For this review, I’m doing something a little different. Instead of assessing a traditional bed-in-a-box, I’m going to be taking a look at the 5 Little Monkeys mattress, a bed designed specifically for children transitioning out of the crib and into their first “big kid” mattress.
While this bed is unlike other ones I’ve seen, I’m still going to put it to the test to figure out how it feels and sleeps to see if it might just be the perfect mattress for your little one!
Continue reading below for my full review of the 5 Little Monkeys mattress. Don’t have time to read it all? Click here to skip to the bottom and check out my review summary.
This mattress is built with three layers of foam, stacking up to a total 8” of comfort. The combination of materials is intended to create a gentle, balanced feel well-suited for a child’s small frame, while also being supportive enough to accommodate growing pains as they get older.
Now let’s dive into each of these different layers.
Cover – The cover is made of organic cotton, resulting in a soft and cozy feel. It’s also removable, stain-resistant and machine washable, which means that if your little one has an accident in the middle of the night, you’ll be able to clean it up with ease.
Comfort Layer – Built with 4 lb. gel memory foam, the comfort layer is super dense and has a slow response to pressure, which allows the sleeper to sink in for some satisfying relief. While memory foam has a bit of a reputation for overheating, the gel infusion here helps to keep things nice and cool.
Transition Layer – To ensure that your child doesn’t sink too far into the mattress, 5 Little Monkeys placed a layer of responsive foam right below the memory foam. Though this section has a quicker response to pressure than the one above, it’s still incredibly soft as the support layer was designed with small children in mind. Regardless, the material will help gradually transition the sleeper into the firmer base below.
Foundation Layer – Composed of high-density poly foam, the base of the bed provides the structure with its shape and durability, an important feature considering how active kids can be. This bed was designed to last through adolescence, so is built to withstand a lot!
Normally, I’d flesh out this section by examining all the various components of the bed’s feel, including pressure relief, motion transfer and sinkage. However, since this bed has such a demographic-specific design (in that it’s only intended for kids from the ages of 5 to about 13), I don’t think those tests would be useful.
Instead, I’ll point out a few of the characteristics that could make it a solid “first bed” for kids ready to leave the crib and transition into something more grown-up.
- Soft Feel – As I mentioned up top, the bed has a very pleasant soft feel to it. As I pressed my hand into the structure, I found that I was immediately interacting with the dense gel memory foam in the comfort layer. The material cozily hugged my hand, providing me with some nice cushiony relief.
- Size – The bed also only comes in a Twin or Full Size, so it won’t be too intimidating for a little tyke’s first big kid bed, but will still provide plenty of room to grow.
- Subtle Transition Layer – While “adult” mattresses typically feature a firm transition layer to help ease the sleeper into the bed’s foundation, the middle section here is light and buoyant. This is for a very simple reason: kids weigh less than adults, so they don’t need the same support that their older counterparts do.
Technically, 5 Little Monkeys sells its mattress as part of an overall Sleep System intended to improve every aspect of a little sleeper’s slumber. So, whenever someone buys one of the beds for their kid, they’ll also receive the following items:
- Mattress Protector – Waterproof, allergy-proof and washable, the mattress protector is meant to safeguard against untimely nighttime restroom accidents. They’re sure to happen, but this will hopefully make clean-up a whole lot easier.
- Pillow – The Sleep System is rounded out by a small pillow specifically engineered for kids. It features an organic cotton cover and is the perfect size for kids 5 and up.
- Storage Tote – To keep all of these disparate parts together, the brand also supplies each system with a handy bag for storage.
- Stuffed Monkey – And finally, your little one will also receive a cute stuffed monkey!
I should note that we set our 5 Little Monkeys mattress on the brand’s platform foundation, which isn’t included in the Sleep System (it costs an additional $169). Assembly was super easy and only took a few minutes.
- Sleep Trial: 100 days.
- Warranty: 15 years.
- Shipping: Free, arrives compressed in a box.
Just getting started? Begin your mattress search with my mattress reviews breakdown.
SIZE AND PRICING INFORMATION
If you’re convinced the 5 Little Monkeys is the right mattress for you, the size and pricing information for the mattress are below. Please note that these prices reflect standard pricing, but you can save $25 on your purchase with the coupon code SLEEPOPOLIS!
|Twin||39" x 75" x 8"||$499|
|Full||54" x 75" x 8"||$799|
|Queen||60" x 80" x 8"||$899|
Finding the perfect first “big kid” bed for your child can feel overwhelming, but it doesn’t have to be. As you begin your search, stay on the lookout for ultra-soft foams as they’ll be able to better support your child’s light frame. You’ll also want to ensure that the bed is durable enough to hold up through marathon jumping sessions and pillow fights. And finally, you’ll want it to sleep cool, so find a bed designed with temperature regulation in mind.
In my opinion, the 5 Little Monkeys mattress checks all these boxes with its gentle comfort and transition layers, solid foundation and cooling gel-infused memory foam.