A down mattress topper can make your bed feel more soft or cloud-like, which can help you get and stay comfortable at night. Down mattress toppers also tend to be cozy and warm, so they can be a great option for folks who live in cold climates or who like to sleep on the warmer side.
How can you find the best down mattress topper for your needs? For starters, look for options that are designed to maintain even fill distribution (for example, via a baffle box construction). Also think about your preferences when it comes to cover and fill materials and sourcing standards. Pair these considerations with your budget and check out our roundup, and you’ll be well on your way to finding the best down topper for you!
Allied Essentials Luxe Featherbed Mattress Topper
- The topper has a “turtle top” construction with two compartments, which makes it extra lofty. It’s filled with 550 fill power down in the top compartment, while the bottom compartment is packed with goose feathers. The bottom layer is made with a baffle box construction to hold the fill in place.
- The shell is made from 300 thread count, 100% cotton.
- The topper comes with a stretchy skirt that should fit mattresses up to 20” tall.
- The down is Responsible Down Standard certified.
One con? The topper might fall flat quickly and need to be re-fluffed on a regular basis.
The Allied Essentials Luxe Featherbed Mattress Topper uses Responsible Down Standard certified down to create a lofty featherbed. The dual compartments and baffle box construction create an even distribution of fill.
puredown Overfilled Bed Topper
- The topper’s shell is made from 100% cotton. The bottom layer of filling is white goose feather, and the top layer is polyester.
- The topper is made with a baffle box construction and double-needle stitching that help hold the fill in place so it doesn’t clump up.
- The down in the topper follows the Responsible Down Standard.
- Elastic straps help hold the topper in place on top of a mattress.
- Over time, feathers might start to poke through the shell.
- The topper might flatten out and need to be re-fluffed regularly to maintain its loft.
The puredown Overfilled Bed Topper has a 100% cotton shell and is filled with both white goose feather and polyester. The dual-layered topper is made with a baffle box construction to hold the fill in the place.
Pacific Coast Luxe Feather Bed
- The Resilia feathers are cleaned to create an allergen-free sleep environment.
- A baffle box construction holds the feathers in place.
- The shell is made from 230 thread count, 100% cotton with top-stitched seams, which promote durability.
- The feathers are American Down and Feather Council certified.
- The topper tends to go flat fairly quickly. You may need to re-fluff it each week.
- Over time, feathers might start to poke through the shell.
The hypoallergenic Pacific Coast Luxe Feather Bed is American Down and Feather Council certified. The durable shell is made from 100% cotton, and a baffle box construction holds the fill in place.
Bluestone Down & Duck Feather Gusset Topper
- The shell is made from 233 thread count, 100% cotton, which is soft to the touch.
- The fill is made from 95% duck feathers and 5% down feathers, for a total fill weight of nine pounds.
- The baffle box construction helps maintain even fill distribution.
- With use, the feathers might start to poke through the shell.
- The topper tends to flatten out with use and will need to be re-fluffed regularly.
The Bluestone Down & Duck Feather Gusset Topper has a total fill weight of nine pounds, derived from 95% duck feathers and 5% down feathers. The 100% cotton shell is soft to the touch.
How We Picked
Wondering how we made our selections for best down mattress topper? We prioritized the following criteria.
One of the possible annoyances that can come along with featherbeds is fill that clumps up in one area of the topper and thins out in others. Nobody wants that! So we focused on down mattress toppers that are designed with even weight distribution in mind. Each of the options here has a baffle box construction that helps hold fill in place and ensure an even distribution of fill throughout the topper.
Whenever possible, we prioritized down mattress toppers that employ ethical standards when it comes to sourcing their down. Most of the options on this list meet the standards of either Responsible Down Standard or the American Down and Feather Council.
We took a close look at the materials in both the shell and the filling of these toppers. Each of these toppers has a 100% cotton shell that’s fairly soft and durable. The fillings have more variation — some are a combination of feathers and down; some are a combination of feathers and polyester; some are just filled with feathers; and so on. If you have strong feelings about down fill, you’ll have several options to choose from.
Sleepopolis Buying Tips
Trying to select the best down mattress topper for your needs? Think about these factors:
- Fill. Do you prefer a mixture of down and feathers? Just feathers? Feathers and polyester? A different combination? Strong feelings here will help you rule out a lot of options.
- Ethics. Do you want a topper that’s made from responsibly sourced down? The answer will help you narrow your search.
- Construction. To increase the chances that your new topper will maintain even fill distribution, look for an option made with a baffle box construction (or another construction that helps hold the fill in place).
A down mattress topper can add softness and comfort to your mattress, which can increase the chances that you’ll fall and stay asleep each night. To find the best down mattress topper for your needs, think about your preferences when it comes to filling, construction, ethics, and so on. Then get ready to feel like you’re sleeping on a cloud!
Are down mattress toppers good?
This is a matter of personal preference. Down mattress toppers can make your bed feel fluffier and softer, which can help you sleep more comfortably. Some people love the lofty feel of down toppers, while others prefer the body contouring of memory foam or the bounciness of a latex topper.
Are down mattress toppers hot?
As a general rule, down mattress toppers tend to run warm. Down is an insulating material, and sinking into a feather topper can trap some heat. Some people like this cozy feel, while others will want to look for a cooler topper.
Which mattress topper is best for back pain?
This depends on the person and the mattress in question. For example, if the back pain is a result of a too-firm mattress, then a soft down mattress topper or a pressure-relieving memory foam mattress topper could be helpful. If back pain is occurring because the mattress isn’t firm enough, then look for a more supportive mattress topper.
Latest posts by Logan Block (see all)
- 25 Days of Giving 2020 – Dreamfoam Mattress Giveaway! - December 25, 2020
- 25 Days of Giving 2020 – Saatva Mattress Giveaway! - December 24, 2020