Orthopedic pillows come in all shapes and sizes. From pillows that sit snugly between your knees to neck support pillows designed to align your spine, orthopedic pillows are often purchased as a way to address pain that’s exacerbated by your sleep setup.
This list includes some of our favorite orthopedic pillows in many forms that are all designed to help alleviate some of your discomforts. Speaking with a doctor is always an important first step, however, if you’re experiencing chronic pain. With that said, let’s get into some of our favorite orthopedic pillows.
Best Orthopedic Pillows
- Editor’s Pick – GhostPillow Memory Foam
- Best Neck Pillow – Tempur Neck Pillow
- Best Knee Pillow – ComfiLife Orthopedic Knee Pillow
- Best for Shoulder Pain – Puffy Pillow
- Best Orthopedic Travel Pillow – Sleep Innovations Contour Memory Foam Pillow
GhostPillow Memory Foam
- The pillow is made of high-quality memory foam that is breathable and firm, yet has enough give to contour to your body’s natural curvature.
- The cooling Ghost Ice fabric cover is removable and washable.
- The GhostPillow has a slightly firmer feel that’s especially good for side sleepers.
- This pillow comes in one size, which isn’t necessarily a “con”, but it’s not a one-size-fits-all solution; be sure to choose the right size for your needs before purchasing to ensure the right fit.
For back sleepers, side sleepers, or stomach sleepers, the GhostPillow Memory Foam is designed to hopefully help with neck alignment through support. Made of firm but forgiving memory foam, this pillow is ergonomically designed to support your neck, shoulders, head and back. Its breathable material is made to encourage airflow which will potentially help hot sleepers, and its removable cover can be easily washed.
Best Neck Pillow
Tempur Neck Pillow
The Tempur-Pedic TEMPUR-Neck pillow is designed for back and side sleepers who need extra help maintaining healthy posture. Tempur-Pedic is known for making great mattresses and pillows, but this pillow is actually Tempur-Pedic’s first pillow! What makes this pillow great is it’s unique “U” design allowing it to adapt to the natural curves of your head, neck, and shoulders, and prevent your spine from deviating out of alignment when you’re sleeping on your side or back.
If you’re curious to learn more about this accessory, be sure to check my full Tempur-Pedic pillows review!
Price: $89-$129, with a 5-year warranty.
Perfect For: Back and side sleepers looking for a firm contour pillow!
The pillows from Tempur-Pedic provide a variety of ways to get the proper support and comfort you need for a healthy night of sleep.
Best Orthopedic Knee Pillow
ComfiLife Orthopedic Knee Pillow
- The design of the pillow is great for in between the knees, but it can also be used to elevate legs or support ankles.
- The pillow is made of a firm, high-density memory foam that offers little give and holds legs in place to promote spine alignment.
- The removable, soft and breathable cover helps the pillow stay cool even in warm environments.
- Because of the pillow’s size, if you’re an active sleeper, it has risk to move throughout the night.
When most people think of orthopedic pillows, the first thing that comes to mind is extra neck support or some sort of ergonomic pillow designed for upper spinal alignment. The ComfiLife orthopedic pillow is a great option for promoting lower back alignment when used in between the knees; and can be an ideal choice for pregnancy.
Best for Shoulder Pain
The Puffy Pillow is a hypoallergenic and dust mite-resistant pillow made of a special blend of polyester and bamboo rayon, making it a great choice for those who suffer from allergies. The cover is made out of a special bamboo rayon making it breathable and cooling so hot sleepers will really enjoy this pillow. Not to mention, it’s also Oeko Tex 100 Certified, ensuring you get the most quality a pillow can offer.
This pillow is made with premium CertiPUR-US memory foam, meaning it’s free from any harmful chemicals so people with sensitive skins will really enjoy it. The memory foam filling is also adjustable so you can remove or add filling to fit your preference! All you have to do is unzip the inner sleeve and adjust the amount of memory foam filling you want!
Shipping right to your door via FedEx within 1 – 3 business days, you can also find great convenience in purchasing this pillow.
Price: $79-$99, with a lifetime warranty and an extra-sweet 101-night trial period.
Perfect For: Combo sleepers looking for an allergy-friendly pillow.
The Puffy Pillow is a great choice for sleepers looking for a pillow with customizable comfort, targeted support, and allergy-friendly properties.
Best Orthopedic Travel Pillow
Sleep Innovations Contour Memory Foam Pillow
- Measuring in at 15 x 10 x 5 inches, this travel-sized orthopedic pillow fits easily into a bag for on-the-go comfort.
- The pillow features a soft, washable cover that’s smooth against your skin.
- The memory foam adapts to the curvature of your head, neck and shoulders to promote ideal spinal alignment.
- The pillow has a pretty intense chemical smell when first opened. However, after airing out, the smell dissipates.
Why should quality sleep be relegated to your bed at home? The contour memory foam pillow from Sleep Innovations comes in a travel size, allowing you to bring an orthopedic pillow with you on the go. With two varying height sizes you can choose what size works best for you, and its memory foam material will provide the support and softness you need.
How We Selected the Best Orthopedic Pillows
Finding the right orthopedic pillow for your needs will largely depend on what you’re trying to treat. Some pillows are designed to specifically address sciatic nerve pain, while others are made to promote spinal alignment in your neck. Speaking to a doctor will help pinpoint what type of pillow you should be looking for, but as a general overview, here are some of the things we considered in our selection process.
- Multiple Height and Size Options: The thickness and size of a pillow is of the utmost importance to promoting proper spinal alignment. We tended to favor pillows that allowed you to customize size. Pillows with removable foam inserts, varying contour sizes, or different pillow size options were all perfect for picking the right thickness for you.
- Breathability and Sensitivity: This is a pillow, so as well as providing adequate support it’s important that it’s soft and comfortable. We favored memory foam that didn’t overheat, and featured a cover that wasn’t made of any uncomfortable material and could be removed and washed.
- Firmness: Generally speaking, the firmness of a pillow is variable based on individual needs. For orthopedic pillows, however, there is a baseline level of firmness and support that should be present to encourage proper alignment. We tended to favor pillows that were soft yet supportive.
Tips on Choosing the Right Orthopedic Pillow
Finding the right orthopedic pillow for your needs can change your life. That seems like an overstatement, but reducing neck, back, hip, knee, or any other part of your body that’s aching can impact your entire outlook. We recommend consulting a doctor to truly identify the source of any pain, but if you’re in the market for an orthopedic pillow, here are some things to consider.
- What the Pillow is Designed For: Choosing an orthopedic pillow is dependent on what part of your body is hurting. If you’re experiencing lower back back, maybe look into a knee pillow; and similarly, look to specific neck pillows if your neck is the pain point. There are a lot of specific products on the market built to address specific pain, so don’t settle on a general pillow and expect it to fix all that ails you.
- Pillow Material and Skin Sensitivity: Orthopedic pillows can be made from a number of materials, and can have pillowcases made of even more. Take note of the type of foam; if a pillow is not made of a breathable material, it may get hot throughout the night. And, if the pillowcase is made of an artificial fabric it may be an irritant to sensitive skin,
Recapping the Top Orthopedic Pillows
Turning to an orthopedic pillow is a great step towards a healthier and more therapeutic sleep regiment. They can help alleviate pain in multiple parts of the body, and promote improved spinal alignment and posture. Everyone’s orthopedic pillow solution will be different, but finding the right one can make all the difference.