If you’re in the market for a new crib mattress, you’ve likely stumbled upon the suite of Newton Baby products. This parent-led brand is one of the most popular in the space, most likely because its mattresses are designed to be supportive, highly breathable, and free of harmful chemicals.
Newton sells a number of different products, but I’m only going to take a look at the company’s Original Crib Mattress in this review. We’ll explore what it’s made of, how it feels, and whether or not it’s the right fit for you and your baby.
But before we do any of that, we’ve first got to get a handle on what makes an excellent crib mattress!
What Makes a Good Crib Mattress
Though adult-sized mattresses and crib mattresses are both technically, you know, mattresses, they’re actually not very similar. Like, at all. In fact, I’ve found that you have to assess them as two totally different entities, which can make it difficult for new or expectant parents to wrap their heads around what makes a crib mattress great (or not so great) for kids.
So, before we even get into the Original Newton Crib Mattress, I wanted to take a moment to highlight some of the most important factors to consider when buying a crib mattress:
- Breathability – First and foremost, it’s crucial that your crib mattress is breathable. This will not only help your little one sleep cool at night, but can also help prevent suffocation once they start rolling onto their stomachs. Look for mattresses that utilize fabrics specifically designed for breathability and airflow, such as Muslin Cotton. If you’re unsure whether or not your mattress is breathable, simply press your face into the cover and try to breathe — if your airways are blocked, your baby’s most certainly will be, too.
- Chemical Free – It’s also important for your crib mattress to be free of any harmful toxins and chemicals. Off-gassing from polyurethane foams can create an unhealthy environment for your child, so go for an organic structure if and when you can. To ensure that the mattress meets high-quality standards, look for ones that have received Greenguard certifications.
- Firm – In terms of firmness, you’ll want to ensure that your crib mattress is quite sturdy with little to no sinkage. Both babies and toddlers need to be positioned squarely on top of the bed to prevent suffocation and to promote healthy bone growth.
- Support – And finally, your crib mattress needs to be highly supportive. Proper spinal alignment is important for all sleepers, but perhaps most so for little ones growing into their bodies. Therefore, any crib mattress you buy must lift the hips in line with the shoulders to prevent detrimental aches and pains.
Now that we’ve got a better understanding of what makes a good crib mattress tick, let’s turn our attention back to Newton!
What is the Newton Crib Mattress Made Of?
As I mentioned up top, Newton sells a few different crib mattresses: the Basic, Original, and Waterproof. Though all three models are distinct from one another, they feature the same fundamental design of a super breathable cover wrapped around the brand’s proprietary Wovenaire® Core.
The main difference between the Basic and Original mattresses is the amount of Wovenaire® material incorporated into the design. In the Basic, we see 4” of the stuff whereas in the Original, we see 5.5”. The extra inches leads to increased comfort as well as an increased price tag (of around $50). And as the name suggests, the Waterproof Newton is basically the Original with an added waterproof barrier.
Since all three mattresses feature the same basic materials, I’m going to break them down below to give you a sense of how they function within the beds.
3-D Space Cover – The quilted cover used across the three models is made from 100% polyester, which makes for a breathable and fully washable material. That the cover is so breathable is a big selling point for the brand, and one of the reasons why Newton crib mattresses are so popular. In terms of cover design, you get either a “single-layer” cover in the Basic or a “double-layer” cover in the Original or Waterproof. I’m not sure how the extra layer would affect the overall feel of the mattress, but Newton claims it encourages even more airflow for cooling.
Wovenaire® Core – The bulk of every Newton crib mattress is made of the brand’s specialty Wovenaire® Core. This material is quite unique in that it’s built from individually spun plastic threads. As these fibers are pressed together, they form a solid block of polymer that’s supportive and bouncy. There’s not a lot of give here, but that’s the whole point, as the firmness works to position the sleeper on top of the structure. A major benefit of the material is that it’s Greenguard Gold certified to be chemical and toxin-free.
How Does the Newton Crib Mattress Feel?
Though I’m not a baby (what?!), I do want to take a quick second to chat about the overall feel of this mattress. I didn’t lie on top of it, but I can say that it did feel quite firm under my hand. I was concerned that I would be able to feel the individual plastic fibers of the Wovenaire® Core, but was surprised to find that it really did feel like a solid and consistent material.
I’d also note that the quilted cover is indeed soft and gentle. I imagine it would bring great comfort to a baby or toddler as it’s cozy without allowing for too much sinkage. All in all, I think the Newton Original Crib Mattress could be a great option for most kids!
Is the Newton Crib Mattress Right For Your Child?
Well folks, that about does it for my review of the Original Newton Crib Mattress! Though I truly do think this bed could be a winner for most families, there are a few folks for whom I think this mattress could be particularly well-suited.
Newton Crib Mattress Recommendations
- If you’re concerned about creating a safe, toxin-free sleeping environment for your child, this mattress could be a great fit. It’s not quite organic, but it’s pretty darn close, ensuring your baby won’t be exposed to harmful chemicals in the night.
- Support is a major factor to consider when buying a new crib mattress, and this Newton model passes with flying colors! Here, you’ll find an ultra-firm bed that’s fantastic at establishing proper spine alignment.
- I’d also say that I like how breathable this bed is, which could be especially important for folks whose kids are starting to roll onto their stomachs.
Newton Crib Mattress Complaints
- My major complaint for the Newton is its price. The Basic goes for $250, the Original goes for $300, and the Waterproof goes for $350, which means this bed just isn’t going to be in everyone’s budget.
- I’d also say that because of its unique feel, the Wovenaire® Core likely won’t appeal to all sleepers. If you’re into more of a traditional foam vibe, you’ll probably want to look elsewhere.
Is the Newton Crib Mattress worth it?
If you’re in the market for a safe, breathable, and chemical free crib mattress, then the Newton could be a great fit!
Is the Newton Mattress safe?
The Newton Crib Mattress is one of the safest options on the market. Not only does it feature a breathable cover (to prevent suffocation), it’s also built without chemicals to ensure a toxin-free environment.
Do breathable crib mattresses work?
Definitely! Breathable fabrics and covers help to cut down on the chances of suffocation, which can be especially important for babies that are just starting to roll onto their stomachs.
How do I know if my baby’s mattress is firm enough?
Use household items to approximate the weight of your child! By pressing their exact weight onto the structure, you’ll be able to gauge how much sinkage the mattress experience. If it’s a ton, move along. If it hardly sinks at all, you’re in the clear.
Newton Crib Mattress
- Edge Support