If you’re in the market for a new toddler bed, then you’re probably feeling the pressure. Not only do you have to accommodate your child’s preferences (which might be totally different from yours!), but you also have to think about things like safety, durability, and materials. And then there’s the endless pressure from social media to be the “perfect parent” — whatever that means!
So how do you filter through all the noise to find the best toddler bed for your needs? Start by ruling out any options that aren’t designed with safety in mind, and then think about your aesthetic preferences, budget, and functional needs. Then consult this list to narrow in on some stellar options.
Delta Children Canton Toddler Bed
- The bed is tested for lead and other toxic substances. It meets or exceeds ASTM and CPSC safety standards.
- The classic design should mesh with most bedrooms.
- The bed is low to the ground and has guardrails for extra safety.
- It’s only available in two colors (white and cherry), so it’s not super customizable.
- The weight limit is only 50 pounds, so it’s not ideal for larger toddlers or for hanging out with your child.
Strong safety standards and a classic design earn the Delta Children Canton Toddler Bed the title of Editor’s Choice. A low-lying design makes it easy for your child to get in and out of bed on their own.
Dream On Me Classic Design Toddler Bed
- It’s available in a wide range of colors, so you can customize it to your and your child’s tastes.
- The bed sits low to the floor and features side safety rails to help prevent accidental falls.
- It meets ASTM and CPSC safety standards and is tested to be free of BPA, latex, lead, and phthalates.
- The bed weighs only 16 pounds, so it’s easy to maneuver around the bedroom or during a move.
- The manufacturer says the bed can only accommodate up to 50 pounds, so it’s not necessarily sturdy enough for multiple family members or larger children.
- Some people might find that the directions are a little hard to follow, so it can take a while to assemble.
The lightweight Dream On Me Classic Design Toddler Bed is easy to maneuver and comes in a range of colors to suit your and your child’s preferences. Strong safety standards help keep your kiddo sleeping safe and sound.
Best Bunk Bed
Storkcraft Caribou Twin Bunk Bed
- A full-length guardrail around the top bunk helps protect against accidental falls.
- The frame is made from dense rubberwood and composites, which promotes sturdiness and durability.
- The bunk bed can be converted into two twin beds, so you can tailor it to your circumstances as needed.
- The bed is compliant with ASTM and CPSC safety standards and uses non-toxic finishes.
- This is pricier than many toddler beds, and it won’t be in everyone’s budget.
- Depending on your experience, assembly might take a while — perhaps as long as a few hours.
Sturdy and durable materials comprise the Storkcraft Caribou Twin Bunk Bed, which also uses non-toxic finishes. A full-length guardrail helps protect from top-bunk falls.
Best Convertible Bed
Dream On Me Emma 3-in-1 Convertible Toddler Bed
- The bed can be converted into two child-sized chairs and a table, so it can evolve along with your child’s needs.
- It’s available in six colors, so you can customize it to your child’s bedroom and color preferences.
- The bed meets ASTM and CPSC standards and is free of BPA, latex, lead, and phthalates.
- The bed sits low to the floor and has guardrails to promote safety.
- The bed’s weight capacity is only 50 pounds, so it’s not super sturdy and won’t accommodate larger children.
- It can be challenging and time-consuming to assemble.
When your child outgrows the Dream On Me Emma 3-in-1 Convertible Toddler Bed, simply turn it into two chairs and a table. A choice of six colors lets you customize the bed to your home’s decor.
Best for Travel
- The travel bed weighs less than 2.5 pounds and folds down small enough to fit into a carry-on bag, which makes it very portable.
- The lightweight mesh cover promotes airflow and doubles as a screen that helps keep out insects when your child is sleeping outdoors. The bed also offers UV protection.
- It’s available in multiple bright colors so you can choose according to your (and your child’s) preferences.
- The bed passes CPSC testing protocols.
- It’s on the smaller side and will probably only be comfortable for younger and/or petite toddlers.
- It can be challenging to fit the folded bed back into its carrying bag.
Naps on the go have never been easier than with the KidCo Peapod. The lightweight and portable toddler bed travels easily and includes a number of thoughtful features such as UV protection.
DaVinci Sleigh Toddler Bed
- At full price, this offers some of the best value for the money — without sacrificing safety standards. It meets both ASTM and CPSC standards and is free of lead and phthalates.
- It’s available in three classic colors (Espresso, Grey, and Cherry).
- The bed sits low to the floor and has side rails for extra safety.
- Assembly can be challenging and time-consuming.
- Some users have reported that certain colors don’t perfectly match their online photos.
Save money without sacrificing safety with the DaVinci Sleigh Toddler Bed. The bed features a timeless design and is available in three classic colors.
How We Picked
When you’re dealing with any product that will be used by children, safety has to be the highest priority. So we eliminated a lot of options that didn’t meet or exceed safety standards put forth by ASTM International (formerly the American Society for Testing and Materials) and/or the Consumer Products Safety Commission (CPSC).
The ASTM standards focus on the materials used in toddler beds, while CPSC standards address issues relating to component failure and entrapment, such as the risk of getting trapped between guardrails or in the end structures of a bed.
Another consideration when it comes to safety is whether the bed has guardrails, so we prioritized bed designs with this safety feature.
Beyond safety, we also considered the following factors.
There are a lot of toddler beds with wilder designs than what we chose here. Many of them feature popular characters from kids’ movies and TV shows. While those can certainly be appealing to kids, we chose to focus on more timeless designs. That way, odds are good that your child will be happy to use the bed for longer.
For the most part, we also chose beds that come in a variety of colors. You can still choose a colorful option even if it’s not decked out in Disney characters!
Toddler beds can range pretty widely in price from under $70 to over $200. You can find decent options that meet safety standards at either end of the spectrum. We included options from across that range so you can choose what best suits your budget.
Sleepopolis Buying Tips
When zeroing in on the best toddler bed for your needs, consider:
- How old is your child? Many of these toddler beds have weight limits, so different options may be more or less appropriate depending on your child’s age and size. Before purchasing a bed, make sure you’re aware of how much weight it can accommodate.
- What are your functionality preferences? Do you want a bunk bed that can accommodate two children? Do you want a convertible bed than can be turned into other furniture when your child grows out of it? Consider your functional needs to narrow down your list of options.
- What are your (and your child’s) aesthetic preferences? Do you like the look of a sleigh bed? Is it imperative that the bed be a certain color? Strong stylistic preferences can help guide your decision.
Choosing the right toddler bed (not to mention assembling it!) can be a time-consuming process. But if you prioritize safety and consider your child’s size, the functions you need, and your aesthetic preferences, you’ll quickly narrow down your search. And don’t forget to invest in a quality toddler mattress along with the bed!
Latest posts by Logan Block (see all)
- Best Comforters - October 12, 2019
- Interview with Nolah Mattress Founder Daniel Galle - August 29, 2019