Orthopedic pillows come in all shapes and sizes. From pillows that sit snugly between your knees to neck support pillows designed to align your spine, orthopedic pillows are often purchased as a way to address pain that’s exacerbated by your sleep setup.
This list includes some of our favorite orthopedic pillows in many forms that are all designed to help alleviate some of your discomforts. Speaking with a doctor is always an important first step, however, if you’re experiencing chronic pain. With that said, let’s get into some of our favorite orthopedic pillows.
EPABO Contour Memory Foam Pillow
- The pillow is made of high-quality memory foam that is breathable and firm, yet has enough give to contour to your body’s natural curvature.
- The removable, washable cover is made of a hypoallergenic rayon/polyester proprietary blend that is soft on sensitive skin.
- The pillow also features a removable foam insert that allows you to adjust thickness based on your preference.
- This pillow comes in three sizes, which isn’t necessarily a “con”, but it’s not a one-size-fits-all solution; be sure to choose the right size for your needs before purchasing to ensure the right fit.
For back sleepers, side sleepers, or stomach sleepers, the EPABO orthopedic pillow is designed to hopefully help with neck alignment through support. Made of firm but forgiving memory foam, this pillow is ergonomically designed to support your neck, shoulders, head and back. Its breathable material is made to encourage airflow which will potentially help hot sleepers, and its removable cover can be easily washed.
POLAR SLEEP Memory Foam Pillow
- The pillow is made of a soft memory foam with a rebound time of three to five seconds, which conforms and holds your unique shape.
- The pillow comes with a soft, chemical-free, skin-friendly cover made of bamboo and polyester that’s easily removed and washed.
- The contour design is ergonomically designed to help encourage proper neck alignment, especially for side sleepers.
- While the pillowcase is functional, some might not like the pattern, which can be a stretch to fit into your decor.
This breathable, soft but supporting memory foam pillow from POLAR SLEEP is a great option for those in the market for an orthopedic pillow; especially side sleepers. Ergonomically designed for spinal alignment, this pillow is designed to keep pressure distributed evenly to potentially help alleviate pain points. The pillow’s washable bamboo and polyester cover is soft and forgiving on sensitive skin.
Best Orthopedic Knee Pillow
ComfiLife Orthopedic Knee Pillow
- The design of the pillow is great for in between the knees, but it can also be used to elevate legs or support ankles.
- The pillow is made of a firm, high-density memory foam that offers little give and holds legs in place to promote spine alignment.
- The removable, soft and breathable cover helps the pillow stay cool even in warm environments.
- Because of the pillow’s size, if you’re an active sleeper, it has risk to move throughout the night.
When most people think of orthopedic pillows, the first thing that comes to mind is extra neck support or some sort of ergonomic pillow designed for upper spinal alignment. The ComfiLife orthopedic pillow is a great option for promoting lower back alignment when used in between the knees; and can be an ideal choice for pregnancy.
Best Adjustable Orthopedic Pillow
Royal Therapy Memory Foam Pillow
- The main pro here is the pillow’s adjustability. With three layers of internal memory foam, you can easily remove the center layer to control the pillow’s thickness.
- The pillow features a polyester and bamboo fiber cover that’s soft, cool, and easily removed and washed.
- The contour design features two different heights so you can choose which is best for you.
- This pillow is softer than other orthopedic pillows, so if you’re looking for a super firm option this may not be the best choice for you.
Featuring a removable middle foam layer, this Royal Therapy orthopedic pillow is a great option for those who want to control the thickness of their pillow. With a memory foam core and a hypoallergenic bamboo cover, this pillow is sturdy and soft simultaneously.
Best Orthopedic Travel Pillow
Sleep Innovations Contour Memory Foam Pillow
- Measuring in at 15 x 10 x 5 inches, this travel-sized orthopedic pillow fits easily into a bag for on-the-go comfort.
- The pillow features a soft, washable cover that’s smooth against your skin.
- The memory foam adapts to the curvature of your head, neck and shoulders to promote ideal spinal alignment.
- The pillow has a pretty intense chemical smell when first opened. However, after airing out, the smell dissipates.
Why should quality sleep be relegated to your bed at home? The contour memory foam pillow from Sleep Innovations comes in a travel size, allowing you to bring an orthopedic pillow with you on the go. With two varying height sizes you can choose what size works best for you, and its memory foam material will provide the support and softness you need.
How We Selected the Best Orthopedic Pillows
Finding the right orthopedic pillow for your needs will largely depend on what you’re trying to treat. Some pillows are designed to specifically address sciatic nerve pain, while others are made to promote spinal alignment in your neck. Speaking to a doctor will help pinpoint what type of pillow you should be looking for, but as a general overview, here are some of the things we considered in our selection process.
- Multiple Height and Size Options: The thickness and size of a pillow is of the utmost importance to promoting proper spinal alignment. We tended to favor pillows that allowed you to customize size. Pillows with removable foam inserts, varying contour sizes, or different pillow size options were all perfect for picking the right thickness for you.
- Breathability and Sensitivity: This is a pillow, so as well as providing adequate support it’s important that it’s soft and comfortable. We favored memory foam that didn’t overheat, and featured a cover that wasn’t made of any uncomfortable material and could be removed and washed.
- Firmness: Generally speaking, the firmness of a pillow is variable based on individual needs. For orthopedic pillows, however, there is a baseline level of firmness and support that should be present to encourage proper alignment. We tended to favor pillows that were soft yet supportive.
Tips on Choosing the Right Orthopedic Pillow
Finding the right orthopedic pillow for your needs can change your life. That seems like an overstatement, but reducing neck, back, hip, knee, or any other part of your body that’s aching can impact your entire outlook. We recommend consulting a doctor to truly identify the source of any pain, but if you’re in the market for an orthopedic pillow, here are some things to consider.
- What the Pillow is Designed For: Choosing an orthopedic pillow is dependent on what part of your body is hurting. If you’re experiencing lower back back, maybe look into a knee pillow; and similarly, look to specific neck pillows if your neck is the pain point. There are a lot of specific products on the market built to address specific pain, so don’t settle on a general pillow and expect it to fix all that ails you.
- Pillow Material and Skin Sensitivity: Orthopedic pillows can be made from a number of materials, and can have pillowcases made of even more. Take note of the type of foam; if a pillow is not made of a breathable material, it may get hot throughout the night. And, if the pillowcase is made of an artificial fabric it may be an irritant to sensitive skin,
Recapping the Top Orthopedic Pillows
Turning to an orthopedic pillow is a great step towards a healthier and more therapeutic sleep regiment. They can help alleviate pain in multiple parts of the body, and promote improved spinal alignment and posture. Everyone’s orthopedic pillow solution will be different, but finding the right one can make all the difference.