Bunk beds bring back happy memories of climbing into bed after a long day at summer camp, vacationing on the beach, or getting tucked in for a sleepover. Nostalgia aside, the best bunk beds provide a way for people of all ages to create more space in a small room and save money on bedroom furniture. Bunk beds have come a long way from our childhood — there are many options available now to suit a wide variety of aesthetics and functions. If you’re trying to maximize square footage in a small city space or have a fun setup for kids to share a room, we’ve rounded up the best bunk beds.
Best Bunk Beds 2023
- Max and Lily Kid’s Bunk Bed – Best Overall
- AFI Furnishings Columbia Staircase Bunk Bed – Best With Staircase
- Harper & Bright Designs Bunk Bed – Best Stylish
- DHP Miles Metal Bunk Bed – Best Space-Saving
- Max and Lily Wood Bunk Bed – Sturdiest
- MERITLINE Bunk Bed – Best Design
- Dorel Living Moon Bunk Bed – Best Traditional
- Mecor Metal Bunk Bed – Best Metal
Max and Lily Kid’s Bunk Bed – Best Overall
Max and Lily Kid's Bunk Bed
The Max and Lily Kid’s Bunk Bed is a durable and attractive bunk bed at a competitive cost.
4.90 / 5Read Full Review
If you’re looking for a durable and attractive bunk bed at a competitive cost, the Max and Lily Kid’s Bunk Bed is a great option. This bed is made of high-quality New Zealand pinewood that is non-toxic with a low volatile organic compounds (VOC) finish — meaning you won’t experience a chemical smell when you unbox it. It comes in seven different finish options, and you have the option to separate the bunk into two beds later on.
Who the Max and Lily Kid’s Bunk Bed Is Best For
- Those who want multiple color options: This bunk bed is available in a variety of colors, including blue, gray, natural wood, white, pecan, and walnut.
- Shoppers looking for a good value: Reviewers say they think this bed is great quality for the price.
- People who may want to separate the beds down the road: The two bunks can be separated into two free standing beds.
Who Should Avoid the Max and Lily Kid’s Bunk Bed
- Sleepers who need more space on the top bunk: The top bed is a twin size, while the lower is a full size.
- Those who prefer white glove delivery service: You’ll have to set this bunk bed up on your own.
Is this the right bunk bed for you? Click here to get the best deal.
AFI Furnishings Columbia Staircase Bunk Bed – Best with Staircase
AFI Furnishings Columbia Staircase Bunk Bed
The AFI Furnishings Columbia Staircase bunk bed comes with a staircase with handrails for extra safety. As an added perk, the staircase includes built-in bookshelves and drawers so you have room to stash extra stuff.
4.80 / 5Read Full Review
Staircases are safer and easier to use than ladders when you’re climbing up to the top bunk. The AFI Furnishings Columbia Staircase bunk bed comes with a staircase with handrails for extra safety. As an added perk, the staircase includes built-in bookshelves and drawers so you have room to stash extra stuff. There are also device chargers integrated into the bed. You can choose from two full beds and a trundle or a twin/full sized option to best suit your unique needs.
Who the AFI Furnishings Columbia Staircase Bunk Bed Is Best For
- Sleepers who want a trundle bed option: The additional trundle bed provides the option to sleep three easily on this bunk bed — perfect for kids’ sleepovers.
- Adults or older kids who need more space: With the option for two full size mattresses on this bunk bed, you won’t need to worry about feeling cramped on a twin.
- Shoppers looking for a bunk with extra storage: The added storage in the staircase is a win for maximizing space and keeping the bedroom organized.
Who Should Avoid the AFI Furnishings Columbia Staircase Bunk Bed
- Shoppers who want multiple color options: This particular bed comes in just one color: white.
- Shoppers with a tight budget: At over $3,000, this is not a budget bunk bed. However, you certainly get a lot for that price.
Click here to get the best price on this bunk bed.
Harper & Bright Designs Bunk Bed – Best Stylish
Harper & Bright Designs Bunk Bed
The Harper & Bright Designs Bunk Bed is a pine and plywood bunk that has a chic design at an affordable price. It also comes in multiple color options.
4.30 / 5Read Full Review
The Harper & Bright Designs bunk bed was built with aesthetics in mind. This pine and plywood bunk has a chic design at an affordable price. It comes in four color options to match the style of your bedroom: espresso, white, gray, and walnut. This bunk bed also has multiple mattress size options with a weight capacity of 300 pounds on the top bunk to fit a wide range of sleepers, and the option to add drawers underneath for added storage.
Who the Harper & Bright Designs Bunk Bed Is Best For
- Those who want multiple color options: With four different colors to choose from, you should be able to find an option that works for you.
- Growing kids: You can choose larger bed sizes that will work for your child as they grow older. Plus, with a weight capacity of 300 pounds, most children should have no issue sleeping on this bed, even as they grow.
- Shoppers after a good value: Reviews say it’s sturdy and high quality.
Who Should Avoid the Harper & Bright Designs Bunk Bed
- Shoppers who want a bed for long-term use: According to reviews, there are more durable options available.
- Those who want a simple assembly: Some reviews say the instructions were unclear for assembly.
Thinking about the Harper & Bright Designs bunk bed? Click here to check out the best deal.
DHP Miles Metal Bunk Bed – Best Space-Saving
DHP Miles Metal Bunk Bed
The DHP Miles Metal Bunk Bed is a great option to maximize the space in a smaller room. This bed has a sleek, minimalist design that takes up as little area as possible.
4.50 / 5Read Full Review
Bunk beds are generally great at saving space in your bedroom, but some beds are more compact than others. The DHP Miles Metal Bunk Bed is a great option to maximize the space in a smaller room. This bed has a sleek, minimalist design that takes up as little area as possible. It is easy to assemble and comes in white, silver, blue, and black color options to customize the look of this industrial-style bed.
Who the DHP Miles Metal Bunk Bed Is Best For
- Smaller bedrooms with low ceilings: The slim profile and low height of this bed make it ideal for smaller spaces.
- Small or big kids: With the option of a twin-over-twin, twin-over-full, or full-over-full, this bunk bed can accommodate kids of many ages. It also has a weight capacity of 200 pounds for the upper bed and 250 pounds for the lower bed, which should be sturdy enough for most kids.
- Budget shoppers: With starting prices under $300, this bunk bed is not only space-saving, but budget-friendly.
Who Should Avoid the DHP Miles Metal Bunk Bed
- Those who want a bed with extra storage space: While this bed doesn’t take up much space, it also doesn’t provide any additional storage.
- Shoppers who don’t like industrial-style furniture: If you prefer a more homey or whimsical look for your kids’ bed, this industrial frame may not appeal to you.
Click here to see the best sales for this bunk bed.
Max and Lily Wood Bunk Bed – Sturdiest
Max and Lily Wood Bunk Bed
The Max and Lilly Wood Frame bed is built with thick New Zealand pine that should stay in good shape for many years. Each bed can safely hold sleepers up to 400 pounds, making it a solid choice for sleepers of many sizes.
4.90 / 5Read Full Review
If you’re looking for a bunk bed that you want to use for years to come, you’ll want to look for a bed made of sturdy, durable materials. The Max and Lilly Wood Frame bed is built with thick New Zealand pine that should stay in good shape for many years. Each bed can safely hold sleepers up to 400 pounds, making it a solid choice for sleepers of many sizes. These beds easily separate in case you want to move them in separate rooms. There also is an added trundle bed, so you could fit a whole family in a single bedroom or easily host extra house guests.
Who the Max and Lily Wood Bed Frame Is Best For
- Growing kids: The higher weight capacity of this bunk bed means it can last kids awhile, as they grow.
- Shoppers who want excellent customer service: Customers note that Max and Lily provides excellent customer service if you encounter any issues.
- Guest rooms or children who have slumber parties: With the trundle, this three-in-one bunk bed makes it easy to host sleepovers or multiple overnight guests.
Who Should Avoid the Max and Lily Wood Bed Frame
- Those sensitive to odors: Some shoppers mentioned a temporary off-gassing smell when the bed is first unboxed.
- Those who don’t want to DIY their bunk bed assembly: This bed does require self-assembly.
Check out the best deals on the Max and Lilly Wood Bed Frame here.
MERITLINE Bunk Bed – Best Design
MERITLINE Bunk Bed
The MERITLINE Bunk Bed has a classic design that makes it seem much more expensive than its budget-friendly price. It also comes in multiple colors.
4.40 / 5Read Full Review
The MERITLINE Bunk Bed has a classic design that makes it seem much more expensive than its budget-friendly price. This wooden bed has crisp white finish and stylish panels that look good for every angle. The timeless style of this bed combined with the full-over-full size make it appropriate for kids and adults of all ages, and can be detached into platform beds if you no longer want to bunk them. There also is a trundle bed included in the bottom bunk, making this a good pick for sleepovers or guest rooms.
Who the MERITLINE Bunk Bed Is Best For
- Those who want a sleek, modern look: Despite its affordable price, this bunk bed boasts a beautiful, modern look with paneled wood. It also comes in multiple colors.
- Families who want the option to separate their beds: If your children outgrow bunk beds or you move to a larger home, you don’t need to worry about buying all new bed frames.
- Sleepers who want full mattresses and a trundle option: There’s more room to spread out on these full size beds. Plus you can sleep more people with a trundle bed.
Who Should Avoid the MERITLINE Bunk Bed
- Those looking to save space: This is a larger bunk bed, so it may not be ideal for those looking to furnish a smaller space.
- Shoppers after easy assembly: Some customers reported not receiving clear instructions or all the necessary parts in order to build the bed.
Is this the right bunk bed for your family? Click here to get the best deal.
Dorel Living Moon Bunk Bed – Best Traditional
Dorel Living Moon Bunk Bed
The Dorel Living Moon Bunk Bed is a wooden bed with a traditional look that won’t go out of style over the years, but is updated with USB ports in each bunk so you can charge your devices as you sleep.
4.20 / 5Read Full Review
The Dorel Living Moon Bunk Bed is a wooden bed with a traditional look that won’t go out of style over the years, but is updated with USB ports in each bunk so you can charge your devices as you sleep. This bed is a full-over-full style, so it can accommodate older kids and adults, as well as younger children. Dorel also offers free delivery, 30 day returns, and a 1-year warranty to protect your purchase.
Who the Dorel Living Moon Bunk Bed Is Best For
- Guest bedrooms: The full size beds make this bunk bed a better option for hosting adults or kids in a guest bedroom.
- Those looking for beautiful traditional furniture: This bunk bed has a traditional style, but still comes at an affordable price.
- Bargain hunters: At under $500, this bunk bed is definitely on the more affordable side.
Who Should Avoid the Dorel Living Moon Bunk Bed
- Shoppers who want more color options: This bunk is only available in black and white.
- Those who want an assembly service option: You’ll have to assemble this bunk yourself.
Click here to get the best price on the Dorel Living Moon Bunk Bed.
Mecor Metal Bunk Bed – Best Metal
Mecor Metal Bunk Bed
This twin-over-twin style bed comes with a removable ladder so you can prevent little ones from playing on the top bunk unsupervised. This bed is also made of lightweight materials.
4.10 / 5Read Full Review
Metal beds are great for saving space and often come at a lower price point than wooden options. The Mecor Metal Bunk Bed is a steal with a price point under $200. This twin-over-twin style bed comes with a removable ladder so you can prevent little ones from playing on the top bunk unsupervised. This bed is also made of lightweight materials that make it easier to assemble or move around your house. It comes in navy blue or white options to give it a warmer look than other more industrial-looking metal options.
Who the Mecor Metal Bunk Bed Is Best For
- Families with young children: This bunk features a removable ladder to prevent kids from playing on the top bunk.
- Those seeking easy assembly: Reviews say this bed is easy to assemble.
- Folks looking for space between the beds: Customers say they appreciate the room between the lower and upper beds.
Who Should Avoid the Mecor Metal Bunk Bed
- Big kids: Folks say this bunk bed is less supportive than some other options on the market and recommend it for younger, smaller children only.
- Those looking for a long-term investment: This bed is less durable compared to other options.
Is this metal bed the right fit for you? Click here to get the best price.
What to Look for In A Bunk Bed
There are countless bunk bed options available today — so how do you know which one is right for you? There are a few important features for you to choose. First of all, you’ll want to think about who will be using the beds. Adult sleepers will need additional weight capacity and may want a larger mattress size.
You’ll also want to find a bed with appropriate safety features and the right ladder so you can get in and out of the top bunk with ease. If you’re trying to save space, you can look for a bed with extra storage features. Think about the style, material, and color of the bunk bed to make sure that your new bed will match your current bedroom furniture.
Most people think of a bunk bed as two twin mattresses, but there are many more size options available. Some beds offer full or twin XL mattress options if you have taller sleepers or college students in mind. You can also choose bunk beds with queen size mattresses for older children or if you want the option for an entire family to sleep in a single bed.
Style & Material
The two most common bunk bed materials are wood and metal. Wooden bunk beds give your bedroom a cozy, traditional look. Wooden bunk beds can be made of hardwood, softwood, and particle board. Bunk beds made of hard woods such as walnut, maple, or oak tend to be the most durable, but they also come at a higher price. Softwoods like pine are also aesthetically pleasing, but don’t last as long and tend to dent easier than hardwoods.
Metal bunk beds have an industrial look. Since they tend to be thinner than wooden beds, they make your room appear bigger. Metal beds are less durable than hardwood beds, but will hold up better than cheaper wood models. Some sleepers note that metal bed frames can be noisier than their wood counterparts.
You can use some bunk bed features as extra storage. You can choose a bunk bed with extra drawers underneath the bottom bunk or stairs. Some bunk beds also come with built-in bookshelves and desks to help optimize your space.
Some bunk beds will arrive partially assembled, while others need to be put together piece-by-piece. No matter which type you choose, bunk beds come with large, heavy parts, so you should expect to have a friend or two on call to help put it together safely. Some bunk bed companies will offer white glove delivery or an installation service which may come complementary with purchase or at an extra fee, depending on the company.
You’ll want to make sure that your bunk bed has all the right safety features — especially guard rails on all sides that are tall enough to keep you from falling off the edge of the bed. You’ll need to make sure that the profile of your mattress is the correct height so that the guard rails can keep you safe. The guard rails should not have large gaps where a child’s head or limb could get stuck. The bed frame should also be sturdy, and the stairs or ladder should attach firmly to the bed frame to prevent injury.
Ladder Style & Options
There are also several different types of ladders and stairs to choose from. Ladders take up less space than stairs and can be less expensive. Some also come with side handles as an extra safety feature or are removable, so you can keep little ones from playing in the top bunk unsupervised. Ladders may also be able to be attached to the bed at a slight angle to make them easier to use.
Stairs are expensive and take more real estate in your room, but they are generally safer and easier to use. Some stairs come with built-in storage options and handrails, but can be pricier than simple ladder options. Some bunk beds also come with the option to add a slide from the top bunk. This can be a fun addition for kids, but it is important that little ones don’t play in the bed unsupervised.
It’s also helpful to know what your budget is. Affordable bunk beds can be bought for less than a few hundred dollars. These may be basic and lightweight, but they can be perfect for those planning only intermittent use. If this bunk bed is going to be a permanent feature of a room or will be used by children for many years, it may be worth getting a more heavy-duty bunk bed.
What will be the primary purpose of the bunk bed? If this bed is for young children, there are products that are specifically designed for them. Some have fun features like slides, while others are just sized appropriately. If your children are already starting to outgrow their current sleeping situation, it may be wise to purchase a bunk bed that can accommodate further growth. A bunk bed that is too small for the kids it was purchased for can suddenly seem useless.
Should adults sleep in bunk beds?
While some bunk beds are designed with children in mind, most bunk beds will comfortably fit adult sleepers. Just make sure that your bed is an appropriate weight limit and a big enough mattress to fit your body type.
Should a 5-year-old have a bunk bed?
A 5-year-old can sleep safely on the trundle mattress or bottom of a bunk bed, but your little ones should wait until they are at least six years old to take the top bunk, according to the American Association of Pediatrics.
What age is best for top bunk?
Children should be at least six years old before they sleep on the top bunk, according to the American Association of Pediatrics.
What are the different types of bunk beds?
The most common types of bunk beds are standard bunks, double bunks, and trundle bunk beds. A standard bunk bed has one bed stacked over another. A double bunk bed consists of two beds stacked over two bottom mattresses for a total of four beds. A trundle bunk bed has an extra mattress that is stored under the bottom bunk.
Are bunk beds safe to sleep in?
Bunk beds are safe as long as they are set up correctly, have the appropriate weight capacity for the sleepers, and used responsibly. Children under six years of age should never be allowed on the top bunk and bunk beds should only be used for sleeping. There should only be one person in the top bunk at a time and the bed should never be used for playing. Also, you’ll need to make sure that your bed is assembled correctly and the mattresses are an appropriate height for your chosen bed furniture.
Best Bunk Beds 2023
|Bunk Bed||Best For||Price|
|Max and Lily Kid’s Bunk Bed||Overall||$709|
|AFI Furnishings Columbia Staircase Bunk Bed||Best With Staircase||$3,479|
|Harper & Bright Designs Bunk Bed||Best Stylish||$285|
|DHP Miles Metal Bunk Bed||Best Space-Saving||$339|
|Max and Lily Wood Bed Frame||Sturdiest||$769|
|MERITLINE Bunk Bed||Best Design||$439|
|Dorel Living Moon Bunk Bed||Best Traditional||$475|
|Mecor Metal Bunk Bed||Best Metal||$159|
Rasch, Hilary. “Rest easy with these bunk bed safety tips.” American Association of Pediatrics News, 1 July 2012. https://publications.aap.org/aapnews/article/33/7/22/9937/Rest-easy-with-these-bunk-bed-safety-tips