Leg positioner pillows can take several forms and serve a variety of purposes. Perhaps the most popular variety are between-the-leg pillows that help maintain healthy leg, hip, and spinal alignment while side sleeping. Leg pillows could also be in the form of a wedge that elevates both legs simultaneously while lying on one’s back, or single- or double-leg pillows that help elevate a leg(s) after an injury or surgery.
Depending on the type of leg pillow and the person involved, it’s possible that leg positioner pillows could help relieve joint pressure, hip or knee pain, or sciatica. Some pregnant people also find them useful for getting comfortable at night. Ready to find the best leg positioner pillow for your needs? Then check out our comprehensive roundup!
EnerPlex Memory Foam Knee Pillow
- The pillow features an ergonomic design that’s meant to keep the legs, hips, and back properly aligned while side sleeping.
- The pillow is made with 100% memory foam that’s CertiPUR-US certified, meaning it’s free of certain harmful chemicals.
- The cover is removable and machine-washable, so it’s easy to clean at home.
- This is a relatively budget-friendly leg positioner pillow.
One possible con? The pillow might arrive with an unpleasant odor, and it could take a few days to off-gas. You could also wash the cover as soon as it arrives.
The ergonomic EnerPlex Memory Foam Knee Pillow is made with CertiPUR-US certified memory foam and is relatively budget-friendly. It has a removable cover that’s machine-washable for easy at-home care.
Everlasting Comfort Memory Foam Knee Pillow
- The pillow is designed to keep the hips, legs, and spine ergonomically aligned while side sleeping.
- The removable and adjustable strap helps hold the pillow between your legs even if you toss and turn in your sleep.
- The pillow is made from 100% memory foam, so it conforms a bit to the shape of your body.
- This is a relatively budget-friendly leg pillow.
One con? The pillow arrives compressed and might take some time to regain its intended shape.
The budget-friendly Everlasting Comfort Memory Foam Knee Pillow features a unique strap design that helps hold the pillow between your legs even if you shift around in your sleep. It’s made from memory foam that conforms a bit to your legs.
Best Single Leg Elevator
Milliard Foam Leg Elevator Cushion
- This leg elevator is ideal for using after an injury or surgery on one leg, because it elevates the leg to aid healing and pain relief.
- The concave leg “channel” helps hold your leg in place even once you’ve fallen asleep.
- The channel should be large enough to accommodate a leg cast.
- The velour cover is soft to the touch. It’s also removable and machine-washable.
- The pillow arrives compressed and can take up to 48 hours to fully expand, so it might not be functional on short notice.
- If you’re a side sleeper, you might find that the pillow prevents you from sleeping in this position because of the angle at which it holds your leg.
If you’re recovering from an injury or surgery on one leg, consider the Milliard Foam Leg Elevator Cushion. It features a large channel that’s covered in soft velour and helps hold a leg in place during sleep.
EBUNG Leg Elevation Pillow
- The wedge design is wide enough to let you elevate both legs while lying on your back.
- The pillow is made from high-density foam that should do a good job of maintaining its shape over the long-term. The top layer is made from memory foam, which conforms a bit to the shape of your legs.
- The pillow can be used to elevate your legs while lounging, after surgery, during pregnancy, and so on.
- The cover is removable and machine-washable.
- Shorter people might find the pillow is too high for them to rest comfortably.
- The pillow might arrive with an unpleasant odor that could need to off-gas for a bit.
Back sleepers or loungers who want to elevate their legs should feel right at home on the EBUNG Leg Elevation Pillow. The wedge design lets you elevate both legs, while the high-density foam should hold up well.
ComfiLife Orthopedic Knee Pillow
- This is a very budget-friendly leg positioner pillow.
- The ergonomically designed pillow sits between your knees and helps maintain healthy spinal alignment during sleep.
- It’s made from 100% high-density memory foam, which offers some body contouring.
- The cover is breathable, removable, and machine-washable.
- Shorter or more petite folks might find the pillow feels a little too big.
- The pillow could start to flatten with extended use.
The bargain ComfiLife Orthopedic Knee Pillow is ergonomically designed to help maintain healthy spinal alignment while side sleeping. The breathable cover is removable and machine-washable.
How We Picked
Since there are so many types and brands of leg pillows, it can be challenging to narrow in on the best options. Here are the primary factors that we considered while putting together this roundup.
Since leg positioner pillows are likely to share your bed with you, you’ll probably want to keep them clean. For this reason, we prioritized options that are easy to clean at home — for example, via a removable and machine-washable cover.
Leg pillows can serve a lot of functions, and we wanted to represent all of those options on this list. You’ll find several options that are designed to maintain healthy spine and low-body alignment while side sleeping, as well as leg positioner pillows that are designed to elevate both legs while back sleeping or elevate one or both legs after an injury or surgery. Bottom line? There should be a leg positioner pillow for every desired function on this list.
When it comes to leg positioner pillows, the materials involved should accomplish two things: They need to be soft enough to maintain comfort while the pillow is in use, but also durable enough to hold up to long-term use and effectively hold the legs in a healthy position. For this reason, we prioritized options that incorporate materials such as body-contouring memory foam, durable high-density foams, and soft covers that should protect against skin chafing.
Sleepopolis Buying Tips
Trying to settle on the best leg positioner pillow for your needs? Take the following into account:
- Desired functions. Do you want to keep your hips aligned while side sleeping or elevate your legs while lounging on your back? Are you trying to care for one or both legs after an injury or surgery? The answers to these questions will determine the type of leg pillow that’s right for you.
- Materials. Do you have strong preferences when it comes to the materials used in a cover or in the pillow itself? This can be a quick way to narrow down your search.
The right leg positioner pillow will help keep you feeling good, whether by maintaining healthy spinal alignment, reducing hip or knee pain while you sleep, or elevating an injured or post-surgery limb to help cut down on pain. No matter whether you need a pillow for short-term use or the long haul, there’s an option for everyone on this list.
What is a leg pillow?
A leg pillow or leg positioner pillow is a shaped pillow that’s most commonly meant to maintain ergonomic alignment in various positions. For example, some leg pillows go between the legs while side sleeping, and some are shaped like wedges to elevate both legs while back sleeping. In some cases, leg pillows are designed to elevate one or both legs after an injury or surgery.
Is it good to sleep with a pillow between the legs?
It could be. Some people find that sleeping with a pillow between their legs (particularly while side sleeping) helps hold the legs and hips in healthy alignment, which also supports proper spinal alignment. This could potentially reduce knee, hip, or back pain, though it’s important to note that a leg pillow isn’t a guaranteed pain reliever.
What is the best leg pillow?
The best leg pillow will depend on why you need this kind of pillow in the first place. For example, if you’re a side sleeper with hip pain, consider a pillow that goes between the legs while you sleep. If you’re a back sleeper, you might want a wedge pillow that elevates both legs. And if you’re recovering from an injury or surgery, then you’ll want a leg pillow that helps elevate and stabilize your leg(s).
Latest posts by Logan Block (see all)
- 25 Days of Giving 2020 – Dreamfoam Mattress Giveaway! - December 25, 2020
- 25 Days of Giving 2020 – Saatva Mattress Giveaway! - December 24, 2020