In April 2016, Casper sued me in federal court over my reviews and I am fighting that lawsuit. The review below, like all my reviews, reflects my honest opinion.
Here we go again! It’s another battle between the refreshed Brooklyn Bedding and popular Casper mattress. Will Brooklyn Bedding be able to compete with Casper in this week’s mattress battle?
Continue reading below to find out if Brooklyn Bedding is powerful enough to take on the fierce competitor, Casper.
In a hurry? Click here to slide down to the review summary.
Unfortunately, Casper does not provide any coupons for Sleepopolis readers.
Brooklyn Bedding Mattress Review
The Brooklyn Bedding mattress is a 10″ all foam mattress built from 3 different layers. Unlike most other online mattress companies, Brooklyn Bedding owns and operates their own factory. This means cutting the middlemen out of the equation and providing a high quality mattress at a fraction of the cost to the consumer.
- Top layer (comfort) – 2″ layer of Talalay latex. While all latex foams offer great response, bounce, and cooling, Talalay is a bit more consistent than Dunlop. Therefore, it was selected to be the top layer to provide great consistency in feel.
- Middle layer (comfort / support) – 2″ layer of Dunlop latex. Dunlop is very similar to Talalay with regards to response, bounce, and cooling, but it’s more durable overall. It was placed in the middle to offer the same features as Talalay while adding durability, longevity, and support. The Dunlop layer is firmer than the Talalay top layer, providing great deep compression support.
- Bottom layer (support / foundational) – 6″ layer of high density polyfoam. Highly breathable, gives the mattress shape, and acts as the mattresses foundation / support system.
Built from a quilted cotton polyester blended fabric, the cover has a soft and enjoyable feel to it. Brooklyn Bedding quilted the cover with a thin layer of polyfoam (3/4″ thick) that adds a nice cushion and extra pressure relief. The cotton construction ensures it has great breathability and allows air to flow both in and out of the cover.
Aesthetically, the cover has a nice look to it. Instead of the typical 2-tone design, Brooklyn Bedding decided to insert their logo along the perimeter of the side panels. I personally like the different look of the Brooklyn Bedding mattress. It’s always nice to see mattresses that move away from the standard 2-tone or all white rectangle design.
Firmness, Feel, & Support
Offered in 3 different levels of firmness, the Brooklyn Bedding mattress ranges from 3.5-8.5 out of 10 on the firmness scale (with 10 being the most firm). During my tests, I slept on their medium level, which is a 6 out of 10 on the firmness scale. Their soft mattress is a 3.5 out of 10 and their firm is an 8.5 out of 10.
The most notable attribute of the Brooklyn Bedding mattress is its bounce. Since they use a 100% latex comfort layers they are able to create a bounce that most foam mattresses cannot compete with. The all latex comfort layer creates exceptional bounce and responsiveness. The added bounce makes amorous activities extremely enjoyable.
The Brooklyn Bedding mattress sleeps extremely cool. Once again, the latex helps to improve the overall cooling and avoid unwanted hot spots. Latex, especially compared to many traditional or lower quality memory foams, is a much better performer with regards to minimizing heat retention.
All in all, this mattress provides good body contour and hug as well. While testing the mattress, I slept on my side, stomach, and back. Each position felt as if I was getting more than enough support. In a normal lying position, at a weight of 140 pounds, I experienced about 1-1.5″ of sinkage.
Ready to pull the trigger on Brooklyn Bedding? Use code SLEEPOPOLIS5 to save 5% off any order.
|Split California King||$1,050|
- Shipping – free shipping anywhere within the continental US, comes compressed in a box in 3-4 days
- Trial Period – 120 trial period (one of the longest I have seen)
- Refunds – 100% money back guarantee within the 120 day trial period
- Warranty – 10 years
- Discounts – save 5% off with code “SLEEPOPOLIS5“
Read the full Brooklyn Bedding mattress review here.
Casper Mattress Review
The Casper is a 3 layer 10″ all foam mattress.
- Top layer (latex foam) – 1.5″ of latex foam providing cooling, comfort, and bounce for the mattress.
- Middle layer (memory foam) – 1.5″ of memory foam. This layer is designed provide support and pressure relief for the mattress.
- Bottom layer (support foam) – this 7″ high density support foam acts as the foundational base for the mattress.
Casper offers the traditional 2-tone cover that has become the staple aesthetic for many online mattress companies. The white fabric on top is 100% polyester and is quite porous. This combination works to provide breathability and surface cooling on the mattress. The grey side panels make their way here from Belgium, while the white fabric is sourced and made in the USA.
Firmness, Feel, & Support
Coming in at a 6 out of 10 on the firmness scale (with 10 being the most firm) Casper is considered a medium firm mattress. Classified under the “universal comfort” mattress category, it is designed to meet the needs of most sleepers. Feel will vary depending upon body type / size. As a heavier sleeper, the Casper will feel more like a 7 out of 10 due to the increased sinkage thru much of the comfort foam. The more you sink, the more closely you are in contact with the more dense, harder foam layers. Sleepers over 200 pounds will want to consider their firmness / feel preferences closely to ensure you get the proper support and comfort dynamic that your body needs.
Casper provides a fairly pronounced hug around your body. At 140 pounds, I saw about 1-1.5″ of sinkage while lying normally on my back. Unlike traditional memory foam, the Casper does not give the sleeper that trapped feeling that is usually associated with the memory foam mattresses. With a top layer of latex, the sleeper does sink a similar amount, but there is no exaggerated memory hug. Additionally, the latex provides great bounce and response. Yet, the overall support from the Casper is average.
- Shipping – free shipping, comes in 1-5 days compressed in a box
- Trial Period – 100 nights
- Refunds – 100% money back
- Discounts – none currently available
Brooklyn Bedding vs Casper Mattress Comparison
|Foam Layers||1.5" latex foam, 1.5" memory foam, 7.0" support foam||2" Talalay latex, 2" Dunlap latex, 6" of high density polyfoam|
|Cover||Soft, decent thickness, good stretch, good cooling||Soft, quilted with a 3/4" polyfoam blend, good cooling|
|Firmness||6-7 out of 10||3.5 out of 10
6 out of 10
8.5 out of 10
|Support||Very good||Very good|
|Motion Transfer||Very minimal||Very minimal|
|Price - Queen||$850||$750|
|Price - King||$950||$900|
|Warranty||10 years||10 years|
|Trial Period||100 nights||120 nights|
|Shipping||Free, 1-5 days, compressed in a box||Free, 3-4 days, compressed in a box|
|Refunds & Returns||Yes||Yes|
Finally, it has boiled down to one question, which mattress should you buy, Brooklyn Bedding or Casper? After careful review and months of testing these two mattresses, I believe Brooklyn Bedding is simply the better mattress. Brooklyn Bedding’s design, performance, materials, and price point simply knock it out of the park in a side-by-side comparison.
I would recommend the Brooklyn Bedding mattress to sleepers who:
- Want 3 different firmness level options – Brooklyn Bedding offers their mattress in soft, medium, and firm. These firmness levels range from 3.5-8.5 out of 10 on the firmness scale, with 10 being the most firm. Having multiple firmness levels is a wonderful benefit, especially if you don’t think you fall in that medium feel range.
- Want thicker comfort layers – thicker comfort layers mean better comfort, better support, and better deep compression support. Brooklyn Bedding has a full 1″ more comfort foam, which may not sound like much, but trust me the difference in feel is significant and only becomes more and more significant the more over 200 pounds you.
- Want a mattress with great bounce – with a top layer of Talalay latex and a middle layer of Dunlop latex, this mattress has an enjoyable level of bounce for great sleep and great sex. Highly responsive, there is zero “trapped” or “stuck” feeling with the Brooklyn Bedding mattress.
- Want a mattress with latex comfort layers – with 4″ of latex foam and a 6″ standard support foam, Brooklyn Bedding does a great job of providing lots of latex in all of the right places, but also using support foam to help minimize price. It’s a good in-between option for sleepers who want the benefits of a latex mattress, but don’t want to pay the hefty price for a 100% all latex bed.
- Want an amazing deal – it’s hard to beat the low prices Brooklyn Bedding offers. A high quality mattress priced at $750 for a Queen is hard to come by, even online. Since Brooklyn Bedding owns their factory they are able to offer a price point that Casper simply cannot match.