Everybody could use a sturdy, quality bed frame. However, most bed frames are constructed with weight limits, which aren’t always high enough to support heavier people. Maximum weights for bed frames can range from 200 pounds to over 1,000 pounds, so the right option for you will depend on your weight and whether or not you’re sharing the bed with a partner.
Bed frames for heavier people are out there, though — they’re durable and built for a certain maximum weight. Keep an eye out for durability based on a frame’s construction materials — hardwood, steel, and iron frames may be your best bet.
If sifting through all the bed frame options on the market sounds daunting to you, don’t worry, we’ve done the work. Our team researched all of the options, looking at construction materials, weight capacity, user reviews and even testing some of them ourselves. Ready to find your ideal bed frame? Let’s get into it.
Best Bed Frame for Heavier Person 2024
- Thuma The Bed – Best Overall
- Helix Wood Bed Frame – Best Assembly
- Brooklyn Bedding The Frame – Best Value
- Layla Bed Frame – Best Support
- Zinus Smart Base – Best Adjustable
Thuma The Bed – Best Overall
Thuma Bed Frame
The Bed by Thuma is the company's platform bed frame. It's gained popularity for its sleek, modern design and how easy it is to assemble. It comes in multiple colors in either a PillowBoard or Headboard model.
4.90 / 5Read Full Review
This wooden bed frame can support up to 1,500 pounds, making it ideal for heavy individuals or couples. It is easy to assemble, thanks to its use of Japanese joinery. It has a modern and high-end look that can easily fit with any interior decoration. The frame is made of sturdy hardwood, and you can choose between a PillowBoard model or a Headboard model.
Where this bed frame really shines is its construction. It’s made of handcrafted, repurposed rubberwood for extra durability. The legs of the bed also come with cork padding, so it won’t scratch your floor as you’re getting in and out of bed.
What Customers Say
Customer reviews often highlight this bed frame’s premium look and ease of assembly. Many reviews noted how they found the bed easy to put together and the ease of assembly was a major selling point, in addition to the high-quality materials.
Pros of the Thuma Bed Frame
- It’s very easy to assemble because of its Japanese joinery.
- It looks premium and sleek while being sturdy and durable.
- It’s very customizable: it has four color options, and you can choose between a real wood headboard or a soft PillowBoard that functions like a removable headboard.
Cons of the Thuma Bed Frame
- This frame has little underbed storage.
- It is expensive compared to other frames.
Helix Wood Bed Frame – Best Assembly
Helix Wood Bed Frame
The Helix Wood Bed Frame comes in two colors and is made with hardwood and pine slats. It assembles easily without tools, thanks to Japanese-style joinery.Read Full Review
This sturdy bed frame can support over 1,000 pounds with little noise. It’s a great option for heavy individuals or couples looking for a bed frame that won’t give them issues. This frame is made from Appalachian maple and poplar wood, hardwoods that are known for their strength and durability. And the slats are made from 100 percent yellow pine. The Japanese joinery works so that the wood fits together instead of using metal metal hardware, which can easily break or come loose. Keep in mind that there’s not much storage space under the bed and that the design is quite minimalistic.
What Customers Say
Customers often talk about this bed frame’s durability and sturdiness. They also note in their reviews that it is easy to put together, but that some of the pieces aren’t flush when fitted together. Some also noted the frame creaking.
Pros of the Helix Bed Frame
- It is very durable.
- It is easy to assemble, thanks to its simple design.
- It is made with hardwoods, which Helix says are sustainably sourced.
Cons of the Helix Bed Frame
- There’s not much room for storage under the bed.
- It doesn’t come with a headboard.
Brooklyn Bedding’s The Frame – Best Value
Brooklyn Bedding The Frame
Brooklyn Bedding's The Frame is an easy-assembly metal frame that is made from reclaimed railroad tracks and can support up to 2,500 pounds.Read Full Review
This metal bed frame is simple to assemble, thanks to its modular design, saving you time and effort if you need to move. It is made of recycled railroad tracks and comes with plastic legs. However, this frame requires an extra box spring or foundation, the latter of which you can order from Brooklyn Bedding. A massive plus to this bed frame is that it can support around 2,000 pounds. It’s also a very affordable option, coming in at around $200. Keep in mind that there’s not much under-the-bed storage.
What Customers Say
Customers often highlight how easy this bed frame is to assemble and disassemble.
Pros of the Brooklyn Bedding Bed Frame
- It is very sturdy – capable of supporting around 2,000 pounds of weight.
- It’s very affordable – $200 for a queen size.
- It’s smooth and creak-free.
Cons of the Brooklyn Bedding Bed Frame
- If you don’t already have one, you must purchase a box spring or foundation to set up this frame.
- Its plastic legs are less durable than other materials.
Layla Bed Frame – Best Support
Layla Bed Frame
The Layla Bed Frame is a simple steel frame that's easy to assemble. It requires an additional base or box spring.
This bed frame is made of steel with fiberglass-infused resin legs that make it durable. Thanks to its modular design, you can assemble it in under a minute without special tools. It can support up to 2,500 pounds of weight, making it a great fit for heavier folks. And its subtle design means it can easily blend in with any interior. Reviewers say that this bed frame is super sturdy, so it’s a great option if you toss and turn a lot.
What Customers Say
Customers often talk about this bed frame’s ease of assembly and affordability. Some reviewers also noted the frame isn’t noisy when moving around. Another reviewer highlighted how the frame doesn’t have any sharp corners — a benefit to those who might run into their frame in the dark.
Pros of the Layla Bed Frame
- It is affordable, priced around $200 for a queen size.
- It is easy to assemble.
- It has a sturdy build, made with steel and fiberglass-infused resin legs.
Cons of the Layla Bed Frame
- You must pay extra for a box spring or foundation.
- It doesn’t have a premium look — its minimal look blends in rather than creating a statement.
Think the Layla Bed Frame could work for you? Get our best deal here.
Zinus Smart Base – Best Adjustable
Zinus Smart Base
Zinus has designed their Smart Base with intentions of providing consumers with a cheaper, yet dependable option for a bed foundation.Read Full Review
This bed frame is made entirely of steel, making it sturdy and capable of supporting up to 4,400 pounds of weight. It raises your mattress 14 inches above the ground and provides 12.5 inches of underbed storage space. It’s not stylish and sleek; the focus is on simplicity, and it does its job well for an affordable price. It passed all of our durability tests, too. We shook it, flopped on it, and even hit the leg with a hammer (it did bend but didn’t break), so we think it passed with flying colors.
What Customers Say
Customer reviews often highlight this bed frame’s simplicity and affordability. Customers also appreciate in reviews how much room there is for storage underneath the frame.
Pros of the Zinus Smart Base
- It is very affordable, especially for an adjustable option.
- It is sturdy and durable, meaning it can easily support heavy sleepers’ weight.
- It provides a lot of underbed storage.
Cons of the Zinus Smart Base
- It often squeaks under heavy weight.
- Mattresses easily slide around the frame.
What to Look for In A Bed Frame for Heavier People
Buying a bed frame is an important decision that greatly affects your sleep quality – so you probably don’t want to purchase it on the fly without thinking about materials, price, weight capacity, and more. Here are a few considerations to keep in mind:
Weight capacity is the primary factor heavy individuals or couples should look for in a bed frame. Your frame must be sturdy and capable of supporting your weight with little or no stress. Otherwise, the frame won’t last long. When looking at weight capacities, remember to also include the weight of your mattress.
Ideally, look for a frame with a considerably higher weight capacity than the weight of you and your mattress. If you are too close to the weight capacity, the frame may not hold up for as long.
Your bed frame should be made of strong, durable materials. Metal bed frames are stronger and usually last longer than wooden ones. However, they tend to have less interesting design and quality than wooden frames. If design’s important to you, you’ll want to strike a balance between durability, design, and quality.
Slats are the foundation attached to the bed frame to support the mattress. If your bed frame comes with slats, check that the slats are made of durable materials that can support your weight without hassles. If it doesn’t come with slats, ensure you look at durability and material quality when buying a separate box spring or foundation.
Look for a bed frame size you’re comfortable with. If you have limited space in your bedroom, a compact bed frame is your best option. If you have ample space, you can choose a large bed frame that won’t cramp your bedroom space.
Who wants to spend a whole Saturday trying to install their new bed frame? Nobody, which is why we recommend looking for one that’s as easy to install as possible. Many of the frames on our list can be assembled in under five minutes.
Look for a bed frame that doesn’t squeak or make high-pitched noises under heavy weight. Unfortunately, metal frames are more vulnerable to noise than wooden frames, but you can still find some metal frames with little noise.
Bed frames come in different variants. Some come with slats, while some don’t and instead require a box spring. Some have headboards, while some don’t. Some are sleek-looking, and others are simple and minimalistic – what’s right for you will come down to your overall style and preferences.
Wood vs Metal Bed Frames
Most bed frames are made of either wood or metal. Each type of bed frame has its advantages and disadvantages, which we’ll examine below.
Pros of Wood Bed Frames
- Aesthetically pleasing for many shoppers: Wooden frames are more likely to look sleek and attractive in a bedroom.
- Durability: Wooden frames are usually durable and long lasting.
- Variety: You can find more varieties of wooden bed frames than metal ones.
Cons of Wood Bed Frames
- Can be more expensive: Wooden frames are usually more expensive than metal ones.
- Can be heavy: Wooden frames are heavier than metal frames, making them harder to assemble and disassemble.
- May need more maintenance than other frames: Wood cracks and wears out more easily than other types of frames, making it require more maintenance.
Pros of Metal Bed Frames
- Durability and weight: Metal frames are very durable despite their light weight.
- Price: Metal frames are more affordable than wooden frames because of the cheaper cost of materials and production.
- Convenience with easy assembly and care: Metal frames are easier to assemble because of their light weights and modular design.
Cons of Metal Bed Frames
- Fewer design and style options: You’ll find fewer options and varieties for metal frames than wooden ones.
- Can be noisier: Metal frames make more noise under heavy weight than wooden frames.
- May require a box spring or foundation: Many metal frames don’t come with slats, meaning you’ll have to pay extra for a box spring or foundation.
What type of bed frame is best for a heavy person?
A strong metal bed frame is best for a heavy person because they are more durable and can withstand greater weights than other types of frames.
Are platform beds good for heavy people?
Yes, platform beds are good for heavy people because they spread the weight around a flat surface, unlike beds with individual slats that can easily break under heavy weight.
What is the maximum weight a bed frame can hold?
Bed frames have no standard maximum weight. It depends on the materials used in making the frame and how well-built it is. The manufacturer will usually list the frame’s maximum weight capacity. The frames on our list range from 1,000 to over 4,000 pounds in maximum weight.
How can I make my bed frame hold more weight?
You can make your bed frame hold more weight by adding a center support, using bolts instead of screws to join it together, and adding more bed slats than the standard recommendation.
Best Bed Frames for Heavier People 2024
|Thuma The Bed
|Check Coupons Page
|Helix Bed Frame
|Brooklyn Bedding’s The Frame
|Brooklyn Bedding Coupon
|Layla Bed Frame
|Review Coming Soon
|Zinus Smart Base
|Check Coupons Page
Senior Staff Writer
Amelia is a Senior Staff Writer for Sleepopolis. She primarily covers bedding and sleep accessory products in reviews, how-to guides, and more. You can also find her over on the Sleepopolis YouTube channel. Amelia is a graduate of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, with double majors in media and journalism and in dramatic art. Outside of work, Amelia can usually be found on a hike, traveling to a new city, or at her local thrift store.