If you’re not already familiar with Pillow Cube, the brand has created pillows that they claim are the pillow for side sleeping. Made in an ergonomic cube shape, this memory foam pillow is meant to support side sleepers’ heads and necks to help keep them comfortable all night long.
But does the Pillow Cube live up to its goal? In this review, I put the Pillow Cube Pro to the test. I assessed this rectangular pillow for support, comfort, cooling, and more to help give you the best idea of whether or not it’s the right pillow for you.
Short on time? Skip down to my review summary.
N.B. The Pillow Cube Pro comes in three heights: 4 inches, 5 inches, and 6 inches. I tested the 5-inch version.
Is the Pillow Cube Pro a Good Pillow for You?
Whether or not a pillow will suit your individual needs depends on factors like your preferred sleeping position and what kind of feel you like, be it soft and squishy or firm and supportive. Take a look at who I think will and will not like this pillow.
Who should try the Pillow Cube Pro
- I agree with the makers of Pillow Cube — this is a great pillow for side sleepers. As a side sleeper myself, I found that my head was nicely supported.
- Side sleepers with neck pain should definitely check this pillow out. It will help keep your neck in line with the rest of your spine, which helps prevent neck and back pain.
- Back and side combination sleepers should really like the Pillow Cube Pro. Unlike the original Pillow Cube, which is cube-shaped, this pillow has a rectangular shape so you can easily toss and turn without moving the pillow.
- Hot sleepers should be happy with this pillow. It’s made with a breathable cover and its foam is designed with cooling in mind.
Who should not try the Pillow Cube Pro
- Stomach sleepers are not going to get what they need from this pillow. I’d recommend they opt for a softer, lower loft pillow that will prevent a bend from forming in their neck. Check out our best pillows for stomach sleepers if that’s you.
- Anyone after a moldable pillow. This pillow is made from a solid block of foam, which means you won’t be able to move the fill around.
- Budget shoppers might want to look elsewhere. This pillow is on the pricier side.
- Sleepers looking for a traditional pillow. This rectangular pillow has a unique feel and look, which is something to keep in mind.
What Does the Pillow Cube Pro Feel Like?
Now that you have an idea of whether or not this pillow will work for your needs, let’s discuss how it feels. To start, this is a memory foam pillow; this material has a slow response to pressure and offers lots of contouring and pressure relief.
Pillow Cube Pro Firmness
Before we go into this pillow’s firmness, I’d like to share which firmnesses work best for which sleepers. In general, side sleepers need a firm pillow, back sleepers need a medium-firm pillow, and stomach sleepers need a soft pillow. These firmness levels help promote a neutral spinal alignment in each position, which helps prevent neck and back pain.
The Pillow Cube Pro has a medium-firm feel. It offers some nice sinkage, but it still has quite a bit of support. You’ll feel this pillow contouring around your neck, but you won’t sink all the way through. This feel is best for side sleepers and back sleepers, though I’d recommend back sleepers go with the lowest loft version of this pillow (more on that below).
Pillow Cube Pro Loft
Similar to firmness level, specific pillow lofts work best for specific sleepers. In general, side sleepers need a high loft (5 inches or higher) pillow, back sleepers need a mid-loft pillow (3 to 5 inches), and stomach sleepers need a low loft pillow (3 inches or lower). These lofts help keep the neck in line with the shoulders, which prevents shoulder pain and neck strain.
Again, I tested the 5-inch Pillow Cube Pro. It also comes as a 4-inch and 6-inch pillow. Below, you’ll see how it felt when I tested it in different sleeping positions.
Side — This position felt great. My head felt nicely supported and I liked how the pillow contoured around my neck. This is definitely a comfortable pillow for side sleepers.
Back — I was also a fan of this position. I experienced a pleasant mix of support and pressure relief. However, I’d steer most back sleepers to the slightly lower loft 4-inch version of this pillow, which should keep the neck more in line with the spine.
Stomach — Stomach sleeping was the one unpleasant position. I felt that my neck was bending upwards, which I could tell would cause pain over time. Stomach sleepers will get a better sleep on a lower loft pillow.
Under the Arm — I wasn’t a huge fan of placing this pillow under my arm. Its rectangular shape makes it feel awkward, like you’re hugging a block.
Between the Legs — I also didn’t really like the feel of having this pillow between my legs. Again, the rectangular shape made it feel awkward to place between my knees.
What is the Pillow Cube Pro Made Of?
So now that we know what the Pillow Cube Pro feels like, let’s discuss what materials make up that unique feel.
Pillow Cover – This pillow has a soft, breathable cover that should help wick away moisture to help keep you sleeping cool.
Pillow Fill – The pillow is filled with a block of 60 degree memory foam. This nano carbon is meant to hold its shape for a long time, and is much more cooling than traditional memory foam.
This pillow’s materials are hypoallergenic and antimicrobial.
Is the Pillow Cube Pro Good for Hot Sleepers?
Overall, I’d comfortably say that this is a good pillow for hot sleepers. I spent quite a bit of time laying on this pillow, and I felt that it retained a pretty cool temperature. Its memory foam core is specifically designed to prevent sleepers from overheating. If you’re after a cooling pillow, but aren’t sure the Pillow Cube Pro is right for you, I’d recommend checking out our best cooling pillows roundup.
Pillow Cube also offers pillowcases, but if you’re after an especially cooling pillowcase, I’d also recommend checking out our best cooling sheets roundup.
Pillow Cube Pro Sizes and Prices
Before you go ahead and throw out your old pillow, I’d recommend checking out the dimensions and prices of the Pillow Cube Pro. Be sure to click one of the coupons on this page for the latest discount.
Price listed will be before discount or offer for each size.
|Pro 4-inch||12" x 24" x 4"||$119|
|Pro 5-inch||12" x 24" x 5"||$119|
|Pro 6-inch||26" x 30" x 6"||$119|
I think the Pillow Cube Pro lives up to Pillow Cube’s promise: it’s a great pillow for side sleepers. I tested the 5-inch loft version, but I’d say the 4-inch is best for those with narrow shoulders, while those with broad shoulders will want to go for the 6-inch version. Though this pillow doesn’t have the look of a typical bed pillow, it should help prevent neck and shoulder pain, which is a pretty good trade-off. The one group I think should look elsewhere is stomach sleepers — these sleepers will be better off with a softer, lower loft pillow.
Pillow Cube Policies and FAQs
How does the Pillow Cube Pro ship?
Pillow Cube offers free shipping on orders over $99.
Does the Pillow Cube Pro come with a sleep trial?
Not exactly, but they do have a generous return policy. Pillow Cube offers returns and exchanges within 60 days of purchase. Pillow Cube offers free return shipping for exchanges, but refunds are subject to a $20 return shipping fee.
Does the Pillow Cube Pro come with a warranty?
Is the Pillow Cube machine washable?
The Pillow Cube Pro cover is machine washable, but the Pillow itself is spot-clean only.
Pillow Cube Pro Vs
Pillow Cube also offers the Pillow Cube classic. Take a look at how the two compare below.
Pillow Cube Pro vs Pillow Cube Classic Pillow
- Though the pillows are made of the same material, the pillow size is different. The Pillow Cube Pro is a rectangle, while the Pillow Cube Classic is a cube.
- The Pillow Cube Pro is a better choice for combination sleepers who won’t want to move their pillow as they shift positions throughout the night.
- The Pillow Cube Classic is less expensive than the Pillow Cube Pro.
- Learn more about the Pillow Cube Classic here.
Check out how the Pillow Cube Pro performed in our star rating guide below.