Are you a fan of all natural latex mattresses, but just can’t seem to find the one that works for you and your budget? Well today may be your lucky day. It’s time to say hello to the Sleep On Latex mattress!
Sleep On Latex produces all natural latex mattresses and toppers that are surprisingly budget-friendly. Does the price reflect the quality of this mattress or will is it one that will knock our socks off? Continue reading below to find out!
Don’t have time to read the full review? Click here and enjoy the ride down to the review summary.
The Sleep On Latex 9″ mattress is a 100% natural latex mattress made from 3 separate layers.
- Top layer (comfort & cooling) – 1″ of quilted wool. The wool adds a degree of softness to the mattress, but its main job is to act as a heat insulator, preventing heat from being absorbed into the foam layers. The wool also acts as a natural fire barrier.
- Middle layer (support & comfort ) – 2″ of natural Dunlop latex. This layer of Dunlop works to provide the initial level of support and comfort for the sleeper. Additionally, this layer acts to transition sleepers into the firmer and more supportive base layer.
- Bottom layer (foundation & support) – 6″ of natural Dunlop latex. The bottom layer of this mattress acts as the foundational base for the mattress. This layer also provides the deep compression support for sleepers.
The cover of the Sleep On Latex mattress is constructed from a 100% organic cotton exterior and quilted with an interior layer of New Zealand wool. The organic cotton gives the cover a softer feel while the wool helps to regulate body temperatures. As a natural temperature regulator, the interior wool lining helps to insulate the foam from outside heat sources, working to maintain a cooler sleeping surface.
Lastly, the wool also acts as a natural fire barrier. The wool layer allows the Sleep on Latex to not have to use any type of chemical fire retardant or fire sock.
By combining the organic cotton with the wool, the cover of the Sleep On Latex mattress is able to keep the sleeping surface soft and cooler. Additionally, the wool adds a degree of durability to the cover by creating a thicker build overall. The extra inch of wool may not seem like a big deal, but adding an inch of material to a cover certainly gives it a stronger build quality and overall feel.
Aesthetically speaking, the cover of this mattress is rather simple. An off-white color scheme wraps the entire mattress and is broken up every few inches by cleanly stitched dividing seams.
Firmness, Feel, & Support
The Sleep On Latex 9″ medium mattress brings home a 6-6.5 out of 10 on the firmness scale, with 10 being the most firm. As noted before, Sleep On Latex does offer this mattress in soft and firm as well. For this review I tested the medium 9″ version, but I’ve included estimations of the soft and firm feels based on discussions I had with the SleeponLatex company.
To begin with, the Sleep On Latex is only the third 100% latex mattress I have had the opportunity of testing. A majority of the time I review mattresses that contain a layer or two of latex (ex. Brooklyn Bedding), or even a latex alternative (ex. Avena foam). That said, this mattress is much different that the others I have reviewed thus far.
As I first lied down on this mattress, I experienced a feel that was not quite like the previous latex mattresses I have tested. The level of sinkage was similar, but the overall feel and support was a little different. With regards to the sinkage, this mattress provided the traditional latex style of compression.
The foam layers did not contour as dramatically around my body, but instead created more of a generalized level of sinkage around my body as a whole. This is certainly a positive for those sleepers who are looking to avoid that stuck or trapped feeling that traditional memory foam tends to create.
Now as we move onto the support of this mattress, this is where I began to notice a difference. At 140 pounds, I was expecting to sink in slightly and receive a small amount of support from the top layer while most of the support came from the bottom layer. That was not the case. Even though I’m considered a lighter sleeper, I was able to sink all the way through the top layer of latex and ended up hitting the “support wall” from the firmer bottom layer.
This created some pressure points on my side that I was not entirely comfortable sleeping on. As I rolled over to my stomach (my primary sleeping position) I found myself in a much more enjoyable state of sleep. Although I did sink through the top layer of latex on my stomach, I was not engaging with the support wall as dramatically.
GUIDE: How to choose a mattress?
In other words, sleeping on my stomach led to a much more balanced feel with regards to the bottom layer. My weight was spread out evenly across the mattress, whereas on my side my hips and shoulders had a tendency to dig into that bottom layer. Sleeping on my back was virtually the same story as my stomach. Balanced sinkage and support instead of unwanted pressure points.
If you are a side sleeper who really loves the idea of a latex mattress, I believe you would be much happier with the soft version of the Sleep On Latex mattress. The top layer is just a touch thicker, meaning you have more comfort foam between you and the firmer base layer of latex. Additionally, side sleepers could couple the medium mattress with one of the Sleep On Latex toppers. This would add a little more softness to the medium mattress and allow you to avoid jumping into a very soft mattress.
The ability of the Sleep On Latex mattress to remain cool was one of my favorite features. Although this can be somewhat expected of a latex mattress, you can never be entirely sure until you have slept on it. From my experience, the latex was able to breath extremely well. Additionally, the organic cotton, wool quilted cover is a nice extra. Cotton already breathes well on its own, but the wool quilting helps to insulate the foam layers from absorbing sleeping surface heat.
FAQ: Best latex mattress
Bounce was one area where I was left wanting more on this mattress. Even though this is a 100% latex mattress, the bounce was much less than what I expected. During my sleeping test I felt as if the mattress had somewhat of a dead feel. The latex was still able to respond almost instantaneously, but did not have enough strength to offer a significant level of bounce. This is not necessarily a bad thing, but for those couples who enjoy bounce for amorous activities or other daily activities, this is something you will want to keep in mind.
The low level of bounce does mean almost no motion transfer. Therefore, if you or your partner tend to be woken up by the slightest of movements, the Sleep On Latex mattress could be a good option. Not once did my wife or I wake each other due to changing positions on the mattress. The latex does an excellent job of absorbing almost all of the energy created during movement.
All in all, the Sleep On Latex mattress is nice, but definitely a mattress designed for latex lovers. If you’re a fan of more traditional memory foam, coil, or hybrid mattresses, this one may not be the most appropriate option for you. However, for those sleepers who enjoy the feel of latex and are okay with a mattress design that dissipates much of the bounce, it can be a good fit.
All mattress reviews on Sleepopolis go through a short series of sinkage tests. These tests are designed to help better communicate how each mattress performs under various positions, pressures, and weights.
- Lying on back – while lying on my back with all of my weight spread evenly across the mattress, I saw 2″ of sinkage.
- Lying on side – as I rolled over to my side, I saw 2.5″ of sinkage.
- Sitting on the edge (conservative) – while sitting on the edge with my butt slightly back on the mattress, I saw 3″ of sinkage.
- Sitting on the edge (aggressive) – in more aggressive sitting position with all of my weight directly on the edge, I saw 3.5″ of sinkage.
- Standing in the middle – with all of my weight at one point on the mattress, I saw 5″ of sinkage.
Keep in mind, sinkage results may vary based on body weight and body type. As a reference point, I weigh 140 pounds.
These prices are based on the 9″ medium firm mattress. Sleep On Latex also offers this mattress in 7″ version. Both thicknesses are available in soft, medium, and firm.
- Shipping – free, compressed in a box, arrives in 3-5 business days
- Warranty – 10 years
- Trial Period – 30 nights
- Made in the USA
I would recommend the Sleep On Latex mattress to sleepers who:
- Want the option of a soft, medium, or firm mattress – Sleep On Latex offers this mattress in 3 different firmness levels. The soft version comes in at a 4-4.5 out of 10 on the firmness scale, where 10 is the most firm. The medium brings home a 6-6.5 out of 10 and the firm lands between an 8-8.5 out of 10.
- Want a latex mattress – as a latex mattress there will be quicker response times and more of a generalized contour around your body. The hug is not like memory foam, which is more pronounced, in most cases. You’ll want to be certain you enjoy the feel of all latex.
- Want more natural materials – this mattress does contain an organic cotton cover as well as 100% all natural latex foam. Therefore, it is one of the more natural mattress options available, especially at this price point.
If you’re looking for more information on the Sleep On Latex mattress, check them out on Amazon.
Sleep On Latex Mattress
- Edge Support
The Sleep on Latex mattress offers a surprising value for a latex mattress. Crafted with layers of natural Dunlop latex and wrapped in an organic cotton cover, the Sleep on Latex mattress creates great response and cooling for sleepers. The bounce isn’t quite as high with this latex mattress as I’ve experienced with other latex mattresses, which makes it slightly less ideal for sex, but better with respect to motion transfer. In any case, it’s a very good value for the money, especially for those desiring more natural materials.
Latest posts by Logan Block (see all)
- 25 Days of Giving 2020 – Dreamfoam Mattress Giveaway! - December 25, 2020
- 25 Days of Giving 2020 – Saatva Mattress Giveaway! - December 24, 2020