Yogasleep (formerly Marpac), are known for their high-quality sleep sound machines and uber comfortable Yogabed. The original all-foam Yogabed has become a fan-favorite for its balanced feel and ergonomic support. The brand recently introduced the Yogabed Cool Hybrid, which has pocketed coils for added bounce, support, and breathability.
Wondering if the Yogabed Cool Hybrid is the right fit for you? In this review, I put it to the test, assessing it for feel, performance, and materials. Following these tests, I’ve come up with a few recommendations of which sleepers I think will like this mattress best, and who should look elsewhere. Let’s dive in!
Short on time? Skip down to my review summary.
Is the Yogabed Cool Hybrid a Good Mattress for You?
Whether or not a mattress will suit you depends on factors like your preferred sleeping position, body weight, and whether or not you sleep with a partner or pet. Take a look at some of my recommendations for who I think will and will not like this mattress below.
Who I recommend Yogabed Cool Hybrid mattress for
- I think this Yogabed is a great choice for combination sleepers. It has a medium-firm feel that should feel initially comfortable in any sleeping position, and it has a buoyant, “on top” of the bed feel that makes it easy to switch positions.
- Back sleepers should really like this mattress. It offers a nice mix of support and pressure relief that should feel really nice while laying on your back.
- Hot sleepers will appreciate that this Yogabed mattress sleeps really cool. Though its top layer is made from memory foam (which tends to sleep hot), it’s infused with copper to help dissipate body heat. It also has a layer of pocketed coils for added airflow.
Who I don’t recommend Yogabed Cool Hybrid mattress for
- Stomach sleepers are going to find this mattress too soft for their needs. I’d recommend checking out our best mattresses for stomach sleepers roundup instead.
- Side sleepers, especially those with shoulder or hip pain, should opt for a softer mattress, like one of our best memory foam mattresses.
- Heavy people won’t get the support they need on this bed. I always steer heavier sleepers to our best mattress for heavy people roundup.
How Firm is the Yogabed Cool Hybrid Mattress?
Now that you have an idea of whether or not this mattress will suit your needs, let’s break it down in detail. One of the first things you’ll want to know is a mattress’s firmness level. Keep in mind that firmness is subjective, and will depend on factors like your body type and preferred sleep position. For reference, I’m about 110 lb and a side sleeper.
To help give you the best idea of firmness possible, I polled a range of folks in my office and took an average of our scores.
After spending time lying on this mattress, my colleagues and I decided to give it a 6.5 out of 10 on the firmness scale, with 1 being the softest and 10 being the firmest. The industry standard for medium firmness is 6.5, so this is a true medium-firm mattress.
I definitely felt more “on top” of this bed than “in” it, which can be a good or bad thing depending on your preferences. If you like to feel enveloped and hugged by your mattress, I’d steer you to a different bed, (though you will get some contouring on this bed). However, if you prefer ease of movement on your mattress, the Yogabed Cool Hybrid could be a solid choice for you.
Yogabed Cool Hybrid Mattress Performance
Though firmness is very important, it’s not the only factor you’ll want to consider when choosing a new mattress. You’ll also want to know how it’s going to perform, including how it feels in different sleeping positions, whether or not it relieves pain and pressure, and whether or not it’s a good choice for couples. Take a look at some of my recommendations below.
Testing the Yogabed Cool Hybrid Mattress in Different Sleeping Positions
Sleepers of different weights need different amounts of support. Typically, lighter sleepers need less support than heavy sleepers. Additionally, a mattress will feel somewhat different depending on your preferred sleeping position. Take a look at how I think this bed works for sleepers of three main weight classes.
Is the Yogabed Cool Hybrid a Good Mattress for Light Sleepers (Under 130 lb)?
- Light Back Sleepers – Yup! I think this mattress is a great choice for these sleepers, who will get great spinal support and gentle pressure relief at their lower backs.
- Light Side Sleepers – I think this bed will work for light side sleepers who prefer a firmer feel. Personally, as a light side sleeper myself, I didn’t find this bed soft enough.
- Light Stomach Sleepers – I’d say this bed is just a touch too soft for these sleepers. I’d steer them to a mattress that’s just a bit firmer than medium-firm instead.
Is the Yogabed Cool Hybrid a Good Mattress for Average Weight Sleepers (130 – 250 lb)?
- Average Weight Back Sleepers – Yes! These sleepers should feel the top layer of memory foam contouring to their lower back, while still getting sturdy support.
- Average Weight Side Sleepers – I think these sleepers will do well on this bed, unless they suffer from shoulder or hip pain. If you deal with either type of pain, you’ll want a softer bed that offers more cushioning.
- Average Weight Stomach Sleepers – Average weight stomach sleepers will need a firmer mattress to keep their hips from sinking too far into the bed, which can lead to an uncomfortable curve in the spine.
Is the Yogabed Cool Hybrid a Good Mattress for Heavy Sleepers (over 250 lb)?
- Heavy Back Sleepers – This mattress doesn’t have the level of support that heavy people need. I’d steer them to a mattress that was specifically designed for heavier sleepers.
- Heavy Side Sleepers – See above.
- Heavy Stomach Sleepers – See above.
Yogabed Cool Hybrid Mattress Pain Relief Performance
For a mattress to help relieve pain, it first has to relieve pressure. That means it will alleviate tension at sensitive pressure points at the hips, shoulders, and lower back. A mattress that relieves pressure well will have a combination of support and cushioning.
To measure how well a bed relieves pressure, I use a handy dandy pressure mat. I lay the mat on top of the mattress, and hop aboard. The map records how much pressure my body exerts on the bed and creates a visual map. The map turns blue to green for low pressure, and yellow to red for high pressure.
Back Pain – I think the Yogabed is a nice choice for most sleepers who suffer from back pain. This bed offers some nice support that should help keep sleepers’ spines in a neutral alignment. However, if you’re a stomach sleeper with back pain, I’d opt for a firmer bed that will give more support at the hips.
Shoulder Pain – I think the Yogabed is a good mattress for sleepers suffering from shoulder pain, though I think strict side sleepers with shoulder pain should go for something softer.
Hip Pain – Similar to shoulder pain, I’d recommend strict side sleepers with hip pain choose a mattress with a bit more cushioning.
Yogabed Cool Hybrid Mattress Performance for Couples
If you sleep with a partner, there are a few additional factors you’ll want to consider before purchasing a new bed. You’ll want to know whether or not it absorbs movement, how sturdy its edges are, if it’s a good mattress for sex, and if it sleeps cool. Take a look at how the Yogabed performed in these categories below.
Motion transfer is the movement detectable from one side of the bed to the other. If you sleep with a partner, you’ll want a bed with good motion isolation — that way you won’t feel tossing and turning on your side of the bed.
To measure motion transfer, I used a device called a seismometer. I placed the seismometer on one side of the bed and dropped a 10 lb steel ball from three different heights on the other side of the bed. The seismometer recorded my results, which you’ll find below.
These are okay motion transfer results. They’re not the best I’ve seen, but they are very pretty good for a hybrid mattress, which can tend to transfer movement more easily than all-foam beds. I’d say you’re unlikely to be woken up by some minor tossing and turning on this bed, but might be disturbed by heavier movements.
The best mattress for sex is going to be responsive and have a bit of bounce. These factors make the bed easy to move around on (a necessity for sex). Thanks to it’s “on top” of the bed feel and bouncy innerspring coils, I’d say the Yogabed is a great mattress for sex!
Since two people overheat more quickly than one, couples are going to want to look for a mattress that sleeps cool. The Yogabed Cool Hybrid does just that. It’s polyester cover is nice and breathable, it’s foam layer is infused with cooling copper, and its coil layer promotes airflow. All in all, a great pick for hot sleepers!
Edge support refers to how well a mattress holds up on the edges as compared to the center. A mattress with strong edges can feel larger, as you can stretch all the way out to the side without feeling like you’re going to fall off. This is especially important for couples, who need all the space in bed they can get.
I wasn’t all that impressed with this Yogabed’s edge support. I found the mattress was collapsing beneath me while sitting and lying on the edge of the bed. If you and/or your partner like to sleep on the edges of the bed, I might look for a different mattress.
What is the Yogabed Cool Hybrid Mattress Made Of?
The Yogabed Cool Hybrid is made with a combination of memory foams and pocketed coils. Its foams are CertiPUR-US® Certified, which means they’re free from harmful chemicals and pollutants. Let’s take a look at each layer individually.
Cover – The zip-n-wash mattress cover is made from a combination of polyester and cotton and is removable and machine-washable. It feels nice and cool to the touch. The cover’s zipper is located on the side of the bed, which makes it easy to take off. I loved this touch because most covers zip open on the bottom and are a real pain to get on and off.
Comfort Layer – The top layer of this bed is made of 2 inches of copper-infused memory foam. Though traditional memory foam has a reputation for overheating, the copper infusion helps it sleep cool.
Transition Layer – The second layer of this bed is made of 1-inch of high-density memory foam. This layer acts as a buffer between the softer memory foam above and the pocketed coils below.
Support Layer – Lastly is the base and support layer of this bed, which is made up of 8 inches of pocketed coils. These provide the mattress with sturdy support and keep the sleeping feeling “on top” of the bed.
Yogabed Cool Hybrid Mattress Unboxing and Off-Gassing
The Yogabed Cool Hybrid is a bed-in-a-box mattress, which means it ships compressed in a box and you’ll need to unbox it at home. It may emit a smell as trapped gasses are released from the foam — this is known as off-gassing and you’ll find it in almost all mattresses in a box. I’d recommend leaving the bed in a well-ventilated room for at least 24 hours (48 is better if you can manage) before using it.
And with that, you’ve made it to the end of my Yogabed Cool Hybrid mattress review! Though I can’t tell you if this is the right mattress for you, I’ll leave you with some final key points to help you get there on your own.
My favorite things about Yogabed Cool Hybrid mattress
I really like how cool this bed sleeps! Its cooling foams, breathable cover, and coils create a very cool sleeping experience. I also like this bed’s medium-firm feel, which should appeal to most sleepers and is comfortable in a range of positions, making it a winner for combination sleepers. Finally, the bed’s easily removable washable cover is a nice perk!
My Yogabed Cool Hybrid mattress complaints
One thing I’d watch out for with this mattress is its poor edge support. I didn’t feel very supported on the edges of this bed, which can be an issue, especially if you’re a bigger person or share your bed.
How Much Does the Yogabed Cool Hybrid Cost?
Before you go ahead and say sayonara to your old mattress, you’ll want to take a look at pricing. Below you’ll see how much the Yogabed costs in each size. Be sure to check out our Yogabed coupon page for the latest discounts.
Price listed will be before discount or offer for each size.
Yogabed Cool Hybrid Mattress Policies and FAQs
Does the Yogabed Cool Hybrid have a mattress warranty?
Yes, this mattress comes with a 15-year warranty.
Does the Yogabed Cool Hybrid mattress come with a trial period?
Yes, this Yogabed comes with a 101-night sleep trial.
How does the Yogabed Cool Hybrid ship?
This mattress ships for free and arrives compressed in a box. Yogasleep aims to ship orders within three business days.
What if I don’t like the Yogabed?
If you are unsatisfied with the Yogabed you can return the mattress for free before the end of the trial period and receive a full refund.
Do I need a box spring?
Nope, this mattress can be used on pretty much any bed frame, foundation, or box spring.
Yogabed Cool Hybrid Mattress Vs
It can be helpful to compare a bed to similar options from other popular mattress brands. Take a look at how this Yogabed stacks up to two of its biggest competitors below.
Yogabed Cool Hybrid vs Casper Hybrid
- The Yogabed Cool Hybrid has a similar medium-firm feel to the Casper Hybrid
- The Yogabed has slightly better motion isolation than the Casper Hybrid, which could make it a better option for some couples.
- The Yogabed and Casper Hybrid come at a very similar price point.
- Learn more in my full Casper Hybrid mattress review.
Yogabed Cool Hybrid vs Tuft & Needle Hybrid
- These beds have very similar constructions, but the Yogabed’s coil layer is a bit taller.
- These beds also both feel medium-firm and have a more “on top” rather than “in” the bed feel.
- The Tuft & Needle Hybrid is a bit more expensive than the Yogabed Cool Hybrid.
- Learn more in my full Tuft & Needle Hybrid mattress review.
Other Models from Yogabed
Yogasleep offers one other mattress: the original Yogabed. This bed is similar to the Yogabed Cool Hybrid, but is made entirely of foam. Take a look how the two compare below.
Yogabed Cool Hybrid vs Yogabed
- The original Yogabed is an all-foam bed, and is made of four layers of foam, including proprietary cooling foams and high-density foam. The Hybrid has coils and two layers of foam.
- Though the Yogabed and Yogabed Cool Hybrid both have a similar medium-firm feel, the coils in the Hybrid model add durability. That’s reflected in the original Yogabed’s 10-year warranty vs the Hybrid’s 15-year warranty.
- The original Yogabed is significantly cheaper than the Cool Hybrid.
- Learn more in my full Yogabed mattress review.
Take a look at our mattress performance ratings for the Yogabed Cool Hybrid mattress below.
- Edge Support