Purchasing a mattress bag for moving might not be as exciting as upgrading your bed set or transforming your bedroom decor with new decorative pillows. But it’s still important! The right mattress bag for your needs will protect your mattress from rips, stains, and other accidents during transport. Given that mattresses are a big investment, it’s worth going the extra mile to keep yours safe!
While a big plastic bag might seem like a straightforward purchase, there’s actually a lot of variety among these products. To find the best one for you, think about whether you need a bag that’s waterproof, self-sealing, has handles, is reusable, and so on. Then check out our roundup of best mattress bags for moving to get started on your search!
Nordic Elk Mattsafe Mattress Bag
- The bag is made from a tarp-like material that is thick and heavy-duty.
- It has eight handles and reinforced stitching, so you should be able to carry your mattress with ease (and without the handles ripping off).
- The bag zippers on multiple sides to make it easy to insert the mattress and create a full seal.
- The bag is designed to last and be reused, as opposed to being disposed after one use.
- This is a pricey mattress bag.
- The bag isn’t waterproof around the zipper or stitching, so it won’t be ideal for transporting a mattress in rainy conditions.
Eight handles and reinforced stitching make it easy to carry the Nordic Elk Mattsafe Mattress Bag. The bag features a zippered seal and is made from a tarp-like material that is heavy-duty and reusable.
MovingHost Heavy Duty Mattress Storage Bag
- The plastic is thick (the manufacturer says it’s commercial grade) to enhance durability and help protect against tears.
- The bag is designed to be longer than standard mattress sizes so the end flap can double-overlap and fully cover the end of the mattress.
- The manufacturer claims the bag is stain-proof and water-resistant.
- This is a fairly budget-friendly mattress bag.
- The bag doesn’t seal on its own; you’ll have to use packing tape or another material to create a seal.
- Because the bag doesn’t have its own water-tight seal, it’s not 100% waterproof.
Thick, water-resistant plastic increases the odds that the MovingHost Heavy Duty Mattress Storage Bag will keep your mattress safe during transport. The bag features a double-overlapping end flap to fully encase your mattress.
Extra Thick Bag
UltraBlock Mattress Bag for Moving
- This heavy-duty bag is made from 6 Mil polyethylene to help protect against tears and punctures.
- The bag has a closure flap and two wide, self-adhesive closure strips to create a full seal and keep water out.
- The bag is designed to be durable enough that it can be reused. It’s also 100% recyclable for when you’re ready to dispose of it.
- The end of the bag is gusseted, so it’s easier to slide a mattress into it compared to a flat bag.
One possible downside? The bag doesn’t have handles, so you’ll have to hold onto the bag itself.
Heavy-duty plastic and self-adhesive closure strips mean the UltraBlock Mattress Bag for Moving should offer full-coverage mattress protection. The bag is designed for reuse and is 100% recyclable.
CRESNEL Mattress Bag for Moving & Long-Term Storage
- This is a budget-friendly mattress bag for moving. It’s also available in a two-pack, which lets you save a little money on the cost of each bag.
- The bag has a “3D” design in the shape of a mattress, which makes it easier to insert the mattress into the bag.
- The bag is made from thick, 5 Mil polyethylene to help protect against tears and punctures.
- The bag is designed to be longer than standard mattress sizes so the overlapping end flap fully covers the end of the mattress.
- The bag doesn’t have a built-in seal, so you’ll need to use packing tape or another material to seal it off.
- Even though the plastic is pretty thick, it might not hold up to lots of scraping or manhandling.
The budget-friendly CRESNEL Mattress Bag for Moving & Long-Term Storage comes in a one- or two-pack, the latter of which offers an extra price cut. The bag is made from thick plastic and has a 3D design to make it easier to insert the mattress.
How We Picked
The number one factor that we took into account while putting together this roundup of best mattress bags for moving: Is it likely to do the job well? We prioritized bags that are heavy-duty and have a high likelihood of withstanding mattress transport without tearing.
Beyond that, we also considered the following factors.
As a general rule, mattress bags are fairly budget-friendly. But there’s actually a surprising amount of price variation under the “mattress bags for moving” umbrella: Quality bags can range from around $12 to over $40. We included options from across that spectrum so you can find something that suits your needs and your budget.
Every option on this list serves a basic function: It helps protect your mattress from dirt, stains, rips, and other accidents during transport. Beyond that, some bags have more or fewer bells and whistles than others.
For instance, some bags have adhesive seals, while others will need to be taped shut. Some have carrying handles; others require you to grab onto the plastic. Some have gusseted ends to form more of a 3D mattress shape, while others lie flat. Some are more water-resistant than others. And so on!
Depending on your needs and preferences, you might want to prioritize certain features over others. We included a range of options so you can tailor your purchase to your specific needs.
Sleepopolis Buying Tips
Trying to settle on the best mattress bag for your big move? Consider the following:
- Do you want to reuse the bag? If so, look for options that are designed to be durable and long-lasting.
- Do you want handles? Most mattress bags for moving require you to grab handfuls of the plastic in order to transport your encased mattress, while a few come with handles. If you have mobility issues or desire handles for any other reason, this will help you rule out a lot of options.
- Do you want a self-adhering bag? Some mattress bags have an end flap that will need to be closed with duct or packaging tape, while others come with zippers or self-adhering flaps. If it’s important to you that the bag be fully sealed all the way around your mattress, keep this in mind while you shop.
It’s worth taking some time to vet different mattress bags for moving, because the bag you choose will be responsible for keeping your mattress safe during transport. By considering your functional needs, budget, and personal preferences, you’ll soon be on your way to a safe and accident-free move.
Latest posts by Logan Block (see all)
- 25 Days of Giving 2020 – Dreamfoam Mattress Giveaway! - December 25, 2020
- 25 Days of Giving 2020 – Saatva Mattress Giveaway! - December 24, 2020