A quick way to upgrade your sleeping space is to add decorative pillows to your bed or a bedroom chair (or the living room couch, if you’re a napper!). There are tons of pillow shams out there that let you customize the look of decorative pillows to your decor and personal preferences. Once you’ve invested in a sham, you need to stuff it with a pillow insert. That’s where this roundup comes in.
How do you find the best pillow inserts for you? Think about your needs when it comes to sizing along with your preferences around feel, materials, and so on. Also consider your intended use for the inserts: Will they be purely decorative, or do you want them to provide extra support while you’re reading, doing the crossword, and so on? The answers to these questions will help you narrow down you search, and so will our top picks!
The Best Pillow Inserts
- Editor’s Choice – EDOW Throw Pillow Insert
- Contender – HOMESJUN Down Alternative Decorative Throw Pillow Insert
- Most Size Options – Pillowflex Synthetic Down Alternative Pillow Insert
- Best Lumbar – Foamily Premium Lumbar Stuffer Pillow Insert
- Best Bargain – Oubonun Pillow Insert
Editor’s Choice – EDOW Throw Pillow Insert
EDOW Throw Pillow Insert
The EDOW Throw Pillow Insert comes in a set of two, so it offers great value for the price. The pillows are available in eight sizes and are machine-washable.
4.70 / 5
- The inserts are available in tons of sizes, so you can tailor them to your preferred design or existing shams. They come in sets of two.
- The cover is made from 100% cotton and has tight stitching to help protect against filling leaks.
- The filling is 100% polyester fiber filler, which lends the insert a soft feel.
- The inserts are machine-washable, so they’re easy to keep clean.
- Because the insert is soft and not overstuffed, it can flatten out quickly. You might need to re-fluff it regularly.
- The insert doesn’t offer a ton of support and is best suited for decorative purposes. This won’t satisfy everyone.
Contender – HOMESJUN Down Alternative Decorative Throw Pillow Insert
HOMESJUN Decorative Throw Pillow Insert
A combination of feathers and down fills the HOMESJUN Decorative Pillow Insert, which features a 100% cotton cover. The pillows are sold in sets of two and are machine-washable.
4.60 / 5
- The inserts come in a set of two and are available in five sizes.
- The cover is durable, 100% cotton and the fill is 100% polyester.
- The inserts are well-filled and do a nice job of keeping their shape. They’re a good candidate for the “karate chop” look.
- The inserts are pretty budget-friendly, especially for the value.
- While the insert is sold as “down alternative,” its feel doesn’t seem much like down.
- As with many inserts, you’ll probably need to order a sham that’s a size smaller or an insert that’s a size larger to get the right match.
Most Size Options – Pillowflex Synthetic Down Alternative Pillow Insert
Pillowflex Synthetic Down Pillow Insert
The hefty Pillowflex Synthetic Down Pillow Insert is supportive and does a great job retaining its shape. The pillow is made in the USA and comes in tons of sizes.
4.70 / 5
- The insert is available in tons of sizes, so you can tailor it to your bedroom decor and preferred sham.
- It’s machine-washable and dryer-friendly, which makes it easy to care for at home.
- The insert is made in the USA from American fibers and an American-made shell.
- The insert is filled with a faux down polyester fiber that’s meant to mimic the feel of traditional down.
- The inserts are unlikely to fill out a sham of the same size. You’ll probably need to order a size up in the insert or a size down in the sham.
- The pillows are pretty firm and heavy, which might not appeal to everyone.
Best Lumbar – Foamily Premium Lumbar Stuffer Pillow Insert
Foamily Premium Lumbar Stuffer Pillow Insert
The Foamily Premium Lumbar Stuffer Pillow Insert comes in budget-friendly packs of 1, 2, or 4. The inserts are sturdy, firm, and durable.
4.60 / 5
- The inserts are sold in packs of 1, 2, or 4, and all of those options are fairly budget-friendly.
- The inserts are sturdy, firm, and durable, which is good news for people who are looking for lumbar support.
- They’re filled with hypoallergenic, virgin polyester fibers. The seller says they’re the only brand using this specific material (though we can’t vouch for that claim).
- The inserts are made in the USA.
- The inserts only come in one size, so hopefully that’s the size you want!
- The inserts seem to be smaller than the listed dimensions, so you’ll need to keep this in mind when purchasing.
Best Bargain – Oubonun Pillow Insert
Oubonun Pillow Inserts
Get great value at a bargain price with the Oubonun Pillow Inserts, which come in a set of two and are available in four sizes. The inserts feature a hidden zipper to protect against snags.
4.70 / 5
- The inserts come in a set of two and are available in four sizes.
- The cover is made from 100% cotton, and the insert is filled with 3D polyester.
- The zipper is hidden with a cloth flap, which helps protect against fill leaks and zipper snags.
- Even though the pillow inserts arrive vacuum packed, they fluff up within a few hours and keep their shape well.
One possible con? The inserts may not fill out a sham of the same size. You might need to order a sham that’s a size down or an insert that’s a size up.
How We Picked
How does one go about selecting the best options from a sea of pillow inserts? These are the criteria that we prioritized most.
Pillow inserts can be sold individually or in multiples. While purchasing multiple inserts together usually lowers the cost a bit, prices can still vary. You can find decent sets of inserts for around $40 or less, so we focused our search on inserts that come in below that price point. On this list, you’ll find options for anywhere from around $10 to near $40. Choose according to your budget.
There is no “best” feel when it comes to pillow inserts. Instead, feel is a matter of personal preference. Some people like a soft insert with a lot of give, while others prefer firm, sturdy support. We included pillow inserts with a range of feels so you can select what suits you best.
You’ll find a range of materials represented here, from 3D polyester and down alternative fillings to 100% cotton covers. The materials in an insert can impact its softness or firmness, its hand feel, and its durability. We included different options to accommodate a range of preferences.
The right size for a pillow insert will depend on its intended function, whether you’ve already picked out a sham in a particular size, and so on. Together, the options on this list include a huge range of square and rectangular sizes, so you’re all but guaranteed to find a size that suits your needs.
Sleepopolis Buying Tips
Trying to settle on the best pillow inserts for you? Consider the following:
- What size do you need? Pillow inserts can be square or rectangular and range from small to oversized. But not all brands will carry all of these options. Determining your sizing needs will help you filter through your options.
- What’s your preferred feel? Do you want a soft, fluffy pillow for decorative purposes or daytime naps? Are you looking for firm lumbar support? Do you want an overstuffed pillow that holds its shape well? The answers to these questions will help you refine your search.
- How many inserts do you need? Some pillow inserts are sold individually, while others come in sets of two or (more rarely) sets of four. If you want multiple pillow inserts, you can save some money by looking for a brand that sells inserts in packs.
The best pillow inserts for you will suit your needs when it comes to sizing, feel, materials, cost, and so on. By thinking about your needs before purchasing, you can reduce the risk of having to exchange the inserts — and increase your chances of enjoying a stylized and more comfortable bedroom.