A set of throw pillows can upgrade an entire bed, bedroom, or other living space in one fell swoop. These sets typically include four or six color-coordinated pillows in a range of designs, so they provide visual interest and diversity while maintaining a cohesive look for your bedroom. It’s also important to note that many throw pillow sets are actually sets of throw pillow covers, so you’ll probably need to purchase pillow inserts separately.
Not sure how to choose the best throw pillow set for your needs? The first step is to think about your preferences when it comes to colors and designs. Also consider your budget, the number of throw pillow covers you need (e.g. four or six), and whether it’s essential to have a product that’s machine-washable. Then check out our roundup to get started with some stellar options!
HOMFINER Set of 6 Decorative Throw Pillow Covers
- The large set comes with six covers, each in a different modern design.
- Five of the covers are made from 100% cotton; one is made from vegan faux leather.
- Double-stitched seams and quality fabrics mean these should be durable throw pillow covers.
- The “invisible” zippers won’t detract from the overall look.
- The cotton covers might need to be lint-rolled on a regular basis, which can be a bit of a hassle.
- The white covers are on the thinner side, so you’ll probably need to stuff them with white pillow inserts to avoid darker colors showing through.
The six-piece HOMFINER Set of 6 Decorative Throw Pillow Covers feature a modern design that should jive with a variety of bedroom color palettes. Quality materials and double-stitched seams should ensure these hold up well over the long-term.
BLEUM CADE Throw Pillow Covers
- The throw pillow covers come in several color choices and feature four modern, geometric designs.
- The polyester peach material is soft to the touch and seems fairly durable.
- The covers are machine-washable and dryer-friendly.
- This is a fairly budget-friendly throw pillow set.
- The white sections are thin and a little transparent, so a darker or designed insert might show through.
- The backside of the covers is white; the design doesn’t extend to both sides of the cover. This might annoy some people.
The geometric BLEUM CADE Throw Pillow Covers come in several color choices. The machine-washable covers are soft to the touch and budget-friendly.
Phantoscope Set of 4 New Living Series
- The throw pillow covers are available in a wide variety of vibrant colors.
- The invisible zipper closure ensures that the zipper won’t detract from the pillow covers’ overall look.
- The covers are machine-washable, so it’s easy to clean them at home.
- This is a very budget-friendly throw pillow set.
- Certain colors might not exactly match their pictures.
- The fabric is on the thinner side, which won’t appeal to everyone.
The vibrant Phantoscope Set of 4 New Living Series throw pillow covers are available in a range of colors. The invisible zipper closure creates a smooth finish.
TongXi Decorative Soft Throw Pillow Covers
- The throw pillow covers come in tons of vibrant, unique prints and patterns.
- The fabric is a blend of cotton and linen, which is crisp and cool to the touch.
- The covers are machine-washable, and the manufacturer says the colors are fade-resistant.
- This is a relatively inexpensive set of four throw pillow covers.
- The back of each cover is white; the pattern doesn’t extend to both sides.
- The zipper doesn’t seem to be very durable and might give out after some use.
Choose from tons of unique prints with the TongXi Decorative Soft Throw Pillow Covers. The machine-washable covers are made from a soft blend of cotton and linen.
Faylapa 6-Pack Decorative Cushion Covers
- Given that this set includes six throw pillow covers, you’re unlikely to find a cheaper set for the price.
- The set is available in tons of colors and patterns, so it’s easy to customize to existing decor.
- The hidden zipper won’t detract from the overall aesthetic.
- The covers are machine-washable and dryer-friendly.
One con? The material might feel a little scratchy, so these don’t have the coziest feel.
The Faylapa 6-Pack Decorative Cushion Covers provide six throw pillow covers at an extremely budget-friendly price. The machine-washable covers are available in tons of colors and patterns.
How We Picked
To select our top choices for this roundup of best throw pillow sets, we focused on the following criteria.
Because throw pillows are most often used for decoration, the way they look is important. That’s why we made sure to include options that provide tons of choices when it comes to colors, patterns, designs, and so on. No matter whether you’re looking for floral prints, geometric shapes, vibrant colors, or minimalist designs, there should be an option here for pretty much every aesthetic.
Ease of Care
It’s common for people to eat, drink, or engage in other accident-prone activities around throw pillows, which means you’re probably going to want to wash throw pillow covers every so often. (Plus, it’s just good hygiene!) So we prioritized options that are machine-washable and dryer-friendly for easy at-home care.
For the most part, we prioritized options that are soft and cozy to the touch. Because who wants to cuddle up with a cushion that feels like a porcupine? These options come in different materials including cotton, linen, and polyester, so you can choose according to both your feel and materials preferences.
The sight of shiny zippers can detract from the overall look of a throw pillow set, and exposed zippers can also pinch skin and make the pillows less comfortable. For these reasons, we focused on options with hidden zipper closures.
Sleepopolis Buying Tips
Trying to choose the best throw pillow set for your needs? Consider the following:
- Budget. Throw pillow sets can range widely in price, from around $15 to over $40 for six pillow covers. If you’re on a tight budget, that’s a quick way to eliminate a lot of choices.
- Aesthetics. After budget, this is probably the most important factor to consider. If you have strong design preferences or you’re trying to match the pillows to existing decor, that will help refine your search.
- Materials. Do you have strong preferences when it comes to whether you want throw pillows that are cotton, linen, polyester, vegan leather, or another material? This is another quick way to narrow your search.
A new throw pillow set lets you upgrade your sleep space to create a look that’s more welcoming, chic, cozy, cohesive, or all of the above. There are tons of great options out there, so think about your budget and design preferences and then get shopping!
What is the purpose of throw pillows?
Throw pillows can have several purposes ranging from purely decorative to functional. On the decorative end of the spectrum, throw pillows can add a pop of color to a room or tie together other design elements. From a functional perspective, throw pillows can be used to provide extra support while lounging in bed, on a couch or chair, and so on.
Why are they called throw pillows?
The reason throw pillows got their name is baked into the name itself. People often toss (or throw) these pillows onto a couch, chair, or bed to create a casual-yet-put-together aesthetic. They also might toss these pillows around to different positions in the process of getting comfortable.
What is a pillow sham?
A pillow sham is a removable pillow cover that goes over a pillow insert. These shams provide a quick way of upgrading a pillow’s look without purchasing a whole new pillow. They’re also usually machine-washable, which makes it easy to keep them clean.
Latest posts by Logan Block (see all)
- 25 Days of Giving 2020 – Dreamfoam Mattress Giveaway! - December 25, 2020
- 25 Days of Giving 2020 – Saatva Mattress Giveaway! - December 24, 2020