We’re only being slightly hyperbolic when we say that there are approximately 8 billion decorative pillow covers out there. This can make choosing the right pillow covers for your bedroom (or another area of your home) a daunting prospect. Luckily, a few tips can help you narrow your search.
Think about the type of material you prefer, such as velvet, corduroy, chenille, or faux fur. Then, think about the aesthetic that you want: Do you like a pillow with pom-poms around the edge or embroidery on the front? Or do you want a solid color? You’ll also want to think about the color(s) that will best match with your home decor. Then decide whether you prefer machine or hand washing. Finally, consult our guide for some of the best decorative pillows on the market. Voila: Your list of options should be way more manageable!
Mixhug Velvet Decorative Throw Pillow Covers
- A huge variety of colors let you customize the color palette to your living space.
- These are made of 100% velvet, which makes them soft and comfortable to the touch.
- The hidden zippers make it easy to put on these covers and remove them for washing.
- The colors seem to be true to the pictures (though we can’t vouch for every color).
- The sizing options shared by the manufacturer might be slightly off. For instance, you might find that the 18 X 18 inches option is a little too small to fit an 18 X 18 insert.
- There are only three sizing options, so these won’t be an option for every pillow insert.
Soft velvet and hidden zippers make the Mixhug Velvet Decorative Throw Pillow Covers extra comfortable and snuggly. Choose from a huge variety of colors to customize the pillows to your home decor.
HOME BRILLIANT Corduroy Throw Pillow Cover
- The fabric is designed to be shrink-resistant and soft to the touch.
- The covers are machine washable, and the fabric and color should hold up after washings.
- A variety of monochromatic colors and sizing options give you plenty of choices to customize the pillows to your home decor.
- The invisible zipper makes it easy to add and remove the cover while creating a seamless look.
- Some users have reported that some colors don’t seem true to the pictures.
- These are budget-friendly covers, so it’s hard to predict whether they’ll stand up to long-term use.
A variety of color and sizing options make the HOME BRILLIANT Corduroy Throw Pillow Covers exceptionally customizable. The plush fabric is vibrant and soft to the touch.
Top Finel Decorative Throw Pillow Covers with Pom-poms
- Plenty of color and sizing options let you customize the covers to your home. The sizes accommodate both square and rectangular pillow inserts.
- The colors should be true to their photos.
- The hidden zipper maintains a clean aesthetic while making it easy to remove the cover for washing.
- The velvet fiber is designed to be fade- and shrink-resistant, so washing shouldn’t change the look.
- The fabric is pretty thin, so over-stuffing the pillow might mean that any wrinkles in the stuffing show through the fabric.
- These are budget-friendly pillows, and they might not stand up to long-term wear and tear.
Add a touch of elegance and whimsy to any room with the Top Finel Decorative Throw Pillow Covers with Pom-poms. A hidden zipper creates clean lines so the pom-poms take center stage.
TangDepot Floral/Flower Printcloth Decorative Throw Pillow Covers
- You can choose from a wide variety of floral designs and more sizing options than are typical of other pillow covers. This makes it very easy to customize the pillow covers to your home decor.
- The invisible zippers ensure a clean look but give you the option of removing the covers.
- The material is 100% cotton, which is a rare find among decorative pillow covers.
- The edges are sewn with an overlock stitch to help prevent fraying, so these should hold up to longer-term use.
- These are a little pricier than many of the pillow covers on this list.
- Some users have reported that some of the colors aren’t exactly true to the picture.
Bring a garden vibe indoors (without any dirt!) with the TangDepot Floral/Flower Printcloth Decorative Throw Pillow Covers. Choose from tons of sizes and floral designs depending on the size of your pillow inserts and your decorative preferences.
SLOW COW Cotton Embroidery Decor Throw Pillow Cover
- The pillows come in several color options and a variety of embroidery patterns, so there should be something for every embroidery fan.
- The colors are vibrant and should “pop” in any setting.
- The embroidery is made of raised cotton threading set against white linen fabric, which creates an elegant, high-end aesthetic.
- The pillow covers are removable (thanks to the zipper) and hand washable. Make sure to follow the manufacturer’s care instructions.
- One of these covers costs about the same as two of many of the other covers on this list. That said, you’re getting more value in the form of intricate embroidery.
- The cover only comes in one size (18 X 18 inches). You’ll probably want to opt for an insert that’s a little smaller to account for slight deviations in the cover’s size.
Vibrant colors and elegant, finely detailed embroidery make the Slow COW Cotton Embroidery Decor Throw Pillow Covers stand out among competitors. The removable covers are hand washable.
HOME BRILLIANT Decorative Chenille Throw Pillow Case
- The classic look should fit into most homes and won’t become outdated any time soon.
- Several pretty color options offer a subtle, muted update to any room.
- The invisible zipper makes it easy to add and remove the cover without detracting from the overall look.
- The material is soft to the touch, and the cover is machine washable.
- Some users have noted that some of the colors might look a little different in person than they do in pictures.
- These are a budget-friendly product, so it’s not guaranteed that they’ll stand up to long-term use.
For those seeking a more subtle bedroom or living room accent, the HOME BRILLIANT Decorative Chenille Throw Pillow Cases offer a number of muted color options. The soft material is machine washable.
Best Faux Fur
LANANAS Luxury Faux Fur Throw Pillow Covers
- The faux fur material is soft and smooth to the touch.
- The aesthetic has a resemblance to sheep’s wool, which creates a cozy and inviting look.
- The invisible zipper is made from a similar color as the fabric to be extra sure that it doesn’t detract from the overall look.
- The material should only be hand washed or dry cleaned (not machine washed), which makes care a little bit of a hassle.
- Some users have reported that the covers are prone to shedding.
Feel like you’re cuddling up to a soft, cozy lamb (without hurting any lambs!) with the LANANAS Luxury Faux Fur Throw Pillow Covers. The invisible zipper matches the fabric color to ensure a seamless look.
MIULEE Velvet Decorative Throw Pillow Covers
- A huge range of solid color options let you mix and match or create a monochromatic palette that suits your living space.
- Five sizing options mean these should fit a variety of pillows, including square and rectangular ones.
- The cases are soft to the touch, which makes them comfortable for lounging.
- The zipper is hidden so it doesn’t detract from the overall aesthetic.
- Some users have reported that certain colors may not look the same in person as they do in photos.
- This is a bargain product, which means these may not be the longest-lasting pillow covers out there.
A huge range of colors and five sizing options ensure the MIULEE Velvet Decorative Throw Pillow Covers will jive with virtually any space and pillow insert. The soft cases feature hidden zippers and a seriously budget-friendly price.
How We Picked
There are a lot of decorative throw pillow covers out there. To narrow down our search (and yours!), we considered the following factors.
When it comes to decorative pillows, there are a ton of design options to choose from. Maybe you like the look of faux fur, or perhaps you’re a pom-poms kind of person. Maybe you like an embroidered front, or you just want a solid color. We included a variety of design styles so you can choose accordingly.
We also looked for pillow covers that come in a variety of colors so they could be customized to diverse living spaces. Whether you’re looking for floral designs, detailed embroidery, vibrant colors, or more subtle hues, this list has got you covered.
There are a ton of great pillow covers for under $30, so we contained our search to that price cap. Some of the options on this list sell for under $15 for two covers, which is a pretty stellar bargain.
The more detailed designs (such as the embroidered covers) cost a little more, but you also get more for your money. No matter your budget, there should be something for you on this list.
The materials used in a given decorative pillow can have a big impact on the pillow’s aesthetic and hand feel. We included a lot of different materials options so you can choose what best suits your decor and your comfort preferences. This list includes the likes of chenille, corduroy, cotton, faux fur, linen, and velvet.
To choose the right option for your needs, consider your home decor and your intended use for the pillow. For example, if people will be cuddling up with the pillows every day, then you’ll probably want to choose a material with a soft hand feel. If the pillows will be purely decorative and won’t be touched often, then softness doesn’t matter so much.
Note that the options on this list are all decorative pillow covers, so you’ll need to purchase inserts separately. Inserts come in a variety of shapes and sizes, from small squares to large squares or lumbar support rectangles.
You’ll need to purchase pillow covers that fit around your inserts. We chose options with a variety of sizing choices so you can customize them to your aesthetics and your inserts.
Sleepopolis Buying Tips
To narrow down your quest for the best decorative pillow, ask yourself the following:
- What are your aesthetic preferences? This question covers both design styles and color preferences. For instance, you’ll want to think about whether you want an embroidered cover, faux fur, embellishments such as pom-poms, or a solid color. You’ll also want to consider your color preferences. Some people like intense pops of color, while others prefer more muted hues. And, of course, you’ll want to match the color(s) to your living space.
- What are your sizing needs? If you already own pillow inserts, then you’ll want to make sure that you purchase covers that will fit around them. If you haven’t purchased pillow inserts yet, spend some time thinking about your preferred pillow size and shape (e.g. rectangular vs. square).
- What’s your preferred hand feel? If people will be using the pillows for naps or snuggling on the couch, then you might want to opt for fabrics that are soft to the touch. If the pillows will mostly just be looked at, then you probably don’t need to worry so much about hand feel.
Decorative pillows can enhance the look of any room by adding a pop of color, tying together a diverse color scheme, and suggesting that care has gone into the room’s design. They can also make your seating more comfortable. Put some thought into choosing the best decorative pillow covers for your needs, and your efforts will pay off for years to come.