Headboards not only provide a bed with a means of providing some stability and support at the top of a bed. Headboards can be a point of orientation in a room, the anchor of an aesthetic choice, or even a piece of art in of themselves. Whether a sleeper wants a new headboard out for increased comfort or utility, or for style, there are a range of options available.
Headboards can be crafted from various materials, take a multitude of shapes, and can have different installation procedures. Shoppers should really browse the market to see all the options that are available to them. We have taken a look at some of the more popular options available to see what they are all about:
Modway Lily Tufted Headboard
- Adjustable. This headboard is adjustable, which is not true of many of its competitors. This product has seven different heights to help match with various bed frames.
- Four different colors. The Modway Lily Headboard comes in beige, navy blue, gray, and ivory. These classic color should match most decors.
- Elegant design for an affordable price. This tufted headboard sports a traditional yet chic look. Many similarly-designed products might cost several times as much.
- Legs can be wobbly. Depending on the height of the bed, the wooden legs of the headboard may wobble a bit. Users may need to push the headboard and bed flush against the wall.
- Doesn’t work with metal spring beds. This headboard works best with box frame beds. Metal spring frames won’t work as well.
The Modway Lily Tufted Headboard offers a great way to spruce up any bedroom. Available in different bed sizes, it offers an elegant design for an affordable price and can be adjusted to fit the height of the bed frame.
Sauder Orchard Hills Bookcase Headboard
- Cord access. This bookcase is engineered for the modern age. The back panel has cord access for charging devices, alarm clocks, reading lamps, or whatever else needs to be plugged in.
- Adjustable shelves. Not only does this headboard have five shelves and a top ledge to rest things on, but two of the shelves are adjustable. This is great for those wanting to arrange art or other effects above their beds.
- Sustainability. This product is manufactured using recycled wood. The leftover sawdust is used to power some of the company’s operations, with other wood scraps being put to secondary uses.
- Only fits full and queen beds. This is a one-size bed that only fits fulls and queens.
- Heavy. This headboard weighs over sixty pounds. Though it is nicely designed, it is recommended to make doubly sure the product is properly installed.
Featuring a Carolina Oak finish and sustainably-manufactured wood, Sauder’s Orchard Hills Bookcase Headboard features several compartments for storage and art. It is adjustable and has easy cord access.
Zinus Jessica Modern Studio Upholstered Metal Headboard
- Three design options. This sleek upholstered products features three different styles for shoppers to choose from. Available area a headboard with horizontal fabric bands, vertical horizontal bands, or a button tufted headboard.
- Price. You will find that this is one of the more affordable headboards available for purchase. It is a great choice when outfitting several beds.
- Be careful not to screw too tight. Due to the hollowing of the metal, screws that are screwed in too tightly might dent or bend the frame.
- Awkward to assemble. This product may take a bit longer than others to assemble. Some of the holes and screws are difficult to line up.
This Zinus Jessica Modern Metal Headboard is sturdy yet not too cumbersome. It has three different design options available in gray or brown for twin to king sized beds.
Best Wall-Mounted Headboards
Vänt Upholstered Wall Mounted Headboards
- Versatility. This type of headboard employs wall-mounted panels in a four-panel stack. With each set coming with 4 stacks, you can mix and match colors or create larger headboards that reach to the ceiling if desired.
- Color options. The range of colors and fabric available is one of the widest to be found, with 30 colors found in 6 different finishes. These panels are made either of microsuede, a form of velvet, or a cotton weave.
- Easy installation. These panels are relatively easy to mount. This is great for those who dread long product-assembly times.
- Works best on flat walls. Those trying to maneuver around a window or other obstacle may have some trouble installing the panels. Some creativity may need to be involved.
- Not the best quality hardware. The hardware included with the product is not the heaviest-duty.
Vänt’s Upholstered and Wall-Mounted Headboards can add a dynamic look to a bedroom not just because of the range of colors available. The panels come in two sizes and can be combined with other sets to make unique looks.
Most Unique Designs
Barn Walls Rustic Mix Headboard
- 14 inspired looks. These headboards sport an artistic flare. Each of the 14 versions features a kaleidoscope of variously weathered and stained wood boards that are handsomely arranged in a pattern.
- Mount or lean. While the panels that make up the headboard are easily mounted, this manufacturer has a “lean” version that can simply lean against the wall. Great for those who are not adept at handywork.
- Samples. If you aren’t sure of which headboard you are interested in, you can pay a very small amount and have samples sent to your homes. Helpful to see how the wood matches a home decor.
- Staining smell. Because the wood may have been recently stained, it may have a faint residue of the staining product. It may need to air out a bit before installation.
- Wood is thin. While it should serve its purpose as a headboard fine, the wood used is rather thin and can break if sustaining a big enough impact.
The Barn Walls Rustic Mix Headboard is a delightfully stylish and unique option for those hoping for a rustic look. Each headboard is made from sets of wood that have been stained and weathered.
How We Picked
Headboards can be bought for a variety of reasons. Not all headboards will satisfy these needs however; some may be comfortable while others are simply stylish and not very comfortable to lean against. We’ve tried to keep all of that in mind when evaluating. Here are the factors that resonated with us the most:
Headboards typically have two different components; there is the hardware and the frame, and there is the actual headboard itself. Frames are usually made out of wood or metal, and the hardware is almost always metal but sometimes plastic. Metal frames can be more sturdy but some can still be bent or damaged, while wood sports a more traditional look.
The material used as the headboard is typically made with foam padding covered by a type of fabric. Cotton weaves, microsuede, and leather-like fabrics are the most common. These all are meant to make the headboard more comfortable to lean against; the headboards made out of wood may be a little less comfortable by design.
Headboards are like any type of home furniture. They can be time-consuming and even difficult to assemble, but once they are built they should be relatively maintenance free. That being said, some products offer easier assembly procedures than others.
The more parts (shelves, poles) a headboard has, the more steps it will take to assemble. Wall-mounted headboards are sometimes easier to assemble, as panels will simply latch onto a metal frame screwed to the wall. These, however, may need more maintenance as they are always subject to the constant force of gravity.
The biggest difference between different headboards might not be a physical variation, but the price. The highest-end headboards can cost hundreds of dollars. Headboards in the higher price ranges are made of high-quality materials and are sturdily designed. The styles of the more expensive headboards range from traditional and elegant to artistic and unique.
That doesn’t mean the more affordable versions won’t satisfy a wide swathe of your needs. Shoppers can find headboards that are simple and chic or that provide great utility for a very reasonable price. Manufacturers have created lots of different colors, fabrics, and styles within a modest price range.
Not sure which headboard is right for you? Here are some tips that might help you make your choice:
- What is the style of your room?
- If your room has lots of artwork, bold paint colors, or a bedframe with a distinct look, it may behoove you to find a headboard that matches with at least one of the colors or styles.
- Those who are outfitting a room from scratch can take more risks and use the headboard as one of the base pieces of a room’s decor.
- What size bed do you have?
- Many manufacturers make headboards for twins, fulls, queens, and kings, but not for California kings. California king beds may be harder to find a match.
- Some types of headboards can match multiple bed sizes. Wall-mounted headboards tend to be the most versatile.