You can’t use an air mattress without an effective air mattress pump. So while these little devices aren’t exactly sexy, they are important. Just ask anyone who’s tried to sleep on an improperly inflated air mattress and found themselves crunching into the floor as the night goes on!
How do you choose the right air mattress pump for your needs? Start by thinking about where you plan to do most of your inflating. If you use an air mattress for camping, then you’ll want a portable pump. If you’re just going to inflate air mattresses for guests who stay in your spare bedroom, then a corded option will do just fine. Beyond that, your budget and this list of suggestions will help you zero in on the best air mattress pump for your needs.
Best Portable Pump
Etekcity Portable Air Mattress Pump
- Cordless functionality lets you inflate and deflate items in any room or outdoors with ease.
- Three nozzle sizes ensure that the pump works with different air mattresses as well as pool toys, exercise balls, vacuum bags, other inflatable furniture, and so on.
- The pump can be recharged via a wall outlet or the car and comes with the necessary charging accessories.
- The pump is lightweight, easily transported, and easy to use. It’s fast at both inflating and deflating.
- The air pump doesn’t turn on when it’s being charged, so you’ll need to charge it in advance of whenever you need it.
- The run time between charges isn’t always predictable, which can be a nuisance.
Inflate your air mattress anywhere you’d like with the Etekcity Portable Air Mattress Pump, which offers cordless functionality for go-anywhere inflating and deflating. The pump comes with the accessories necessary to charge it via a wall outlet or car.
OlarHike Portable Quick-Fill Electric Air Mattress Pump
- This is a budget-friendly air pump that offers great value for the price.
- Three nozzle sizes let you choose the right fit for inflating and deflating air mattresses, pool toys, vacuum bags, and other inflatables.
- The cordless design and compact size make it easy to transport and use the pump both indoors and outdoors.
- The pump’s battery recharges via a wall outlet or a car’s cigarette plug.
- The pump will not operate while it’s plugged into a wall outlet or car charger.
- The pump can be pretty noisy (but you’ll be hard-pressed to find an air mattress pump that doesn’t make noise!).
A compact, cordless, and easily transportable design makes the OlarHike Portable Quick-Fill Electric Air Mattress Pump our contender for best portable pump. Three nozzle sizes let you find the right fit for your inflating and deflating needs.
Best Corded Pump
Etekcity Electric Air Pump
- The high-pressure design and metal impellers are meant to produce faster inflation than many other AC air mattress pumps.
- Multiple nozzle sizes let you customize the pump to different air mattresses, rafts, toys, inflatable pools and furniture, and so on.
- A “sound insulation board” should make this pump operate more quietly than many other pumps on the market.
- The carrying handle makes it easy to transport and operate the pump.
- The pump only operates while plugged in, so using it might require an extension cord.
- Some users have reported that the pump is prone to overheating.
At-home inflating and deflating gets a whole lot easier with the Etekcity Electric Air Pump, which features a high-speed design for fast inflation. It’s also designed to operate more quietly than many other pumps.
Corded Pump Contender
Intex Quick45 Fill Electric Pump
- Multiple nozzle sizes let you inflate and deflate a variety of inflatables.
- The convenient handle makes it easy to transport and use the pump.
- The pump works quickly, so it shouldn’t take long to fill up or deflate an air mattress.
- The pump can be pretty noisy (though that’s normal for air mattress pumps). This may not be a good option if you have children or pets who are sensitive to loud noise.
- The pump can’t be charged with a car adapter, so it’s pretty much exclusively for at-home use.
The fast-acting Intex Quick45 Fill Electric Pump offers quick inflating and deflating at home. The newest design features a handle for easy carrying.
Etekcity Electric Air Pump
- This is one of the cheapest air mattress pumps around, and it offers great value for the price.
- Three nozzle sizes should make this compatible with different air mattresses as well as rafts, pool toys, vacuum storage bags, and so on.
- The compact, lightweight design makes transport and storage a breeze.
- A deflation port lets you quickly deflate anything that you’ve inflated.
- The pump plugs into an outlet and doesn’t come with a car adapter, so you can only inflate items when an outlet is accessible.
- The pump needs to cool for about 30 minutes after use, so you can’t put it back in storage immediately after using it.
Save some money without sacrificing functionality thanks to the Etekcity Electric Air Pump, which features a compact and lightweight design. Multiple nozzle sizes should fit a variety of air mattresses and other inflatables.
How We Picked
Air mattress pumps are pretty no-frills. There’s not much variety in terms of aesthetics, and the main factor for choosing any pump comes down to this: Does it work? So we focused on models that generally offer fast and easy inflation and deflation. Beyond that, we also considered the following factors.
There are a lot of high-quality air mattress pump options within the $15 to $30 price range, so that’s where we focused our search. While that’s not a huge range, your budget might call for focusing on one side or the other.
This is probably the biggest distinguishing factor between different air mattress pumps. Some options are battery-powered and don’t need to be plugged into a wall during operation, while others are cordless and only work when plugged into a wall outlet.
Your intended use for the pump will help you choose whether a portable or corded option is best, and we included multiple options from each category so you can choose the right style for your needs.
If you’re looking to inflate an air mattress for camping or you spend a lot of time inflating pool toys outside, then a portable option might be ideal. Just keep in mind that you’ll need to charge it in advance of your inflating or deflating session, because most portable options don’t operate while they’re plugged in for charging.
If you do most of your charging inside your house or apartment, then a corded option might suit your needs. Just be aware that you might need to use an extension cord depending on the layout of your wall outlets, and you won’t be able to take the pump along on camping trips and other outdoor adventures.
Sleepopolis Buying Tips
To zero in on the best air mattress pump for your needs, consider the following:
- What’s your intended use? This will help you decide between a portable or cordless option. If you’re planning to use the pump to inflate an air mattress for camping, then you’ll probably want a portable model. If you’re just going to be filling up an air mattress in the guest bedroom of your home, then a corded variety is probably fine.
- What’s your budget? There are a lot of great options in the $15 to $30 range, so you shouldn’t have to shell out big bucks for any air mattress pump. Still, your budget might mean that you favor one side of that price range over the other.
There are plenty of air mattress pumps that will get inflation and deflation jobs done with little fuss. To settle on the right one for you, determine whether you want a portable or cordless model and then clarify your budget. You’ll know that you’ve found the right pump when the thought of inflating your air mattress doesn’t fill you with dread.
Latest posts by Logan Block (see all)
- 25 Days of Giving 2020 – Dreamfoam Mattress Giveaway! - December 25, 2020
- 25 Days of Giving 2020 – Saatva Mattress Giveaway! - December 24, 2020