Wedge pillows are designed to help with all sorts of issues – back pain, acid reflux, discomfort during pregnancy, snoring that keeps your spouse awake, or even worse: a stuffy nose that’s keeping you awake. Wedge pillows, unlike a stack of conventional pillows, provide a gradual enough incline that they won’t agitate your neck. Coming in different sizes and shapes, it’s good to educate yourself on what the best wedge pillow is for your specific needs.
MedSlant Wedge Pillow
- With a 1,000 night warranty, buyers can comfortably take this pillow for a test run before really committing.
- Comes with a machine washable and dryer friendly pillow cover.
- If the 7” rise is too low, it’s easy to place a regular pillow on top of it, elevating it when needed, making it a good choice for those who don’t know what rise they’ll prefer on their wedge pillow.
- This pillow ships in tightly compressed plastic and needs time after it’s unpacked to regain its normal shape. It won’t be useful for those who are in a rush to use their wedge pillow.
This pillow was created by an acid reflux sufferer who couldn’t find the wedge pillow that was just right for her - so she made her own! With that in mind, this pillow has a 7” rise, and is just the right elevation for side sleepers.
InteVision Foam Bed Wedge Pillow
- This pillow has an easy to remove machine washable cover. InteVision also sells separately an accompanying Egyptian cotton pillowcase for those that want a touch more luxury.
- Given the high 12” rise of this pillow, it may be especially useful for sleepers who find it physically difficult to get in and out of bed.
- The layer of memory foam combined with the pillow’s case makes for a breathable pillow overall, so there’s no risk of overheating.
- Some sleepers may find the 12” rise too high — especially side sleepers. If you are a side sleeper, a wedge pillow with a lower rise may be a better choice.
- This pillow is best for those needing a firmer, more supportive place to rest. Sleepers who like to sink into a very soft pillow will be disappointed.
Featuring a two-inch layer of memory foam, InteVision’s Foam Bed Wedge Pillow, this pillow is great for any issues that get in the way of a good night’s rest. This is a good wedge pillow to consider if you need a higher rise on your wedge pillow, as it clocks in at a 12” rise.
Best for Side Sleepers
FitPlus Premium Wedge Pillow
- The softer density of the memory foam ensures that this is a comfortable pillow for side sleepers.
- Comes with a 2 year warranty, so you can buy with confidence.
- This pillow is 15” wide, while the others we reviewed are between 24” and 28”, making it a great option for those who don’t want their wedge pillow to take up the whole bed.
- The cover, while machine washable, is on the thinner side to maintain breathability, and some sleepers may want a sturdier cover.
High-density memory foam wraps around this pillow, making it best for sleepers who love to sink into bed. At 15” wide, it’s a better size for sleepers looking to relieve specific areas of their body or elevate feet and knees.
Best for Pregnancy
Hiccapop Pregnancy Maternity Pillow
- The Hiccapop Pregnancy pillow has a soft side and a firm side to accommodate the unique needs of pregnancy.
- The pillow has a perforated lining to allow maximum breathability.
- The size of the pillow makes it portable, and it comes with a handy travel bag.
- This pillow is multifunctional – great for between the knees for side sleepers and under the knees for back sleepers. It also can be used for the lower back while sitting on the couch or sitting up in bed.
- This pillow is best for pregnant women who don’t move around much in their sleep and who side sleep, otherwise it’ll be useful while falling asleep, but not when turning sides, as it doesn’t wrap around the body.
Wedge pillows for pregnancy differ from the other wedge pillows on the market - they’re smaller and designed to support pregnant bellies while sleeping. The Hiccapop Pregnancy Maternity Pillow is 13” wide and has an elevation of 4”.
Best Wedge Pillow for Leg Elevation
The Cushy Form Leg Rest Pillow
- This leg rest pillow is perfectly supportive — not too hard or too soft, taking a lot of pressure off tired legs.
- This pillow is sturdy — it won’t roll around on your bed if you move in your sleep.
- It comes with a washable soft cover, which is extra useful when dealing with a product that will have feet on it.
- Because this product is meant to raise both legs, it’s not the best option for those looking to support only one leg at a time.
- Side sleepers will have a hard time adjusting to this pillow, as it’s meant to be used lying back down.
The Cushy Form Leg Rest Pillow is our pick for the uniquely shaped pillow needed to elevate legs and feet. It’s great for the couch or bed, wherever a pick-me-up is needed.
How We Picked
Wedge pillows vary greatly in purpose. Many people use wedge pillows for a variety of reasons. As a result, there are many different sizes to serve different purposes. It’s important for shoppers to specify just what it is they’re looking for in a wedge pillow, then it’ll be easier to narrow it down by size.
As with size, softness or firmness matters a lot depending on the purpose of the wedge pillow. It will also depend on what you prefer – just like mattresses, some prefer firm, and some prefer soft. It’s important for a sleeper to find their wedge pillow comfortable so that it’s helping their sleep instead of hurting it.
Ease of use
Some may want to transport their pillow between the bed and the couch, and it’s important that the pillow isn’t too heavy and hard to move around. It’s also important for some that the wedge pillow comes with a removable cover to be able to easily wash or change.
Wedge pillows can be pretty expensive or more wallet-friendly, and in some cases that will determine the quality of the pillow. However, some sleepers only need a wedge pillow for a short period of time to address a specific concern, in which case it’s not always necessary or wise to spend a lot of money on a pillow that you won’t be using for that long.
Sleepopolis Shopping Tips
Trying to decide which wedge pillow is best for you? Here are some of our tips:
- Determine what you need the wedge pillow for, and that will help you determine which one is best to buy. There are so many on the market that it’s easy to get overwhelmed, but if you are specific about what you need it for, you can quickly decide.
- When trying to figure out if you prefer a softer or firmer wedge pillow, think about how you prefer your mattresses and conventional pillows, and that will help you decide.
- What size is your bed or couch that you’ll be using the pillow on? It’s important to measure and make sure your wedge pillow will fit comfortably on it.
Wedge pillows serve such a wide variety of uses and there are so many on the market. Take your time to find the one that’s right for you and your unique needs. In the end, the comfort you’ll feel will be worth it!
Latest posts by Logan Block (see all)
- 25 Days of Giving 2020 – Dreamfoam Mattress Giveaway! - December 25, 2020
- 25 Days of Giving 2020 – Saatva Mattress Giveaway! - December 24, 2020