The original WinkBed and original Casper are both popular bed-in-a-box mattresses that feature zoned support. But the similarities pretty much end there. While the WinkBed is a hybrid pillow top mattress, the Casper is an all-foam bed. These different constructions lead to two totally divergent feels best-suited for distinct types of sleepers.
Not sure if the WinkBed or the Casper is better for your specific sleep needs? Then you’re in the right place! In this comparison, I’ll cover these mattresses’ similarities, differences, and unique features so you can find the best option for your sleep needs. Read on for the low-down, or skip to the summary to save time!
WinkBed vs Casper: Similarities and Differences
At first glance, the flagship WinkBed and Casper don’t seem all that similar. But they do have a couple features in common. I’ll kick things off by discussing their shared features, and then move on to describing their differences. I’d encourage you to check out the full Casper mattress review or WinkBeds mattress review for more info on both these beds.
Note: the WinkBed is offered in a Softer, Luxury Firm, and Firmer model. I’ll be discussing the Luxury Firm WinkBed in this review.
- Both the Casper and WinkBed feature a zoned support system that’s firmer at the hips and softer around the shoulders. This helps prevent sleepers from feeling jammed up at the shoulder and helps prevent back pain.
- The WinkBed and the Casper both include great cooling features that should appeal to hot sleepers.
- You’ll feel more “on top of” than “in” both of these beds, though the WinkBeds is a bit bouncier than the Casper. If you’re looking for a more body-contouring feel, I’d recommend checking out our best memory foam mattresses instead.
- Both beds have a firm feel.
- The Casper is an all-foam mattress while the WinkBed is a hybrid mattress that uses innerspring coils. Casper also offers a hybrid version of its original mattress, which you can read about in our Casper Hybrid mattress review. I’ll be focusing on the original foam Casper here.
- The WinkBed’s hybrid construction means it is bouncier and more supportive than the Casper. This is good news for heavy people (over 250 lbs) who need some extra lift.
- The Casper mattress is less expensive than the WinkBed.
Which is Better for You?
So what do these similarities and differences mean for you? Take a look at the list below to see which of these beds is the best mattress for your needs.
- If you’re a back sleeper either of these mattresses could work for you! They each offer zoned support that’s great for back sleepers.
- If you’re a combination sleeper you might prefer the WinkBed. It’s just a bit easier to change sleeping positions on than the Casper.
- If you’re a stomach sleeper the WinkBed is the way to go. It offers the firm coil support stomach sleepers need to keep their spines neutrally aligned.
- If you’re a side sleeper the Casper might be best for you. It should feel a bit softer around the shoulders and hips than the WinkBed. However, the WinkBed does come in a “Softer” model that might fit your needs.
- If you sleep with a partner the Casper is a better choice. It isolates motion just a little better than the WinkBed, which means you’ll feel less disturbed by your bedmate’s movements on this mattress.
- If you’re a heavy sleeper (over 250 lbs) the more supportive WinkBed is the best choice.
- If you’re on a budget the significantly cheaper Casper mattress is the way to go.
WinkBed and Casper Mattress Feel Comparison
Alright, let’s dive into how these mattresses feel! I run several tests to explore this question, most notably my firmness test. The test is scored on a scale from 1 (super soft) to 10 (extra-hard), with 6.5 being the industry standard for medium firmness. Of course, this range is a bit subjective, because everyone perceives firmness a little differently based on their body weight, personal preferences, and so on. The scores below reflect my personal impressions of these beds.
The WinkBed comes in three firmness levels, which I range from around a 5 to a 7.5 out of 10 on the mattress firmness scale. The Luxury Firm WinkBed is the brand’s medium firmness option, and it was designed to appeal to the broadest segment of sleepers. I gave this bed a 7 out 0f 10 on the firmness scale, which means it’s just a touch firmer than medium-firm.
In my opinion, the WinkBed offers a nice mixture of support and comfort: I enjoyed some nice pressure relief as I sank into its pillow top, but never felt stuck thanks to the lift of its pocketed coil layer. I especially like this feel for combination sleepers who need a responsive mattress to make changing positions at night easy.
I also enjoyed this bed’s zoned support system, which both elevated my hips into a nice even line with my shoulders and helped to cushion my shoulders against too much pressure. This feel could be especially nice for back and stomach sleepers. And this supportive bed could be a nice solution if you struggle with back pain.
While you might expect an all-foam bed to have an extra-soft feel, I actually ranked the Casper around a 7 out of 10, or just a hair firmer than medium firm. This firmness reflects the support it offers in multiple positions. Like the WinkBed, this firm mattress felt fairly responsive. But, it definitely had less of a springy feel than the hybrid WinkBed mattress.
Back sleepers should find that the Casper’s zoned support system promotes a neutral spinal alignment, while its memory foam contour layer offers some satisfying relief at the lumbar region. If you enjoy the feel of softer foams filling in your lower back area, I’d recommend opting for the Casper mattress.
I also think side sleepers who don’t mind a firmer feel could really like this bed. Its zoned support system helps relieve pressure at the shoulders while elevating the hips. This is a great way to promote a healthy spinal alignment in side sleepers, who can struggle with back pain when their mattress doesn’t allow their shoulders to sink in far enough. The Casper’s shoulder area offers a little more sinkage than the WinkBed’s, which is something these sleepers should consider.
Comparing WinkBed and Casper Prices
Price is a huge consideration when buying a new mattress. The Casper is cheaper than the WinkBed, but you can save on both mattresses by visiting our Casper mattress coupon or WinkBeds mattress coupon pages.
Take a look at side-by-side pricing information in the chart below. Keep in mind that prices listed are before any discount or offer on each size.
Comparing WinkBed and Casper Mattress Materials
To give you an even better idea of how these mattresses compare, I’m going to break down each bed’s construction layer-by-layer. Read on below to see what really makes these beds tick!
Cover — The first layer you’ll encounter on the WinkBed is a Tencel cover. Tencel is a natural material that’s known for being breathable, and it helps this mattress sleep cool.
Euro-Pillow Top — Next up is a pillow top layer made of soft, gel-infused foam that offers some cushioning around your pressure points. The gel infusion here helps to dissipate some body heat across the structure.
Support Layer — Finally, you’ll find a pocketed coil support system. It has a bit of a traditional innerspring feel, but uses individually wrapped steel coils to cut down on motion transfer. This coil construction is zoned into seven sections that offer different levels of firmness and pressure relief at different contact points on the body.
Cover — First up is a polyester cover. It’s on the thin side and offers a cozy feel.
Comfort Layer — Next you’ll find a comfort layer made of soft, open-cell foam that lets you sink into the mattress for some pressure relief. The open-cell construction helps the mattress “breathe” and sleep a little cooler. It also offers some nice motion isolation, which is a perk for couples.
Contour Layer — Below the foam comfort layer, you’ll find even more foam! A contour layer made of high-quality memory foam offers some more sinkage for deep body-contouring and pressure relief.
Transition Layer — Beneath the memory foam is (you guessed it!) more foam. This time, it’s a poly foam layer with a zoned construction. It’s softer at the shoulders and firmer at the hips, which is great for side sleeping pressure relief and spinal alignment. While the WinkBed’s zoned construction features seven sections in the pocketed coil layer, the Casper’s zoned support system consists of two sections made from poly foam.
Base Layer — Finally, you’ll find a layer of high-density polyfoam at the base of the mattress. This layer offers firm support for the layers above it.
We’ve covered the construction, firmness, and feel of both of these beds, and we’re nearly to the end of our WinkBed vs Casper comparison! Now just one question remains: Which mattress is the one for you? I can’t answer that for you, but the section below should help you with your decision!
WinkBed Best Features
- The WinkBed offers plenty of bounce. It should appeal to folks who like an innerspring mattress feel as well as to combination sleepers, who need some bounce in order to easily switch positions.
- Those looking for a supportive bed-in-a-box mattress might also like the WinkBed. Its strong coil support should offer a range of sleepers of different body weights the support they need to feel comfortable.
- The WinkBed is a very durable mattress, which is great news for anyone looking to make a long-lasting mattress purchase. It also has great edge support, which means you’ll be supported all the way on the sides of this bed (which adds to overall durability).
Casper Best Features
- Fans of a balanced foam feel might like the original Casper, which does a great job balancing pressure relief and support.
- Budget shoppers should appreciate that affordable price point the Casper is offered at!
- If you struggle with back pain, the Casper’s zoned support system could help you find some relief.
Comparing Company Policies
- Trial Period — 120 Nights
- Shipping — Free
- Mattress Warranty — Lifetime
- Trial Period — 100 Nights
- Shipping — Free
- Mattress Warranty — 10 Years
Comparing WinkBeds and Casper Customer Service
Customer service can be a big concern when you’re buying from an online mattress brand. To help ease your mind, I tested out both companies’ customer service teams. Below, I give them one of four ratings: Stellar, Great, Satisfactory, or Poor.
WinkBeds Sleepopolis Customer Service Rating
Great: I asked a question in WinkBeds’ chat function and quickly received a thoughtful answer. There was a brief wait while I was paired with an agent, but I’ve waited much longer for other mattress brands’ customer service teams to get back to me.
Casper Sleepopolis Customer Service Rating
Stellar: I had a great experience with Casper’s team. I was paired with an agent right away on the website’s chat function, and when I called Casper’s help line I was also paired with a person immediately. Both agents were very helpful.
Comparing Other Models from WinkBeds and Casper
While I’ve focused this comparison on the flagship WinkBed and original Casper mattresses, it’s worth noting that both brands offer several other models. Comparing the original mattresses to other versions helps illuminate the characteristics of each bed, so I’ve given an overview of a few other models below!
- This mattress was specifically designed to accommodate the needs of heavier folks. It features a similar hybrid structure as the original WinkBed but offers more (and firmer!) support.
- While the original WinkBed has some nice bounce, the WinkBed Plus really takes the buoyancy up a notch. It uses latex foam and coils, which lend plenty of buoyancy to the bed and make it easy to change positions.
- Several components in this mattress work to help sleepers stay cool. These include latex (which is naturally cooling) and individually wrapped coils, which allow for airflow through the bed.
- Read the full WinkBed Plus mattress review.
- Like the original WinkBed, the EcoCloud is a bed-in-a-box hybrid. But instead of using Tencel and foam, it incorporates natural latex and cotton.
- As the name suggests, the EcoCloud is designed with eco-friendliness in mind. It features an organic cotton cover and natural Talalay Latex.
- The EcoCloud is super bouncy, so it might appeal to combination sleepers who need to change positions easily throughout the night.
- Read the full WinkBeds EcoCloud mattress review.
- While the original WinkBed features a hybrid construction and pocketed coils, the GravityLux is an all-foam, bed-in-a-box mattress. It features several layers of memory foam on top of firmer poly foam.
- Because it includes so much memory foam, the GravityLux offers nice body-contouring and pressure relief.
- This bed might appeal to side sleepers who want pressure relief around the shoulders or hips.
- Read the full WinkBeds GravityLux review.
- Think of the Casper Element as the value version of the original Casper. It features an all-foam, bed-in-a-box construction with a firm feel.
- Due to the firmness of the Casper Element, it’s probably best for back and stomach sleepers, who need plenty of support to keep their hips from bowing into the mattress.
- Side sleepers should stick to the original Casper or an even softer mattress option.
- Read the full Casper Element mattress review.
Casper Wave Hybrid
- If the Casper Essential is the Casper’s little cousin, the Wave Hybrid is like the original Casper’s ritzy aunt. It offers a plush feel, quality materials, and a luxury price tag.
- The soft feel of the Wave Hybrid makes it a nice choice for side sleepers, who might appreciate its pressure-relieving foams.
- Heavy people (over 250 lbs) should get the support they need from this hybrid mattress.
- Read the Casper Wave Hybrid mattress review for more information.
Other Common WinkBeds and Casper Comparisons
Still sure which bed to replace your old mattress with? Take a look at a few other comparisons below to see how these mattresses stack up against other popular online mattress options.
- Casper vs Helix
- Casper vs Leesa
- Casper vs Purple
- Casper vs DreamCloud
- Casper vs Endy
- Casper vs Nectar
- Casper vs Lull
- Casper vs Puffy
- Casper vs Layla
- Casper vs Brooklyn Bedding
- Casper vs Saatva
- Casper vs GhostBed
Latest posts by Logan Block (see all)
- 25 Days of Giving 2020 – Dreamfoam Mattress Giveaway! - December 25, 2020
- 25 Days of Giving 2020 – Saatva Mattress Giveaway! - December 24, 2020