I’m extra pumped about this review because we’re taking a look at two of my favorite mattress toppers on the market: the Response Gel and Cooling Copper toppers from ViscoSoft. Crafted from plush memory foam and infused with innovative cooling tech, these toppers are designed to keep you cozy all night long. But are they right for you?
To help you find out, I’m breaking down all the info you need to know before you buy, from how they’re built to how they feel and everything in between. So kick back and get ready for my full review of the Visco mattress toppers.
Founded in 2007, ViscoSoft is a bedding industry veteran that began with one mission in mind — to make good sleep accessible to everybody. Now, the brand offers everything from mattresses and sheets to pillows and blankets, and anything that’s returned or unused is donated to those in need.
While I’ve never had the pleasure of reviewing a ViscoSoft product before, I’m about to get up close and personal with the Response Gel and Cooling Copper mattress toppers. After all, the only way to really know a sleep accessory is to test it for yourself! Let’s get started.
What Are ViscoSoft Mattress Toppers Made Of?
Spoiler alert: Both ViscoSoft mattress toppers are made from memory foam. However, each one features a unique construction purposefully designed for different types of sleepers. The Copper topper, for example, is extra thick and cooling, while the Response Gel topper is lighter, easier to maneuver, and easier on the wallet!
Now let’s take a close examination of each topper’s construction so you can get a better idea about which is best for you.
Response Gel Topper
This topper is made from memory foam, a material known for its slow response to pressure and ability to contour to your body’s shape. Additionally, the foam is infused with a gel used to prevent it from trapping heat, and keep it at a comfortable, neutral temperature.
Although memory foam tends to have a slow response to pressure, this foam is crafted to have a slightly quicker response to pressure, which sets it apart from other memory foam toppers I’ve tested. Sleepers who love the feel of memory foam but wish it were a bit bouncier might be particularly compatible with this topper!
This topper does not come with a cover fabric or corner straps, so it’s up to you to secure it beneath your fitted sheet. Don’t worry though — once you’ve made your bed, your topper should stay put.
The Response Gel topper that I’m testing is 2 inches deep, which might appeal to those who aren’t looking for something extra plush or thick. That said, this topper is offered in a 3-inch option for sleepers who prefer a taller profile and/or need more pressure relief at sensitive areas like the hips and shoulders.
Essentially this means that while the gel is not cooling, it’s working to keep your topper from heating up.
Cooling Copper Topper
This topper is four inches deep, and made from the same foam as the Response Gel topper. But instead of liquid gel, it’s infused with copper.
Weaving threads of copper into a mattress topper might sound unusual, but this is not the first copper-infused sleep accessory I’ve tested. In fact, many brands praise copper for its cooling and antimicrobial properties and use it in pillows, mattress pads, and sheets.
That said, this topper is crafted for hot sleepers as copper can serve to draw heat away from the body… But what makes it extra cool is its phase change cover fabric. Phase change material is prominently featured within the world of cooling accessories because it’s designed to feel cool to the touch, no matter how many times you wash it.
More: Check out my roundup of the best cooling pillows on the market!
Personally, I run very hot and phase change material is the only thing that can cool me down quickly. And something else that’s nice about this cover is that it’s got four adjustable corner straps that keep your topper securely affixed to the bed.
What Do ViscoSoft Mattress Toppers Feel Like?
Now that we know what these toppers are made of, let’s dive deeper into how each one feels and which sleepers might be most compatible with each one.
Response Gel Topper: Soft, Cozy, & Budget-Friendly
As far as firmness goes, I give both toppers a rating of about 4.5 (with 1 being the softest, and 10 being the most firm.) Sleepers looking to add some plush comfort to their mattress would do well with either topper.
That said, it’s important to note that the Response Gel topper only comes in 2 and 3 inch depth options. If you’re a heavier sleeper, have broad shoulders, or are just looking for an extra-thick topper, you might be better off with the Cooling Copper topper. However, the smaller stature of this topper does make it easier to maneuver on the mattress.
While I did find the firmness and feel to be pretty similar with both toppers, there is one main difference between them — temperature. This topper is temperature-neutral, meaning it doesn’t feel warm or cool. Some of you may already know that memory foam has a reputation for trapping body heat, and I was impressed by this topper’s ability to remain neutral.
Not to mention, sleepers on a budget might like to know that this topper comes at a surprisingly affordable price point. In my experience, memory foam toppers start at $100, but this one ranges from $50-$80. If you’re looking for a high-quality foam topper that won’t break the bank, I heartily recommend you give this one a try.
Cooling Copper Topper: Soft, Cooling, and Extra-Thick
I would also rank this topper’s firmness at about 4.5 on the scale, making it ideal for sleepers who prefer a soft feel. But, personally, I prefer this topper because it’s thicker and much cooler.
I tend to sleep hot, and the phase change material that covers this topper makes it feel like it’s been refrigerated. As I said, I’m a big fan of phase change material and this topper is a great example of what this textile technology can do. Despite all my rolling around, this topper never lost its icy-crisp feel.
That said, it’s hard to know just how effective the copper infusion is because cover fabric is so cool to the touch. Don’t get me wrong — I’m not complaining! I just can’t say for sure that the copper helps this topper stay cool.
What I can say, however, is that this topper’s extra-thick four inch profile really helped to relieve pressure throughout my whole body. Mattress toppers are typically 1-3 inches tall, so I quite enjoyed the added depth this topper provided.
The Bottom Line
Overall, I am pretty impressed by both mattress toppers, and think that sleepers of all styles could enjoy either one. But I think hot sleepers are likely to be more compatible with the Cooling Copper Topper, and those who prefer a temperature-neutral topper are better off with the Response Gel Topper.
Additionally, it’s important to remember that this foam may have a slightly quicker response to pressure than what you’re used to. Memory foam does tend to have a very slow response to pressure which allows for a deep sink into the material, but these toppers are a bit more buoyant (just a bit!)
I found the soft level of firmness to lend itself well to back and side sleeping. Stomach sleepers tend to need firmer support in order to maintain a neutral spine, so if you prefer the prone position, you may want to try before you buy. But when it comes to back and side sleeping, I really enjoyed the soft feel and balanced pressure relief !
Should I Buy A ViscoSoft Mattress Topper?
Okay sleepers, not that you know what each topper is made of, let’s recap the highlights:
- Memory Foam – Both toppers offer a cozy memory foam feel that contours your body’s shape and relieves pressure at sensitive areas like the shoulders and hips. Keep in mind, though, that this foam might be a bit more buoyant than other memory foams. Sleepers who love the feel of foam but don’t want to sink too deeply into the material should give ViscoSoft a try!
- Temperature Regulation – I really appreciate how well these toppers dissipate heat. The liquid gel keeps the Response Gel topper at a comfortable temperature, while the Copper Topper is super cool to the touch.
- Depth – The Response Gel topper comes in 2 and 3 inch depth options and the Cooling Copper topper is 4 inches deep; so sleepers have a wide range of thicknesses from which to choose. Heavier sleepers or those looking for extra pressure relief might find that four inches provides a bit more comfort, but I found both to be well suited to every sleeping position.
- Trial Period – Both toppers comes with a 60-day trial period, which means you’ve got some time to try before you buy. If, within 60 days, you decide these toppers aren’t right for you, just send them back for a full refund.
ViscoSoft Mattress Topper Complaints
When it comes to craftsmanship, I’ve got no complaints. However, there are a few things to consider before you make your purchase:
- Cover Fabric – Keep in mind that the Response Gel topper has no cover fabric, and the Copper topper’s cover is very cool to the touch. If you’re looking for a mattress topper with a temperature-neutral cover fabric, you might want to look elsewhere.
- Wash Care – This memory foam cannot be washed my machine, and must only be spot cleaned with a damp cloth and mild detergent. The phase change cover fabric on the Cooling Copper topper can be washed on a cool gentle cycle and dried on a low heat setting.
- Price – Sleepers on a budget are more likely to be compatible with the Response Gel topper, which ranges in price from $50-$80 (which I have to say is a great value). The Cooling Copper topper ranges from $219-$350 which is obviously more expensive, but it’s backed by a 5-year warranty. Not to mention, it’s thicker and features cooling properties.
Anything Else I Should Know?
- Pricing – $50-$80 (Response Gel), $219-$350 (Cooling Copper)
- Sizing – Twin, Twin XL, Full, Queen, King, Cali King
- Wash Care – foam is spot clean only, PCM cover fabric can be washed on gentle cycle and dried on a low setting
- 60-Day Trial
- Free Shipping & Returns – within the U.S.
- CertiPUR-US Certified
Well folks, now you know everything there is to know about these ViscoSoft toppers and you’re on your way to determining which is right for you. In the meantime, don’t forget to like and subscribe to our YouTube channel and follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram for the answers to all your sleep needs!