A latex mattress topper is a latex product that is placed on top of a mattress to alter its firmness, add pressure relief, provide additional support, and/or enhance airflow. They can be made from natural or synthetic latex and are processed using either the Talalay or Dunlop method. The former creates a softer, bouncier feel, while the Dunlop method often results in a firmer and more durable product. (In general, latex toppers are pretty durable.)
How do you settle on the best latex mattress topper for you? Start by thinking about your sleep needs: Are you looking for a topper that’s soft and pressure-relieving, or one that makes your bed more supportive? Then consider your budget and your preferences when it comes to materials and manufacturing. To get you started, we’ve rounded up some of our favorite options here!
Dreamfoam Bedding Ultimate Dreams Talalay Latex Mattress Topper
- The topper is made from Talalay latex, a natural and fairly sustainable material that’s known for being breathable and helping to dissipate heat.
- The topper is available in three firmness levels (Soft, Medium, and Firm), so you can choose according to your sleep style and comfort preferences.
- It’s 3 inches thick, so it offers some room to sink into the topper and enjoy some pressure relief (especially on the softer models).
- It’s encased in natural bamboo fabric, so the whole product is made from natural materials.
- The topper is pretty pricey, and it won’t be accessible to all budgets.
- Some users have reported that the topper starts to sag a bit after extended use.
Talalay latex makes the Dreamfoam Bedding Ultimate Dreams Talalay Latex Mattress Topper both natural and breathable. The topper is available in three firmness levels and encased in natural bamboo fabric.
Contender and Best Medium Firm
Pure Green 100% Natural Latex Mattress Topper – Medium Firm
- The topper provides medium-firm support to help shore up a sagging or un-supportive mattress.
- It’s made from 100% natural latex and doesn’t use synthetic latex or fillers. The topper is Greenguard Gold Certified and OEKO-TEX certified, which means it meets certain safety and environmental standards.
- The topper is available in many thicknesses and sizes, so you can tailor it to your needs and preferences.
- The topper seems to be slightly smaller than standard bed dimensions, so it might not cover the full surface area of your bed.
- While the latex foam is supposed to be breathable, some people might find that the topper can still sleep a little hot.
Enjoy added support with the medium-firm Pure Green 100% Natural Latex Mattress Topper. It meets safety and environmental standards and is available in many thicknesses and sizes.
Best Latex Foam
ViscoSoft Pillow Top Latex Mattress Topper
- The topper is made from gel-infused latex foam, which is soft and somewhat supportive. The gel infusion also helps protect against heat trap.
- It comes with a 1-inch down alternative cover that’s soft, plush, and machine-washable.
- The latex foam offers some body contouring and also does a good job of bouncing back to its original shape when not in use.
- The topper is made in the USA.
- The topper is fairly expensive and won’t suit all price points.
- It’s not generously sized, and you might find that it doesn’t quite cover the full surface area of your bed.
The gel-infused latex foam in the ViscoSoft Pillow Top Latex Mattress Topper is soft, supportive, and helps defend against trapped heat. The topper is made in the USA and comes with a 1-inch down alternative cover that adds extra plushness.
Take Ten Certified Organic 100% Natural Latex Mattress Topper
- The topper is made from 100% natural latex that’s vegan and certified organic by the USDA and Global Organic Latex Standard (GOLS). It’s also OEKO-TEX Standard 100 certified (meaning it’s free of certain harmful chemicals) and made using a carbon neutral manufacturing process.
- The topper comes with a removable, 100% organic cotton cover that’s Global Organic Textile Standard (GOTS) certified.
- The topper is available in several sizes and thicknesses, so you can customize it to your sleep needs.
- Given the quality of the materials, this is a surprisingly budget-friendly topper.
- The mattress might off-gas for a bit after it arrives.
- The 3-inch version might be a little shorter than 3 inches.
The Take Ten Certified Organic 100% Natural Latex Mattress Topper features organic latex and a removable organic cotton cover. It’s available in several sizes and thicknesses and is relatively budget-friendly.
Best Soft and Best Bargain
Pure Green 100% Natural Latex Mattress Topper – Soft
- The pressure-relieving topper is available in lots of sizes and thicknesses, so you can tailor it to your mattress and sleep style.
- It’s made from 100% natural latex. The manufacturer says they don’t use any synthetic latex or fillers.
- The latex foam is open-celled, which allows for airflow and helps the topper stay temperature neutral.
- For the quality, this is a relatively budget-friendly topper.
One possible con? The topper can off-gas for up to a couple weeks before the odors fully dissipate.
The soft and pressure-relieving Pure Green 100% Natural Latex Mattress Topper offers extra comfort for a relatively budget-friendly price.The topper features open-celled latex foam to help dissipate heat.
How We Picked
We used several criteria to vet the contenders for this roundup. Here’s an overview of the factors that we took into consideration.
A quality latex mattress topper can range in price from around $150 to over $400. That’s a big range! We included options from all across that spectrum so you can find something that aligns with your budget.
Some people want a latex topper to add softness and pressure relief to their mattress, while others are looking for extra support. We included both soft and medium-firm options so you can tailor your choice to your sleep needs.
Whenever possible, we prioritized options that adhere to safety and/or environmental standards in their manufacturing processes. Most of the choices on this list feature natural materials and/or materials that have been certified by different health and/or environmental standards, such as OEKO-TEX Standard 100, Global Organic Textile Standards, and Global Organic Latex Standards.
Of course, all of these toppers share latex in common. But the materials used can still vary widely. For instance, some use Talalay latex, some use latex foam, and so on. Additionally, some of the options on this list come with covers, which range in materials from bamboo to organic cotton or down alternative.
The materials used in a topper can affect its feel, temperature regulation, and so on. We included different options so you can choose what suits you best.
Sleepopolis Buying Tips
Trying to settle on the best latex mattress topper for your needs? Ask yourself the following:
- Do you want pressure relief or support? If the former, look for a topper that’s on the softer side and is tall enough to allow for some sinkage and body contouring. If the latter, consider options that bill themselves as firm or medium-firm and supportive.
- What are your preferences when it comes to materials? A latex mattress topper will have latex in it; that’s a given. But you’ll still want to consider whether you want natural latex, latex foam, and so on. Also think about whether you have strong feelings when it comes to eco-friendly credentials and the materials used in a cover. (Not all toppers come with a cover, but some do.)
- What’s your budget? Latex toppers can range pretty widely in terms of price, so clarifying your budget can help you rule out a bunch of options.
The right latex mattress topper can dramatically improve your sleep by tailoring the feel of your mattress to your sleep style and preferences. That means it’s worth taking the time to do your research before committing to a new topper. By considering your needs, budget, and preferred materials, you’ll be well on your to finding the topper of your dreams.