers. It doesn’t offer the responsiveness that the hybrid Plus does.
- The GravityLux is more expensive than the Plus.
- Learn more in my full WinkBeds GravityLux mattress review.
Take a look at our mattress performance ratings for the WinkBed Plus mattress below.
WinkBed Plus Mattress
- Edge Support