Is it about time to replace that old mattress? The brand new Hyphen mattress has arrived and intends to fill the gap in your bedroom. Hyphen is a division of the veteran, Diamond Mattress, who has been manufacturing mattresses for over 70 years. Does Hyphen have what it takes to kick your old mattress out? Keep reading below to find out!
The Hyphen mattress is an all foam, 10″ mattress constructed with 3 separate layers of foam.
- Top layer (cooling & comfort) – 2″ of custom Hyphen foam. This top layer is designed to provide the contour and cooling for the mattress. The custom poly foam Hyphen uses helps pull heat away from the sleeper, keeping the surface cool.
- Middle layer (support & pressure relief) – 2″ of transition support poly foam. The middle layer provides both support and pressure relief for the sleeper. Additionally, this layer acts as a transitional layer for the top and bottom layers, providing a balanced feel throughout the mattress.
- Bottom layer (foundation) – 6″ of high-density support foam. The bottom layer acts as the foundational support for the mattress as well as the deep compression support.
The cover of the Hyphen mattress is made up of a combination of polyester and spandex. The mixture of these two materials makes for a responsive cover as well as a stretchy cover. The cover can be tugged and pulled from several different angles and it will return right back to its original shape almost immediately. The cover design also aids in its breathability. It’s not tremendously thin, but thin enough to allow air to easily make its way in and out of the mattress. This plays a role in maintaining a cooler sleeping surface.
Aesthetically, the Hyphen’s cover is quite unique. Their blue, grey, and white color scheme helps make the mattress standout. While several companies have adopted the more basic, white and grey design, Hyphen decided to steer away from the norm. Their cover embodies an all grey wrap that meets a white and blue bar in the middle of the mattress. Personally, I’m a fan of Hyphen’s simple, yet creative cover.
Additionally, the cover is hypoallergenic and machine washer / dryer friendly. Sleepers have the ability to fully unzip, remove, and wash the cover. This could be a major benefit for those sleepers who encounter frequent spills, do not want to spot clean, or simply want to wash their cover on a more regular basis.
Firmness, Feel, & Support
On a scale of 1-10, where 10 is the most firm, the Hyphen mattress lands at a 6 out of 10. Hyphen’s goal with this mattress was to meet the needs of a vast majority of sleepers with a universal comfort feel.
The feel of this mattress is different that a good number of others I have tested. Upon initial contact with the mattress, I was welcomed with a nice balance between sinkage and hug. In addition, I felt immediate pressure relief throughout my body. The Hyphen did a good job of absorbing large amounts of pressure my joints tried to create.
The support of this mattress was another positive. After sleeping primarily on my stomach and side, I am able to say the Hyphen fully supported me and provided consistent spinal alignment during my sleep tests. My wife tends to sleep on her back and relayed the same sentiments.
She also added that the mattress did a great job contouring to the lighter areas (arms, head, lower legs) of her body just as it did for the heavier areas (hips, torso, chest).This is perhaps the most impressive attribute of the Hyphen. Most mattresses that are soft enough to allow for pressure relief on lighter weights usually also have support issues. The Hyphen is able to create pressure relief even with just a few pounds of pressure, while still providing a consistent and easy transition into the more supportive areas of the mattress for the heavier sections of your body.
Overall, I found the body-contouring, support, and pressure relief of the Hyphen mattress to be exceptional.
Response time and bounce were other notable traits portrayed by the Hyphen. As an all foam mattress, I typically would expect to see a slightly slower response time than latex, coil, or hybrid mattresses. That was not the case with this mattress. Hyphen was quick to respond to both small and large amounts of pressure without any trouble. Along with the quick response time was a nice level of bounce.
Between the above average level of bounce and response time, this mattress can be great for those looking to spice things up in the bedroom, but still want the contouring pressure relief of an all foam mattress. Amorous activities are much more enjoyable with the added bounce and faster response time of the Hyphen.
Next up, motion transfer. Overall, the Hyphen does a solid job of handling motion transfer. I tend to be a much lighter sleeper, waking up at most any sound or movement. While the motion transfer was more than you’d get with a classic high-density memory foam it wasn’t bad by any stretch, especially considering the relative level of bounce and response.
Finally, cooling. Long story short, the Hyphen mattress does extremely well in terms of airflow and breathability. Not once did I feel warm or as if the mattress was trapping any body heat. The top layer of custom foam works to pull heat away from the sleeper, helping to keep the temperature of the sleeping surface in check.
My only complaint with the Hyphen mattress was edge support. Sitting or sleeping directly on the edge of the mattress isn’t all that great. If you’re sitting on the absolute edge you will see a collapse of the foams support structures. If you’re 2-3″ from the edge you should be fine for sleeping, but as you get closer than that you’re likely to feel a collapsing of the foam.
One side note about Hyphen, they actually create and manufacture their own mattress. There is no middle man. As a division of Diamond Mattress, they were able to develop a design and use their own factory to produce the mattress. Being able to build their own mattress helps them to hit an impressive price point and improve quality control.
All mattress reviews on Sleepopolis go through a short series of sinkage tests. These tests are deigned to provide you with insight on how the mattress will perform under various conditions.
- Lying on back – while lying on my back with all of my weight spread evenly across the mattress, I saw 1-1.5″ of sinkage.
- Lying on side – as I rolled over to my side, I saw 1-1.75″ of sinkage.
- Sitting on the edge (conservative) – while sitting on the edge with my butt slightly back on the mattress, I saw 3.5″ of sinkage.
- Sitting on the edge (aggressive) – in more aggressive sitting position with all of my weight directly on the edge, I saw 4.5-5″ of sinkage.
- Standing in the middle – with all of my weight at one point on the mattress, I saw 5-5.5″ of sinkage.
Keep in mind, sinkage results may vary based on body weight and body type. As a reference point, I weigh 140 pounds.
- Shipping – free, compressed in a box, arrives in 2-5 business days
- Warranty – 20 years
- Trial Period – 100 nights
- Discounts – save $50 with code “SLEEP50“
- Weight – Queen size mattress weighs 66 pounds
- Made in the USA
I would recommend the Hyphen mattress to sleepers who:
- Want a medium feel – the Hyphen comes in at a 6 out of 10 on the firmness scale, where 10 is the most firm. This mattress was designed to meet the needs of most sleepers.
- Want exceptional pressure relief – the top two layers of the Hyphen provide an exceptional level of pressure relief. The mattress does a great job absorbing pressure and creating a comfortable sleeping surface. The mattress is soft enough to relieve pressure points, but still firm enough to maintain solid support.
- Want an above average level of bounce – as an all foam mattress, the Hyphen has a surprisingly good level of bounce. Bounce goes hand-in-hand with response time, meaning this mattress also responds to pressure without hesitation. The added level of bounce and a quicker response time makes amorous activities much more enjoyable.
- Want a balanced level of sinkage – the Hyphen has the ability to contour to both the heavy and light sections of your body. The level of sinkage is balanced all throughout the mattress. For example, both your arms and your hips will experience similar depths of sinkage and contour, even though they are typically dramatically different weights.
- Want to buy direct from the factory – very few online mattress companies own their own factories, Hyphen as a division of Diamond Mattress is able to send mattresses direct from their factory. This allows them to sell at an impressive price point and have tighter control over materials and quality.
Questions or comments? Please drop me an email via my contact form.
If you’re looking for a little more information on the Hyphen mattress, visit HyphenSleep.com.