Euro pillows (otherwise known as Euro sham pillows) are decorative, square pillows that are usually placed on a bed behind sleeping pillows. The traditional size for a Euro pillow is 26 X 26 inches, but some retailers also sell them in smaller sizes. These versatile pillow inserts can be stuffed into a pillow sham that adds a pop of color to your bedroom and/or ties together your bedroom decor. They also offer extra support when you want to prop yourself up in bed for reading, doing the crossword, and so on.
To find the best Euro pillows for your needs, think about your preferences when it comes to sizing, materials (e.g. polyester versus feather/down filling), and weight (i.e., do you like a hefty, overstuffed pillow or a fluffy, lightweight one?). Then check out our roundup of some of the best Euro sham pillows around.
Pillowflex Synthetic Down Pillow Insert
- The pillow comes in tons of sizes, so you can customize it to your pillow sham and aesthetic preferences.
- It has a nice heft to it, is well filled with down, and does a good job of retaining its shape.
- The pillow is machine-washable and dryer-friendly.
- It’s made in the USA from American fibers and an American-made shell.
- Some users have reported the pillows aren’t always exactly true to size.
- The pillows are slightly undersized, so you might need to order a size up to match your sham. (For instance, the 26 X 26 inch pillow is recommended for use in a 24 X 24 inch sham.)
The hefty Pillowflex Synthetic Down Pillow Insert is supportive and does a great job retaining its shape. The pillow is made in the USA and comes in tons of sizes.
EDOW Throw Pillow Insert
- While many Euro pillows are sold individually, these come in a pack of two.
- The pillows are machine-washable (hang dry).
- They’re available in eight Euro sizes, so you can customize the size to your decor.
- The manufacturer says the pillows are free of mercury, lead, and other heavy metals.
- The pillows are fairly soft and compress easily, so they don’t offer a ton of support.
- You’ll probably need to order a size larger than your sham to create the right fit.
The EDOW Throw Pillow Insert comes in a set of two, so it offers great value for the price. The pillows are available in eight sizes and are machine-washable.
HOMESJUN Decorative Throw Pillow Insert
- The pillow is filled with 95% feathers and 5% down. The filling is wrapped in a 100% cotton cover.
- The pillows are sold in sets of two instead of individually.
- They’re machine-washable and dryer-friendly.
- The pillow comes in seven sizes, so you can tailor it to your sham and aesthetic preferences.
- Because they contain down, the pillows might have a smell to them when they first arrive.
- The feathers are prone to “leaking” out of the pillow over time.
A combination of feathers and down fills the HOMESJUN Decorative Pillow Insert, which features a 100% cotton cover. The pillows are sold in sets of two and are machine-washable.
RECCI Euro Pillow
- The pillows are filled with a material called “Breeze Fiber,” which is meant to be fluffy and supportive. You can adjust the amount of filling inside each pillow to suit your comfort preferences.
- The pillows come stuffed with tons of filling, so they offer a fair amount of support and cushioning.
- They’re machine-washable and dryer-friendly.
- The Breeze Fiber has a slow rebound, so it does a decent job of contouring to your body and relieving pressure points.
- The pillow only comes in one size (26 X 26 inches), which might not suit everyone’s needs.
- You might need to re-fluff the pillow on a regular basis to help it retain its fluffiness.
A unique filling makes the RECCI Euro Pillow fluffy, pressure-relieving, and supportive. You can adjust the amount of filling to suit your comfort preferences.
Cozy Bed European Sleep Pillow
- The pillows come in a set of two and at a significantly lower price than many other options.
- They’re soft and fluffy, so they do a good job of filling out a sham. (They’re lightweight, though, not hefty.)
- The pillows are machine-washable.
- They’re made in the USA.
- If you like the feel of a hefty, overstuffed pillow, these won’t be satisfying. They’re fluffy but not heavy or super filled.
- Some users have reported that the pillows might not be exactly true to size.
Get two Euro pillows for a great price with the Cozy Bed European Sleep Pillow. The pillows are machine-washable and made in the USA.
How We Picked
When you first start researching Euro pillows, you’ll find yourself awash in a sea of white squares. Sussing out what distinguishes one of these from another can take some time. Here’s the criteria that we used to do just that.
Ease of Care
Because throw pillows might be subject to food or beverage spills, tossed on the floor, and so on, they should be cleaned semi-regularly. Each of these pillows is machine-washable to ensure easy at-home care.
Different Euro pillows are filled with different materials, and you might want one over the other depending on allergies, feel preferences, and so on. This list includes options that are stuffed with polyester, feather/down, and a unique, hypoallergenic material called “Breeze Fiber.” There should be an option for pretty much everyone.
Some people like their Euro pillows to be overstuffed, while others prefer a softer, lighter-weight feeling. We included options from both sides of that spectrum (and in between) so you can choose according to your preferences.
The traditional size for a Euro pillow is 26 X 26 inches, but they can also come in smaller sizes starting around 10 X 10 inches. But not all pillows are available in all of these sizes. This list features options that cover that whole spectrum of sizes, so there should be something to fit every sham.
Sleepopolis Buying Tips
Not sure how to choose the best Euro pillows for your needs? Consider the following:
- How many pillows do you need? Some Euro pillows are sold individually, while others come in a set of two. If you’re looking to stock up on pillows, you’ll find the sets of two are generally more cost-effective.
- What are your preferences when it comes to materials? If you have allergies, you’ll probably want to avoid down. Or maybe you love the feel of polyester. Maybe it’s important to you that a cover be 100% cotton, or maybe you don’t care. Knowing your materials preferences is a quick way to filter through options.
- Do you like a lightweight pillow, or a hefty one? This is a major distinguishing factor among Euro pillows. If you prefer an overstuffed, heavy pillow or a soft, lightweight one, that will help guide your search and eliminate a number of options.
No matter whether you’re looking for extra support while reading in bed or you’re wanting to upgrade your bedroom decor, Euro pillows have got you covered. To find the right one for you, think about your preferences when it comes to materials, weight, size, and so on. Before you know it, you’ll be sitting (or reclining) pretty.