On the hunt for the best Murphy beds on the market and want to know which ones are top rated? Lucky for you, we’ve rounded up some of the most popular ones. From the best overall to the best luxury model, we’ve analyzed all the reviews so you’re armed with the knowledge you need to decide which is the best Murphy bed for you.
But before we dive into the specifics, you may be wondering what the heck is a Murphy bed? Essentially, it’s a pull-down bed that can be transformed into a cabinet and stowed away when not in use so you can maximize your living space. If you live in a city where rents are sky high but apartment space is hard to come by, it could be just what you need.
Does a Murphy bed sound like something that could give you a little extra room to breathe? If so, let’s dive into our top picks and figure out which Murphy bed is right for you.
Best Murphy Beds 2024
- Night & Day Furniture Murphy Cube Cabinet Bed – Best Overall
- AFI Furnishings Monroe Murphy Bed – Best With Storage
- Bestar Pur Full Murphy Bed – Best Vertical
- Signature Sleep Murphy Wall Bed – Best Traditional
- AFI Furnishings Hamilton Murphy Bed – Best Luxury
- Bestar Cielo Collection Murphy Bed – Best With Lights
- Mjkone Murphy Bed – Best Modern
- Pemberly Row Murphy Bed – Best Space-Saving
Best Overall – Night & Day Furniture Murphy Cube Bed
Night & Day Murphy Cube Bed
The Night & Day Murphy Cube Bed only takes up 10 square feet of space. Customers also rated it high in several areas, including sturdiness, value, and ease of assembly.
4.70 / 5Read Full Review
This Murphy bed is a true space saver. When tucked away in the cabinet, it only takes up 10 square feet of space. Customers say it’s easy to assemble (or you can pay an extra fee for it to be preassembled) and the cabinet comes in an array of wood finishes so you can select which complements the aesthetic of your interior decor the best. Another plus is that the solid hardwood construction makes this bed a strong, durable option, but it’s lightweight enough to move around with ease. We like that it combines comfort, style, and quality, making the Night & Day Furniture Murphy Cube Bed our top choice overall.
Who the Night & Day Furniture Murphy Cube Bed Is Best For
- Sleepers limited on space: If you have small living quarters and want to maximize your space, the Night & Day Furniture Murphy Cube Bed could be for you.
- Value shoppers: While the price tag may be a bit high for those on a tight budget, many customers note this Murphy bed is a quality design and provides good value for the money.
- Sleepers who prefer a low-profile bed: This Murphy bed sits low to the ground, so it’s an ideal choice for those who prefer a low profile.
Who Should Avoid the Night & Day Furniture Murphy Cube Bed
- Heavy sleepers: This Murphy bed may not provide enough support for heavy sleepers who weigh 250 pounds or more.
- Sleepers who prefer a high-profile bed: If you like a bed with more height, this Murphy bed may not be the one for you.
Does it sound like the Night & Day Furniture Murphy Cube Bed could be your dream come true? If so, click here to get the best deal.
Best With Storage – AFI Furnishings Monroe Murphy Bed
AFI Furnishings Monroe Murphy Bed
The AFI Furnishings Monroe Murphy Bed delivers on the extras. In addition to the storage drawer, this Murphy bed comes with a charging station and CoolSoft gel-infused memory foam mattress.
3.80 / 5Read Full Review
The AFI Furnishings Monroe Murphy Bed delivers on the extras. In addition to the storage drawer, this Murphy bed comes with a charging station and CoolSoft gel-infused memory foam mattress. We like the functionality of this bed’s design, but keep in mind that it is a little on the heavier side.
Who the AFI Furnishings Monroe Murphy Bed Is Best For
- Heavy sleepers: With a maximum weight of 800 pounds, this Murphy bed provides sufficient support for heavier sleepers.
- Hot sleepers: The CoolSoft memory foam mattress that comes with this Murphy bed should help hot sleepers feel cooler.
- Sleepers who want extra storage: Want a place to tuck away extra pillows and blankets? The drawer at the bed’s base will give you extra storage space.
Who Should Avoid the AFI Furnishings Monroe Murphy Bed
- Budget shoppers: If you’re on a tight budget, you may want to search for a more affordable option.
- Shoppers who prefer a simpler option: If the charging station and extra storage space aren’t something you really need, you may want to opt for something else.
Does the AFI Furnishings Monroe Murphy Bed sound like it’s the perfect fit for you? If so, click here to find the best deal.
Best Vertical – Bestar Pur Full Murphy Bed
Bestar Pur Full Murphy Bed
The Bestar Pur Full Murphy Bed uses flexible slats to mold to your body’s curves and absorb pressure for optimal comfort. The dual-mount mechanism makes this bed a stable, durable option.Read Full Review
We like that this bed uses flexible slats to mold to your body’s curves and absorb pressure for optimal comfort. The dual-mount mechanism makes this bed a stable, durable option.
The bed is installed to the wall and floor, but heads up — this bed requires professional assembly. And since this is a vertical bed, you’ll need a minimum ceiling height of 86.4 inches.
Who the Bestar Pur Full Murphy Bed Is Best For
- Heavy sleepers: The bed can support up to 1,000 pounds, making it an ideal option for heavy sleepers.
- Couples: Since the bed is supportive, couples will also benefit from it.
- Hot sleepers: Since bed slats promote airflow, they’ll help hot sleepers sleep cooler.
Who Should Avoid the Bestar Pur Full Murphy Bed
- Do-it-yourself (DIY) shoppers: Since this bed requires professional assembly, it may not be the best option for DIY shoppers.
- Sleepers who prefer a firm surface: This bed features flexible slats that yield to your body’s curves, so it may not be the best option for sleepers who prefer a firmer sleeping surface.
Does the Bestar Pur Full Murphy Bed sound like it was made for you? If so, click here for the best deal.
Best Traditional – Signature Sleep Murphy Wall Bed
Signature Sleep Murphy Wall Bed
The Signature Sleep Murphy Wall Bed features support slats, which work well for most sleepers. The bed does not come with a mattress included, so you can use your own.
4.30 / 5Read Full Review
The Signature Sleep Murphy Wall Bed features support slats, which work well for most sleepers. The bed does not come with a mattress included, so you can use your own. We like that the metal bed frame helps prevent your mattress from sagging, which is typically a major downside of bed slats.
If you’re planning to use your Murphy bed in a guest room, this could be an ideal choice since slats are versatile and accommodate most mattress and sleeper types.
Who the Signature Sleep Murphy Wall Bed Is Best For
- Traditional style enthusiasts: If you’re a fan of more traditional styles, the Signature Sleep Murphy Wall Bed could be a good choice for you.
- Hot sleepers: Bed slats promote airflow, so they can help hot sleepers stay cool.
- Budget shoppers: If you’re looking for a traditional Murphy bed that’s also easy on your wallet, this bed may deliver just what you need.
Who Should Avoid the Signature Sleep Murphy Wall Bed
- Sleepers who need more support: Since loose bed slats may shift or slide with time, sleepers looking for more support may want to opt for another foundation type.
- Shoppers who want storage: If you want a bed that has space to store bedding, you may want to opt for one of the other Murphy beds on our list, like our next option.
Think the Signature Sleep Murphy Bed could be the right one for you? If so, click here to land the best deal.
Best Luxury – AFI Furnishings Hamilton Murphy Bed
AFI Furnishings Hamilton Murphy Bed
We love that the AFI Furnishings Hamilton Murphy Bed has almost everything you could need, including storage, a charging station, and a mattress.
3.90 / 5Read Full Review
We love that the AFI Furnishings Hamilton Murphy Bed has almost everything you could need. Storage? Check. Charging station? Check. Mattress included? Check. If you want it all, this may be just the Murphy bed for you.
Who the AFI Furnishings Hamilton Murphy Bed Is Best For
- Memory foam lovers: Sleepers who enjoy memory foam mattresses should appreciate that this bed comes equipped with a CoolSoft folding premium memory foam mattress.
- Hot sleepers: While memory foam can retain heat, this mattress is made from gel-infused memory foam that has a cooling benefit to it.
- Heavy sleepers: With a maximum capacity of 800 pounds, this bed could be a good choice for heavier sleepers.
Who Should Avoid the AFI Furnishings Hamilton Murphy Bed
- Budget shoppers: Luxury isn’t for everybody so if you’re looking for a more affordable option, a simpler style may suit you better.
- Sleepers who prefer an open feel: The head of this bed is enclosed on both sides, so it may feel too restrictive for some sleepers.
Is the AFI Furnishings Hamilton Murphy Bed just what you need? If so, click here to uncover the best deal.
Best With Lights – Bestar Cielo Collection Murphy Bed
Bestar Cielo Collection Murphy Bed
The overhead lighting gives the Bestar Cielo Collection Murphy bed a contemporary look and feel. We also like that the flexible slats follow the curves of the body and alleviate pressure for optimal sleeping comfort.
3.90 / 5Read Full Review
The overhead lighting gives this bed a contemporary look and feel. We also like that the flexible slats follow the curves of the body and alleviate pressure for optimal sleeping comfort. You can also leave the bedding on when you fold up the bed — a major convenience factor. Just be sure to remove the pillows beforehand. It can also accommodate most standard queen mattresses, up to 12 inches thick.
Who the Bestar Cielo Collection Murphy Bed Is Best For
- Night readers: This bed was made for sleepers who like to read a few chapters before turning in for the night; the overhead lighting means you won’t have to put down a page turner before crawling into bed.
- Hot sleepers: Since bed slats promote airflow, this bed could help hot sleepers feel more comfortable.
- Different sleeping positions: The slatted foundation will work well with most mattress types, so you don’t have to use a bed that doesn’t work for your sleeping position.
Who Should Avoid the Bestar Cielo Collection Murphy Bed
- Sleepers with preference for an open feel: Some sleepers may feel a bit closed in since the head of the bed is bordered by the cabinet on both sides.
- Traditional style enthusiasts: This bed has a contemporary design with built-in LED lights, so it may not have the right aesthetic for fans of a more traditional look and feel.
Think the Bestar Cielo Collection Murphy Bed lights up your world? If so, click here to snag the best deal.
Best Modern – Mjkone Murphy Bed
Mjkone Murphy Bed
We like that this bed comes equipped with all the extras — storage options, charging station, and a folding memory foam mattress — but without the extra hefty price tag.
3.20 / 5Read Full Review
We like that this bed comes equipped with all the extras — storage options, charging station, and a folding memory foam mattress — but without the extra hefty price tag. The poplar wooden frame provides a sturdy, durable structure while the mobile wheels make this bed easy to slide in and out.
Who the Mjkone Murphy Bed Is Best For
- Value shoppers: If you want all the extras at an affordable price, this bed could be just what you need.
- Memory foam lovers: This bed comes with a memory foam mattress.
- Couples: Memory foam mattresses can isolate motion transfer, so it could be especially good for those who sleep with a restless partner.
Who Should Avoid the Mjkone Murphy Bed
- Sleepers who want firmer support: Memory foam mattresses have a high level of sinkage, so this bed may not be the best choice for those who prefer a firmer surface.
- Bed tossers: Memory foam can feel restrictive to those who enjoy moving around in their sleep; it also offers little to no bounce.
Does the Mjkone Murphy Bed sound like it has everything you could need? If so, click here to reveal the best deal.
Best Space-Saving – Pemberly Row Murphy Bed
Pemberly Row Murphy Bed
We like that this bed is sturdy and offers great value for the price point. It also comes with a EuroSlat mattress support system designed to maximize sleeper comfort.
4.40 / 5Read Full Review
We like that this bed is sturdy and offers great value for the price point. It also comes with a EuroSlat mattress support system designed to maximize sleeper comfort. We believe this bed offers the perfect combination of durability and comfortability, making it our top choice for your best space-saving option.
Who the Pemberly Row Murphy Bed Is Best For
- Heavy sleepers: With a maximum capacity of 1,000 pounds, this bed could be a good choice for heavyweight sleepers.
- Back, side, and stomach sleepers: Bed slats work well with almost any type of mattress, so you can add the one that fits your preferred sleeping position.
- Hot sleepers: Bed slats promote great airflow, so they can help hot sleepers feel cooler.
Who Should Avoid the Pemberly Row Murphy Bed
- DIY shoppers: This Murphy bed requires assembly by a professional or qualified person, so if you prefer to assemble your own bed, you may want to find another option.
- Sleepers who want more support: Since bed slats can sometimes cause mattresses to sag, this may not be the best choice for sleepers looking for firmer support.
Think the Pemberly Row Murphy Bed has everything you could possibly want or need? If so, click here for the very best deal.
What to Look for In A Murphy Bed
There’s a good deal to keep in mind when choosing the right Murphy bed for you. For starters, are you planning to use the bed for yourself or in a guest room? If the bed is for you, then you’ll want to tailor it to your individual sleeping needs and preferences. On the other hand, if you plan on using the Murphy bed for guests, you’ll likely want to find something more versatile that works well for most anyone.
When selecting the right Murphy bed for you, there are a number of factors you should take into account. For instance, how much space do you have? Do you prefer a Murphy bed mounted to the wall or one that can be stored in a stand-alone cabinet?
While there is much to consider, we’ll walk you through it all so you can make the most informed decision possible. Here are some of the things to keep in mind before making your final selection.
When thinking about the right size bed, you usually only have to think about whether you want a full, queen, or king size. But since many people want to buy a Murphy bed because of limited space, you’ll need to take into account the dimensions of the bed as well.
Be sure to measure out your room before you shop for your Murphy bed. If you have high ceilings, you may want to opt for a vertical Murphy bed. On the other hand, if you have low ceilings or want to save on vertical space, then a cabinet bed that sits on the ground may be your best bet.
Be sure to measure the width, length, and height you’ll need. Then check the bed’s measurements, both for when it is stored away as well as when it is unfolded.
Style & Material
Just like any other bed, Murphy beds come in a variety of styles. Think about what style best suits you: modern, contemporary, or traditional?
Murphy beds are also made from a variety of materials. For instance, some are designed with a solid wood finish while others are made from particleboard. If you prefer a finish with a more luxury feel, solid wood may suit your style preferences best. On the other hand, if functionality or affordability are priorities over aesthetic, then particleboard may suit you better.
In addition to solid wood and particleboard, Murphy bed frames may also be made from metal, plywood, or medium-density fiberboard (MDF). Metal and solid wood are the stronger and more durable options, whereas plywood and particleboard tend to be more affordable. MDF is similar to particleboard, but slightly stronger and more durable.
On another note — some Murphy beds feature piston lifts while others come with torsion springs. Piston lifts are more advanced — they’re typically quiet, long-lasting, and require little maintenance — whereas torsion springs may squeak after some time and usually have to be tightened once every several years.
One more thing to consider — check to see whether a mattress is included and if so, which type. For instance, some people love memory foam mattresses, while others do not. So think about whether you want to purchase a Murphy bed that comes with or without a mattress included.
Being able to store bedding and extra pillows and blankets inside the bed is convenient and a priority for some. Think about whether this is a feature you would really like to have or something you can do without.
If you decide you want a Murphy bed with storage space, compare storage options. For instance, some come with one large drawer while others come with several smaller drawers for dividing different types of bedding.
Keep in mind that if you opt for a Murphy bed without storage, you’ll need to find a place to store your extra bedding. While Murphy beds can typically be folded up with a bed sheet, you’ll usually need to remove larger items, such as pillows and comforters, before stowing the bed away.
The type of installation required is another factor to consider. You can set some Murphy beds up on your own, while others require professional assembly. Bear in mind that even Murphy beds that you can assemble on your own often require at least two people for the setup.
If you’re doing your own installation, it’s a good idea to check customer reviews to see how people rated the bed in terms of ease of assembly. Some Murphy beds can be put together in less than two hours, while other beds may require several hours of labor.
You should also take into account the weight of the bed and how easy it will be to lift/maneuver. If you find that the assembly appears too difficult and you want to avoid the time and energy required to put it together, you may want to opt for a Murphy bed that comes mostly or fully preassembled instead.
Most Murphy beds will need to be mounted to the wall, though there are floor-mounted options as well. Mounting the bed to the wall helps to prevent it from falling down while you’re pulling it out. Some Murphy beds also come with a dual-mount mechanism that enables you to secure the bed to both the wall and floor, for maximum stability.
Some Murphy beds may also come with a locking mechanism. If yours does not, you can purchase one for additional peace of mind. This will secure the bed in place when it’s stored away and prevent it from accidentally falling open.
Pros and Cons of Having a Murphy Bed
There are various pros and cons of having a Murphy bed. Let’s touch on them below.
Pros of Murphy Beds
- More floor space: When folded, a Murphy bed tends to be no bigger than a standard bookcase, which allows you to use the remaining floor space as you like.
- Storage solution: Some Murphy bed frames include storage units on each side of the bed or feature a roomy cabinet at the bottom. If you’re buying a wall bed for a small room, having extra storage space may help you avoid clutter and save even more space.
- As comfortable as a standard bed: Mattress foundations in wall beds are pretty much the same as in regular beds, so they can offer decent support for your mattress and ensure comfortable sleep for you.
Cons of Murphy Beds
- It might not fit all rooms: Potential limitations include low ceilings and narrow rooms. Still, you can get a freestanding Murphy bed that converts into a small cabinet and can be easily moved around the room.
- You may have to drill the walls: While it’s not a problem if you own the house, for those who rent an apartment, this might be an issue.
- They’re not always budget-friendly options: The average price of a quality Murphy bed is around $1,500, but some models can be as expensive as $5,000. However, you can find some that are less expensive, but they may suffer in quality.
What is the difference between a wall bed and a Murphy bed?
The terms are interchangeable and are used to refer to a bed that can be stored against and secured to a wall. But not all Murphy beds are necessarily wall beds. Some options can be mounted to the floor instead.
Does a regular mattress fit in a Murphy bed?
Yes, most regular mattresses can fit in a Murphy bed. But you’ll need to check manufacturer specifications for the maximum allowable weight and mattress thickness.
What is the life expectancy of a Murphy bed?
A Murphy bed’s life expectancy may vary depending on the materials it is made from and how often it’s used. Generally speaking, though, you can expect a well-maintained Murphy bed to last around 15 years or more.
What type of mattress is recommended for a Murphy bed?
You can use most any type of mattress with a Murphy bed, but be sure to check the bed’s manufacturer specifications for restrictions on weight and mattress thickness. Some Murphy beds come with a mattress already included. So if yours does, check the mattress type to see if it will suit your needs, and customer reviews to see whether others found it comfortable.
How big is a Murphy bed?
Most Murphy beds are equal in size to a standard mattress. Note, though, that you might need additional space — at least seven to 10 inches — to mount the bed to the wall.
Best Murphy Beds 2024
|Night & Day Furniture Murphy Bed
|AFI Furnishings Monroe Murphy Bed
|Best with Storage
|Bestar Pur Full Murphy Bed
|Signature Sleep Murphy Wall Bed
|AFI Furnishings Hamilton Murphy Bed
|Bestar Cielo Collection Murphy Bed
|Best with Lights
|Mjkone Murphy Bed
|Pemberly Row Murphy Bed
Former Senior Product Editor
Bridget is a Certified Sleep Science Coach and senior editor here at Sleepopolis. From testing mattresses to writing about various sleep health topics, her goal is to help you get a good night’s sleep. You can also find her in videos on our YouTube channel. Bridget graduated magna cum laude from San Diego State University with a degree in journalism and a minor in English. Before joining the Sleepopolis team, she was a TV news reporter and worked in cities across the country. She loves spending time outdoors, checking out new restaurants, snuggling with her pets, and of course — getting some quality Zzz’s.