We’ve already talked about some of the best blue light-blocking glasses on the market, but if you need a little convincing before you make a purchase, or if you want to convince someone that no, really, these new glasses of yours are absolutely not nerdy, we’ve got you covered. Here are the top 3 reasons why you—and your haters—should think about buying a pair.
- They can reduce eye strain. Working with a computer or smartphone all day can cause problems ranging from neck problems to carpal tunnel syndrome, and it probably won’t surprise you to learn that spending a long time staring at a screen can cause eye strain. One of the reasons for this is the bright blue light they emit. Using blue light blockers will reduce eye fatigue and the things that come along with it, like headaches and blurred vision.
- They might slow or prevent age-related macular degeneration. More research still needs to be done on this, but some preliminary studies indicate that, because blue light penetrates your eye all the way to the retina, blue-light blocking glasses can mitigate damage that will cause problems later in life.
- They’ll help you sleep better. What, you thought a post on Sleepopolis wasn’t going to talk about sleep? Exposure to too much blue light too late in the evening can have a serious effect on your circadian rhythms by slowing or completely stopping the production of melatonin—the chemical in your brain that tells your body it’s time to go to bed. Experts recommend turning off all devices that give off blue light at least two hours before bed, but we all know that’s not always possible, so to avoid the negative side-effects of late-night blue light exposure, blue light blockers are a must.
Still worried after all that that you’re going to look like a total nerd in your blue light blockers? Not to worry. As their use becomes more common, they’ve become easier to camouflage. Check out our post here for a couple of options—some even prescription!—that you can wear without anyone knowing.
Jillian Ashley Blair Ivey
Latest posts by Jillian Ashley Blair Ivey (see all)
- Best Night Lights You Can Buy Online - March 14, 2018
- Luxury Sheet Brand Cloudten Announces FuturePay Installment Option - March 6, 2018