When it comes to adjustable base beds, the sky’s the limit, so to speak. You can adjust the base of the bed to suit your individual preferences and needs. We feel it’s an excellent customizable option for sleepers looking for the best position and angle to make them rest more comfortably.
In this review, I’ll be taking a deep dive (and hopefully, a deep sleep) into the Purple Ascent Adjustable Base. Purple says this adjustable base improves sleep quality and comfort. From an anti-snoring mode that may quiet your noisy bed partner to a zero-gravity option that makes you feel near weightless in bed, it sounds like the Purple Ascent Adjustable Base may be the answer to your dreams. In fact, Purple promises that once you experience this adjustable base, “you’ll never go back to your old bed frame.”
But is it really a dream come true, or perhaps too good to be true? I put the Purple Ascent Adjustable Base to the test to help find out. In this Purple Ascent Adjustable Base review, I’ll cover everything you need to know to determine whether this is the right adjustable base for you.
Keep reading for the full review or you can skip down to the review summary if you’re in a rush.
Purple Ascent Adjustable Base Video Review
Editor’s Note: The Purple Ascent Adjustable Base is an upgraded version of the now discontinued Purple Power Base.
What is the Purple Ascent Adjustable Base Made Of?
The frame is made of steel and has a modern design with slate grey upholstery. It also comes with nine-inch natural finish wood legs. Although a bit of a minimalist look, I found the materials to be high quality.
How Do I Assemble the Purple Ascent Adjustable Base?
The good news is that no tools are required. Since the frame is heavy though, you’ll want to grab someone else to help you. To give you an idea of just how heavy, a queen size weighs about 120 pounds.
Clear out the space where you want to assemble the bed frame and remove the parts from the box. The frame will be folded inside the box. Take it out and remove the plastic. Then flip it upside down.
Locate the wooden legs in a separate box. Take the wooden legs and twist them into each corner. Carefully turn the frame so it’s right side up again.
The frame comes with a power cord. Plug it into the box at the head of the frame and into the wall. Put the mattress retainer bar into the foot of the base that keeps your bed in securely.
Look for the remote and the batteries that come with it. Put in the batteries and make sure the remote is working properly. Voila! You’re ready for the mattress to go on top.
All said and done, it took two of us about 12 minutes to put the Purple Ascent Adjustable Base together.
So to recap:
- Clear out the area where the bed is to be assembled
- Remove parts from box
- Remove plastic from frame
- Flip frame upside down
- Locate wooden legs
- Twist wooden legs into each corner
- Carefully turn frame so it’s right side up
- Plug power cord into the head of the frame and the wall
- Put the mattress retainer bar into the foot of the base
- Locate remote
- Put batteries in
- Check to ensure remote is working ok
Setup takes about 12 minutes in 12 easy steps!
How Does the Purple Ascent Adjustable Base Work?
The Purple Ascent Adjustable Base allows you to customize the position of your bed frame. It fits into the footprint of many existing bed frames so if you like the look of your current frame, you may be able to fit this adjustable base inside it.
Also something to note — this adjustable bed frame does not come with a headboard. You are able to purchase ascent headboard brackets from Purple for $69.
You’ll control the Purple Ascent Adjustable Base through a remote that comes with several preset options, two of which are reprogrammable so you can customize the angle to your liking and go back to your favorite positions.
What Are the Purple Ascent Adjustable Base’s Features?
The remote comes with eight preset buttons. Here’s a rundown of how they work.
The sitting preset option allows you to sit up in bed at just the right angle for working or reading. It is customizable so if you want to adjust the angle, you’re able to do so and can save your preferred setting. Just adjust the head and foot section to your preferred position and hold the sitting button down for five seconds. The new position will be saved so you can easily return to it later.
With the anti-snore preset option, you can lift your head to an angle that enables you to get more air into your lungs and helps you breathe easier to reduce your snoring. Like the sitting preset, this button is also customizable.
The zero gravity preset gives you a near weightless or floating feeling while you’re in the bed. This position is scientifically angled for comfort. Unlike the other presets, the zero gravity feature is not customizable.
Not in the mood for anything fancy? The one-touch flat position preset gives you the option of reverting back to a flat surface with the simple touch of a button.
Head Up/Down, Foot Up/Down
You can adjust the foot or head of the bed by using the up and down buttons.
Side Selector Switch
If you have a partner you are sharing the bed with, you are unable to split the bed into different positions unless you have a split king mattress and buy the split king size frame. The side selector switch allows you to control what size of the bed you want to adjust. However, this feature only works with the split king size adjustable base.
Ready to head to bed but your phone is about to die? You’ll probably want to make sure it’s charged so your alarm wakes you up in the morning. The Purple Ascent Adjustable Base makes it easy to keep your phone by your side. With built-in USB ports on each side, you can keep your phone charged well into the night, while also freeing up your wall outlets for other devices.
Is the Purple Ascent Adjustable Base Good for You?
I found the Purple Ascent Adjustable Base kept both me and my mattress well supported. It was quiet and easy to operate. However, it may not be for everybody. I’ll explain more below who this adjustable base may work well for and who may want to opt for something else.
Who Should Buy the Purple Ascent Adjustable Base
- Sleepers who want to customize – With several customizable presets, most people will be able to find sitting, sleeping, and resting positions that work best for them. If you want to save a specific position so you can return to it later, you can easily override the presets. It’s also good if you want to reduce your snoring or a partner’s snoring to sleep more soundly during the night. I found the presets comfortable and easy to use. I also appreciated how quietly the base operated as it changed positions.
- Sleepers who prefer a modern design – This adjustable base has a sleek and modern look. But even if you prefer another style, this adjustable base can fit within most bed frames.
- Heavier sleepers – If you’re a heavier sleeper or a sleeper who is looking for extra support, this adjustable bed base utilizing a supportive steel frame would likely work well for you. Purple says the base can support up to 750 pounds.
Who Shouldn’t Buy the Purple Ascent Adjustable Base
- Budget shoppers – The price for this adjustable base may be more than what a budget shopper wants to pay. But the good news is that with sales and our coupons throughout this review, you should be able to find a good deal.
- Sleepers looking for simplicity – If you’re only looking to be able to raise or lower your bed, then you may not want or need the Purple Ascent and its extra features. Take a look at our roundup of the best adjustable beds for more options.
- Some couples – Unless you buy the split king size, you and your partner will not have the option of having your own adjustments for your side of the bed.
Anything Else I Should Know?
- Weight Capacity — 750 pounds maximum weight capacity
- Made — in the USA
- Adjustable height — the Ascent adjustable base is 12.1 inches tall, allowing for that amount of under-bed storage. It comes with 9-inch wooden legs that are not adjustable.
- Warranty — 10-year limited warranty
- Remote Control — has eight features; batteries are included
- Return Policy — returns or exchanges are not accepted; bed frame accident protection is available
- Sizes — Twin XL, Queen, King, Cal King, Split King
- Pricing — $1,399 to $2,798
Do I have to buy a specific mattress to use with the Purple Ascent Adjustable Base?
No, a specific mattress is not required. However, you should ensure that the mattress you’re using is compatible with an adjustable base. Check the manufacturer specifications.
Can I return the Purple Ascent Adjustable Base?
No, returns or exchanges are not accepted. However, you are able to purchase bed frame accident protection and it comes with a 10-year warranty.
Does the Purple adjustable base vibrate?
The Purple Ascent does not come with a vibrating feature.
How tall is the Purple Ascent Adjustable Base?
The Purple Ascent Adjustable Base is 12.1 inches tall.
Can a Purple mattress be put on an adjustable base?
Yes, a Purple bed can be used with the Purple Ascent Adjustable Base, like the original Purple mattress or one of the hybrid mattresses. However, it is not compatible with the Purple Rejuvenate, Purple Rejuvenate Plus, or Purple Rejuvenate Premier mattress.
Where can I purchase the Purple Ascent Adjustable Base?
You can buy it and other Purple products from Purple or on Amazon.
Senior Product Editor
Bridget is a Certified Sleep Science Coach and senior editor here at Sleepopolis. From testing mattresses to writing about various sleep health topics, her goal is to help you get a good night’s sleep. You can also find her in videos on our YouTube channel. Bridget graduated magna cum laude from San Diego State University with a degree in journalism and a minor in English. Before joining the Sleepopolis team, she was a TV news reporter and worked in cities across the country. She loves spending time outdoors, checking out new restaurants, snuggling with her pets, and of course — getting some quality Zzz’s.
World Class Features, But Pricey
The Purple Ascent Adjustable Base is a well-rounded, multi-functional, adjustable bed base built for the sleeper who is looking to get a little more out of their bed frame. With several features, including pre-programmed incline/decline, an anti-snore feature, and a zero-gravity preset, the Purple Ascent Adjustable Base is able to meet the needs of a wide variety of sleepers. If you’re in the market for a new adjustable bed, but don’t know where to look, the Purple Ascent Adjustable Base is a great option to consider.