If you’ve been dealing with a bed bug infestation or you’re at risk for one, a bed bug mattress cover can be a godsend. When they do their job well, these covers help contain bed bugs so they can’t escape from your mattress and into bed with you. They might also offer protection from dust mites, bacteria, and other allergens and/or provide waterproofing that protects your mattress from spills and other accidents.
Sound compelling? Narrow down your search by taking into account your budget, functional needs, materials preferences, mattress size, and so on. Then check out our roundup of best bed bug mattress covers to identify a cover that will meet your needs. And if you’re in serious need of help with getting rid of bed bugs, be sure to check out our roundups of best bed bug sprays and traps.
PlushDeluxe Premium Zippered Mattress Encasement
- The mattress protector promises protection from bed bugs, dust mites, allergens, and bacteria. It features an invisible zipper with a velcro flap on all six sides to create a double barrier.
- The manufacturer says this is 100% waterproof while still being breathable.
- The cotton terry surface is soft to the touch. It’s also free of PVC, phthalates, and vinyl.
- The mattress cover is machine washable and dryer-friendly.
- The cover is fairly thin, so it’s hard to say whether it will be durable over the long-term.
- The cover is a little noisy and stretches tight over the bed, so it could change the feel of your mattress a bit.
An invisible zipper and velcro flap help keep out bed bugs, dust mites, and allergens from all sides of the PlushDeluxe Premium Zippered Mattress Encasement. The cover is machine-washable and free of PVC, phthalates, and vinyl.
joluzzy Zippered Mattress Protector
- The mattress cover zippers closed on all six sides to provide protection from bed bugs, dust mites, and other allergens.
- The surface of the cover is made from 100% cotton, so it’s soft to the touch and quiet. It’s also free of PVC and vinyl.
- The mattress cover is machine-washable.
- The manufacturer claims the cover is 100% waterproof.
- Some users have reported the zipper is prone to breaking over time.
- Some users have shared that the cover runs a little large, so double-check your measurements before ordering.
Enjoy six-sided protection from bed bugs, dust mites, and other allergens with the joluzzy Zippered Mattress Protector. The cover’s surface is made of 100% cotton, so it’s soft and quiet.
Evolon Zippered Mattress Encasement
- The cover is made in the U.S. using a relatively eco-friendly manufacturing process.
- The fabric is free of PVC and doesn’t undergo chemical treatments at the end of the manufacturing process.
- The fabric is fairly quiet and breathable.
- The cover is machine washable and dries quickly.
- The fabric has a “papery” feeling that might not appeal to everyone.
- The fabric isn’t very stretchy, so getting the cover around the mattress can be a challenge.
The Evolon Zippered Mattress Encasement is made in the U.S. with an eco-friendly manufacturing process. The fabric is free of PVC, quiet, and fairly breathable.
SureGuard Mattress Encasement
- The mattress cover features a super-fine zipper and what the manufacturer calls “SureSeal” technology to ensure the cover is completely sealed off from bed bugs on all sides.
- The top of the cover is made from 100% cotton terry, which is breathable and soft to the touch.
- The cover is free of PVC, phthalates, vinyl, and fire retardants. It’s also GREENGUARD Gold certified, meaning it meets certain safety and environmental regulations.
- The cover is on the pricier side and might not jive with all budgets.
- Some users have reported that the zipper isn’t super durable and might not hold up to long-term use.
Unique design features ensure a strong seal around the entirety of the SureGuard Mattress Encasement. The cover is GREENGUARD Gold certified, which means it meets safety and environmental standards.
Bedsure Waterproof Mattress Encasement
- This is a relatively budget-friendly bed bug mattress cover, especially for the value.
- The six-sided cover completely encases the mattress to help protect against bed bugs, dust mites, and so on.
- The cover comes in several sizes and depths, so you can tailor the fit to your mattress.
- The manufacturer claims the cover is 100% waterproof.
- The cover is not very breathable and might make your bed hotter than it would be without the cover.
- Because there are so many sizing options, it’s easy to end up with a mattress cover that’s too baggy. Make sure you measure carefully before ordering.
Enjoy protection from bed bugs at a budget-friendly price with the Bedsure Waterproof Mattress Encasement. The six-sided cover comes in several sizes and depths, so you can tailor it to your mattress.
How We Picked
Obviously, any bed bug mattress protector worth its salt needs to offer legitimate protection from bed bugs. Beyond that, we considered the following factors to craft this roundup of bed bug mattress covers.
Because bed bug mattress covers tend to fit tightly and aren’t the easiest to put on and remove, you probably won’t want to wash your cover all that frequently. But you will want to clean it occasionally, and when that happens, we think it should be easy to do. So whenever possible, we prioritized covers that are machine-washable and dryer-friendly.
In addition to providing protection from bed bugs, all of the covers on this list offer other functions. For instance, they might help protect against dust mites, bacteria, and other allergens. They might also be waterproof to help protect your mattress from spills and other accidents. You should be able to address multiple needs with any of these covers.
Since you won’t be sleeping directly on top of the mattress cover, you might not care how it feels. Or you might care a lot! We included several options that are soft to the touch in case that’s a priority for you.
We considered the quality and safety of materials while putting together this list. That means we looked for mattress covers that are free of potentially harmful chemicals such as PVC or phthalates. Whenever possible, we also prioritized options that meet safety and/or environmental regulations.
Sleepopolis Buying Tips
Trying to settle on the best bed bug mattress cover for your needs? Consider the following:
- Do you want extra functionality? Is your sole concern bed bug protection, or do you also need waterproofing to protect against accidents? Determining your functional needs will help you know what to prioritize when vetting different options.
- What’s your budget? Decent bed bug mattress covers can range in price from around $30 to over $50. That’s not a huge range, but it’s worth considering whether you need to stick to a certain price point.
- What size is your mattress? Bed bug mattress covers can be sized in different ways, from a simple Twin/Queen/King breakdown to specific measurements and depths. Knowing your mattress’s size will help you find an option that’s sized appropriately.
A functional bed bug mattress cover helps you rest easy knowing that creepy-crawlies won’t wind up in bed with you. To find the best cover for your needs, think about the functionality you require, your preferred hand feel or materials, your budget, and the size of your mattress. These factors will help you zero in on a cover that works.