If you’re in the market for a new dog bed, start your research sitting down — because otherwise, you might be bowled over by the sheer number of options available. Dog beds come in all kinds of different shapes, colors, materials, and styles, and the benefits they promise can vary widely. So how the heck do you find the right option for Fido?
To answer that, you’ll need to think carefully about your dog. Do they have joint issues? Look for an orthopedic bed. Do they get hot easily? Consider an elevated option. Do they have frequent accidents? Then a waterproof, machine washable cover is a must. Also consider your own preferences: Do you want eco-friendly materials? Are you looking to match a particular decor? Answering these questions will help you narrow in on the perfect bed for your best friend.
Best Friends by Sheri Calming Shag Vegan Fur Donut Cuddler
- The round shape and fluffy material provide a comforting sleep space for dogs who like to curl up for napping. It also has crevices meant to support burrowing.
- Because of the round shape and crevices, the bed helps retain body heat. This makes it ideal for colder spaces and dogs who prefer to sleep warm.
- The bed is machine washable and dryer-friendly. It also has a water-resistant bottom to help protect against accidents.
- The manufacturer claims this bed has orthopedic features that offer extra joint support.
- Because it’s designed to trap body heat, it may not be ideal for dogs who tend to sleep hot or live in warmer climates.
- The bed may not hold up to chewing and digging. Clumps of fabric may “shed” off the bed when dogs dig into it with their claws.
Dogs of all sizes can enjoy curling up in the Best Friends by Sheri Calming Shag Vegan Fur Donut Cuddler, which encourages burrowing and retains heat to enhance dogs’ security while napping. The water-resistant bottom and machine-washable design make it easy to clean up accidents.
Friends Forever Faux Fur Dog Bed
- The raised rim and plush synthetic fur provide comfort, warmth, and security for dogs who prefer to sleep curled up.
- The bed is machine washable and dryer-friendly.
- The bed is lightweight with a reinforced bottom, which makes it easy to transport between living spaces.
- Donut designs can retain a lot of body heat, so this might not be a good option for dogs who sleep hot.
- It’s designed exclusively for small- and medium-sized dogs and only comes in two sizes, so it won’t be suitable for larger breeds.
Plush comfort awaits small- and medium-sized dogs in the Friends Forever Faux Fur Dog Bed. The lightweight, machine-washable design makes this bed easy to transport and care for.
K&H Pet Products Original Pet Cot Elevated Pet Bed
- The material is water-resistant, durable, and tested for strength. This should be a longer-lasting dog bed, especially because the company sells replacement covers — so you don’t have to replace the entire bed if the cover wears out.
- Breathable mesh keeps your dog cool and helps repel bacteria, mildew, moisture, mold, and odors.
- The cover is removable and washable. You can also clean it more quickly with a damp cloth or hose.
- Tool-free assembly is fast and easy. The same goes for disassembly, which makes this a very portable bed. It’s effective for use both at home and while traveling, camping, and so on.
- When it first arrives, the fabric might have an unpleasant odor. It might need to off-gas for a few days before the odor dissipates.
- While the bed is designed to hold up to 150 pounds, larger dogs might cause the cover to sag more quickly than lighter-weight dogs.
Your dog can comfortably lounge indoors and outdoors on the K&H Pet Products Original Pet Cot Elevated Pet Bed. Breathable mesh keeps your dog cool, while the durable construction holds up to years of use.
The Original Elevated Pet Bed by Coolaroo
- The durable frame is lightweight and portable, so you can easily move the bed indoors and outdoors without undue wear and tear.
- The fabric is lead- and phthalate-free, which is safer for your dog and the environment. It’s also GREENGUARD Certified (which means it has low chemical emissions), and the manufacturer says the material is resistant to fleas, mites, mildew, and mold.
- The bed raises your dog more than 7 inches off the ground, which promotes air flow on all sides and helps keep them cool.
- The bed comes in three sizes and five different color options, so you can personalize it to your dog and decor.
- If the frame is regularly exposed to water and not dried off, the screws may rust. This can weaken the frame.
- Some users have reported that the fabric doesn’t hold up to scratching and may start to sag after extended use.
The Original Elevated Pet Bed by Coolaroo elevates your dog more than 7 inches off the ground, which promotes air flow on all sides and keeps them cool indoors and out. Durable, eco-friendly materials are safer for your dog and the environment.
Furhaven Pet Dog Bed Ergonomic Luxe Lounger
- The contoured, medical-grade foam provides ergonomic support, and the rectangular design accommodates different sleep positions.
- The cover is removable and machine washable, and it’s designed with durability in mind thanks to overlock safety stitching.
- The bed is available in eight colors and six sizes, so there should be an option for every dog and home.
- The foam is CertiPUR-US certified, meaning it’s made from non-toxic materials.
- The bed is unlikely to hold up to excessive chewing.
- The cover isn’t waterproof, so it’s not ideal for dogs who have frequent accidents.
Provide arthritic dogs and picky sleepers with ergonomic support in the Furhaven Pet Dog Bed Ergonomic Luxe Lounger. The rectangular design comes in many sizes, so even large dogs should be able to comfortably stretch out on this CertiPUR-US certified foam bed.
PetFusion Ultimate Dog Bed
- The base is made from four inches of memory foam, which offers contouring and support to reduce pressure on joints.
- The cover is designed to be both tear- and water-resistant, and it’s washer- and dryer-friendly. The company sells replacement covers so you don’t have to replace the whole bed.
- The bed’s cover fabric is certified “Skin Contact Safe,” and the bed passess European REACH safety standards.
- Large and jumbo sizes make this suitable even for extra-large dogs.
- At around $120 for a large size, this is not for the budget-conscious.
- It can be challenging to zipper the liner around the memory foam once the foam has fully expanded. Also, the zipper may be prone to failure.
The contouring support of memory foam and a “skin contact safe” cover mean your dog might be inclined to lie on the PetFusion Ultimate Dog Bed all day long. The tear- and water-resistant cover should ensure this bed holds up to years of use.
Brindle Waterproof Designer Memory Foam Pet Bed
- The stylized finishings and contemporary color options mean this bed will blend with modern living spaces.
- The bed is made from 2 inches of memory foam and 2 inches of high-density support foam, which offers contouring and supportive comfort.
- The manufacturer claims the inner encasement cover is 100% waterproof, which protects the memory foam from accidents and spills.
- The zippered cover is removable and machine washable.
- The bed is not chew-proof, and the thin cover might not stand up to lots of scratching.
- The inner cover is not removable, so you can’t check the memory foam for stains or mildew.
Stylish design and clean, modern lines make the Brindle Waterproof Designer Memory Foam Pet Bed a good match for modern decor. Two inches of memory foam promise contouring support.
Blueberry Pet Heavy-Duty Pet Bed
- With eight color and style options to choose from, it should be easy to customize this bed to your home’s decor.
- The covers are removable, machine washable, and dryer-friendly.
- The cover’s microsuede fabric should stand up well to light scratching.
- The soft sides provide your pooch with a place to comfortably support their head.
- Removing and reattaching the covers before and after washing can be a cumbersome process.
- The size options probably won’t be large enough for large or extra-large dogs.
Plush sides and microsuede fabric offer comfort and support in the Blueberry Pet Heavy-Duty Pet Bed, which comes in eight snazzy color options. Machine-washable and replaceable covers ensure this bed will hold up over the long term.
P.L.A.Y. Pet Lifestyle and You Eco-friendly Lounge Bed for Dogs
- The bed is designed with safety and the environment in mind. The cover is hypoallergenic; the zipper is lead-free; and the bed is filled with PlanetFill fiber made from 100% recycled, certified-safe plastic bottles.
- Quality construction and durable materials mean this bed should stand up to years of use.
- The removable cover and cushions are machine washable and dryer-friendly.
- A huge variety of colors let you customize the bed to your home’s decor.
- At nearly $200 for a large or extra-large size, this is not a fit for all budgets.
- The denim cover may not be soft enough for all dogs’ liking, so you might need to add a softer throw on top.
Eco-friendly, hypoallergenic materials and durable construction make the P.L.A.Y. Pet Lifestyle and You Eco-friendly Lounge Bed for Dogs safe for long-term use (and explain its high cost!). The stylish design includes a huge range of color options, so you can tailor the bed to your home.
MidWest Homes for Pets Deluxe Pet Bed
- At less than $15 for a 24-inch bed, you’ll be hard pressed to find a cheaper option.
- The bottom of the bed boasts “no-slip” material that should keep it stable on wood or tile floors.
- The bed is machine washable and dryer-friendly.
- It’s sized to fit most standard dog crates, so it should provide your dog with a full range of comfort while crated.
- Even though the bed is available in a variety of sizes, it may be best suited to small breeds and might not hold up as well under the weight of heavier dogs.
- Some users have reported that the bed flattens quickly. You might need to wash and fluff this bed every few weeks for it to retain its loft.
For those who care most about price, the MidWest Homes for Pets Deluxe Pet Bed offers simple construction and effective support at a very low cost. The bed fits easily into most crates and features a slip-proof bottom for stable sleeping.
How We Picked
The sheer number of dog beds on offer is enough to overwhelm even the most dedicated dog parent. To narrow down the list of options, we considered the following factors.
The materials in a given bed — which can range from memory foam to microsuede, microfiber, recycled materials, faux fur, and CertiPUR-US certified foams — can have a big impact on the look, feel, and durability of a bed. We included beds made from a variety of materials so you can choose what’s right for you.
Dog beds vary wildly in cost from less than $15 to over $200. In many cases, you get what you pay for — but there are plenty of decent options under $200, so don’t despair if you’re working on a tighter budget. We included beds with a range of prices to suit different budgets.
Different dog beds are designed with different purposes in mind. For example:
- Donut dog beds are about creating a safe, comforting sleep space for dogs who like to sleep in a ball.
- Elevated dog beds are intended for dogs who sleep hot and need extra air flow to stay comfortable.
- Orthopedic dog beds are designed for dogs with joint issues or other conditions that might be aggravated by sleeping on a hard surface. They offer contouring support to keep your dog comfortable.
We included multiple options from each of these categories (and others) to help you choose a bed with the right function for your needs.
No shape is inherently better than another, but certain shapes will be better for your dog.
For instance, donut beds are perfect for dogs who sleep curled up, while rectangular options are ideal for dogs who like to spread out while they’re sleeping. If your dog gets anxious easily, a bed with raised sides might help them feel more secure. If they have mobility issues, tall sides might make it hard for them to get in and out of the bed.
We chose beds in a variety of shapes so there’d be something for virtually every dog preference.
Because dog beds are often on display within the home, many people consider the aesthetics of a bed in relation to their home’s decor. We included beds in a lot of different styles and several beds with a huge range of colors to choose from.
Sleepopolis Buying Tips
Before settling on the right dog bed for your BFF, consider the following:
- How does your dog like to sleep? This will help you determine whether they’d be happier with a donut or rectangular bed. If they sleep curled in a ball, they’ll probably prefer a donut. If they like to stretch out, opt for a rectangular bed.
- Does your dog have particular needs? If your dog has arthritis or joint issues (or they’re about to go through surgery), then an orthopedic option is probably best. If they’re prone to overheating, consider an elevated bed. If they often have accidents, look for an option with a waterproof cover.
- Do you prefer certain materials? Some dog parents will want a bed made from eco-friendly materials and/or materials that are certified as being safe for skin contact. The materials used in a bed can also affect its aesthetic, which is another factor that you might want to consider.
When it comes to dog beds, there’s enormous variety in uses, materials, construction, styles, prices, and so on. The good news is this roundup will make the search much easier. Consider your dog’s sleep style and needs along with your preferences for materials and aesthetics, and you’ll be equipped to hone in on the best dog bed for your pal.
Latest posts by Logan Block (see all)
- 25 Days of Giving 2020 – Dreamfoam Mattress Giveaway! - December 25, 2020
- 25 Days of Giving 2020 – Saatva Mattress Giveaway! - December 24, 2020